PDA

View Full Version : I'm intending to tell my therapist this afternoon

Jill
06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
For some reason, I have been conflicted about doing this, going back and forth about this decision all weekend. At one point literally decided to tell her for sure and at another point decided that there was no way I ever would.

I think I have decided to go through with it but I'm also nervous. I'm not entirely sure why I'm so nervous, I think that people will make a big deal out of it if I do.

I've also been discriminant about telling a therapist, I've wanted to find one that I like and have a good relationship with before spilling the beans. But I'm still nervous about it. I know that nothing bad will happen but I'm still kind of worried.

Anyone have any tips or advice?

Sammy777
06-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Therapists are there for two reasons.
To listen to you, and not judge you based on what they hear.

I would dare to say that this is probably not the first time they would have heard something like this. So just go in there, and have at it.

mklinden2010
06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Do it like this:

1.) Open mouth.

2.) Make sure neither of your feet are in there.

3.) Speak normally.

If you then hear total silence, or, worse, "Caa-ching!" then you're sitting on the wrong couch.

Seamus_Jameson
06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
So just go in there, and have at it.

Agreed.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, write a letter. Read it to her or ask her to read it. Take a picture of yourself dressed, if you'd like, OR cut a picture from a magazine to demonstrate how you feel.

If all at once revelation is too much, bring it up slowly over sessions. Start with something simple, like, "Sometimes I feel envious of women, because they have so much freedom of expression." OR "Sometimes I wonder why God made me a guy."

Jessica Who
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Telling therapists about Jessica has been one of the easiest things for me to do. They have never even batted an eyelash and have been incredibly supportive.

Carrie R
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I told my therapist, she was great. After several sessions, she said I was fun to talk to.

Trip_rockcity
06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
A letter seems a pritty good idea actualy.. .. The trick is to think how you would feel after you tell your therapist. If its a bad reaction, how will you feel, equaly if its a good reaction how would u feel,.. But either way, dont let it shape your desired future..

Robertacd
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
If you can't be open and honest with your therapist what's the point?

AllieSF
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Since therapy is such a personal thing, been there and done that, it is very important that you find the therapist that you like and feel comfortable with. Second, you are going to and paying for therapy becuase you have decided that you need it. So, tell them everything, no holds barred, about you that will help them do their job to assist you. Otherwise, you are wasting your money and time to get incomplete results. That is my :2c: worth

dilane
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Me too!

I've told four (4) over my career, not counting the one my mom sent me to when I was a teenager :)

Zero problems, it's a relief not to hide that aspect of your life from someone.

They've seen it all. It will certainly make you a more interesting case for him or her :)

-- Diane

DanaR
06-03-2009, 02:33 AM

I agree! They aren't there to judge you, only to help.

Carly D.
06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
What are you seeing the therapist for?? just curious...

kellycan27
06-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Your therapist is probaly the one person that you can tell and be sure that she will not judge you. Nothing you say to her will ever leave her office. She can't help you if yo're not honest with her. Just a waste of her time and yours. Come clean and you'll feel like a weight has been lifted.. I promise! lol
Kelly

daviolin
06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't know what you are seeing a therapist for, but crossdressing would be a good reason to see one for. That is if it bothered you that you were a crossdresser. Anyway I'm seeing a therapist myself, just to learn to cope with the crossdressing and to tell my wife. Which I already did. I even go to the sesions in full dress now she loves it. I look forward to the next sesion, it gives me a reason to dress and go out in public.:2c:Daviolin

Sarah Doepner
06-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I would understand if you didn't confide in the therapist, but if you did what do you think now?

Kimberly Marie Kelly
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
explained that I was transsexual and would like to eventually start HRT, but wanted to talk with her to make sure of my feelings.

Then went to my first session dressed as Kimberly. Figured if I'm transsexual I should not be ashamed of who I am. The funny thing was, the drive to the therapist (1 1/2 hrs) I was very relaxed and the session went so well that the therapist said I appeared to be very comfortable as Kimberly. I was very comfortable, it felt so right for me..

Don't be afraid to tell your therapist that your a crossdresser or transsexual. Bottom line don't be ashamed of who you are. :battingeyelashes:

kathrynjanos
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Normally, I'd probably be fairly blunt with something to the effect of "Who cares, it's your therapist, that's what they're there for," but actually I kinda understand where you're coming from. The same applies to best friends and family, and we know how some of those reactions have played out here. Frankly though, I just say go for it. In all honesty, if you're ever gonna work things out with them and yourself, you need to breach that sooner or later. Go for it! And good luck, but ya won't need it!

BreenaDion
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Dont be scared , tell them the truth. If you lie ,you are only hurting yourself. I have my first appointment 06/16/09 . Im thrilled, finally weight bearing issues are leaven. As when i set up app. i told them i need help with GID if there unsure what that is . my insurance company has many more to pick from.. good hunting :love:

joaniek
06-27-2009, 02:01 PM
It's important to consider they may know little to nothing about transgender issues. Several years ago, I went through counseling to improve professional performance and this topic "came out" - the therapist didn't have a strong background in CD/TG conferral but took some time to "ask around". It was a short term run of counseling - but I felt better having shared my secret. If you're confident then bring it up carefully to see how much "therapy-ing" you should get.

Good luck.