PDA

View Full Version : Something slightly surreal happened to me today

Marshchild
05-20-2009, 04:14 AM
I was sitting in front of my computer, slothing about in a lacy, frilly satin nightie I'd slept in the night before, when I heard the familiar roar of the postie's motorbike. A moment later, I saw him come up to my mailbox and pause by it, as if about to put something in it. Instead, however, he did a U-turn around it and rode across the lawn up to my front door. A moment later again, there was a "ding dong", and I thought, "Oh crap, he's come to drop a parcel off." For the briefest of instants, I toyed with the idea of pretending I wasn't home, only to decide against it. Not only couldn't I be bothered going through the rigmarole of having to go to my local post office to pick up whatever he'd come to deliver (which is what I would've had to do if I hadn't answered the doorbell), but effectively hiding from him struck me as more than a little childish and dumb. Also, I figured he'd appreciate having an interesting story to tell his workmates later on, so down to the front door I went. Opening it, I smiled and greeted him as casually as I could, as if it was the most natural thing in the world for a grown man in a nightie to answer the door (and at about one in the afternoon at that!). To my astonishment, after returning my greeting, he looked at me as if he recognized me from somewhere, and said, "Haven't I seen you on television before?" I told him it was quite possible he had, as, some seven years earlier, I'd been a contestant on the Australian version of 'The Weakest Link' (a show on which I'd appeared wearing a purple satin T-shirt with a big frill around the neck, a pair of ladies' fake leather pants, and a lot of makeup, among other things). He affirmed that that was indeed probably where he'd seen me, and said that, now that he thought about it, he also recognized me from the brightly-coloured satin shirts I often wore when I was out and about. Anyway, I took what he'd come to give me and signed for it, before we wished each other a good day and said our farewells. Afterwards, all I could think was, "Well, that was all a bit bizarre!" Nice to know I'm still a bit of a TV celebrity, so to speak, after all these years, or if that's going a bit far, something of a local personality!

Karren H
05-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Yeah!! Pretty cool!! So are there reruns of your TV show out on the web somewhere? I'd love to see an episode or two!!

LisaM
05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Great Story! I wish I had your courage when I am dressed.

Teri Jean
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Sometimes the best solution is what you did and who knows he may think if he can so can I. Great story.

Keli