PDA

View Full Version : Said to a customer "I love your dress"

PrettyFlowingGown
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I had quite a moment yesterday with a customer at work. I've never said this before, and it came out quite easy. I said to a lady down an aisle "I love your dress, its very beautiful, and where did you get it". Her reply was a little "umm hmmm" at first, but she was quite good with me. She said "I bought it at susans on the Gold coast a few months ago". I'm not sure if she had suspicions I was a crossdresser or not, she probably did, but she had no worries with how I aproached her. When she walked off, she came back a few minutes later, and said "Have a lovely day", I said "You too". I've seen her before in the store, and shes always very feminine but this dress was really pretty, and had such a pretty floral patern. I've got on the susans site but it must of been out of season.

Tricia Lee
05-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I've been trying to do this as much as possible lately. Sunday, at church, my wife and I were talking to our associate pastor and his wife. As my wife and the AP were discussing something, I took the opportunity to compliment his wife on her outfit. She commented that she put it together at the last minute because they were supposed to where black on stage for worship, and almost everything she has is colorful.

Funny thing is, quite a while back our AP complimented my wife on the high heels she was wearing. I've noticed his eyebrows look like they've had some work done. I wonder.... :)

Christina2008
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I told a girl at work I liked her new shoes, she said she wasn’t sure whether to take that as a compliment or be worried that as a man I actually noticed. If only she knew I wasn’t 100% male :o

leesametz
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
i had a similar experience myself. although the whole transaction could have been construed from a couple of different ways...

i was getting tires on the car and an older (than me) woman came in with no wedding rings. yeah i look...

she had knee high, high heeled boots with black hose and a lower mid thigh black dress on...

i watched her interact with another waiting customer and determined that there probably WASNT a guy in the house...

as i was leaving i made sure to tell her that her whole outfit was fabulous and that i especially loved her boots. she thanked me without any hesitation...

now she could have thought i was just being considerate, that it was weird that a GUY made such a comment or that i was hoping the compliment would transpire into something a bit more intimate...

it WOULD have been a bit of a 'cougar' experience but if my relationalship status had been different it would have piqued my curiosity...

sandra-leigh
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I told a girl at work I liked her new shoes, she said she wasn’t sure whether to take that as a compliment or be worried that as a man I actually noticed. If only she knew I wasn’t 100% male :o

I was reading a "101 Fun Fashion Tips" book a couple of months ago. It said (apprximately):

Shoes: Trust me on this one: Guys don't notice what shoes you are wearing. And the ones that do, aren't the right kind of guy.

Last night I walked into a Melanie Lynn store to look at the dresses -- their dresses tend to be "gowns" that only the very young or very rich could wear to anywhere other than the prom, but I like to look them over anyhow, as every once in a while I find something nice I can use there.

Anyhow, I walked in, walked straight towards the back where the dresses are, and as I approached the cash in the center of the store, I glanced over at one of the Sales Agents, and without stopping to thing about it, immediately said, "That's a great skirt!". It was a long flowing number in a thin semi-floral fabric, and which complimented her curves without over-emphasizing them. Anyhow, it turned out to be the right thing to say, as she was indeed proud of the skirt.

I've been told several times that it is quite common that when two women meet, they immediately compliment each other on their hair or clothes, so maybe I was just in a feminine zone :heehee: On the other hand, I've also complimented a couple of women on their hair recently (each of them had unusual and artistic dye jobs.) But yeah, part of my "training" while growing up in the 70's was that I wasn't supposed to comment on appearances because we're supposed to value the inner person -- it has taken literally decades for me to get beyond the Women's Lib of my childhood and start being able to express admiration of appearance (in a polite way, of course.)

(By the way, the same SA at ML had assisted me before and recognized me... actually she remembered more about what I had previously tried on there before than I did. :o I tried on several skirts and a couple of dresses; one of the skirts was not bad but especially at the price ($C 139) just didn't have the "Take Me Home!" glow. One of the dresses was interesting but the size was too small; I'll going to try to slip out to one of their other branches and see if the larger sizes work for me.)

Sherry-Stephanie
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't...part of being a female I guess...

In other words if we notice and compliment because we notice and want to compliment then we might be a bit Hmmmstrange that a guy would notice and compliment...but if we don't notice and don't compliment then they get their noses out of joint that we didn't notice this new thing or or new color and didn't say anything...my wife is like that....she gives me 30 seconds to notice something new either in the house on her or whatever...then the trap is sprung....and I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't.....

Teri Jean
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
One of the gals at work came in the other day and had a nice casual outfit on that was a bit more than she normally wore for work and I complimented her on it. She looked quite startled at the compliment but said thank you, she had a function that she was going to later in the day. The thought of a guy saying something good about their appearence does take them back a little but when they realize it is genuine they shift gears so to speak and go with the flow. Be honest and they will accept it.

Keli

Jamie14
05-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I enjoy giving compliments as well- I just try to sound sincere and nice about it- don't want to sound creepy. I especially enjoyed a conversation during a haircut when i told the girl I had a top just like hers. The conversation for the rest of the appt was too much fun!!!

Marissa
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Not sure when it started but I have found that I do compliment women more.. on some things..like shoes, that most guys would not see.. most times i get a nice smile "thank you" in return.. but i don't see that questionable look..as if "he's gay for noticing". Sometimes i may say it differently if its someone i know versus a stranger.. Like when i told an older woman "love your southern accent" after buying makeup that I confessed was for me..LOL..

I'm just happy to get a girl who smiles back after i make a comment.. wish i had the guts to say that when i was younger.. maybe girls would have been more open to me.. ??!!

Hugs,

Miranda09
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Not sure when it started but I have found that I do compliment women more.. on some things..like shoes, that most guys would not see.. most times i get a nice smile "thank you" in return.. but i don't see that questionable look..as if "he's gay for noticing". Sometimes i may say it differently if its someone i know versus a stranger.. Like when i told an older woman "love your southern accent" after buying makeup that I confessed was for me..LOL..

I'm just happy to get a girl who smiles back after i make a comment.. wish i had the guts to say that when i was younger.. maybe girls would have been more open to me.. ??!!

Hugs,

I know what you mean Cassey. Amazing how a simple thing like a compliment to a complete stranger can break down any barriers. Wish I had known this as well...a lifetime ago!!!

StephanieAnn
05-03-2009, 01:18 AM
I complimented a friend at work once. She was wearing this very pretty black and white dress. Had a wide red belt over it with tan hose and red patent pumps. This is an outfit that is out of her normal work attire and I told her I really liked the outfit and she looked pretty in it. She was very receptive and said "Thanks, I have a lot of pretty clothes and I figured I'd start wearing them to work." If only she knew I wish I had that dress and shoes.:o