PDA

View Full Version : Could it be in the wash

ErinVa
07-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Here's something to ponder, perhaps the way we are is the way we are supposed to be, from birth that is.
In doing a bit of research to help me accept the way I am, I found the following:
Genes are not destiny. Many people seem to think that we may be able to explain everything from cancer to homosexuality by locating the responsible genes. But in a series of scientific papers starting in 1980, Frederick vom Saal at University of Missouri demonstrated that there are other powerful forces shaping individuals--both females and males--before birth. Genes are not the whole story. Before birth, levels of both male and female sex hormones in the womb can affect the physical characteristics and the behavior of mice, giving rise to great variation in offspring that are genetically identical. By examining human twins, scientists have now revealed similar effects in humans.[2] Thus we now know that hormones are a way that nature provides variation within a species. Profound variation among individuals can be caused by miniscule hormone differences in the womb, differences of a few parts per trillion. (One part per trillion is a million times lower than one part per million.) This is a degree of sensitivity to hormones that approaches the unfathomable, a sensitivity, vom Saal says, "beyond people's wildest imagination." This exquisite sensitivity provides rich opportunities for creating varied offspring from the same genetic stock. However, the dark side is that this same sensitivity also makes the reproductive system vulnerable to serious disruption if something interferes with normal hormone levels.
Perhaps we are just what we are supposed to be. :)

Darlene.
07-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Perhaps we are just what we are supposed to be? :)

I believe you. I really do.

JoAnnDallas
07-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Also take into account that there are five (5) sexs. Two female XX and XXX and two male XY and XYY and the fifth can run from full female to full male or anything in between. XXY. BTW, I had the chance to have a complete genentic makeup done years ago when I worked in medical research at NASA and found out I was a XXY. This explains many of the phsyical differences I have and why doctors suppect I started as twins but asborbed my other twin and came out a single person.

Jonien
07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Also take into account that there are five (5) sexs. Two female XX and XXX and two male XY and XYY and the fifth can run from full female to full male or anything in between. XXY. BTW, I had the chance to have a complete genentic makeup done years ago when I worked in medical research at NASA and found out I was a XXY. This explains many of the phsyical differences I have and why doctors suppect I started as twins but asborbed my other twin and came out a single person.

A verry interesting post
as it has been suggested there may be a connection to the fact that I allso was a twin, my sister unfortunatly came into the world to early and did't make it.

Could there be a connection I don't no

JoAnnDallas
07-03-2005, 06:32 PM
A XXY like myself runs from being 99% female to 99% male. If your on the high end of the scale, your physcially male, but the other part can be hormonal, glands, or anything. Same for the low end, but female. I suppect my middle sister is also XXy but on the other end of the scale. She does have some male features, (IMHO), which are becoming more eveident as she get older.

Reason I say I should have been twins, is I have extra bones and believe or don't four nipples.