PDA

View Full Version : Interesting exchange at the Store

Veronica75
05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
So I ran out to a department store in town during lunch, went through the clearance racks and put together a fairly nice but conservative (for me) ensemble-- top, skirt, heels-- for $24. I hadn't had time to shave this morning, was dressed down, and looking very male.

Anyway, when I went to check out, I was helped by a very attractive young lady. She was kind of making small talk with another cashier, and said something about when you love something too much, you lose it. I replied that I had had that happen in my life. She then asked "Was it an object or a woman?" I said "Both." She then said that things must have turned out OK and I must have a woman in my life now, since I was shopping for a woman.

Now, I don't like to outright lie to anyone, so I didn't. I smiled and without missing a beat said, "How do you know I'm not buying these for myself?" She laughed, then I flashed my wedding ring and said, "Seriously though, sometimes I like to surprise my wife with a few little things off the sale racks." Not a lie, but certainly a non sequitur. A little more small talk about how long I'd been married, etc. etc., then have a nice day.

She didn't seem to notice that all the stuff was in relatively large sizes. I guess some folks have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that an outwardly manly man might want to dress girly every now and then.

Lissa Stevens
05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Who cares as long as you got some bargains. LOL. You will have to take some pics.

Super Amanda
05-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I went to Ross on a lunch break from work. I had been losing weight, so I was unsure about my size.

When I brought the top and jeans to the cashier, she didn't even skip a beat, as she quickly rang up my purchases. Needless to say what I bought was too small, (I guess I thought I lost more than I really did!)

The next day I went to return them and the same girl cashier who rang me up the day before took them back. She asked why I was returning them and I told the truth... that they were too small. I never said for whom they were too small, but she kind of gave that knowing smile,

Well I went to the racks and grabbed basically the same types of things, just larger...and this time added a pair of matching flip flops. When I brought them to her this time she held up the top and said "This looks about right, huh?" I said "If not I'll be back!" She added "Enjoy!" and I thanked her. What a cutie she was! It was an enjoyable experience.

It seems that they only will look more into you if you interact with them a bit longer than normal.

JulieC
05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
She didn't seem to notice that all the stuff was in relatively large sizes. I guess some folks have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that an outwardly manly man might want to dress girly every now and then.

Maybe she did notice, but was too proper to say "Your wife must be huge!" :)

Most people in their day to day lives accept things at face value, and apply whatever is the accepted mode to things. You're a male. You're buying women's things. You're married. You're obviously buying for your wife. Occam's razor and all.

Veronica75
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
It makes me think back to the first time I ever went and bought a pair of heels of my own. I forget how old I was, but it would have been high school-college... I went to a store clear across town so no one would recognize me, then I didn't know my shoe size (and there was no internet to look them up on then) so I just bought the biggest they had in a style I liked, which happened to fit me (being open toed helped).

I remember trembling, my hands visibly shaking as I pulled out the cash, and staring down at the counter rather than making eye contact with the cashier, saying nothing at all and slinking away. She just checked me out like anyone else, but she had to know.

The funny thing is, the best way not to to get read is to not care whether or not you get read. And a wedding ring helps.

Karren H
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I love chatting with SA's!!

Teri Jean
05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I and one of my sisters-in-law were shopping this past weekend and we hit a thrift shop. I was looking for a long sundress and lite jacket to go with it and woooow there it was and in my size, $8. So after carrying it for a half hour we went to the check out. The gal at the counter was at least 85yrs and funny as ever. My sister-in-law checked out first and when she had just about finished I was asked if that was to go with the rest, no it's mine. So when she checked the dress combo she looked me in the eyes and asked are you going to wear this to a special event? I responded with a smiling yes as a matter of fact. She then said they had many shoes that would go with it and I responded again with a broad smile, I have a couple pairs that will do nicely but thanks for the help. Now I don't know if she took me serious but the laughter wa heard throughout the store.

By the way I went home and laundred it and wore it that evening as my sister-in-law wanted to see if it would fit and how it looked.

Smile and have fun, Huggs. Keli

sissystephanie
05-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I picked up two skirts and three tops at a discount store the other day. When I took them to the SA (a Younger lady), she said, "Your wife is really going to love these things. I have this top and this skirt and love them." I just looked at her and said, "These are all for me. I am a widower who crossdresses!" She looked kind of shocked, then smiled and said, "Well, you do have good taste!" When I left she told to enjoy wearing them!! All in all, a very nice experience!!

Carly D.
05-28-2009, 05:32 PM
For the rush of it.. I buy some clothing just for that rush that I got in the very early going.. my first thing was shoes at a Payless BOGO sale thing (I love/hate those things).. I used my male shoe size not knowing what would fit me. size ten in womens shoes at Payless.. what size should I get in womens shoes?? well size ten fit fine, they were a pair of low heel pumps, one black patten, the other off white.. these would be the first of many pairs bought over the next year from Payless, then Walmart, then K-mart... once the cherry was broke at a store I found it easier to go and buy shoes there, same as with any other clothing.. I got to the point where I didn't care if it was a man or woman at the check out.. I chanced it and bought some shoes at a local store and that was a regular shoe store (mom & pop owned).. all of those shoes from the very first two years of buying my own shoes are long gone.. and a lot of shoes I wish I still have are long gone as well.. I have pictures (video) but it's not the same thing.. I've never had anyone ask me if this outfit is for me when I bought skirts & stuff.. guess they might think they would hate to hear the word yes because I don't look like a cross dresser in the least.. but we do look less like a "girly man" than most cross dressers I'm finding anyway..

Meg East
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
When the clerk at walmart questioned if the black skirt was for my wife I replied I am more into floral prints but couldn't find anything worth buying.

Katrina26cd
05-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I am most of the time pretty straight with people especially women.

I go to Payless and if they ask if I need help I tell them I am fine.

If they ask what I am looking for I usually tell them womens shoes. Then they usually show me some styles.

I went to famous footwear one time and I had on Flip Flops and the sales lady asked me "Why are your toenails painted" I replied "because I like it" and she said well you have very nice feet.

I bought some shoes this weekend and the sales women asked me if I found what I was looking for as I was trying them on. I replied "I like these"

PretzelGirl
05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
SAs are great when they get chatty. But sometimes you get the strange response that doesn't make sense. You have to remember that sometimes they are working hard and just trying to get everyone taken care of.

I was out of town and stopped at a Ross. I had a full beard at the time. I picked out a dress and went to pay for it. When I paid, the SA said "Thank you Ma'am". I just traded grins with the lady in line behind me. There was no way that I had anything effeminate going that day. She saw a dress and without thinking applied a "ma'am" to it.