PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Horror!

Elizabeth Ann
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Our son in college just casually informed us in a conversation that he is joining an acting troupe at school that is going to put on Rocky Horror Picture Show once a month.

No word yet on which character he will play. If it turns out to be Dr. Frankenfurter (my favorite), I think his mother will kill me. And no, he doesn't know that I dress.

Liz

anDrea F
05-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh great. Whichever part he gets to play it will be fun. You had better keep any advice you have to youreself then. :heehee:

Ralph
05-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Ugh. That show has done more damage to the public perception of crossdressers (and transsexuals) than all the hate propaganda in the world. If he had only said something else besides "transvestite", like "telemarketer" or "used car salesman" or something that we could all get behind ridiculing...

ralph

trannie T
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Are you letting him wear your bustier?

TJ Tresa
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Well Elizabeth I would say congradulations are in order. I've heard that those acting troups are hard to get a part in. And wouldn't be funny, (Cool,) if he got the lead and fell in love with CDing. Hope Mom doesn't get mad. Good luck!!

5150 Girl
05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm likely going to get flamed for saying this, but I found the RHPS to be the bigges waste of film ever!~
When I was in collage the student sennete thought it would be fun for a Holoween thing. Some freinds and I had more fun throwing wads of newspaper, the toast, and whatever other props we dragged in, at each other than waching the flick.

Lorileah
05-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Less embarrassing being Frankenfurter than running around in tighty whiteys (Brad):)... oh no what if he plays ....Janet?

Christina Horton
05-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm likely going to get flamed for saying this, but I found the RHPS to be the bigges waste of film ever!~
When I was in collage the student sennete thought it would be fun for a Holoween thing. Some freinds and I had more fun throwing wads of newspaper, the toast, and whatever other props we dragged in, at each other than waching the flick.

:iagree:

Ya I bought the video. watched it and I have never wacthed it ever again. But think of it this way maybe he agread to do this Because he is a CD,:D:D:D:doh::doh: and is hoping to get the lead.So watch out for your son's comeing out to your wife cuz if he really dose not know about your dressing then He might come out to your wife first cuz I is easyer to tell a women Mother then a man Father. Well just my :2c:

docrobbysherry
05-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Near the end, they ALL get to wear nylons and hi-heels, don't they?:D

Maybe THAT will be a revelation for him!:brolleyes:

Persephone
05-17-2009, 01:10 AM

Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, but actually watching the movie isn't part of the Rocky Horror experience.

I think I've been to about 30 performances. My son is planning on attending his 54th Rocky Horror during this week.

battybattybats
05-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Ugh. That show has done more damage to the public perception of crossdressers (and transsexuals) than all the hate propaganda in the world. If he had only said something else besides "transvestite", like "telemarketer" or "used car salesman" or something that we could all get behind ridiculing...

ralph

Actually i think the film and the stage piece before it has done a lot more good than harm. Lots of people I know love it myself included. It gave heaps of people an excuse to dress up in public. It is far more critical of ordinary small town 'normality' than it is of bisexuality and CDing etc.

Besides, it was extremely popular with women. Tim Curry's Dr Frankenfurter was a sex-symbol. I'm sure it, like Bowie and Boy George helped lots of GGs come to terms with their TG attraction, I know it helped some I know.

It was always a counter-culture piece but it's success very much came not from Cis-folk liking to watch it to mock or laugh at CDs but from an underground adoration of TG. It was the closet CDs, Bisexuals and those who love them that made it a smash hit.

Compare it to it's sequal Shock Treatment. Never heard of it? There's a reason. It has no CDing in it.

TGMarla
05-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Hmmm....I think every male character in that show eventually ends up in garters and thigh-highs, not to mention heels. Even Brad and the college professor wind up partially dressed. It ought to be an experience for him. Lots of us here put on stockings for the first time, and wound up as full-blown crossdressers. It's all downhill from here! :heehee:

Lisa LIckorice
05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe he likes to dress too and you don't know.......:) You could someday go shopping together!

CharleneT
05-17-2009, 09:38 AM
As a movie, no its not really that good, but as an experience, OH what a wonderful time !

I think it has done more good than bad. Sure it is not a great representation of transexuality or CDing or alt sexuality for that matter. BUT it did cause thousands of people to cross dress and have a good time - for many years, not a flash in the pan. THAT has to have had a positive effect on how they would then later view Transgendered folks. Much easier to accept a man in a dress if you went to a movie in garters and a corset !!

Rachel Morley
05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
"Each to their own" - I guess - I happen to love Rocky Horror! It has given me plenty of reasons to dress in the past when I was in the closet. The live shows in the theater are a million times better than watching the movie because of the audience participation. It's a cult thing - bit like being a Treky ... you either love it you hate it. Those of us who love it know all the songs off by heart! :)

I've been Frankenfurter or Magenta most of the times I been to the shows but next time I want to go as Janet :) Who doesn't love Susan Sarandon? :D

Ralph
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Who doesn't love Susan Sarandon? :D
Chris Sarandon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000215/bio), apparently.

But seriously, bats, I'm not saying the *movie* (or stage musical) was critical of TG in any way; I'm saying it did harm by giving the viewing public a skewed view of what CDs and TSs are like. Tell the average unwashed masses you're a transvestite and they'll think you prance around all day and night in fishnets and a bustier humping anything that moves. Fun that may be (and I'll not deny the music is terrific), but is that how you want people to perceive us?

ralph

matrioshka
05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
This is just too coincidental. I'm going to one this Friday. Just what should I expect? I've only seen the movie once.

What do you wear to something like this? Something over the top, or go for passable?

Katrina

battybattybats
05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
But seriously, bats, I'm not saying the *movie* (or stage musical) was critical of TG in any way; I'm saying it did harm by giving the viewing public a skewed view of what CDs and TSs are like. Tell the average unwashed masses you're a transvestite and they'll think you prance around all day and night in fishnets and a bustier humping anything that moves. Fun that may be (and I'll not deny the music is terrific), but is that how you want people to perceive us?

I'm sure they had that perception previously to this film. Movies before and after this film had us as murderers aplenty. I suggest Psycho and Silence of the Lambs did us infinitely more harm than Rocky Horror.

Deedee Dupree
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I think Batty's view is mostly on target as this came relatively recently, especially encouraging for younger generations. I didn't care for it myself as I thought the music was dumb & I didn't care for the production, and there probably was some IT in my assesment then. But it did have the intended shock value.

My only other thought about your post is, they are going to do it once a month? Sounds like something is "happening" there...

dd

JacDoe
05-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Chris Sarandon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000215/bio), apparently.

ralph

Just think... every time he tells someone "Hi, my name is Chris Sarandon" (his name through birthright), he's had to deal with people saying "Any relation to Susan?" (His ex-wife, who rode 'his' surname to fame).

That'd drive me up the wall, too.

CD Susan
05-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I love "Rocky Horror"!!!! I have seen it several times and loved it each time. I have never gone dressed but if it is ever shown again locally I will most definately go dressed. The audience participation is awesome and the next time I go I will be part of it. This movie is something every cd should experience.

Patricia1
05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Who doesn't like Meatloaf? As I recall everyone dresses in the end, including Brad. In my world, every one becomes Brad. Every also gets a kick out of crossdressing at some time. How bad can it be?

Lorileah
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
This is just too coincidental. I'm going to one this Friday. Just what should I expect? I've only seen the movie once.

What do you wear to something like this? Something over the top, or go for passable?

Katrina

Depends on what you want to do. Over the top is the way most go because it IS over the top. See Rachel's post, she has been over the top and now is going drab (unless she is going in just white bra and panties) Personally I just wouldn't tell anyone it is my first because Virgins get hazed :) Toast and rice are required, umbrellas and spray bottles are optional. There isn't any reason not to just have a good time.

CD Susan
05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
If you are going dressed, and you should, it should be way over the top! Forget about passing! That is not the point! Wear a short skirt with garter belt and fishnets! Be as outrageous as possible! I can't wait to experience this movie again.

battybattybats
05-18-2009, 02:41 AM
There's a remake of the movie planned by MTV. Not with creator Richard O'Brian involved. It's due for release at halloween this year apparently.

Something those for and against the effects of Rocky Horror on society and for and against remakes may well want to prepare themselves for.

Teri Jean
05-18-2009, 06:51 AM
This could be fun and yet telling if you give him too much help.LOL this could be especially if you lend him wardrobe articals.LOL Have fun and take pictures for the family scrap book.

Keli