PDA

View Full Version : Be Seen and HEARD!

Hollyster
05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a question. I'm thinking about going out dressed this weekend to a club here in town. I have everything picked out just perfect....except one thing, my voice. I was wondering how you girls talk or vocalize. Do you use your normal male voice or do you change it to maybe something softer? What would be some good advice for someone like me who is going out for the first time with other CD's. Thanks for the help ladies!!

dilane
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
That's a tall order.

Just learn how to bring your voice into your head (out of your chest resonance), raise the pitch 4 notes, and make it a bit more breathy/nasal, moderate the intensity of the voice, modulate the pitch, incorporate feminine eye and head and hand movements, and move the lips a bit more. It's a snap!! Oh, you need to avoid certain male-stereotypical expressions in favor of the femme versions. That's a lot of it, but not all.

OK, once you've got that all figured out, then you have to overcome any self-consciousness about speaking femme.

Long story short, just have fun your first time out, and observe. It will take awhile (unless you're a gifted mime) to be able to speak and move more or less like a nachel' born woman.

Paula Wilder
05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Bring the baritone to at least a tenor (or alto, better yet), make it a little softer, and end your sentences a little higher instead of tapering off lower or monitone. Also, it helps to smile more when you talk - that always comes across more friendly. If all else fails - helium!

Intertwined
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
If all else fails - helium!

Helium?

She is trying to sound more feminine, she is not trying to sound like the chipmunks...:lol:

Shikyo
05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
I've always talked in a soft voice, I was never good at talking loud or anything. I still am not. My wife does not want me to change my voice though, so I'm keeping it the way it's always been. From what I've seen people do mistake me for a girl even with my voice, hard to believe though.

Jan W
05-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Good question Holly(?)

My advice is to talk softly and precisely. You can raise your pitch if you can pull it off but not too many can.

Softly does it girl.

Fab Karen
05-05-2009, 06:14 AM
Talking softly in a nightclub will guarantee NOT being heard. As long as you don't sound like Darth Vader, your voice will be fine.

Angel.Marie76
05-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I've not perfected any kind of altered voice yet myself, so I do indeed feel a little self conscious about talking with folks when I'm out and about dressed and /not/ in a 'safe' environment. When I'm out at a friendly club, I couldn't care less, and the same goes for visiting the local respectably tolerant city. I've not done much dressing and wandering about otherwise.

As Dilane said, just spend your time enjoying yourself and doing your best to be as comfortable as possible. IMHO, working on your voice isn't going to be easy if you're already nervous about other things.

MJ
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm just me. 95% of us don't fool anybody anyhow just go have fun show confidence in yourself.

cindym5_04
05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Talking softly in a nightclub will guarantee NOT being heard. As long as you don't sound like Darth Vader, your voice will be fine.

Actually I think you SHOULD go with the Darth Vader sound. Get one of those voice thingies that has the breathing sound too. Let the guys know that if they don't buy you drinks, then you'll force-choke their asses!! :D

gender_blender
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
No one will hear you speak in a club environment.
I just go to lesbian clubs in Boston and do quite well.

Patricia1
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Try to slide your voice higher up in your larynx so that you feel it resonating in your head. Soften it a bit, move your eyes & hands a lot. And remember that since you're with other cder's who's gonna care. Besides, night clubs are so loud most times that you probably won't be heard clearly no matter what voice you use. Enjoy.

MissConstrued
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
If all else fails - helium!

"Who's that really tall muscular chick with all the balloons?"

As long as you don't sound like Darth Vader, your voice will be fine.

"Er, excuse me, miss?"

"Luke! I am your father!"

Sarah_GG
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Can you just use your normal voice? We went out to a TG club and all the CDers just used their normal voices - it seemed a lot more natural, and some of us GGs have quite nice gravelly voices - think Mariella Frostrup or Marianne Faithful.

All you need to remember is not to belch, keep your knees together when you're sitting down and don't order a pint!

(And leave the balloons at home!) :eek:

TSchapes
05-05-2009, 01:08 PM
A good introduction is one from CandiFLA on Youtube:

s7qSJ19f_QU

I use Compact Disks from:Exceptional Voice (http://www.exceptionalvoice.com/voicefeminization/audiocds.html)

There's more than just pitch to raise, there is also a wider range. There is also a different flow to the speech patterns. Not to mention choice of words, like "that's lovely", or "how cute", etc. Something you would rarely use in guy mode.

Love, Tracy

tricia_uktv
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
No time to practice I suspect. Like others I talk softly and have had no problem. Everyone knows what I am anyway! And that is in the middle of a City not a gay bar. Don't worry about it and have fun!

Fab Karen
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Helium- you don't want to be the new girl "that sounds like a Munchkin" ( Wizard of Oz )

Paula Wilder
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Just kidding about the Helium, but a bit higher works for me. I like the idea of talking like yourself, a bit higher in the throat/head and then project confidence. First few times feel funny, but then you kinda get used to it.