PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Flying sisters

Sue Too
05-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure what it really means but I understand that TSA is adding some new regulations August 15 that will require an age/gender match between the information you give when booking a flight and the ID you present when you board your flight. I first heard about this on a local Phoenix newscast. I can't find any information that really spells out the details. Flying en femme is close to the top of my TO DO list and I'm really curious about these new rules. Can anyone help.

Susan in Phoenix

deja true
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Here ya go...from a TSO on another forum...

*... the full identification requirement went into effect a year ago. The only difference is that airlines are now ordered to match your Boarding Pass to your government issued ID instead of you license saying "John" and Boarding Pass saying "Joanne" because you used an alternative credit card. Also, they will be stopping the allowance of alternative IDS not on the official list. HOWEVER, there is no requirement you present as John if you want to travel as Joanne. The inspection policy that we put into effect in 2007 still stands, you present as female then you are treated as female, even if the ID says male. TSOs are very often a**hole gender bigots but you do have a means to seek redress if they step out of line.*

joann07
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Luckily, I have a Florida ID so I don't have to worry about that issue.
All the information on it is the same as my driver ID, but the only thing different is the picture of me in femme.
I've flown a number of times after I got it and it works like a charm.

Hugs!

Joni Marie Cruz
05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Susan-

FWIW, my understanding of the new regs is that the name on your ticket/boarding pass must exactly match what is on your government approved ID. So, for instance, if your ID shows your full middle name rather than just the initial, then your ticket must match. I guess this means if you have your male name on your ID then you can't have your femme name on your ticket. But as far as I can tell, it won't keep anyone from dressing and presenting however they want and you can always ask to be adressed by whatever name you choose.

I hope I got that correct, while I don't fly all that often, the last time I did was in femme mode and I would hate to think that all of us who are TG but have IDs in our male names would lose that choice.

Hugs...Joni Marie

Dita_B
05-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think there is any reason for concern... Last year on my way to Atlanta and back I had nothing but praise for the way both the TSA people and the crew handled my flying en femme while presenting a male ID and boarding pass.

In Atlanta, which is a huge airport, there were several line up's in front of the TSA checkpoint and upon looking at my ID, the female officer told me she had to call a supervisor since my looks didn't match my ID picture. It took the supervisor about 30 seconds to arrive and 10 more seconds to clear my passage...

As far as I know there are no laws that stipulate how you should be dressed while negotiating a TSA checkpoint. So, being en femme doesn't violate any law, as far as my common sense goes. There is also no law regulating who can and who cannot wear make up and/or wigs, as far as I know, so I don't see any reason for concern...

This year, on my way to the SCC, I'll look forward to my trip...en femme, of course...

One word of warning concerns the entering of the aircraft, which, in my case, proved way more difficult than dealing with the TSA, if you decide to wear heels, as I did last year...

The entrance of the aircraft has several rails sunk into the floor and together with having to duck under the door opening and dealing with all those people sitting there already in the first rows, having nothing else to do but observing who is entering the aircraft, caused me to become distracted and I managed to get one of my heels stuck in one of those rails and I kind of made a stumbling entry... And that while I wanted to draw as little attention as possible...

Have a great trip and be mindful of those rails when you are planning to wear heels...

:love:
Dita.

linnea
05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting a state ID card, my legal (male) name and my femme picture. Whether I do or not, the name on my ticket will match the name on my ID, so I guess that I shouldn't have a problem.

Suzy Harrison
05-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I now have a driving licence as Suzy, complete with female photo - and no mention of gender.
I'm also getting a new passport with my new name and new photo - although that will show 'male' for sex :sad:

All my flight bookings from now on will be in that name, as it is now my real name. So flights within Australia will be dead easy - however I still wonder how I'll be greeted in Atlanta by immigration later this year.

But I've alway found flying easier than what you would expect it to be.

denise413
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
I wish the government would stay out of people's private lives. Until then, obviously the government is demanding to know who is getting on what plane and where they are going. You have the right to dress how you want. If they harrass you, get their names and badge numbers. If they get worse, then take legal action. Airport security is supposed to ensure that nobody brings weapons and explosives on planes--not tell you how to appear in public.

Persephone
06-03-2009, 07:02 PM
When Susanwill49 posted the info that TSA would now require airlines to collect gender information,

I'm not sure what it really means but I understand that TSA is adding some new regulations August 15 that will require an age/gender match between the information you give when booking a flight and the ID you present when you board your flight. I first heard about this on a local Phoenix newscast. I can't find any information that really spells out the details. Flying en femme is close to the top of my TO DO list and I'm really curious about these new rules. Can anyone help.

Susan in Phoenix I decided to send a note to TSA asking how the new policy would affect us:

Hi,

I understand that TSA will be phasing in new rules later this year, under which "airlines will begin asking customers for their birth date and gender when they reserve."

Can you tell me how this may effect transgendered/crossdressing travelers who are traveling under their own documented name but who may be wearing clothes more common to the opposite gender?

Thank you.

Here is TSA's reply:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) policy for screening transgender travelers.

TSA develops requirements and policies for the security of the Nation's transportation systems. The primary purpose of passenger screening is to prevent or deter the introduction of deadly or dangerous items into an airport secured area or onboard an aircraft. TSA policies and procedures focus on ensuring that all passengers are treated with respect and courtesy and every Federal screener receives training on professional conduct. In addition, TSA's Office of Civil Rights and Liberties ensures that TSA screens all traveling persons equally, without regard to a person's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender.

Passengers may be directed for additional screening if the information on their identification (ID) does not match their appearance; if the name on their boarding pass does not match a valid, Government-issued ID; if their clothing is loose fitting or large enough to hide prohibited items; or if the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) cannot reasonably determine that clothing is free of any detectable threats. Passenger may also be chosen for additional screening on a random basis.

Passengers may wear whatever clothing they choose when approaching the screening checkpoint, but enhanced security measures require that all passengers remove outer coats and jackets for x-ray before proceeding through metal detectors. Passengers that alarm the metal detector will be required to undergo additional screening. Passengers directed for additional screening may undergo hand-wand screening and/or pat-down inspections. Passengers may request the screening be performed in a private screening area at anytime. TSOs are instructed to honor a passenger's request.

If additional screening is merited, the transgender passenger will receive screening by a TSO of the same gender as what the passenger presents himself or herself to be. If a passenger chooses to have additional screening done in a private screening area, a traveling companion is permitted to accompany the passenger during the private screening. If the passenger refuses additional screening, they will be denied access to the secured area.

For more information on the screening process, we recommend that you visit our "For Travelers" section located on our website at www.tsa.gov. This information is updated periodically.

Thank you for contacting us.

TSA Contact Center

Hugs,
Persephone.

Dita_B
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the post... it is very informative as it comes directly "from the horse's mouth"...

Last year, under way to the SCC in Atlanta, I had to deal with the TSA in Seattle and also in Atlanta. I was wearing my steel boned corset and I told the TSA officer that the security portal would pick up on that...

When all the bells and whistles went off, she put me aside and checked me out with a hand held device... At all times she was extremely polite and professional about it... and I was on my way again within 3 minutes time..

Later, in Atlanta, when they saw that my appearance didn't match my passport picture, the officer told me to step aside to be inspected by a supervisor, who took about 10 seconds to clear my way...

At all times, in Seattle and in Atlanta, the TSA officers addressed me with Ma'am, despite my male ID...

So, as far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no reason for concern. I have nothing but praise for the way the TSA acted while inspecting me...

They were friendly, professional and above all, they handled me with respect... I look forward to my trip to Atlanta again this year, of course en femme!

:love:
Dita.

Joni Marie Cruz
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Thank you so much, Persephone. I am planning to fly to San Antonio later this year to see my Dad and the rest of my family. Of course I intend to do it enfemme. There has been so much misinformation and serious concern for girls like us who are planning to fly as our real selves like we always have over the new rules. You are such a doll for for taking the time out of your day to do this. What a sweetheart you are.

Hugs...Joni Mari

cindym5_04
06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Although I don't have any intent, currently, to fly en femme, I do, however, appreciate the information that was posted. I think that was an excellent response letter from the Transportation Authority as well.