PDA

View Full Version : Sarees

chloe
07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
As I said in Jill'sdream thread I quite recently dreamt I was wearing a saree. In my dream it fealt beautiful although I've got no Idea what it would feel like.......Id love to give it a go with all the gold earings and ancle chains.
Have any of you out there worn a saree or even thought about it? I know its a little weird but I've spent so much time in India and looking at all those beatiful Indian girls in those colouful sarees, it makes me want to give it go........Love Sita.oh I mean Chloe

Kellie Day
07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Have any of you out there worn a saree or even thought about it?
Yes! Atypically, saris were just about my first CD experience. Women's clothing in the late 1950s and early 1960s wasn't terribly attractive to me, but then the newspaper ran an article about saris and I was enthralled. Here were clothes that looked as good as the classical costume of the Greeks and Romans, and more women wore this every day than there were people--male and female--in North America!

The great thing about a sari is how simple it is. All you need is 5.5 metres (6 yards) of fabric wide enough to cover waist to ankle, a suitable top and petticoat to tuck in into, and you're in business. If you aren't obsessed with authenticity (as I wasn't neither those days nor now), a T-shirt and string around the waist will do the job.

Draping a sari is something you can learn in about five minutes. There are any number of pages on the Web which provide instructions. Here's one which is short and simple:

http://www.kerala.com/fashion/hwsari.htm

You can find many more sari-related links on the site:

http://www.idcw.org.uk/IDC.html

Go to the "Web Library" page and explore further.

One of the most delightful things about saris is how in touch they will make you with the character of different fabrics. Tailored garments tend of obscure how different material types, weaves, and drapes feel and move. With a sari, you deal directly with the fabric, and if you're interested in such matters, you'll learn a lot.

It costs almost nothing to experience a sari--just go to a fabric store, buy the requisite length of some nice fabric, and start experimenting on your own.

These days I only occasionally indulge in the sari, other things being more practical for modern life, but it's a look which, as they say, "fits every figure" and is eternally in style as well. When you consider what some people pay designers to look dumb, it's enlightening how elegant you can look wrapping a single piece of cloth around your body.

chloe
07-23-2004, 03:43 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH..ANOTHER CLASIC chloe spelling mistake (saree)but I'M looking forward to checking out your sari links Kellie....Nameste kat sai hai.