PDA

View Full Version : An emotional roller coaster

pamela_a
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't know if I can handle any more. The past 24 hours have had me on a complete emotional roller coaster. My wife is not well and had an appointment with a new doctor today. Last night she sends me to the store to pick out an outfit for her to wear (she trusts my fashion sense). She told me before I left to pick up something for myself too. She's in between sizes so needless to say finding something she likes and that fits is a challenge at best. While looking for her I found a cute black dress. After picking out her things I tried the dress on and was quite pleased with how it fit so I got it. After our 17 year old son was in bed I put the dress back on to get her opinion. We agreed it was a little shorter than my preference ( it's just above the knees) but it looked nice so she said I could keep it.

Fast forward 12 hours. She's in "one of her moods" and suddenly doesn't want to go to the doctor. I press it since this is a new doctor and we had to get a special authorization from insurance for her to see him. She also needs to be seen since she's going to run out of some of her medications. I leave work to go home to first try and covince her to go and second to be there ready to take her if/when she changes her mind. Bad Idea. The more adamant she got about not going the more frustrated I got. Needless to say I should have known better and just quit but I was so frustrated I let it turn into a shouting match with too many bad things said by both parties ( shame on me. I know I should have just been a big girl and let it go but just I couldn't).

One of the things she said was how our daughter (she's 31, married, and has a beautiful girl who will be 4 in a couple of days) was embarrased by me but wouldn't talk to me about it. I personally didn't believe it since my daughter and I are very much alike, we both speak our mind and she knows there is absolutely nothing she can't ask me or talk to me about (whether I'll answer is a completely different thing). Driving back to work I start thinking about it, which starts me crying again. I have to know so I pull into a parking lot and call her. When she answers all I can do is cry and tell her I'm sorry for embarassing her. We talk for a while, she tells me she's not embarassed by me, but is confused about my clothing ( I dress fem full time and have for the past few years) but never knew how to ask me about it. I told her honestly feel that if I could spend the rest of my life as a woman I'd be happy but at this time I really didn't know what was going to happen. We continue to talk for a while and things eventually progressed to family and other more normal topics. I'm sure, like me, she has more questions than there are answers at this point, but at least I know she still loves me and there isn't anything bad between us.

When I got home from work my wife and I apologized to each other and we talked a bit while I made supper. We talked a while longer after supper and things seem to be pretty much back to normal, but what the future holds if I continue to transition is anybodys guess and something we'll have to work out as we go. She says she loves me no matter what but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

So now that only leaves the hardest person to tell, and that's my 17 year old son. In a way I'm thinking he might almost be the easiest since he sees how I dress daily and we get along great, or at least as well as a parent and a 17 year old can get along :). I'm thankful that his friends who are almost always over (our house has been declared one of the official "hang out" places) all seem to be okay with me and how I dress.
Once that is done the only remaining thing for me to do is to figure out where I'm going and that, I fear, is going to be the most difficult of all. I've had one appointment with a gender therapist but I didn't "click" with him. I have another appointment with a female therapist this time but it's not till June so I guess I'll just have to keep waiting it out.

Thank you for allowing me to get this off my chest. I think we have some of the greatest girls in the world here and I really appreciate the opportunity we have to talk other girls who understand. I feel better already.

Hugs to all,

-Paula-

Kathi Lake
04-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Paula,

We're so happy that you choose to trust us with your feelings. Laugh. Cry. Scream. Whatever you feel the need for, we're here to support you!

From what I hear, transitioning to the process of transitioning is the hardest part. Your family isn't sure where you're headed. Your friends aren't sure where you're headed. Heck, you're probably not sure where you're going. You know that you have friends here that will support you unconditionally. You have friends here who have been where you're going, and can tell you the bumps and turns along the way. Learn from that.

Kathi

Deedee Dupree
04-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Dear Paula,

I hear you. All I can say is please accept my very best wishes for you and your family going forward.

dd

Sheila
04-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Paula :hugs:, yeah sometimes we should just swallow things and let them go until we are calmer ..................... but to my cost last week I know how hard that is, take the positives from the fall out & usually there are some:), re-group and make your decisions over a period of time.

Hopefully your wife will get another appointment to see the specalist soon :hugs:

carhill2mn
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Paula,
I am sorry that you have had such a difficult day. I hope things are better now. I do
have a couple of questions: Did your wife go to see the new Dr.?; Are you seeing a
therapist because you are contemplating being more "full-time" than you are currently?

pamela_a
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Thank you all very much, I appreciate your thoughts and encouragements greatly.

Hi Paula,
I am sorry that you have had such a difficult day. I hope things are better now. I do
have a couple of questions: Did your wife go to see the new Dr.?; Are you seeing a
therapist because you are contemplating being more "full-time" than you are currently?

Yes Carole, things are better, at least for now. My wife has to try and make another appointment but he's out of the office for a couple of weeks. As for the therapist, yes I'm looking into starting transitioning. As I told my daughter, I believe I'd be very happy living the rest of my life as a woman.

-Paula-

Tina B.
04-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Paula, sounds like your wife was having a bad day, and let it spill over on to you. Sometimes it hard to remember not to let your bad days rub off on the family. I know starting off with a new doctor, can be very trying, you have to let it slide. Having to wait until June, I would say you are both on edge, walk gently around each other, that is the real power of love!
Tina