PDA

View Full Version : How about a Buy CD/TS/TG Day?

battybattybats
05-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Considering the notions of building more of a community to heal Internalised Transphobia and pondering the ways in which other groups have had successes I wonder, what about a Buy TG day?

Something for the closetted as well as the out.

The Gay community amongst others go out of their way to support their community financially, to contribute to the success of those within their community as well as those portraying their community well.

So while we all should try to do so more often how about setting aside a day for doing so especially?

A day where we all try and buy, in person or online, something made by TG people or positively portraying TG people.

I'm not sure what day would be a good one to pick for this.

What do you think? What would be a good day for this and do you think it's a good idea?

Angie G
05-10-2009, 06:02 AM
I think it a very good idea Batty. How would you go about finding such thing or people.:hugs:
Angie

battybattybats
05-10-2009, 06:25 AM
I think it a very good idea Batty. How would you go about finding such thing or people.:hugs:
Angie

Well once a day is chosen we could start it here. Those on facebook and other such sites could spread the word from there.

As for what to buy, well people could suggest things in this thread.. there are lots of TG artists, writers, musicians many with little exposure who could certainly do with a bump in sales.

At the very least there's always an Eddie Izzard DVD.

Anything that portrays us well or made by a CD/TS/TG would do.

Kate Simmons
05-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Good idea Batty but the understanding has to be from both sides. There is a tendency out there to take advantage and overly inflate prices because of who we are. The motivation and overall goal has to be agreed on before this can happen.

deja true
05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Oooh! I like this idea! A lot!

Ain't this why the Goddess invented Paypal?

Can we start by having our folks, boys and girls, search out trans produced stuff, like books written by community members (Helen Boyd, Gina Lance...etc.) or music downloads from trans artists, or products like jewelry or art or clothes or whatever ...and listing them in a thread sorta like a catalog ?

The catalog should also include the option of donations to our trans focused organizations, like IFGE (now there's an impressive book collection!) and NCTE and legal funds. How about donations of scholarship money to conferences like Be-All and SCC so that not-so-well-off trans folks can attend those glorious events? See! It doesn't have to be all about stuff! It can be about good works, too!

OMG! Shopping...and doing the right thing!

Sign me up!

:)

(On the other hand,if you wanna buy a real TG, the person I mean...keep in mind...I don't do windows!)

Teri Jean
05-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Batty, I like the idea of having a day that is for those who can and or cannot because of being deep in the closet. It could be a day where those who are more comfortable help those more shy. Let's start January first and conclude December 31st,LOL. seriously I do like it. Thank you dear.

Keli

Joni Marie Cruz
05-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Batty, you rock, girl. What a great idea. I'm always up for buying and if it supports the community as well, so much the better. What can I do to help?

Hugs...Joni Marie

battybattybats
05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Batty, you rock, girl. What a great idea. I'm always up for buying and if it supports the community as well, so much the better. What can I do to help?

Hugs...Joni Marie

Well, we will need a day.

One thats not caught up with anything major already. One that especially won't be too close to any other GLBT stuff. And one not too close to now so any out folk on facebook myspace and the like can start spreading the word in general and for closeted folk to get as much advanced warning to arrange or save.

That way even those who cannot easilly purchase things online or shop locally for anything TG related can work something out. So no member of our community need be left out. So that word can spread about a fair way before the day comes up.

~Kelly~
05-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I would suggest avoiding December altogether and most of November. If the purpose is support, the upcoming Christmas holiday season will put a damper on the amount some would be willing to give. The same could be applied to most of January as many are attempting to catch up from overextending in December. I have always thought that winter months inspire more generosity in people though. Something about warm weather makes people more focused on recreation and while they may be in good spirits during this period, the spirit of giving to others is generally lacking. Which brings the difficulty in planning a "global" day such as this especially in regards to our sisters and brothers in separate hemispheres. My proposal as to the general time period would be toward the end of February and into the beginning of March. As for the specific day, that could be up to someone else to figure out.

Joni Marie Cruz
05-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, Batty, the first date that came to mind for me was the Autumnal Equinox (so fraught with symbolism) which generally falls around September 22nd and would give more than ample time to get the word out. Drawbacks to that date, though, would include such things as parents shelling out money for back to school expenses and for those already in school, such as university and so on, ditto for them.

Honestly, I can't think of any date that may not potentially conflict with some other event or holiday or whatever. Why not see if there's some concensus on the board around some time of the year not too far off and just go with it? No matter what, it's a great idea, I already have one TS artist in mind to recommend.

Hugs...Joni Marie

kellycan27
05-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I like it

StevieTV
05-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not cheap...I'm just on sale. :doh:

sissystephanie
05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm not so sure I would want to buy a CD, TS or TG! But if you mean buy CD, TS, or TG clothing, isn't that every day? Every time I go into a store that carries any womens clothing, or accessories, I have to shop! It is not a question of whether I want to, or not! It is just a "have to" thing!!

Like today when I went to a local Costco. The trip was to buy some paper goods for the house. But since they also sell ladies clothing, of course I had to look. Came home with 3 very cute tank tops!! So every day is buying day for me!:)

battybattybats
05-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not so sure I would want to buy a CD, TS or TG! But if you mean buy CD, TS, or TG clothing, isn't that every day? Every time I go into a store that carries any womens clothing, or accessories, I have to shop! It is not a question of whether I want to, or not! It is just a "have to" thing!!

Like today when I went to a local Costco. The trip was to buy some paper goods for the house. But since they also sell ladies clothing, of course I had to look. Came home with 3 very cute tank tops!! So every day is buying day for me!:)

The point is to buy products that support CD/TS/TG people. Things designed created or produced by members of the community or that produce a positive reflection of our community. Resulting in helping them succeed, and that helps raise our communities profile, increasing acceptance and thus helps us all. Plenty of other groups do this to support their communities. So the idea is for us to do the same.

You could look at it as just another excuse to buy things, but your helping us all out at the same time.

Joni Marie Cruz
05-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Buying stuff and supporting the community, what could be better, a win/win situation. Sign this girl up to help out. BTW, I love your little bat thingy in your signature...so cute.

Hugs...Joni Marie

tonya2
05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I am in, I have been a part time antique/junk dealer for years and just recently closed my location due to lack of sales. Now its all in storage and I will be building a website soon to start selling it off. So I would be both a buyer and seller to support the community. Granted, this isn't MADE by us but, as Batty said it would help keep it in the community. I will start posting some things on the classified section of this site next week if they'll let me. As far as a date, how about just before Holloween, say Oct 15th, this seems to be when a lot of us come out for the first time.

Tonya:daydreaming:

Fab Karen
05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
What the gay community has done is both:
Have a Pride Day ( which varies by location ),
and put together a Gay Yellow Pages, which as you can guess advertises gay-run businesses & services.

The Gas Man Cometh
05-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I would love to buy myself my very own TS woman.

Then again, that goes against everything you're trying to do with this Buy TG Day!

:heehee:

stephaniedoes
05-15-2009, 11:14 AM
i do like the idea of having a day like that we all could enjoy however i still do not believe that exceptance is so easy for people to do... we live ina world that ismuch like the ancient times where men fight for land and valuables. my belief is that we are still very much in the old days just because we have some technoligy doesnt mean anything. i believe that such things will change when there is literally no more crime or need for wars, when people just open that part of the mind that still lays focused on survial of the fittest. but i do as many here dream of such a reality where tg can walk out there front door and feel great about waking up that day with out a concern in the world except for is my make up ok... all though who knows maybe this would be a possitive activity for those that can and would continue with the efforts of this very important day, after all it is human nature to wonder about the unknown. could you imagine after doing something like this after a cpl yrs. the tg'sthat would come out... i look at men differntly these days and often wonder if this very strong figure is wearing pink undies.. i cannot help it.. lol... anyway let me know, im not a party pooper, i'll play..:2c:

Persephone
05-16-2009, 01:06 AM
This is a really good idea, Batty, thanks for coming up with it!

Someone suggested the Fall Equinox, but I would suggest on or about the Spring Equinox which brings with it thoughts of blooming, new beginnings, and coming out after a long cold spell.

Also, it is quite a distance from Transgender Remembrance Day, a more solemn transgender holiday that falls in November.

I believe that in 2010 the Spring Equinox is on March 20th.

battybattybats
05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
This is a really good idea, Batty, thanks for coming up with it!

Someone suggested the Fall Equinox, but I would suggest on or about the Spring Equinox which brings with it thoughts of blooming, new beginnings, and coming out after a long cold spell.

Also, it is quite a distance from Transgender Remembrance Day, a more solemn transgender holiday that falls in November.

I believe that in 2010 the Spring Equinox is on March 20th.

Not being too close to other TG days is a good idea, especially TDOR.
As for seasonal equinox.. well thats a bit hemispherical as the seasons are switched. Unless we did two, one on each? Maybe that wiould solve the dilemma?

angelis13
05-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Has a wiccan I would love to see our special day celebrated on such a date as the equinox, but has batty points out it is seasonal , where you would be celebrating new beginnings we would be seeing the beginning of our darker months.

Persephone
05-16-2009, 02:33 AM
As for seasonal equinox.. well thats a bit hemispherical as the seasons are switched. Unless we did two, one on each? Maybe that wiould solve the dilemma?

Nah, you folks down there just need to get your Parliament to work like our Congress. Right now our Congress is working on legislation to reverse entropy, repeal the law of gravity, and demand an increase in the number of new cycle sunspots on the sun. Yours could simply vote to bring your seasons into correspondence with ours and that would put an end to all this "if it's the warm season here then it must be the cold season there" business.

You have identified a legitimate concern about my seasonal justification for the date, but somewhere in March would still keep it away from TDOR.

Maybe here's the alternate justification -- buying and displaying a piece of CD/TG art could create a warm, cozy aura around your transgender spirit during the colder months to come.

And, if your artwork arrived and you really didn't like it, well, then you could toss it into the fireplace and literaly use it to keep your CD/TG self warm during the cold season.

Does that work?

battybattybats
05-25-2009, 02:31 AM
What about the twice-yearly idea on each equinox?