PDA

View Full Version : Any tg/cd that try on dresses when they shop?

emmicd
07-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Are there any of you girls (tgs/cds) that shop in boutiques and actually try on dresses with the sales girl's help?

What is their first reaction?

How did you finally get the nerve to not only shop for a dress but actually try it on and see how you look in it in an open shopping area?

Do any of you girls shop with someone else or usually on your own?

Why did you decide to shop in a boutique and how long did it take you to find the courage to try on really femme outfits in such a public setting?

Are you usually dressed in femme or in drab?

How do you disguise your voice if necessary?

When you buy your outfit and get the approval how do you feel?

Emmi

emmicd
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I do buy dresses but never had the nerve to try it on! I would be very uneasy about this. I still have a difficult time shopping at exclusively womens clothing stores like Victoria's secret. Don't get me wrong I love the thrill of shopping in an all womans store but don't feel comfortable. I would feel extrmely shy and insecure shopping in an all womans boutique trying on a dress. Don't think I could do this but admire you girls who can!

Emmi

AmyCarter
07-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Are there any of you girls (tgs/cds) that shop in boutiques and actually try on dresses with the sales girl's help? sure

What is their first reaction? like any good business model, they want to make a sale

How did you finally get the nerve to not only shop for a dress but actually try it on and see how you look in it in an open shopping area? leave your worries at the door, pick them up on your way out

Do any of you girls shop with someone else or usually on your own? i've never had a partner

Why did you decide to shop in a boutique and how long did it take you to find the courage to try on really femme outfits in such a public setting? why, because it's so much easier to pick out stuff that looks and fits better, how long, about 22 years after i started walking

Are you usually dressed in femme or in drab? whatever it is at the time when i have money to shop

How do you disguise your voice if necessary? nah

When you buy your outfit and get the approval how do you feel? like i got a great deal. the more a salesperson helps the fewer returns she will have so all parties involved are happier

any other questions?

emmicd
07-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Wow! That's great Amy! I wish I could do the same.

Emmi

Fallen Angel
07-06-2005, 06:47 AM
yes i do how i did it was i brought some pics of me in and struck up a conversatoin with the sales ladies and ive been a regular costumer ever since and ive tried on lots of dresses and skirts and even shoes there i even have been asked for my phone number so if some thing comes in that they know i would like they call me

Jonien
07-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi Emmi
I was once in a large shop with my wife and sister thay were trying on dresses for a wedding(thay were both brides maids) I was left outside the changing rooms holding other dresses thay wanted to try on, and was asked by one of the girl assistent if I wanted to try them on as thay have a changing room set aside for vip's I declined at the time but I have been back there, thay are so helpfull I allways go there first when shopping .
Oh the shop "Debenhams at lakeside"

Other times and places I get nerves sometimes and walk out without byeing then at times I can hold clothes up and look in a mirror to see how it looks I don't see anyone looking at me except one time a security guard was following me around and I lost it and left the shop and no not been back.

Did go to get a new Pr shoes last Saterday Evens had a sale on but thay did't have my size I was about to leave when she sead if thay are for you why not try a size 9 as thay were open toe, well I did and thay fitted real nice and for only £12.00 and no embarisment wow
I am one luky Girl
But then I tryed looking for cheep makeup on the market stools but I could't do it why? But then in Boots the chemist no problem

Katie Ashe
07-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Bought my first bra at Walmart, the girl there didn't care. I tried on alot to find the one that fit right. I tried on skirts/cami's at Old Navy, they didn't ask to see what I had. I'm always shoe shopping, everytime the girls have always been helpful. Even shopping for my earrings, the ladies were helpful. Walgreens is getting used to me buying makeup. I have been lucky to not get any bad shopping experiences yet :thumbsup: . I shop always in guy mode, and shoe shop no matter what I wear.

Katie

Jenny Beth
07-06-2005, 09:32 AM
My most memorable shopping trip was one of my very first ones. My wife and I were downtown along Vancouver's trendy Robson St. which is famous for it's many shops, it's probabably the cities biggest tourist attraction. At first all was going well but soon I became very nervous at the throngs of people and it was obvious that I was getting read, the stares were begining to get to me. I needed an escape real quick and it just happened that we were passing a women's clothing shop. It was a rather large shop but not too crowded so we went in to browse. We weren't in there two minutes when a young salesgirl asked if we needed help. She zeroed in on me saying if I wanted to try anything on to just let her know, I couldn't believe my ears. She was Asian, very pretty and her smile was very genuine, how could I turn her down?

We walked around for about five minutes until I came across a blouse I really liked. The sales girl close at hand saw that I had picked it out and was back in a flash encouraging me to try it on. So in the change room I went and put it on and then came out to show my wife. "What do you think", I said. My wife's reply was it looked good on me and the salesgirl echoed her reply. I told her I'd take it and then she asked if there was anything else I'd like. I said no but she pointed me to a rack of dresses that were 70% off, they were cocktail dresses with spaghetti straps. She asked if I'd like to try one on, I couldn't believe this was happening but I had to remember she was there to sell things and probably on commission. I seriously thought about trying on one of the dresses but my arms were not shaved and I chickened out. When we got home I wrote a letter to the shop telling them I was a CD and thanking them for the wonderful service I received. However to this day I regret not trying on that dress.

DonnaT
07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I have, and I was with my wife.

I've also tried on tops at the Dress Barn right on the sales floor. :D

robyn
07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Quite some time back I went to a dress store owned by one person. She had two large dressing rooms. I would use one. If anyone came to the store she just requested I stay in the dressing room. We had this arragement for many years. She made a nice sum of money from me.
It was on my second visit that I just came out and asked if I could try on clothes. There was never a problem.

MistyCD
07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I try them on all the time. I find that most of the shops are okay with it. First check it out in drab to see what the feeling is like. Afterwards I have gone enfemm

Misty

celeste26
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
The consignment shop where I usually go is not a problem. However when I go there I go in drab but with my own bra and forms so I can get a better fitting. Many times I have come out in front for advice and suggestions with no problems.

I have bought there many times and they do hold things for me if they think I might like them. NOt only are they less expensive (which is very important to me) but very friendly.

ErinChristina
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I have tried on clothes at thrift shops and at Layne Bryant ussually wearing a combination of drab and fem clothing. I also try on shoes at stores... My favorites are Steve Madden and Nine West stores. It is so much better to know something will work or not. I have always had good success doing this and have found many of the sales staff to be helpful about my purchases.

Ruby M
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I have gone into womens clothing shops and tried things on in the changing rooms tho without the help of sales stuff other than "this one is fine I'll take it"

I have had help from Sales staff when buying make up and been treated very courteously.

Btw When I shop I am fully dressed,

might try asking a sales assistant for help next I go shopping for lingerie or a dress.

BethCD
07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
The most courage I've been able to muster was once when I wanted a sweater, I went to JCPenney and looked thru the racks, found what I wanted. Went over to the men's side, grabbed a pair of pants, wrong size I'm sure, and went into men's dressing room where I tried on the swaeter. It was a great fit so I bought it. Kinda chicken s**t compared to most, but it was exciting for me.

BethCD

Jesse69
07-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I tried on womens suits at a Goodwill because I could sneak into the fitting room when no ones looking. I tried a womans top on at Walmart, but I used the mens room and stuck the top in between 2 mens shirts.

I would never try on stuff at other places with a sales lady helping me. No expensive boutique shops for me. The most I have ever paid for womens clothes was a Casual Corner 3 pc suit for $205. It fit me - I bought a size 10, but now I wish I bought a size 8 or 6 and tried it in the fitting room. I guess if I were paying a lot of money for something I would try it on first - even at a womens shop like Casual Corner / Petite Sophisticate. But when I bought the size 8 -10 clothes I bought at Casual Corner they thought I was buying it for a girlfriend or wife.

Deidra Cowen
07-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I try on jeans and skirts at the thrift stores. I shop enfemme btw. No one in a million years would reconize me dressed so I avoid the problem of being reconized which is a danger if I am in drab.

I admit I have been too chicken to attempt trying on something at a regular store or boutique. They tend to have ladies and mens areas and I just don't want a big scene. I hate sales people too...cause I have to use my deep man voice to talk to them. :eek:

Krystal Lee
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I have tried things on in several stores and often just ask now, but in the past I would call ahead and ask if it was ok to use a fitting room. The responces have averaged 50% over time. If the shop was not cool with the idea I just don't shop at that store. Did regret that approach once, as I had found a very pretty dark blue cocktail dress I really wanted but the manager said I must buy and try on at home and if it did not fit I could return it. Trouble was I was 200mi from home and so passed it up. Have a Fashion Bug in town here and all the girls know me. When I go in they ask if I need a fitting room. God what a thrill! Could be why I spend so much in that store :D Hugs Krystal.

Michelle I
07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I have tried clothes on in both Lane Bryant and Dress Barn most of the time I am dressed in drab :( . I have been in to both stores as Melissa :) and have been accepted without a problem. When in drab, I have both asked and have been asked if I needed a dressing room. In one of the Lane Bryants my usual salegirl did not recognize me until I spoke and told her who it was. She comment on my outfit and how well I walked in my heels. Those are some great days when Melissa gets to shop.

Melissa

immindy
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Fashion Bug is great! I have shoped there many times. One that I go to, in Indianapolis, the girls go out of there way to help me and have invited me to there special family and friends sale. When I shop I am always dressed in fem attire, but I am not always made up, It is easyer then trying to shop in drab. When in drab you have to explain the items are for you but when dressed they just asume it.
By the way? While shoping at a Fashion Bug in Florence Kentucky one of the gals acted as if I had been there before, but I had not, any of you shop there?

hugs, Mindy

Rachel_740
07-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Are there any of you girls (tgs/cds) that shop in boutiques and actually try on dresses with the sales girl's help?

What is their first reaction?

How did you finally get the nerve to not only shop for a dress but actually try it on and see how you look in it in an open shopping area?

Do any of you girls shop with someone else or usually on your own?

Why did you decide to shop in a boutique and how long did it take you to find the courage to try on really femme outfits in such a public setting?

Are you usually dressed in femme or in drab?

How do you disguise your voice if necessary?

When you buy your outfit and get the approval how do you feel?

Emmi

I always try clothes on now. Usually I just look at myself in the changing room mirror, but earlier this week I did go out into the shop cos I was with my ex, so not only did I want her opinion, but I thought it only fair to let her see me (as she was the one who persuaded me to try it on - I WAS only window shopping). The first time I tried clothes on in store, the girl on the checkout asked me if I wanted to try the clothes on.

Usually I shop on my own, but (as I just said) I went with my ex a few days ago, and I've been shopping with my neighbour a few months ago and I'm planning a shopping trip with her next week :) . I even dragged my brother round the shops in search of skirts (FOR ME :rolleyes: ) a couple of months ago.

I always shop en femme (as I've transitioned).

I'm still working on my voice but when I can keep it right I'm fairly happy with it.

It feels great when someone approves of what you're trying on. I had the approval of both my ex and the shop assistant the other day when I bought my latest dress (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10750).

Anne

Amelia Moxon
07-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I always try on whenever I can, i usually go out in drab apart from my footwear which is either a pair of femme trainers (my grey and lilac converse) or flat soled suade boots (black usually) i have always found the assistants lovely and really helpfull (only a few times have i been met with hostility)

Michelle xxx

Stephanie
07-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I've tried dresses on in stores by myself, albeit privately, and without any assistance. On my first few clothes shopping excursions what I did was grab something I like in the size that I think that would fit me and head right to the men's section and sneak into the men's changing room, sometimes grabbing an article of male clothing before going in depending on whether or not anybody is around. So far, that's worked pretty well for me. I had one experience at Sears where I grabbed something I wanted to try on and snuck into the changing room but realized while I was in there that the fitting room was smack dab in the middle of the womens section (although I couldn't find a mens fitting room-did they even have one?!) and there were people coming and going so I had to change back into my male clothing and bolt out of there at the right moment to avoid being noticed. THAT was a close call but also kind of a thrill. Now that my wife is participating in my crossdressing and going with me on my shopping excursions, I don't have to worry so much about anybody noticing me carrying around women's clothing and nobody really pays too much attention to what I take into the fitting rooms and my wife is more than eager to assist me with my clothing.

Clare
07-08-2005, 02:53 AM
I have only ever tried on femme clothing in target stores, and only then a couple of times. More for the daring and thrill of the moment if anything. The items comprised some skirts, a couple of tops, and a pantsuit. Haven't tried on a dress instore would you believe?

I know my sizings, so I usually don't have to try clothes for correct fitting. I suppose i should get into the habit of trying clothes on instore since Christine is just starting to 'grow' as an individual person.

Christine

Toyah
07-09-2005, 07:14 PM
There are a couple of places I have tried on dresses and corsets small indipendant shopkeepers have usually seen it all, I go to a couple in drab with fem underwear then try things on. There is one shop in my home town where they can spend an hour just passing more and more sexy things then giving an honest idea of what it looks like. Go for it girls

NewShy21NJmtf
07-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I've tried on skirts and dresses at thrift stores, and I've even tried on bras at Victoria's Secret. I was in drab at the time and alone. The stores were always pretty empty, but at VS, there were a few girls in the dressing rooms. I was scared, but I did it anyway, and the salespeople (always women) were very helpful. I ended up returning the bras to VS though, since I couldn't find any that were good for stuffing with homemade breastforms (water balloons).

Stephanie :)