PDA

View Full Version : Getting a credit card with a female name

ria_ts
05-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Is it possible in the US to get a credit card with a female name (or male name for FTMs) on it?

Jonelle
05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
You can get the card in your name, and make your female name an authorized user.. most companies wil issue a second card in the name of the additional user.

Jena11
05-04-2009, 06:48 AM
What I did is call the bank or go on line and request an extra card, if they ask say it is your sister, and they may ask for the social security number, just say you do not have it with you. I have done it for VS and Wachovia, Wells Fargo, & Bank of America but I know it does not work for Amex, they require a social security number. Jen

Kaitlyn Michele
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
...to get the card you just call the credit card company and ask for a 2nd card holder..

only issue i ever ran into was they asked for my drivers license at macy's....i was using my "michele" card, gave them my male id and that was it
of course, she said thank you sir, even tho i was in full regailia

she was nice so i just smiled...

i've used my michele card three other times with no problem..

btw...as a matter of curiousity, i was told it's actually illegal to do...is this correct?

Anna the Dub
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
So different in the UK, they don't care what name is on the card as long as you pay the bill.

Carole Cross
05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
In the UK, some banks and credit card companies will issue cards in both genders, you just have to ask. :D

divamissz
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I used to use my initials on my credit card instead of my full name. Quite a few women do that to protect their privacy, and the credit card company is used to the request. This way, if you present your card and they ask for an ID, the initials will match.

Of course, when they renewed my card they sent it to me with my full name on it again :(

Empress Lainie
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks so much, everyone!

I just called one of my credit card issuers and asked them to give me an additional card with my female name, "because I am a transgender individual". The support person asked me no other questions.

She said that my request will be processed within 1 business day. However, this does not mean that they have approved my request. She said they will let me know by this time tomorrow if my request is rejected. If approved, I will get the card in 5-7 business days. She said the only reasons for rejection would be if they suspect fraud.

Which part do you think is illegal? Getting and holding a credit card by another name? Showing an ID with a name different from that on the card? Or something else?

I notice that the stores that check ID on presenting credit cards usually check the name on the card to the name on the ID, and then match the photo on the ID to the person before them. How do you get through checkout when the names do not match?

I think the SA you described at Macy's may have tried to make you feel bad on purpose by calling you sir after seeing your ID ... I have heard from an SA at (incidentally) a Macy's in my city who did the same on purpose - she had the power to reject the transaction based on mismatch in the way the person looked and she did not like trans people at that time (a few years ago), so she called the person "sir". Some people are just insensitive. Some of them get over it eventually and learn to respect people.

While I was in process of legally changing my name, I had my credit cards in my old name and my ID in my new name. I explained I was transgendered to the clerk's supervisor and had not gotten the new cards yet, and she approved the sale and use of them. Of course DR cards use is where they don't even ask if you know the pin.

julie w
05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a credit card with my initials and correct last name no mister or mrs
I can use it male or female much less problems ,

Veronica_Jean
05-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!

I think the SA you described at Macy's may have tried to make you feel bad on purpose by calling you sir after seeing your ID ... I have heard from an SA at (incidentally) a Macy's in my city who did the same on purpose - she had the power to reject the transaction based on mismatch in the way the person looked and she did not like trans people at that time (a few years ago), so she called the person "sir". Some people are just insensitive. Some of them get over it eventually and learn to respect people.

I had an experience recently that was the total opposite. I was shopping in Wet Seal with my daughter. When I presented the credit card with a male name on it they asked for my ID. After the SA checked it and handed us our purchase she said "have a nice day ladies". So not all SAs are that disrespectful.

It is a shame they are not focused on getting and keeping a satisfied customer rather than trying to make some kind of social statement while on the job.

Veronica

Sammy777
05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
There are two ways to find out if you can easily get one or not.

The first is go online, sign into your acct, go to add Auth user. If the form does not ask for a Social Security number you are fine.

If you don'y have online access, just call them ask if they require the second card holders SS# or not.

What they do in theses cases is just hold the primary card holder responsible for the payment.
When they ask for the secondary card holder's SS# that means they want both parties to be responsible for paying the card.

If "both parties" happen to be you, then no problem.

Amex and Citibank are two that want a SS#.

Discover, Chase and HSBC do not require it and you can apply for the new card online.
If you do not know the issuing bank, just look on the back of the card, it is usually right at the top.

Capitol One wants you to phone them if requesting a second card but I don't remember if they want a SS# or not..

dilane
05-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I have had a gold Amex card with Diane's name for years, I added it to my account, and used my boy SSN. No problems.

I only use it at bars and restaurants (which normally don't ask for ID).

-- Diane

VickyMI
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I have had a Macys and a Capitalone card for over two years. Just fill out the mailings you get. Once I had the first one Macy's just needed that one to open an account.

First though I made a fake Driver Lic. It was not that hard. Just take a close up of your real one and then photo shop the pic and Name.

However I always bring my real one with me in my purse in case I get stopped by the police and need to show my true ID.

I have on occasion been asked for my Lic. when using my credit cards. My Lic has worked every time.

crystalann
05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
with my discover card I went to the web page put in my info and asked for a new card with my new name. It was sent to me in a few days.

Beth-Lock
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I f you have a male name easily changed into a female/unisex name you could try phoning the card company and simply getting the name changed. I did that. It may or may not work, of course, depending on who you get on the other end of the line.
For example, if your name is Robert, you could change it to Bobbie.
At least your card does not draw attention to you when you buy women's clothes and stuff, even though it may not be the name you really want to have eventually.

Anna the Dub
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Here in the UK now, you never hand your card over to anyone anymore. What you do is put it into a reader, input your pin number and take it out. All to do with increased security, they call it chip and pin. The person behind the counter never lays a finger on your card. Surprised they don't do this in the US, usually they are first with this sort of thing. It is pretty much compulsory here.

Dita_B
06-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Here in Canada it is no problem to get a second card in your femme name... You just apply for a complimentary card on your account in your femme name. Most credit card companies ask you how many complimentary cards you want to have on your account... No explanation, nor social security information necessary... and, the card will be in the mail shortly...

BTW: Here in Canada one can legally refuse to disclose a sin number... Only the government can legally ask you for that info, as far as I know...

My Capital One Master Card has a "Pay Pass" feature built in, so when it comes to paying at the checkout, you just slightly put your card against the sensor and it exchanges all the necessary information automatically.

No signature necessary anymore and no nosy sales associates asking for additional ID. That has all been eliminated with the introduction of the pay pass... And... the card never leaves your hand anymore...

:love:
Dita.

Sharon
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Here in the UK now, you never hand your card over to anyone anymore.....Surprised they don't do this in the US, usually they are first with this sort of thing. It is pretty much compulsory here.

We do the same thing here. I don't know the last time I actually handed my card to a cashier. Your name shows up on the cashier's screen, however, though it never caused me any trouble before I legally changed my name.

Anna the Dub
06-04-2009, 03:16 AM
We do the same thing here. I don't know the last time I actually handed my card to a cashier. Your name shows up on the cashier's screen, however, though it never caused me any trouble before I legally changed my name.

Ah I see, fair enough. I wouldn't care what name came up on screen, it's my card and I will use it if I want, no matter how I look.

Jennifer Marie P.
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
When they ask you for a second card you give them your female name. I have all my cards with my female name on them.