PDA

View Full Version : coming out to sister

sami1952
05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
month ago i came out to my younger sister and this coming weekend i'll be seeing her face to face for the first time since i told her.i'a a bit nervous about the whole deal but i hope she understands where i stand.she will be the only one in my family that knows about me other then my so.so wish me luck and i'll keep you posted about it.:heehee:

Daintre
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
A month ago when you told your sister, what was her reaction ? I am assuming it was positive, but I look forward to see your post after the visit.

DonnaT
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Good luck with your sister's visit.

I wouldn't bring up the subject, but let her if she wants to talk about it, unless you are in the process of transitioning. Then you should discuss it with her.

tricia_uktv
05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Donna's right. Leave it to her. Good luck.

Alicia_lynn419
05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I told my youngest sister about 5 years ago.. she's been totally cool about it.... she's even gone out with Allie!

StevieTV
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I told my sister and she said she already knew.:o

Gabrielle Hermosa
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
You'll do just fine, latebloomer. :)

If you told her and she took the news ok, why would anything be different when you see her? If she didn't take the news good... that's a different story, but I didn't see any indication of that in your post.

You should feel no shame in being yourself around your sister. Be proud of who you are and enjoy her company. :)

Erica K.
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
if she was to not be ok with it, I think she would have let you know by now.

Seamus_Jameson
05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Lots of luck, latebloomer. I agree with the others: let her lead the conversation.

If appropriate, gently steer the conversation into a neutral area where she can play expert. Little sisters usually love that. Maybe ask her to look at your jewelry collection and comment on it. Or ask her about a certain aspect of female etiquette you don't entirely understand. Don't look clueless, just allow her to see some vulnerability so she can reconnect with you as her older sibling.

And let us know how it goes.

mklinden2010
05-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Sisters, women, can be just like everyone else.

It may be that the subject doesn't come up at all. She knows, but it's not something of your business that she wants to discuss. So, she won't.

Been there, did that. If it happens that way, try to keep in mind that she already knows about you and she's still talking to you and visiting with you.

I can only imagine what toes or landmines these "non-talkers" are trying to keep from stepping on. But, on the other hand, since they are and always have been women, how often have they sat with another woman and said, "So, what's it like to be in there?" - as they peer into your open eyes?

And, it can't be easy for them to talk to someone about all this when they aren't trained to know what sort of situation they might be dealing with... (Cd/TS/Tg/etc.?) Be prepared to make a short statement at some point like, "Look, about the other day. I have been doing this since... And... And... But, that doesn't mean... And, I appreciate you still being my sister."

Along the way, during the visit, you might offer something of your life that she can relate to... "I never realized how long some things could take, or, how uncomfortable some things could be." "But, when I went to the store/movies/park the other day, I..." She may not say much to any of that, but you have given her something to reference later.

Just projecting here based on some of my encounters with family and friends that took a while to warm up.

Yes, as others say, let her set the pace. And, be yourself - the person she's known all along. Just add a little here and there if you need to draw out the new picture a bit more before she's gone again...

No need to do everything at once, but do a little this time and be happy with that, if that's what it comes to.

There's always next time, and, the time after that...

Katheryn
05-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I told my youngest sister about 5 years ago.. she's been totally cool about it.... she's even gone out with Allie!

Same here. Sis was excited to have a sister, after all those years of just having a brother. We have been out to dinner a couple of times, both were fun.

StevieTV I told my sister and she said she already knew.
Yesterday 04:20 PM

Yes, my sister said she had inklings.. like I used to watch her do her makeup a bit more intensely than any other guy she knew.

Kate

patricia 402
05-22-2009, 06:33 AM
i recently came out to my sister also i hope yours goes as well as mine has my sisters the best she wants to help me with makeup iv only met her four times in my life and shes flying in from texas in a couple of weeks i cant wait i hope she doesent change her mind once she sees me but ill cross that bridge when i get to it good luck and best wishes patricia 402:battingeyelashes:

angelis13
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I hope every thing works out with your sister.
I've been lucky, my sister has known my entire life and she's stood by me through it all
I was so touched by her support i recently wrote a poem to her to thank her.

Angel

sami1952
07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
a month or so i had come out to my kid sister,today i finally had a chance to sit down and talk to her.we didn't have to much time but the usual question were ask, like how long ,how i felt,the usual things.i explain to her my feelings and how i felt when i dress.well she made it easlier for me by saying she understood and she wasn't ashame of me,i wanted to her a lot more but i said not enough time.i pal to go back home next week so we can continue our converstion.it felt great talking to her,i plan to tell my older sister next and i hope she understands too. i have never felt so at ease talking to her.i told her about the feelings i had inside me for such a long time and i needed to tell some one and she was very deilghted that i chose to tell her first.anyway wish me luck on our next meeting.

SuzanneS
07-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm happy things came out ok for you, latebloomer. Having sisters would be great! I hope things keep going good for you.

Suz