PDA

View Full Version : Outed...two days later...DOH!

Julie York
07-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I just had a comedy moment. I outed myself and didn't even know it.

I was asking in the Beauty thread about cuticle oil because I use solvents for cleaning at work and it messes up my hands. So I thought I'd try some of this oil to protect my hands. .
And then I read the informative thread by Dana about acrylic nail removal and how they come off and the fact you use cuticle oil.

So..armed with this information..passing the chemists I thought, "Oh I wonder if they have any?"

I went in and didn't bother to look. I just asked a nice lady in the shop. She didn't think they had any and wasn't quite sure what it was for. Now the thing is, I am very mechanically minded. I like the science of things and how things work....So ...I didn't really think how it sounded...the conversation went something like this...

"What is it for?"
"Well you know when you wear acrylic nails?"
"Yesss." (she starts to half smile.)
"Well you take them off using acetone..right?"
"Yes!" (Very enthusiastic now. My god a man knows about nails!)
[I'm being all scientific and matter of fact. Not a clue how this is sounding. She's beaming at me now.]

"And you put the cuticle oil on your cuticles to stop the acetone attacking them."
"Oh right!" (Positively grinning now.)
"So that's what I want it for."
"Oh right! Oh dear....I am REALLY sorry we don't have any."
"O.K. no problem."

So I left the shop, she's smiling at me. I'm thinking, what a nice woman. I think she fancies me.

Until this morning when the penny suddenly dropped! DOH!

JoAnnDallas
07-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I think you just made a friend. LOL

DanaJ
07-02-2005, 10:44 AM
OK, not up on all my Brit slang - what does "when the penny suddenly dropped" mean?

And Julie - glad I could do my small part in outting you :D

DanaJ

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-02-2005, 10:45 AM
That's funny.

Tristen Cox
07-02-2005, 10:53 AM
:D Uhm YAR! :D

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-02-2005, 10:56 AM
OK, not up on all my Brit slang - what does "when the penny suddenly dropped" mean?
When "it suddenly dawned on her she had just given herself away in guy mode".

Julie
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
If you stayed, how long do you think it would have taken before you two started talking makeup?

"So I really like this foundation, it hides my beard really well..." :cool:

Holly
07-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Now Julie, that wasn't so bad, was it?:D Maybe next time, you can ask her if the pants you're wearing make you butt look too big. <ducks for cover>

uknowhoo
07-02-2005, 11:32 AM
DOH well...

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile.

Julie York
07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
She was really nice too!

Not sure of exact definition Dana, but it's probably some military thing when you lodged a penny in something and when it dropped you ....erm....I don't know....the enemy was coming....something like that.

It means sudden realisation after a long wait.

biddy
07-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Julie,
Why not give it a little time and drop by the chemist again +? You never know your LUCK could be well and truly in there girl ;)

DanaJ
07-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Julie, next you go in there with a nice set of acrylic nails, and ask her again for the oil :)

DanaJ

Tamara Croft
07-03-2005, 08:54 AM
That's just too funny :p Go to boots, they should sell it there :D And yeah... get a set of acrylics done and then go back to that chemist :p

Wendy me
07-03-2005, 09:47 AM
just shows how mutch we get real comfy in our fem side.....or is that a age thingy ???
anyway always good to know that outrers are out and abought outting themselfes....
thanks tons for shareing that.......