PDA

View Full Version : An unbelievably beautiful comment...

Sara Jessica
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
This is something which happened while attending a Diva Las Vegas event, a dinner at a wonderful restaurant called Roy's. Not something though to post in a travelogue thread, this was a moment which deserves it's own place, and distinction of being my first "happenings" post related to my trip and something which I'll never forget.

There were 12 of us at the dinner. I was the last one out of the bar, paying my tab. Everyone was pretty much seated and the waiter was handing out menus as I walked to the table (we were sat at two rounders of six each). I noticed a couple sitting at the round table to my left, probably in their early-30's tops. He was perhaps a little intimidating, at least visually, big ole biceps, tatoos, shaved head if I recall the details correct. She was very pretty and was sitting in a place where I could see her face. As I sat down, I overheard her say these things (paraphrased of course)...

"I can't imagine how hard it would be to be like them..."

"They aren't doing this because they want to, it's because the have to..."

There was a third comment as well but I cannot recall it at the moment. Bottom line, I have never heard such an out-of-the-blue empathatic comment coming from a direction from which we normally would get a chuckle or sneer. Was she simply stating her opinion based on what she saw? Did he say something and she was setting him straight? All I knew is that later in the dinner when I shared what I had heard with my table I was moved to a few tears of joy.

I had to thank her and when she got up to leave, I did just that. She replied "for what???" and I told her that I overheard what she said to her guy when we arrived. She then said "Oh my gosh, I hope you weren't offended" and I told her just the opposite, that it was a beautiful comment, so opposite of what we might typically overhear in such a circumstance. She then said "Well people are just f#%@ing a#@holes, you all are fabulous" and gave me a little high-five.

Such a little act of kindness, like I said, something I will always remember.

LisaM
05-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us. We just need to continue taking baby steps.

Sonia Greene
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice!!!!

Karren H
05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Awww. That is so sweet!! I over heard a checkout woman at the local hardware store making positive comments about a friend who crossdresed.. After the lady in line said something diragotory about the two guys wearing fingernail polish in front of her.. Makes you feel good..

docrobbysherry
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Like u, I received a note from a GG commenting on my pics. We had previously exchanged short notes.
Her last message nearly brought me to tears! :love:

It was reminder to me of what REAL GGs can be like! Full of emotion, compassion, sensitivity, and acceptance, WELL BEYOND that which MOST men r capable of! :sad:
Where we REASON thru things, they often just FEEL them!:eek:

We can project to be whatever gender we choose. But, deep inside, I think VERY few CD/TS/TGs can feel things the way an actual GG does!:)

To paraphrase Rogers and Hammerstein, " There is NOTHING like a dame"!:hugs:

stephaniedoes
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM
yes i wish that would happen all over the place, thats a great story, and if i could high five you i would also... :D

Sheila
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
that's great hun ..... ain't it great to know that they are some really accepting people out there not justthe A$$holes :)

ChanDelle
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
A wonderful and touching story of understanding...thanks!

ChanDelle

pamela_a
05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you for sharing that Sara. It's very refreshing to know there are people out there like that. Now if we could only infect the rest of the world with her attitude.

-Paula-

deja true
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Big build, shaven head and tats...you're thinkin 'scary biker dude', right?

The thing is... other folks who are on the fringes of society may actually see a connection between our kind of "otherness" and theirs.

I love your story, SJ. It reminds us not to take other people at face value, eh?

Nicole Erin
05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
The biker guy probably was a bad-ass. Thing is, the truely tough or bad-ass types don't feel the need to prove anything.
Plus, there were 2 of them and 12 of you, of course they are not going to have a problem.
If it had been 12 of them and 2 of you the situation probably would have been a lot different.

Sara Jessica
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Big build, shaven head and tats...you're thinkin 'scary biker dude', right?

The thing is... other folks who are on the fringes of society may actually see a connection between our kind of "otherness" and theirs.

I love your story, SJ. It reminds us not to take other people at face value, eh?

The biker guy probably was a bad-ass. Thing is, the truely tough or bad-ass types don't feel the need to prove anything.
Plus, there were 2 of them and 12 of you, of course they are not going to have a problem.
If it had been 12 of them and 2 of you the situation probably would have been a lot different.

Let's not get distracted by the guy in the picture. I said specifically "perhaps a bit intimidating..." rather than scary, bad-ass or anything like that. Heck, biker never even crossed my mind. Rather, he came across as stereotypically male as they come and my perception was that if he paid any notice to us, he might be the least likely to understand the POV of the TG experience. Yet my impression was little more than "he's a man's man" and the woman at the table truly had a heart of gold. Still DT, I agree that we shouldn't take peeps at face value. The description of the guy was added to help set the scene.

As for the numbers thing, I disagree Nicole. I mostly dine in two's rather than twelve's and have yet to have a bad experience. This was an upscale restaurant. Even if it were two of us TG's sitting next to twelve bad-ass bikers, I'd expect them to behave in a civil manner.

Melanie R
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
On our last Dignity cruise to Alaska which ended this past Sunday, we were a small group of 6 CD's and 2 wives. We sat each night at an assigned table in one of the dining rooms on the Star Princess. Next to our table we noticed a couple with a wife who was
6'2", her 5'8" husband and her 2 gay friends who were a couple. We immediately bonded with this group. Sonya, the tall woman, was so thrilled to be next to our table and really thrilled that our table had "women" who were also 6'2" without heels. The hugs we all received from this group was so fantastic. This scene was repeated at least 20 times with other women passengers as well as many men who welcomed our presence. One in our group, Maureen, is Ms. Outreach, and educated many people over the 7 day cruise about our community. We are making progress in acceptance from society.

linnea
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
It's very nice to read positive comments, especially about acceptance.

CD Susan
05-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Sara, it is nice to know that positive comments sush as this one are being made about us. Thanks for sharing it with us.

TGMarla
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Kewl! Makes me smile. The world needs more of her. What a wonderful place the world would be if there was no stigma at all attached to female emulation. In fact, it should be admired. We rock. :D

matrioshka
05-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Sara,

That was a beautiful comment.

One of the people who knows about Katrina looks like the fellow you described. Shaved head, goatee, sleeves down both arms, the whole drill. The way he sees it, what I do isn't that much different from the body modification he practices. Just another form of expression.

Katrina

Christina Horton
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
You brought me to tears hun. I love it when people say wonderful stuff like that. It brakes my heart that some CD girls may never hear that kind of a comment with there own ears. I have heard it a fair amount and I just want to cry but try not to.

What is with that big chip on you shoulder hun. Are you getting to upset at the world . I have found that the people we worry about the most are the one's that will defend us more, and the "harmless one's" are the most trouble. Just that is my experience though. I still love you Erin.But I do speak my mind when I hear something I need to say. HUGGS .

Juliet Simone
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts, that makes my night. That was the perfect bedtime story, goodnight.
Juliet

Ciara
05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Hearing that almost makes me want to go to Vegas - Lol! All kidding aside,that's so cool and what we can all stand to hear once in awhile...

Laci6
05-31-2009, 01:08 PM
VERY COOL!!!!! there are nice people in this world who don't judge!!!!!! btw just a "little tidbit" and not sure what kind of music you listen to but check out Metallica's "Holier than Thou", off the "Black" album....thalks about peopole judging you when they have no right to REALLY!!!!!! take care and good luck!!!!:)