PDA

View Full Version : First Nail Salon Visit

JoAnnDallas
07-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Well ladies, I got my nails done for the first time in my life. It was a really nice experience and the female nail tech did a very good job. I really loved the hot wax treatment. My hands have never felt so good. I thought about asking about getting Acrylics, but chicken out at the last moment. I have bad nails that split, crack, break, and etc. She did put some nail harder on them and said that would help keep them in shape.

Tristen Cox
07-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Well done, glad you enjoyed yourself :D

CharleneCD
07-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Now your in trouble. Youve been pampered at the nail salon. The side effect to this is you will want to go back again and again and again.......

Holly
07-02-2005, 01:32 AM
and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...:D

JoAnnDallas
07-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Charlene...Holly...my sister made the appointment for me and she told me that I better be careful when my wife gets here in three weeks, she might get Jealous. LOL I'm still thinking of getting Acrylics at some stage. Might have to wait until next time.

Julie
07-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Joann,

I'm sold on acrylics! These things are tough! I have had mine now for over two weeks and I just don't see me taking them off and they aren't about to break off either. :D I have done so many things with them after which I think, "Oh no! I broke it!" but no, they are still on and look fabulous when polished.

Dana mentioned gel nails in the beauty section. I'm going to have to find out more about them. But for now I'm attached to my acrylics, or should I say they are attached to me?:lol:

Holly
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Joann... just do it! I've had acrylics on now for almost three months. Had them filled several times... yesterday most recently. For the 4th of July, she put some red, white and blue fireworks on the 4th finger of each hand. Haven't had a split nail since I started wearing the acrylics. Come on, now.... you know you want to!:D Here's a pic...

JoAnnDallas
07-02-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't know, realy I don't know...ouch ouch, why is my arm hurting so.. ouch.. Oh Oh my arm is being twisted. ouch

CharleneCD
07-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I am with Holly, do it. Getting gels added great thickness to my nails. Most definitely cant chew on them.

Krystal Lee
07-03-2005, 11:11 AM
In redneck country where I live I have found the beauty collage a fun place to go. Have never gotten acrylics but have had a manicure many times. The hot wax and lotion make my hands feel great. Over time (as the girls graduate) different girls have done this service for me and I have had a few apply a clear coat but not all the time. I play it by ear and at times don't feel comfortable asking. Do love the pampered feeling though. Hugs Krystal.

kysmet
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
I guess I'm jaded to salons. My one and only visit to get acrylics done for a conference I was going to attend was bad. The woman that worked on my nails left my fingers sore and actually filed the skin off in places on my cuticles. I watched everything she did and now do my own nails instead. However, I will say that if you have found someone that is careful and gentle with your nails then go for it. Understand this though, acrylics do not allow your nails to breathe and they will get weaker with time. If you want to ensure the safety of your nails I would suggest a strong vitamin e supplement, it helps your bones too. And maybe increase your milk or calcium intake. Check with your doctor or online to find out what suitable doses are for your nails and that won't harm you.

DanaJ
07-04-2005, 06:56 AM
I guess I'm jaded to salons. My one and only visit to get acrylics done for a conference I was going to attend was bad. The woman that worked on my nails left my fingers sore and actually filed the skin off in places on my cuticles. I watched everything she did and now do my own nails instead. However, I will say that if you have found someone that is careful and gentle with your nails then go for it. Understand this though, acrylics do not allow your nails to breathe and they will get weaker with time. If you want to ensure the safety of your nails I would suggest a strong vitamin e supplement, it helps your bones too. And maybe increase your milk or calcium intake. Check with your doctor or online to find out what suitable doses are for your nails and that won't harm you.I have a thread in the Beauty Club that gives tips on how to find a good nail salon/tech. Check it out if you have time, it will definitely address some of the problems you described.

Now, I have to weigh in on the "nails breathing" legend. Nails do not breathe - they are dead cells. This is a old wives tale started to increase business by poor skilled nail techs and NSS (NonStandard Salons), where they will have you remove your acrylic nails every coupleof months, in order to let your "nails breathe". In actuallity, they are merely trying to increase their business so they can then charge you for a full set again.

Properly applied nail enhancements can be worn safely for years without their removal. The key words here are "properly applied". Do not go to one of these corner nail salons and get a full set of acrylic nails for $19.95 and expect them to be properly applied, the corrct product used or to get professional service.

OK, sorry - I am off my soapbox now :)

DanaJ