PDA

View Full Version : On New Friends, Free Beer, and Messing With People

MissConstrued
05-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Sit back, lads, ladettes, and those of you yet to make up your minds... strap yourselves in and hearken to my tale....

After a torture session with the epilator this afternoon, an evening out seemed deserved. I thumbed (text-messaged for you of the analog generations) a friend of mine, and inquired as to whether there might be a gathering somewhere for the evening. Nothing much, really, but we did agree to meet up at a dive we frequent. So, a slapdashing of some makeup, post-shower; little black top, JEANS (hear that, you know who?), heels... on with the artificial blond tresses, and out the door I went.

The dive was about dead, since there's no longer a karaoke show there Thursday nights, but a near-brawl involving some gang-bangers provided some brief entertainment until the fuzz arrived. Soon another friend thumbed us with the heads-up on another nearby pub with karaoke, so off we went. Some place called "Frontier" something or another. The name does not bode well for a tranny, perhaps... but it's in a rougher part of town... there can't be too many rednecks, right? It smacks of "Dew Drop Inn." Maybe bikers. (This is Lakewood, for you locals.)

So, my pal and I ordered drinks, and headed back outside for a smoke. Mid-cigarette, he got called back in to sing, leaving me out front with the other social outcasts. Now mind, this is unfamiliar turf for me, and maybe it showed a bit. A gal sitting nearby piped up, admiring my shoes, so I chatted with her a bit.

Presently, a [-]gentleman[/-] dude walked over and said, "I've never met a female as tall as you."

I looked at him, flicked my smoke into the appropriate receptacle, and growled in reply, "You still haven't," whereupon he took a rather sudden step back with a "Whoa, goddamn!" I headed back inside. The gal I was chatting with walked in alongside, smiled broadly at me, and said, "serves him right for being nosy!" It was truly one of those Kodak moments. Or cellphone camera moments. Whatever.

Soon some other friends arrived, and we all sat yakking, singing, drinking, &etc. At some point, however, I have to visit the ladies', and this is where my tale gets interesting.

I finished my business, touched up my makeup, and almost got out the door unnoticed. Almost. This is a bar, after all, and the beer recycling facility never stays empty for long. In walked the lady I'd talked with out front, with a friend.

(Ya know, this might be a dead giveaway for cross-dressers. Ever seen a woman go to the loo alone?)

Anyway, it was then and there that we made formal introductions. My new friend -- I'll call her "F" -- loved my response to "that asshole" out front. I introduced myself by my real name, as is my wont, but no! That just wouldn't do! "You need a girl name!" So I told the two of them to think of something. After finally leaving the restroom after a long conversation (if you're wondering why females take so long...), F proceeded to introduce me to the bouncers and the bartenders. F, turns out, is a well known regular. I've just made friends with the big boss in Little Italy, so to speak. "You'll have no trouble as long as I'm here...."

So they and the barkeeps did come up with some names. I'll not relate them, as they're silly (though I suppose one of them will stick), but suffice it to say, I quickly made some new friends and relaxed. F, and the lovely bartenders (one of whom made it a point to make sure I understood she's there every Thursday), insisted I return. We'll see. Then went home. Finis.

Should there be a moral to this story? People are people, most anywhere you go. Be friendly, and they will be too. Not much of a moral, is it? I just can't believe, looking back, that I let my own fears hold me back in the closet for so long.

Sara Jessica
05-29-2009, 07:27 AM
...and this is where my tale gets interesting.

No, I thought it had been pretty interesting to this point. I loved your story and what a nice moral.

But I have to ask, so what will the "girl" name be??? Did your new friend cast a vote? Perhaps that'd have been a good poll question, if they still allowed those around here!!! ;)

Deborah Jane
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Brilliant story, it had me grinning all the way through :D

cindym5_04
05-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Great story and the "you still haven't" line is priceless!

Sarah_new
05-29-2009, 07:40 AM
An interesting story.

Dressing Jill
05-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Great storie.

Joni Marie Cruz
05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Right on. Nothing like a happy ending.

Hugs...Joni Marie

Trycia
05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Glad it worked out for you....you never know where you'll find your next friend.

Jenny Beth
05-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Great story, it reminded me of my very first outing to a bar. I was nervous and not the least bit comfortable but after I while I realized no one really cared as they were all busy in their own little world. Looks like you have found some real friends. Have another free one on me....:drink:

vikki2020
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Now that is one very interesting evening!Nice to have friends in "high" places.You really have to be pretty brave to walk in to an unknown dive. You got some skilz, MC!

Kathi Lake
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Isn't it nice making new friends? :)

This sounds like one of your standard adventures, lately. Love, as always, your forthrightness (if that's a word) in the face of what could be adversity.

Kathi

Lorileah
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
So Miss did you get a female name?

I have been to the Frontier as my male self, took second in the Karaoke contest on a Tuesday night last month. Most the people there did not pay attention to the long haired hippie....and they were attentive while I was up (didn't use the stage, felt better on the dance floor) trying to get the crowd pumped with Al Jarreau "Boogie Down.". Jonah the KJ is a great guy.

After all that I don't know that I would go dressed, I am too pretty to go to jail and I crumple like a paper sack in a fight. But now I know where to find you ;)

JulieC
05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
JEANS (hear that, you know who?),

I'm sure Karren is writhing in anguish reading this :)

It smacks of "Dew Drop Inn." Maybe bikers.

Had to think about this for a second, and remembered the reference. Cool reference. I guess this guy was 'ole green teeth...

Presently, a [-]gentleman[/-] dude walked over and said, "I've never met a female as tall as you."

I looked at him, flicked my smoke into the appropriate receptacle, and growled in reply, "You still haven't," whereupon he took a rather sudden step back with a "Whoa, goddamn!"

:lol:

Overall, sounds like a fun evening :)

MissConstrued
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Love, as always, your forthrightness (if that's a word) in the face of what could be adversity.

Kathi

Forthrightness? I suppose I could delay the inevitable by a minute, but no longer. The only passing I do is on the freeway. People get their hackles up at what they don't understand, or can't categorize, so perhaps it's best to be read immediately. Yup, that's a dude, Bubba... how 'bout them Broncos?

So Miss did you get a female name?

I have been to the Frontier as my male self, took second in the Karaoke contest on a Tuesday night last month.

I did... I wasn't going to say, but what the hell. I am to be known as Dominique. Oh, and I got a stripper name, too. Apparently, a whole bunch of the gals there have given each other stripper nicknames, so I guess I'm sort of honored. :o

It is amazing how paths cross sometimes, innit? Question -- how would you have rated that place as comfortable?

Congrats on the contest. I'd only take second if I was the only one in the contest. My one karaoke hit is about driving to the rodeo in -40 weather. :eek: Anything else provides an excellent contrast for the talented. But then, I've nearly lost all fear of making an ass of myself at this point.

deja true
05-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Dominique!

A Perfect name! Powerful and sly... with a hint of menace and unknown delights!

But I do like Missy, too...

You are definitely a one-off, hunny! ;)

Nicki B
05-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Dominique!

A Perfect name! Powerful and sly... with a hint of menace and unknown delights!

And, of course, it is shortened to Dom.... :dom:

I was going to suggest taking a shortened form of a male name (your own?) - surely that might work for both boy/girl?

Lorileah
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
The staff and most of the patrons made it a nice place. I kind of kept looking over my shoulder near the front door though. We were told it gets a little rough on weekends there. But as a dive, it was one of the better ones. I will go back there again on a Tuesday night. The KJ works real hard to get it not too loud so that you can still talk to people at your table which I like. Overall it is about medium for my karaoke hangouts. For attention I like performing at Supreme Court or Lachuga's.

I just never considered going in a skirt and then sounding like a guy :) Interesting concept.

TGMarla
05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Now that is what I call an interesting evening. Good for you! :D

Dana Lane
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
haha..great story.

Ralph
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I looked at him, flicked my smoke into the appropriate receptacle, and growled in reply, "You still haven't,"
Har! Best story ever on this board. Forum. Whatever you young people call BBSes nowadays. Anyway I would have given my right boob to see the expression on his face.

My one karaoke hit is about driving to the rodeo in -40 weather.
Great googly-moogly, Showdown. Boy howdy, that takes me back a ways. And thanks a LOT for the earworm. I might as well forget about getting any work done today. "Good afternoon, technical support... how may I help you?" Well it's allemande left, and allemande right... "I'm sorry, could you repeat that?"

ralph

dilane
05-29-2009, 05:31 PM
(Ya know, this might be a dead giveaway for cross-dressers. Ever seen a woman go to the loo alone?)

At the club I go to most, the women usually go alone to the small bathroom, although there are usually women at the mirror chatting, so you're rarely alone.

Should there be a moral to this story? People are people, most anywhere you go. Be friendly, and they will be too. Not much of a moral, is it? I just can't believe, looking back, that I let my own fears hold me back in the closet for so long.

Yes, that's been my experience, too. The more relaxed and friendly you are, the better it goes. Women are more likely to be friendly at first than the men (assuming you're read -- if not read, then it gets more complicated if you want to dance with the guys). I make a point to get to know and chat up the bartenders, owners, bouncers, hangers-on, regulars, etc. That's your protection. (Maybe more important if you're on the smaller side).

However, this is easier if you happen to be outgoing and relaxed in social situations. But you can learn to work a room, and it's an excellent skill to cultivate in general.

Then the more regular you become, the better it gets. There are occasional jerks, but if you're seen to be on good terms with the regulars (whom the jerks often know, too), and the staff, everything seems to settle down, and you become an accepted part of the ecology.

-- Diane