PDA

View Full Version : Wife suggested I should go to a Cosmotolgy school

Jinny M
05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi All ,

While my wife and I we're driving my 19 yr old step daughter to work , we all were talking about college courses . My step daughter is taking fashion next year.

I stated that i'd like to go back to school , but didn't know what degree I'd want to persue . So my wife , who is 120% supportive of and encourages Jinny , suggested I should attend a Cosmtoligist school .

She went on and on about it , saying how nice it would be for me to be able to do her hair , nails and make up for her . She even asked Sarah if she thought it would be a good Idea, that I'd be able to do her hair also.

I was speachless ,, Sarah , said that she had a freind who went to school for that and does her hair now. then her and my wife went on about alot of men go to school for it. though some for just to be a barber , many go on to be stylist and make up artist.

Now , I'm Disabled from work, I did heavy construction work for a living , other than my 3 yr enlistment in the Army. My back is in bad shape as far as vertibrea's and disks. Only chance of POSSIBLE Relief is surgery and I've seen many Ortho's and Neroligists , they all said surgery may help, it's no garunty . I know the symptoms that will leave me no choice but surgery, but until then I know my limitations.

So i'm on a fixed income and paying for school will be tough, but I maybe able to get grants for the schooling.

So this is a possible Idea. I really love the Idea of beauty school . I'd learn so much to help Jinny pass. I'd be looking foward to the times at school when we'd have to partner up and practice make-up , nails and hair styles .

I don't how to explain it freinds and family ,, I'd figure it out ,, or bet yet , Just tell them it was the wifes Idea ,ask her, she pushed it on me.

I could tell my buddies , it's a nice way to me women and get to know them , you learn about them when your working to make them look their best , that when I find A single hotty for them , I could work on hooking them up.

Ok this maybe a sign or something,
My best freind just called while I was typing this ,, he knows nothing of Jinny ,, I just told him what the wife suggested and I explained the positive side of meeting women ,, he said , not for you , your married ,, but make sure you talk about me to them. So I'm already covered with him.

I like the possibilties ,I might even be able to go to school as Jinny after I get to know everyone there and feel them out about it.. this could be so much fun.

I'll have to look into it. I'm just so excited , I had to share it with all of you.

Jinny

Di
05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
I do not understand why you have to have a made up story for your buddys.:sad: I guess thats a guy's perspective. :doh:
Sad though.....there are tons of guy hairdressers. AND there is no such thing as a job for men and a job for woman:Angry3:
( and no the men are not all gay so don't even go there)
add/ I understand why you feel you have to make up a story...just sad some peeps are so narrow minded.

SORRY RANT OVER WAS VERY EXCITED ABOUT YOUR POST JUST THE PART ABOUT HAVING TO MAKE UP A STORY BUGGED ME:sad:

What I wanted to say before I read that part:heehee:...........was thats awesome and if it's something you would enjoy go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
And kudos to your wife:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jinny M
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
My wife and I are still in closet about Jinny. 90% of my freinds are all Bikers and they always act the super macho part. Who knows , some of them maybe in the closet also ? I don't want to lead them of suspision of the real me, "Jinny" . So thats why I came up with the story .

They view male hair dressers in a more negative way, not me . Maybe if I become one , I can help them see it differently . I have a cousin who is a hair dresser in South Beach Miami , but he is Gay .

My wife at this time wants to keep Jinny away from freinds and family , for right now anyway. I have my eyebrows waxed Femme , just not super thin and I've gotten some looks from my buddies , but no commit yet. I just got both ears peirced , but most of my buddies have alot of peircings.

My wife and I have been discussing me having laser hair removal for all of my body and possibly starting a low dose of estrogen to help feminize me, if we go foward with these , it'll end up being quite noticeble . We'll have to cross that bridge when it comes , thats why we're still in the disscusion stage for them.

If I commit to the hair removal and Estrogen , in time my buddies will notice and being a hair dresser , then they'll reall ask questions.

Worst case senerio , Jinny is outed and I live my life Happily and no more hiding and My wife gets her girlfreind Jinny when ever and where ever she wants , either I'll still have my freinds or i won't and if they don't understand , than they were'nt really that good of freinds.

As most everyone on here ,, It's the intial fear of being out'ed .

Thanks for your input

Jinny

Di
05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I understand about being outed:hugs: I just meant sad :sad:
to guys you have to explain........make up a story...cause some are just narrow minded. I totally understand the why.....we have a dual life here as well:hugs:

So back to the orig...woo hoo....your wife rocks:^5:

DonnaT
05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
That'd be pretty cool, but could be hard on anyone with a bad back. I hurt my back while in the service, and standing for a long time can quite literally be a pain.

Persephone
05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
It does sound like you could learn and have a lot of fun, Jinny!

And you have your spouses' and your daughter's support, even encouragement, for it.

It might give you a reason for getting eyebrows done, etc., "Well, we were learning how to do eyebrows at school and we had to do each others brows," that sort of thing.

I don't know how true it is, but I've also heard that cosmetology can be a somewhat "recession proof" career. Supposedly, getting hair done and looking good is something most women aren't willing to give up.

Plus, it sounds like you'd save money on your spouses' and your daughter's hair and nails and makeup.

insearchofme
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Growing up there was a family in our church where the dad was a hairdresser. He was also a former professional boxer. In the family there were 4 girls who were all drop dead beautiful. None of the guys ever fooled around with them because we didn't want dad doing a number on us.

So if a professional boxer can be a hairdresser I imagine any of us could be one.

Diane Smith
05-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I have very seriously considered getting into the beauty business as my next career. The main negative is that it takes several years for most new beauty school graduates to build up a clientele, and I would probably have to suffer through a substantial cut in income (and consequently dig into my savings as well) during that period. With a good pension plan and health benefits where I work now, it probably does not make sense financially. I sure would appreciate the freedom and the opportunity to do something more creative. You can also bet that I would be working "pretty" most of the time.

- Diane

Joy Carter
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
How long can you stand, and work with your arms at the height of the clients heads ? Not to dissuade you at all. I think it's a great job. Two of my GG friends do rather well at it dollar wise. Just with your back and all.

Jinny M
05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I agree the back won't be happy if I was to do it all the time. I have my meds that I take and takes the edge off of the pain. I NEVER OVER DO IT with them.

putting the hours in the school will be the worst for my back . once done , working part time should be fine .

I'm getting 75 % of my gross pay now. I can legally work part time and make 14,000.00 a year with out it affecting my Disability Retirement . I can't do the same job I did before , if I was too ,they'd stop it. But I was assured by my lawyer and my retirement board , that I can make 8,000 a year in a goverment job or 14,000 a yr in a non goverment job and not have my pay affected. I was told it was the LAW . they told me if I can find something that I can tollerate at a partime basis , I can do it. they also offered to pay for schooling , if I wanted , but that was back in 2005 , I think I only had 2 years to decide on that . Plus the wife works steady .

I'm going to call some schools in the area and find out info and also give my Lawyer a call and ask about the schooling offer that was laid out as part of my settlement and make sure everything will be ok.

Just being able to have the opportunity to learn everything there and not to mention being practiced on ;) . If they'll allow me to attend as Jinny during practicing , especially make up , I definatly will . I'd try to play it up when it comes that time.. Something like = What do you mean ,, put make up on me !! Gee!! should I dress appropriate for the ocasion and then maybe us girls will go out for drinks after class !! or something to that affect and see how that goes. Plus I be able to share tips with everyone here and help out the girls that are with in traveling distance for Free. Sounds like fun to me.

Talk about a pink Fog ,, I'm on A huge Pink Cloud 9.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Jinny

suchacutie
05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
This sounds like the best of every world imaginable! I don't see any negatives at all except for your physical issues. If you can get by those I think it's a superb opportunity for every facet of your life that you've described!

What a fabulous idea!

tina

Christina Horton
05-15-2009, 03:04 AM
hay hun first.

I drive truck,

I have long dangle ear rings,

I have long acrylic nails , panted,

Plus if someone asks me I tell them I am CD. just the other day I was unloading on the street and a work site on the road, I was talking to the flag man , I big macho guy and we talked and I told him with out worry that I was a CD and hay no big deal. I have told bikes , hay no big deal.

The people I had thought would have the most negative reaction were just fine with it like My dad sister brother in law friends uncles cousins e.t.c. The one whom I knew would be fine with it was the one who hated it the most .........MOM. well I was shocked.

If you tell friends and family they might surprise you ,for the good. If your wife and daughter are fine with you telling other people then do it. You might be surprised at how well they take it.

With my nails painted I have been finding out that most people think I am gay....when I am not ,and that's fine but they never said anything bad about me to me or other wise. So try not to make up stories try to let then see you with painted nails , If they ask just smile and say nothing ,or tell them, you will feel better. Just clear it with your wife first.lol.

Give your family a great big hug from all of us and kiss them and tell them they ROCK OUT LOAD AND ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsJanessa
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
If you are receiving workers compensation incapacity benefits, you might be able to persuade the W/C insurance carrier to pay for the school with the promise that when you find work, you will be off the W/C rolls

Annaliese
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Check into Vocational Rehabilitation sevice every state has one.

That is how I went back to school when I hirt my back.

tamarav
05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I went to beauty school and now work full time as a cosmetologist, and run my transformation business. This is how I look at work. I wear anything I want because I am a contract employee, i.e., I rent a space and do my thing.

Here is some real information about the hair/beauty business. It takes about 18 months plus or minus, full time to complete beauty school. It costs anywhere from $6000 to $30,000 to attend depending on the schools name and who it is associated with.The local Jean Juarez school is $25,000. Many colleges offer the certification program for the bottom price, that is how I did it. You will be with 50 to 80 teen aged girls and maybe one older persone, maybe one male in the whole group. You will learn the most basic stuff ever, how to sanitize and maintain a clean work station. then you learn basic hair rolling techniques,permanent application and so on.

Makeup and wig styling may take a whole day, not more, our entire makeup application and theory classes were under 8 hours. Wig stuff was almost 8 hours total, mostly out-dated theory stuff.

As you get closer to the end you start practicing for the State boards, which have a very high failure rate by lots of the young girls who really aren't serious about the profession. My work mate failed three times in a row, then became a barista...

After graduation, or shortly before when you have enough hours, you take the State practical and written exams. If you pass you apply for a license and usually get that within 4 weeks.

Then you start hitting up every salon that you want to work in. If you are interested in working as a male you will do ok, they don't really give men as much crap as they do women (or girls) Regardless, you start as the low person on the totem pole and must work your way up. Your technique may be good but your speed will kill you as far as working on clients. So, find a place that wants to train an associate or assistant and work your ass off. Get them coffee, listen to every word they say and learn how to move faster.

This is not a job for fun. This is a day to day, stand on your feet all day, deal with grumpy people and people that are never satisfied with what anyone does to their hair. You simply do your best and keep practicing until your complaints become minimum.

I now work as Tami, (after spending 18 months getting my speed down and building my skills up, the employees are very demanding, and mentally quiting at least a dozen times) deal with people everyday and do all the typical hair stuff, permanents, sets, color all the time and cuts. I now don't take crap from anyone simply because I don't have to.

In my transformation business, I work with our community on an individual basis, teach feminine deportment, wig styling, makeup application, and provide overall support. You may draw your own conclusions on this aspect.

I have invested about 24 months of full time education to be employable, work as a certified MAC makeup artist and a permanent cosmetics artist.

Bottom line, all of this may gross $30K if you really work at it. You will hear of stylists making $100K, some do but they are the headline act at very upscale salons. Otherwise, it is just a hobby..but you will get to do your wife's hair and nails and keep her happy...

Write if you want more info.

Tami

Marie-Claire
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
It seems like a very practical choice. The only thing I wonder about is whether your back condition would have any effect on being in a job that requires a good deal of standing while you work.
Good luck!

Jinny M
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Girls ,

Tami , Thank You for the very informative info. I so envy you :daydreaming: . I can hope to follow in your footsteps.. I have the support from the wife and daughter to go foward with this. my wife asked me again today if I started to look into the schooling , so seems she really wants me to do this ,, shes actually pushing me on it. which is a great thing.

Thanks you to all you girls for your input and concerns of my back. I agree with all of you. My back will be a problem , having to stand all day will probably irritate it alot . that will be the only thing that'll hold me back. I'm no longer on workmans comp , my lawyer got me Permanatly Disabled at 75% of my gross pay,tax free with medical benefits , also with a cash settlement and rehab training was left on the table as part of the settlement . I have to get in touch with him about the rehab training see if there was a time limit to use it.

I did do some investigating today , there is a couple of Rob Roy Academy's and a LeBaron Academy right here in my city and a Blaine Academy not to far from me.

I wonder if any of the colleges nearby have a cosmo course ,

I'm only 39 so this would be a great way for me to get back into the working world . I would love to eventually be able to do it as Jinny .

I'll keep you updated , Thanks All of you girls for your concerns!

Jinny

5150 Girl
05-16-2009, 12:24 AM
It has come to my attention, that if you get to be a little more out with Jinny, it could pay to your favor in said field

Jenny Brown
05-16-2009, 03:13 PM
This is not a job for fun. This is a day to day, stand on your feet all day,
I have seen some of your shoes. How the hell do you do it?:eek: