PDA

View Full Version : life changing event

Christinedreamer
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Well sometimes things happen with no advance warning that totally alter our lives
In my case it happened Monday afternoon.
I went for a drive, came home and took a nap. When I woke my left arm would not work. Spent most of last night at the hospital and came home this AM with the diagnosis of Transient Ischemic Attack. sort of like a mini,mini stroke. They don't know if I will recover the use of my arm. If not, I see little chance of ever being able to CD again.

If that is the case, I will offer up the existing wardrobe to the first plus sized gurl.

I don't have the dress in the avatar anymore though.

sorry for the typos but I am typing one handed now.

mighty rough for a guy who ran a one man electronics design company and worked with his hands, but at least everything else works so all is not lost.

<trying to stay positive as I know there are many much worse off than myself and have a strong faith in my friend upstairs. We will get through this.

So now I guess I just have to lounge arounfdin my peignoirs instead of ssqueezing into a body shaper and pantyhose. for that my body is grateful.

well, time to slip into a piece of nylon heaven and catch some zzzzzs.

I should know within a month or so if my arm strength will return so sit tight gurls. I will open the closet door as soon as I know for sure.

happygirl
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I just did for you, and love for you. I know how you feel, I got my thumb taken off and as a cabinetmaker that was the end. Now life is better, lots because of what happened. Fate takes hold and moves us on , to better things. Love, Love,Love to you. Lyn

tricia_uktv
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi Christine. Don't gg's have to put up with what I'm sorry you are going through,

Hugs

KristinSkye
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news but don't give up yet! Some of the stories my wife tells me about some of her family members recovering from certain things has made me learn the body can do some pretty maraculous things!

Anywho, I wish you well.

AllieSF
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Christine,

So sorry to hear about your health problem. I do wish you the best of luck during your recovery. Before you decide to clean/purge your lifestyle, I think you should just see what adjustments you need to make to go on being Christine. Maybe you can't pull on that tight waist cincher. So what. Maybe all you need are some tops that flair out from right under your bustline that can hide the belly. Maybe you can't pull on thise nice butt and hip pads. A flaired skirt with just some lightly padded panties may give you an acceptable look. We all have to make sacrifices as we age or as things happen to us. Men and women do it all the time. You just need time to see what improves and what doesn't regarding you health and then work on your individual plan to adapt. Good luck again and a big hug.

KarenS
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Don't give up yet Christine. You may yet regain the use of your arm just as rapidly as you lost it.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Holly
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
This may be a llfe changing event, but it doesn't change who you are. I(n any case, it is much too early to be making decisions on what may (or may not) happen. We humans have an amazing capacity to adapt!:hugs:

lori m crawford
05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
i have thout about that i have a bout 200 bras an girdles slips an a lot of dress from the 50-60-70 that i wont some one to have wen i am gon but how not the good willi wont some one to have them that will wear them an like them i wont give them up till i cant
wear them no more lolo but i wont some to have tham some lucke girdle fincer or just 50-60 girl-guy

Alice B
05-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I like everyone else am truly sorry for what has happened to you, but agree with Holly. Do not jump to conclusions as it is early in the game.:hugs:

Carroll
05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Many years ago my (step)dad was working in our water well putting in a new pump. He put his left hand on the foundation just as the top came crashing down on it. It crushed all the bones from the pinky to the middle finger. The doctors told him that there was no hope of him ever using most of his left hand again. At the time he was a carpenter so his hand were his life and our income. Instead of giving up, he bought a baseball and a pitch-back (basically a trampoline to throw a ball at so it bounces back to you). It took a lot of work (and I learned how to throw a ball) but he regained 100% us of his hand and has no lasting effects from the crushing.
Do not give up any type of hope!

TG-Taru
05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Second that, don't lose hope. They don't like to promise you will recover, but my (admittedly limited) understanding is that it is quite possible, and even probable to at least some extent.

Midnight Skye
05-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Wow... I realy hope you are able to recover and my best wishes are with you. As the others have said don't give up. Often times its the most determined who recover, not the most likely. Even then keep your spirts up and keep moving forward. That's all any of us can do in this life. Hugs

Maria in heels
05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Christine..

I hope that you recover quickly and everything works out...thinking of you...

hugs Maria

gretchen2
05-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Gee Christine that really sucks, I hope it was a good nap. Like some of the other girls have said do not give up your CDing yet. You might just be limited to wearing certain items of clothing. Wishing you the best of luck and a quick recovery.

sissyboy jay
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Christine, personally, I would darn sure find a way to get dressed regardless. Loosing use of limb (God Forbid) should never stop you nor anyone else from being who you are. Keep you gorgeous chin up and the adorable dresses on. Kisses, Jayla

Samantha43
05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Christine,

I wish you the best. Stay positive and you'll get through this just fine.

Christina Horton
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Christine don't you dare fu*#€'g give up. I have no respect for the people who give up. If you can't do something one way figger out how to do it another way , but never give up. That's the easy way out. Keep your chin up and work that arm. If you build it ( up ) it will come (back)!!!!! So try try and if that fails try some more. Then do it all over again. Don let it win. Hugs. I won't say (oh that's to bad ) cuz what you need is a swift kick in the butt to work it out good luck and I expect to hear your arm is 100% better soon. :love::hugs:

TSchapes
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
:love:

-Tracy

Chiana
05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Sometimes attitude is more important than facts. I had a bad motorcycle accident and really did a job on my right hand/wrist. While is was being worked on by the docs all I could think about was that I wouldn't be able to get my favorite dress on anymore. Did I have my priorities straight of what? When the surgery was over, the doctor told me that I would be lucky to regain 15% of my range of motion back because my wrist was so badly destroyed. But I wasn't staisfied with that and I did my own therapy. It was painful and it was hard but when he released me, I had almost 80% range of motion. Since then I have gotten it back to over 90%. Don't give up. Have faith in God and work at your recovery. Develop the mental image of your arm working again. See the mechanics of it in your mind. You can do it.

Dressing Jill
05-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Well, Christine you have lots of prayers and support here. I wouldn't give my clothes away right now. We are a resilient species.

Karren H
05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Also hope you recover quickly and completely... I also had one of those the days 5 years ago.... when the neurosergon told me I had a brain tumor.... worst day of my life.... So I know exactually what your feeling......

KateSpade83
05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Good luck to your health, but if you can put guy clothes on with 1 arm then you can also do the same with womens clothes!

vikki2020
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
The main thing is to try and stay positive.I saw a feature a few weeks ago, about a person who the docs said would never walk again. He's now running across the country to raise money for the disease that afflicted him.Please stay strong!

Jilmac
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
You have my deepest sympathy for your recent loss of movement in your arm and hand. I too am at the age when the body starts refusing to cooperate. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

Sonia_cd
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Christine honey, my thoughts are with you right now. My mum had one of those and the strong willed woman she was recovered full use of her leg, arm and had no speech deficit whatsoever. But it took the better part of 6 months for that to happen.

Stay strong sweetheart and your body will respond to your will and desires. Take care...:hugs:

Persephone
05-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Along with the others here, please know that I too will hold you in my thoughts and my prayers.

Do what the doctors say and you may amaze yourself!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Melinda G
05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
You may have just slept on it wrong, and pinched a nerve. The body wants to heal itself, if possible, and quite likely might. I've had several things go wrong over the last ten years, that scared the **** out of me, and they just went away by themselves. Good luck.

RobynB
05-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Christine, I will pray that you recover completely.

Renae Word
05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Very seldom do I post a reply on this forum, but today I need to let you know that not all is lost. Keep your faith and be glad for all you have. I had a stroke a year ago and lost almost all feeling on my left side, but with the help of all the phases of rehab. I am able to use my left side. Yes you do have to work at using your left side, but you CAN DO IT. I understand that your work was using your hands and so was mine. Don't move to fast yet. You may recover and get most of your feeling back. My stroke has'nt changed my crossdressing. It just goes to show that you can't change who you are. I will keep you in my prayers.

Shauna marie
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Christine sorry about your medical problem. I know what it is like to not have the use of a limb. I have an artificial left elbow that is functional but limited. I wish you well and hope it returns to working.

Joni Marie Cruz
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Christine, I just wanted to chime in to wish you the very best in your recovery. Please don't give up, okay? Lots of times TIAs resolve with little or no deficits and there is always therapy to help you recover as much use as possible. Some of the posts I read on this thread about how people have recovered from major injuries and so on are amazing. Best of luck to you, hon.

Hugs...Joni Marie

Crissy Kay
05-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh Christine, I am so sorry to hear that. I am hopeful for your full recovery, Hugs, Crissy

Berta82
05-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Christine, good luck and I will keep you in my prayers. Just keep a positive attitude and Don't Look Back.
Berta

Wendy me
05-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Christine going to be keeping you in my thoughts ...... let things work out for a while ..... let us know how your doing............

Lorileah
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I am going to put my best positive spin on this. TIA's happen frequently. Most of us have them on a regular basis but not to the extent you did. You have lots of brain to work with and you can relearn to use your arm. I guess you can put that down as me telling you to work real hard and you can overcome this. IT won't be easy and it won't go away on it's own. Fight for it. I have every faith and confidence that you can overcome this. You built a business and that wasn't easy. You can do this.

I wouldn't give away those clothes and things just yet. You may find that you have a different feeling now as to why you dress and a sense of self that gives more of a carpe diem attitude.

Do you know the risk factors that precipitated this? They are yours to control now. When you do, you will be back on top.

I hope that wasn't too much tough love, but positive thinking and the desire to get better make the medications work better and faster :) I wish you good luck and good health

sissystephanie
05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Christine, in your case NEVER SAY NEVER! There can be recovery from a TIA such as you had. It is a matter of retraining the nerves from your brain to your arm. It also involves you learning to do things in different ways.

Believe me, I speak from experience. Last October I had shoulder replacement surgery on my right shoulder. I thought this involved replacing the upper bone in my shoulder joint and repairing the rotator cuff. What I learned, after going thru the recovery period, was that the rotator cuff was so badly shredded that it couldn't be repaired or replaced. So now, although I have a nice Titanium joint in my shoulder, I am unable to lift my right arm even shoulder high. Also, I am unable to extend that arm out in front of my body. All those motions are pretty much controlled by the rotator cuff.

Like you I thought that might be the end of of my CD activities. But I am a stubborn old "coot," and decided that I was going to learn how to dress one handed. Of course, there are some things I cannot and probably never will be able to do. But I do thank God every day that at least I have two hands, even if I can't use them both properly.

I will keep you in my prayers! Things will get better for you!!

:hugs::hugs:

Mary Morgan
05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Stay as positive as you can. We are all praying for your full recover.

samanthascd
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Christine, Let me add my thoughts and prayers to every one elses. It is early days yet to do anything rash like opening your closet. As others have said given time things hopefully will return to normal, just got to grin and bear it and work hard with the rehab experts. Luv Samantha

Christinedreamer
05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
I realy appreciate the wishes and prayers and encouragement. It must have worked as I am regaining flexibility and some finger coordination. (Thumb touched to each finger in sequence)

The strength is still not there but I have been wearing a 5 lb wrist cuff and squeezing a nerf ball for 2-1/2 days. I think I will regain full use in a few weeks, maybe sooner.

Again thank you all so much!!.

I may just have to get another foofoo dress to celebrate made by the designer of the original one. She is here in LA now and loves CDers.

P.S. she does wedding gowns too.

DanaR
05-29-2009, 02:28 AM
I may just have to get another foofoo dress to celebrate made by the designer of the original one. She is here in LA now and loves CDers.

You go girl!

Lilith Moon
05-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Christine

So glad that you are seeing some signs of recovery in that arm.

FWIW, my uncle had a TIA that affected his arm and his speech but he eventually recovered almost 100% and continued to live an active and full life for many years.

Carly D.
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I had something like this happen to me once.. turns out it was a pinched nerve and all was better a few hours later but I get what you're going through.. good luck bro...

JulieC
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I realy appreciate the wishes and prayers and encouragement. It must have worked as I am regaining flexibility and some finger coordination. (Thumb touched to each finger in sequence)

The strength is still not there but I have been wearing a 5 lb wrist cuff and squeezing a nerf ball for 2-1/2 days. I think I will regain full use in a few weeks, maybe sooner.

Again thank you all so much!!.

P.S. she does wedding gowns too.

AWESOME on the recovery! You've been in my thoughts these past days, and I kept trying to come up with ways in my head that you could still completely dress. Glad to hear you're recovering!!!!!!!!

Crissy Kay
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Now thats very good news!!! I am very glad to see that. I think it helps a lot if you maintain a positive attitude. Hope you get a new dress out of this. You certainly deserve it!!!

Starling
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Christine, I'll add my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. I'm so glad you got such a loving response here.

:hugs:Lallie

Christinedreamer
05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I really want to thank you all for the encouragement after my TIA episode.

As the days progress, I can sense some strength returning but then it fades away again. The funny thing now is that my arm only responds in slow motion so far.

As for dressing, I will just try to be patient and see where this goes. Many websites state this situation usually resolves in about a month or so.

Pulling on pantyhose is a hoot as my left hand just lets go. Took me about 30 minutes to get everything where it is supposed to go.

I think I will just enjoy the lounging around in my peignoirs for a while and just increase the weight cuff and nerf ball use. I guess you cant rush Mother Nature. Good chance to do some reading.

As per your exhortations, I will hold on to my finery in the hopes this will resolve. I have done the usual purgings before and replaced everything so I guess this should not push me to do it again.

love you gurls,

Christine