PDA

View Full Version : Why are many of us so old?

rwjones
05-10-2009, 04:44 AM
I know that many people crossdress from a very young age. I noticed that the majority of the CDs are around my age (55). I started at about 45. It came on in stages. It was sexually exciting at first, but now I CD just as much because it calms me and helps me escape from my stressfull male life. Do you girls have any thoughts on why many of us are older or why we are drawn so compulsively to cross dress? Don't let that rwjones stuff fool you. My femme name is Willow!

Lisa Golightly
05-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Well Willow I think you'll find that there is a fair spread of numbers across every generation and that it is the generational thing that you're noticing. I wore my first item of girls clothing at 5... and have been dressing ever since, only accepting I was TS at 36 years old. On forums you tend to see a large proportion in the 30-50's range.

As for late starters like yourself... I know there are quite a few. Did you never have feelings before, or did you just supress them? I do find the late start model quite interesting.

Lisa x

Elvira
05-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Hi there Willow! I'm turning 42 in a few weeks time and i don't feel that old! My girlfriend says that it is easier for me to handle her teenage daughter and her friends than she can because i'm just like tthem! I know that when i get all femned up , i do feel a lot younger than i actualy am! In my case i think that i'm as old as the woman i feel! Feeling old is a sign that you are giving up on life! Just remember that you are never too old! Your friend in South Africa! Elvira

Brenda79135
05-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Willow I know this may sound like a brokn recod here on this forum, but the late starts may be caused my mid-life crisis. I have had an interest in CDing all my life but didn't start getting serious until about 40. This is about the same time every male in my family started their crisis. My dad went the car/motoe cycle route. My older brother went into trucks tring to recapture their youths. I went with the CDing. For myself, when I dress the feeling of youth fills me up. I know I'm still just a guy in a dress but somehow it makes me feel young again.

erica2054
05-10-2009, 06:05 AM
i started putting my my moms bra and panties when i was 5 - but the interent really made me blossom - and at 56 - it took off- yes i see a lot of cd at our age- hey more to chat with

Angie G
05-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Willow I Think it's because we were born a long time ago and have had more time to develop the girl inside of us. When we are gone the younger ones will be asking the same things hun.:hugs:
Angie

rwjones
05-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.
when I was very young I found my mother's garterbelts and nylons facinating. I joined the diving team in high school so I could wear speedos. Since then I have always worn the most colorful and skimpiest underwear I could find. My midlife crisis started at 44 when my wife confided to me that she had had an affair with a man she had met at the gym. As it turns out, I took it harder than most people because I am bipolar and have OCD. The severe depression lasted about 18 months and evolved into anxiety attacks. One night I just felt the compulsion to put on nail polish and the rest was history. They say that rituals calm people with OCD. My ritual became polishing my toe nails. If the anxiety were bad I would polish my toes every day. Base coat, two color coats and two clear coats and total body shaving can really be time consuming!

Nicki B
05-10-2009, 06:49 AM
the majority of CDs

I fear you may be falling into the normal reaction of selectively noticing similarities, and thus getting a false impression?

But there's no doubt maturity is linked to self-knowledge, plus for many of your generation the idea of being 'trans' was so taboo, you buried the possibility very deeply?

rwjones
05-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I think both of your thoughts are right. Willow

deja true
05-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm with Nicki, here...

While we have many stories here of "late onset" CDism, where somebody in their 50's or so starts dressing with no apparent warning, most of us have been suppressing it ( and some not so well..LOL!) for freekin' decades until we've finally realized that ...hey...it's not so freaky or pervy after all (especially after finding accepting and supportive sites like this...). Some modern media presentatins of trans people that actully show us in positive (or at least not so judgemental) ways also help with a modicum of self acceptance in this modern media age.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
05-10-2009, 08:10 AM
In the early part of ones crossdressing, you have the fear of being outed and the ramifications of being outed. As one becomes older into the fifties we have the confidence to be who we are and we don't care what others think.

For someone who is TS it becomes an issue of no longer denying who we are, having the courage to live our live out, as ourselves. For me I am TS and that is where I am, having decided to live my life as me, Kimberly. :battingeyelashes:

SusanCACD
05-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I think that is a state of mind really. It might be cause our testostaron (sorry for the speling) levels drop as we age. Maybe we finally realize we only have so many years here and break out of the mold we have been put in. I dunno...

Susan

Miranda09
05-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm 56 and in no way do I consider myself as old!!! In fact, I feel as young as I did 20 years ago. It's only now that I have had the freedom to do as I wish and explore this aspect of my sexuality that has been hidden for such a long time. I am having a great time right now. :)

Kittykitty
05-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Think there is something to be said for your observation.
I've heard it theorized that many people transition later in life b/c their parents have passed and the fear of disappointing them is gone. Total heresay, but it makes some sense.
Also, the younger generation is transitioning before they're out of their teens now! Seems to be a large gap in the middle of the age pool.
Oh well, the water's fine.

Daenna Paz
05-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Willow,

Great question...........allow me toss my .02 at it.....

We are an iceberg collective; by that I mean that you only "see" the tip. There are more of us out there than even the most ardent supporter would dare to believe. (IMHO)
That being said, I think that the more mature (like that better than older than dirt) members tend to be towards the tip for a variety of reasons;

1) Age factor - the I don't give a (substitute own profanity here) attitude seems to get stronger for many as we age....I know for me it is so. It is a constant struggle to maintain balance.

2) Marriage status - more likely to be widowed, divorced, or in a very long term marriage which could withstand the issues that surround "coming out".

3) Financial factor - many of the more mature members of this collective now have some measure of financial stability. Somewhat important, I would think..............have you seen the price of a good pair of shoes lately?!?! :eek:

So maybe there are more "oldies", or maybe it just seems that way.....WOW all of that to say that one line..........:doh:

Sorry this took on such epic proportions, as this was very much at the front of my brain this morning.

BTW I am careening toward 60 at an alarming rate!

Karren H
05-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Well thanks for pointing that out to me... On mothers day too!! Bad enough I'm wrinkling at an exponential rate and I'm not a mother on mothers day... Now I'm really depressed..

Joni Marie Cruz
05-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Old? Ouch, that's gonna leave a bruise!<lol>

Everything Kimberly, Susan and Miranda posted is valid. Some of it has to do with changes in hormonal levels as Susan pointed out and a large portion of it has to do with a change in personal attitude toward how we want to live our lives. Do we want to live as who we are or how society dictates?

Personally speaking, I also believe a great deal of it is generational. When I was growing up (Ah how I loathed that phrase when my Dad employed it.) there was very little support for folks with TG issues, there was no internet and certainly no groups like this and others to let us know we were not alone and not simply freaks and pervs. In addition societal attitudes toward many things such as being gay and being able to express alternative lifestyles has changed, slowly maybe but it has changed.

Between these factors and a whole host of others it has given some of us more "mature" (hmm, don't like that word either, makes me think of orhtopedic shoes) girls the chance to feel freer to express ourselves and be who we are.

Hugs...Joni Marie

Gabrielle Hermosa
05-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I learned self-acceptance late in life, but I started out at about age 3 or 4.

I've heard a handful of accounts of people actually getting started later in life, but I'd have to say on the whole, most of the cd's I've interacted with seem to indicate that they started before age 10.

TGMarla
05-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Old? Moi? As compared to what? Or who?

Hmmmpfff!

Rogina B
05-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I think most all of the above.and although we start dressing at a young age usually, it isn't until later that we accept rather than suppress the feeling,as gabrielle suggests. However,at mid age,we have friends get sick and pass away and that drives home the fact that life is so precious that you must make your own stand and enjoy it as you want.not as others say you should.we are only here for so long...

Carly D.
05-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I think it was the drugs in the sixties, man, that did it.. actually I think there are a greater number who want to dress to be free.. show it.. hmm.. what is the excuse for so many older cross dressers being here and fewer younger persons?? I think to be here it has evolved into something important to us.. when I was younger I'm not sure if I would have been here at all.. but I am of the mind that I now wonder what others feel and think as far as wearing these clothes.. that's why I'm here..

Billijo49504
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
You ask why so many of us are so old, that's simple.
We didn't die yet!!!:tongueout Happy Mother's Day:drink: BJ

TxKimberly
05-10-2009, 11:19 AM
. . .

1) Age factor - the I don't give a (substitute own profanity here) attitude seems to get stronger for many as we age....I know for me it is so. It is a constant struggle to maintain balance.
. . . .

Dang it Daenna, that's exactly what I was gonna say! lol
A lot of us as we get older reach the point where we really don't care as much about what other people may think of us. We were here when we were younger, we just weren't willing to stand up and be seen.

Joanne f
05-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Go back 30yrs to when you were 25, no Internet so you could not communicate with others like you plus the fact that if found out you would be thought of as very abnormal so i am sure that there were a lot doing it but completely in the closet.
Now with the help of the Internet and the media it is looked upon as not so unusual and younger people now are aloud to express them selves far more than what we could , i expect that i lot of them do not need the reassurance of knowing that there are others like we do .
I think that in general the young one`s have far more confidence than we older ones do but i would also agree that when you reach a certain age you just think "o sod it who cares what they think of me"

Deborah Jane
05-10-2009, 11:49 AM
You're as old as the woman you feel [you are] :battingeyelashes:

Tracii G
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm 56 and don't feel old at all.

Melinda G
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been CDing since I was about 14. But not nearly as often as I do now. Also there was no Internet then. And for many years like a lot of you, I was married, busy raising kids, making mortgage payments, working a lot, and only dressing occasionaly. Now, I've been single for many years, live alone, and can dress as much as I want, which is most of the time. Also have more time to surf the internet, which Al Gore hadn't yet invented when I was younger.:D

suchacutie
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Is it the new 4-letter word??? LOL.

But I'm one of those folks who never wore a bit of female clothing until my 50's, and the onset of CDing came suddenly and in a rush, WITH the advise and help of my spouse. It just had never occurred to me that I might enjoy presenting as a woman?

In fact, I had never liked Halloween, never liked the idea of "acting" on stage or anywhere else, never liked the idea of shedding my "normal" personality for even a few words in another persona. My wife had a garter skirt in her hand and noted that it didn't fit her anymore. I offhand mention that it would probably fit me... Enter the cascade effect... A few months later I'm modelling her garter skirt, stockings, and platforms, and she's telling me I NEED a dress. We had been married over 30 years, I was 55, and we had no clue how this suddenly errupted.

My spouse said she was honored that I would trust her with this totally new excursion into my being, and I was honored to share it and have her help!

Ok, so to the point of this thread: I didn't have any inclination when living by myself, and even after years of marriage had no inclination. It still seems to me that if I did not have an incredibly supportive wife I never would have traversed this path, but now I can't see an easy way to stop. Tina is here to stay and is a defined part of my personality. For those of us who started later in life, it just may be that life has been incredibly busy, and it takes some event to slow down life just enough, and at a time when we have some maturity to understand what is happening, in order to allow ourselves the freedom to venture into this, admittedly, somewhat frightening world.

tina

Jilmac
05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I can only speak for myself but I've been dressing since age 15 (before that it was mostly experimentation). I'm 64 now and have only been out of the closet about two years. I think at the age we are now we are seeing much more acceptance of the TG lifestyle.

kristinacd55
05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Perhaps it's because older cd's are on this site?? :daydreaming:

Teri Jean
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Willow sweety, thanks alot. LOL I cannot speak for others but when I came out to my nephew he said it the best. "You have spent most of your life being the husband, father and now grandfather and put these desires in the closet. Now you want to expore them and why not. You have been great for them now be great for you." He really made my day and the rest of my life. Yes my actual age is 60 but my "real age is 40 something with a dash of 20s. LOL

Keli

sissystephanie
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
It was sexually exciting at first, but now I CD just as much because it calms me and helps me escape from my stressfull male life.

As one of the "much older," at 77, CD's on this forum I would like to put my 2 cents worth in to the discussion. The part of your post quoted above gives the real reason! We live longer because we are CD's, and know how to get rid of the stress of day to day living! Works for me!!:)

:hugs::hugs:

spretzatura
05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I am in my 60's, and didn't start dressing up until about 5 years ago. Although I had tried on my mother lingerie when I was less than 10 years old, I never considered that as a "beginning." The beginning for me was the direct result of telling me wife that I had "feminine feelings" that I wanted to explore in sex. She was very accepting and she suggested that I put on some of her lingerie when we had sex to see if it helped me to feel more feminine. And of course it did.
I don't think I would have had the courage to suggest it myself, and even after I had worn her lingerie a number of times I was still concerned what she would think about it.

So, for me I would have to say that it wasn't until I had developed a sufficient sense of trust in my wife, i.e. that she wouldn't reject me, that I was able to open myself up to the fact that I really loved wearing her clothes. The only thing my wife gets upset about now is if I try her new clothes on before she starts wearing them herself.

Jenny J
05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I think it was the drugs in the sixties, man, that did it.. actually I think there are a greater number who want to dress to be free.. show it.. hmm.. what is the excuse for so many older cross dressers being here and fewer younger persons?? I think to be here it has evolved into something important to us.. when I was younger I'm not sure if I would have been here at all.. but I am of the mind that I now wonder what others feel and think as far as wearing these clothes.. that's why I'm here..

Wow man, must have been the brown acid I ate at Woodstock! :naughty

While experiencing my first CD moment at an early age, my formative years were spent attempting to establish a family and career, literally kept it packed away in the closet. Only after those things were accomplished and I had a stable life, or at least it seemed to be, did I re-explore my CDing.

With more time on my hands and a few more bucks in my possession, I now find it liberating and a way to express myself in ways I haven’t been able to in the past. Yes it’s hard work but very rewarding when you can look at your femme self, see wonderful results and be happy with the effort you put into it.

Just my :2c:

Jen

:rose2:

Carly D.
05-10-2009, 06:16 PM

I also thought that I would grow out of this.. by a certain age I would stop because this just seems like a waste of time and resources, but of course I am still waiting to grow out of it.. I have taken stock of what I have had and what I do have and how much money it all cost me and the numbers are staggering.. but it is a means to an end I guess as they say. the end meaning what I'm not at all sure.. "will you grow up??" I can just hear my mom saying this.. can I ever look to the day when I grow out of this?? that day will be likely the day everything goes dark... and quiet..

BLUE ORCHID
05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I got a late start I was 6yrs. old I missed 6 good years now at 66.5 yrs.
old I am making up for lost time maybe some day when I get {OLD}
I may slow down but I don't see that happening any time soon
...........................thanks from a kid named.........ORCHID

linnea
05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I started CDing when I was seven. I'm 63 but I don't feel that old.

BLUE ORCHID
05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Your only as old as feel----But your not as old as you look!!!!!
.................................................. ..............ORCHID

<3 Keri Lynn <3
05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
(O.o) old!? I don't think I am old... I can't even legally drink yet lol

*Hugs*Kisses*

Rita B
05-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Although I played around with items of female apparel since the age of 12, I did not dress completely as a woman and go out publicly until I was 43 and that was 31 years ago. Now I did go back in the closet for quite a long time. I guess I ran the gamut of emotions that most crossdressers and transexuals experience. I truly only stopped being embarrassed or ashamed for being a crossdresser a couple of years ago though and my life has been much better for it. I have come out to the people that I think should know. I just grew tired of lying and trying to cover it up. I don't hide it from anyone and if someone should question what I do and why I do it, so what. Although I am married, I enjoy going out in public all dressed up. I love the female part of me and she is never going back into the closet.

CD Susan
05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I started cd'ing at age 5 and I am 61 now so I have been involved with cd'ing my entire life. It was only a year ago that I joined this site and decided to leave the closet and share this part of me with others. Maybe this is a rather common thing that as we mature there are fewer obstacles in life to prevent us fom expressing ourselves on sites such as this one. This is how it is for me anyhow. A year ago I was deathly afraid of some one finding out my little secret but now I just don't care what others think any more. As others have said we are on this earth for only so long so there comes a time for some of us to stop living such a secretive life and begin living the way that makes us happy. Is 61 old? That might be old to some but I certainly do not feel like an old person. I am fortunate to be in good health and try to take care of myself to maintain a level of appearance that matches my desire to express my feminine side. I do not feel old at all, I started a new life one year ago and plan on being around for a long time.

GaleWarning
05-11-2009, 02:02 AM
I have a different take on this question ...
Those of us who are 50+ grew up at a time when women were more feminine and wore the kind of lingerie and fashionable high heels we say we love to wear!
Were I born in the last 20 years, I doubt that I would have been interested in wearing the grungy stuff that modern women tend to wear.
Doc Martens and Ugg boots do nothing for me, as do footless tights!
Also, seeing bra straps openly displayed does nothing to mystify or sanctify the wearing of lingerie. Quite the opposite, in fact.

UASIANGAL
05-11-2009, 03:26 AM
I think I had the seeds for CDing planted in me around 4 or 5 and started dressing in mommy's clothes at around 12 (puberty brought it out!). I think your findings on age is maybe just the response from this forum. As we mature, we have more confidence and accept who we are and so is willing to talk about it here. I would never have joined this site when I was 16! And like all young rebellious kids, I would not let myself be counted and categorized so the statistics are never accurate.

Cathy J
05-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Who's old? It's all in the mind. I'll be 78 this year and after a lifetime of pleasure I'm still enjoying every minute while dressed. There have been many times I questioned why I feel as I do and many times I have purged. All that does is cost money and time to rebuild my stash. The urge always comes back.

I dress as often as I can and always completely.

Love and hugs,

noeleena
05-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi...at 61 now. will be 62 in aug .. been out to every one over 11 years now . i did not do as many here have. wore female clothes ... i just knew i was all so a women . not in that context at age 10 you just know in side . tryed being a male just did not work ... well sort of . who would we talk to 50 years ago ... no one ..yes a lot of us are out now . & we can be our selfs with out the ..not know ..who we are . being a andro helped me did not even know what that was . so the net has opened up many doors . & many contacts & friends ....did not have that till 2 years ago . so yes a very late starter in more ways than one ....
Now i can just live as me a woman . with that male back ground .... & loveing it .......big time .
...noeleena...

sometimes_miss
05-11-2009, 07:25 AM
For me, until I was about 40 I truly believed that at some point I'd be able to stop crossdressing; And so, I didn't pursue it as an interest. I thought that when I figured out why I did it, I would be able to figure out a way to stop. By then, I had a good theory of what had caused my behavior. I continued to study, and just figured it would be a matter of time before I would be able to become 'normal'. As time went on, however, I realized that wasn't going to happen, and so rather than live with the constant stress of wanting to dress and not do it, I just gave in, and accepted that I am a crossdresser, and always will be.

Dressing Jill
05-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Old

I have to have a garage sale 2x a year to clean out my closet. LOL.....

I guess the younger ones haven't found us yet or are still hiding quitly in the closet until they can find this forum.

Or maybe we are all a split soul that is trying to awake humanity up.LOL....

Hugs :hugs:

Jill

Tina B.
05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe, just maybe, we are all so old because all the young ones are out on the town parting their little tales off, while the old tired ones are at home on the computers. I know when I was a young man I didn't dress all that often, it was a lot more fun to be out at the bars chasing girls! It probably still is, but my wife is against the idea of me chasing girls anymore.
Tina

renaegee
05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
For me, it has to be hormones, but I have no proof. All of a sudden I like chick flicks and cry at the drop of a had. I suspect it is declining testosterone, but my urge for sex has not dropped one bit, so maybe not?????

msginaadoll
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow you are right there are some old folks on the forum. I'm now not sure if I fit in here. Me being 25 and all. Am also a size 6 and five ft 4 ! Been told I pass for a young Angelie Jolie when I'm out. It must be my naturally full lips, and my gorgeous real shoulder length brunette hair. I mean I have only been on hormones for 1 week and I already have a 34 C cup.! But i do hope to chat more with the mature females of the forum, and share with you all my expertise in makeup as well as my various outings to Paris, Venice, and the Antilles. Ciao

Kate Simmons
05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'll try not to take that personally Hon :heehee:. Really though it probably mostly has to do with the fact that as we get older, our responsibilities lesson a bit and we may become more liberal in thought and actions and/or simply take the opportunity to get in touch with our feelings and really learn who we are. I'm older that dirt myself, both figuratively and literally and am enjoying the freedom.;):)

Debutante
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I think it is because it is Mid Life... we make changes then; we confront those parts of ourselves, in greater wisdom, that we could not/did not, in earlier life. Make the most of it... go deep and be your true femme Self!

Scotty
05-11-2009, 09:44 PM
The internet was not around when I started, and I was scared to come out of the closet!! I had a cozy well hidden apartment with a well hidden back deck...

But most of us have good careers, can afford it, and there is a change in life after the 40's, a reliving of youth and in some ways this does that.....

So the internet has allowed us to find that we are not weird or alone - and more of us come out...

Makes sense to me.

erica12b
05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
as we age we learn , and then we end up her, lol the old ones lol

vivian fair
05-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I really think the reason we are mostly older is like all others we age. And once a crossdresser,always a crossdresser. There were just as many of us then as now,but no way to meet except the ocassional group such as tri-ess etc. So along comes the internet and lets us know we are not alone. I have known of many others through the years in many very macho occupations.

Prissy Linda
05-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Stamina...

insearchofme
05-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Who's old? I'm not old!

TxKimberly
05-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Every time I see this thread in the listing, it depresses the hell outta me. . .

Sarah Doepner
05-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Like so many have said already, the Internet has opened the world up for so many of us. In a way, so has the fragmenting of society in general. When we (the "seasoned ladies here") were growing up, there was a single mainstream in our world. Not only were crossdressers an anomoly, but they were almost invisible. Unless you knew others there was no support beyond a few Tri-Ess chapters and a couple of books or magazines that had to be purchased off the Adult rack in seedy bookstores.
The Internet has opened our world up and we are happy to have this option to communicate with others. For many of us, maybe even a majority here, it is still the only support they have.
On the other hand, the younger generation has been exposed to so much diversity in their life that crossdressing is not all that unusual. The Gay Rights movement has opened the door and let the world know there isn't just one way to live. By extension the younger crossdressers find more acceptance and have more options than just the Internet to get the support they need. While this doesn't work for all young cds, I believe many of the younger girls are being filtered out before they even get here, leaving this site looking like a very high percentage of cds are looking for social security.
I, for one, love this but am very, very happy for the younger cds who are members here. Their photos inspire and their take on life is wonderful. Please stick around and keep the aarp cd's thinking young!

karen_75cd
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
The observations above all make sense. My take on it is that this is a time-consuming endeavor--I didn't have the time to devote to it until later in life (still don't have as much time as I'd like now). Wish I'd been able to do this in my 20s--might not have needed the industrial-strength foundation!

Carole Cross
05-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I started dressing at he age of three, and only really accepted I was TS last year, although I first thought about transitioning at twelve. I think the main reason that most of us are older is because when we were younger, it was unacceptable to express your trangenderism, and many of us felt alone and did not realise there were many more like us out there.
Another reason is the fact that the internet was not around 20 years ago and forums like this did not exist. The only outlets that TG?TS had wre specialist shops and a few magazine publications that were not readily available.

Sam-antha
05-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Repeat slowly, after me :

"I am not old"

~Samm

Janet Bern
05-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe it because we now have enough guts to do what we wanted to do all our lives and time is running out. Do it now or be miserable thinking what might have been. Janet

Krista1985
05-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Is there such a thing as an old CD? I've seen femme faces take away 20 years in some of the before/afters.

I'd say 'we're' lucky to have so many experienced members, and such a variety of stories between them. It's likely that at least a couple of them have been where less experienced members like myself are now. If anything, I think there are more people my age that experience these feelings but they are less open about expressing them.

Miranda09
05-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Every time I see this thread in the listing, it depresses the hell outta me. . .

Depression not allowed Kimberly. Besides, you're too cute to be depressed. :)

:hugs:

mindfulperson
06-14-2009, 03:24 AM
in my opinion I feel that it's just that we all feel this at different times in our lives many of you really had the urge back then and didn't know what to do with it now you all have the urge and acted on it. I had the urge in high school and acted on it only 5-7 years later

Charla McBee
06-14-2009, 03:58 AM
I've noticed that the most open people seem to be older and not just around here. As a 22 year old college student, I think it has a lot to do with social pressures. When you are young, you are desperate to fit in everywhere and not screw it up. Older people are mostly just dealing with family and coworkers and if they can get away with what they do, it's a lot less of a big deal.

BarbiB
06-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Folks like us tend to be more intellectually complex and dare I say?.... "Smarter".
We are "self actualizers" who think and are proactive in attaining what we want.
This naturally translates into our day to day survival instincts. Wherein we earn good livings, make prudent investments for the future and stay out of trouble and accidents. Just a few of the long term benefits of these behaviors include good health, financial security and longevity. Happiness is not necessarily fore granted.
It is said that "even if medicine could prevent or cure all the major illnesses most would still be dead by the age of 200 as a result of accidents". There is another mind boggling actuarial philosophy that States "the longer you live the less your chance of dying becomes"..... The intelligence factor equates in both of those scenarios.
Yet another :2c: worth.

Felicity71
06-14-2009, 06:39 AM
38 years old here. Im single and probably wont be able to find a partner but im fairly happy.

Shiny
06-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I think most of us that have our little "hobby" are in this age range around 50 or so because when we were born our earliest memories were of women who wore house dresses, petticoats, seamed stockings, girdles, full slips and the whole deal! (I read this in a psychological text years ago---but wonder if that statement is still valid due to the passage of time) That was an era that will never come again and even those much younger who CD still gravitate to that period of women's fashion because it was the height of femininity, clothing wise. Who can imagine keeping house, raising kids and doing all the heavy lifting in outfits like that? And the hair and makeup and jewelry? forgetaboutit! But that's the way it was back then!

Those ancient fashions are, even though still considered the "Dior-New Look" height of fashion, are nowadays considered little more than fetish-wear.

I admit I started out in the late 50's when pantyhose weren't around and women, all women wore red lipstick, high heels and dresses or skirts. As time went on I didn't follow the hot-pants or go-go boots route and stayed stuck in the 50's instead, fashion wise anyway.

I do notice some of the younger folks on here who have fixated on fashions from their childhoods, the 1980's and such and they mention their passion for "tights" and "thongs." So I think the books were only part right as the decades pass. I still say that the 50's were "it" as far as the hyper-fem clothing styles and such went, and that will draw many Cders for sure. But as time goes on the younger crowd, with no physical connection with the old days will decide on their own what type of fashion floats-their-boats.

Angie G
06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think there is really more os us older CD's. I think it's just we have had more time to accept what we do and more willing to join a form like this one.:hugs:
Angie

Stormgirl
06-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry but old to me is 70 or 80

55 is not old, you ladies aren't old at all!

I'm just saying...

Edit: I'm going to be 31 this August

I don't have a spouse or a kid,being a bachelor is great but then again it's not so great. :(

Nicole Erin
06-14-2009, 09:49 AM
OK so I am in the 30 something age but I imagine -

When people get a bit older, they probably realise more and more how important it is to be happy in life, however many years are left.

The kids are most likely grown and gone, so they are not in the way when one wants to live a life.

I know when my kid finally drops out of school and I don't have to worry about him catching hell there, I will probably go forward a lot stronger with being who I am.

Christinedreamer
06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
It has recently been discovered that indulging in birthday after birthday directly contributes to cumulative aging. This process, once started in infancy, has no known change of progression. The process has been determined to be unrelenting in its advancement. Studies show that "aging" as it is currently referred to, continues to play havoc on the body and later in life, sometimes it affects the mind. This effect, in some cases, causes those of advanced age to consider doing strange things. Occasionally this results in those affected to express anxiety, anger, frustration etc at those similarly affected but who began the process on a date many years post to that of the original study subject.

Researchers, chemists, physicists, aestheticians, etc, have not been able to slow or stop this process although frequent claims of reversal have been presented to the general public. Unfortunately these claims do not withstand critical scrutiny.

The physical appearance of skin and other bodily appurtenances has, on occaision, been sufficiently albeit temporarily, altered from a purely aesthetic standpoint to induce the illusion for the casual observer and sometimes to the subject themselves, that a elongated succession of years since birth has been less than delineated records of said birth would otherwise indicate.

For communicative brevity, there is a widely accepted and frequently utilized reduction in the detail of the aging process with all its associated issues of physical appearance, abilities, interests, etc. The younger of us have coined the phrase "old" to encompass the majority of the attributes possessed by those who began this journey on a date many years previous to those who freely express the disdain for those of us whose birthday accumulation began on a date many, many years previous

Those of us who are well along the path of this physical migration from "newborn" to "old fart" can take great comfort in a simple two syllable word that encompasses most all our disdain for those of younger lineage than ourselves as of the current date. This term is KARMA.

Alice B
06-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Old? You are only as old as your state of mind and since my mind never grew up I'm not old at all.:eek:

Jaclyn NM
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Maybe it's because we resited the urge when we were young, and as we aged, became wiser, and realized how short life is, we gave into our desires, and enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure that is the case with me.

jessica27
07-08-2009, 03:38 AM
im not old im barely over 19... I started around 7

tvchristine2002
07-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Old is only a state of mind,we have the experiences that the younger members are yet to have.I have younger friends who value my help and advice that you only get with age.

:hugs: Christine

Claire Cook
07-08-2009, 05:02 AM

The only thing about my age that depresses me is my bald spot ... I guess it's wigs forever ....

I remember a saying by two dear friends; "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!" Aren't we all doing that? I mean, is there anyone who dresses LESS the older we get?

crossdrezzer1
07-08-2009, 05:29 AM
it takezs time to walk out of the very large closet,,,

MrsDiane
07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Maybe its because we havent died yet

Panty Lover
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I think of it as better late than never !!!

TGMarla
07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
There are a helluva lot of crossdressers in my age range.

Maybe it's because when we were in our most formative years, women dressed in a very feminine way. Lots of dresses and heels and pantyhose, lovely sweaters and sweet skirts. Women looked like women, and life was sweet.

Just a thought.

(Prolly stirred up a hornets' nest there!)

Deidra Cowen
07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
At this forum, other places on the net where CDs gather, the nightclubs...even the big SCC convention...yeap I notice that the average age is up there a bit! Wondered about it myself. (48 here but don't tell anyone!)

My theories...

We just are not cool and hip and are not at the places on the net or hey out at the clubs where the young CDs are hanging

Some young CDs don't remain CDs very long anymore. They transistion to Full Time. I have seen some cases of that here in Atlanta. Being young they have some advantages in passing so they end up going stealth and drop off from the scene.

Ok already pointed out from others but CDing is expensive! Everything from "shoes" to wigs cost money. Someone in their twenties just getting by trying to pay rent early in a career does not have the extra money to CD.

Jilmac
07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Willow, it looks like you got a rather late start dressing compared to me. I'm 64 and have been dressing since I was 15, (first time I wore girls clothes was age 7). But in answering your question, (and this is only supposition on my part), I think there are so many older gals here because we have been suppressed for so long (either from shame or fear), and because of changes in societal norms, we can finally realize ourselves for who we really are. Just my :2c:

Maia C
07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi Willow:

I started to CD at 11 or 12...and for much of my life it was a cycle of binge/purge. As I've gotten older all of that experience finally taught me that I might as well accept and enjoy it. There is also more time and space for it as my kids have gotten older.

I'm curious if others feel the same way?

Maia:battingeyelashes:

Lorileah
07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
My theories

Young CD's are still hiding

Younger CDs are busy building jobs and families trying to maintain what they think they should be.

Older CD's don't worry so much about it anymore. What can they do to us we haven't already done to ourselves. Mortality can be a harsh wake up call. Our time here becomes a factor and we realize that we have to be happy with ourselves because no matter how hard we have tried it does not go away