PDA

View Full Version : Your Psychologist said WHAT??!!!!

Berinthia
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
After one year, my psychologist said I needed a new job. BULLETIN!

All you people reading this who have gotten professional help due to your crossdressing, what did the doctor say was the TEXTBOOK reason for crossdressing?

Becca
06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
As a psychologist who has no idea what the textbook reason might be, please go on...

Gabrielle Hermosa
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM

All you people reading this who have gotten professional help due to your crossdressing, what did the doctor say was the TEXTBOOK reason for crossdressing?

Your psychologist suggested you crossdress because you need a new job?

Uh... maybe this guy needs a new job. Sounds like the psychologist thing isn't working out so well for him!

My psychiatrist insists that crossdressers are simply made that way - the same way musicians are or athletes. He suggested that we're born into this world as very normal people... until society works their charm(less) on us. Then we end up thinking something is wrong with us, when the reality there is nothing wrong with us, but rather in society's perception and mistreatment of us. I did mention that I was given a very clean bill of mental health AND I'm a crossdresser, didn't I? He's even asked me to speak to groups of medical students to educate on the REALITIES of being a crossdresser.

Would you like the number of a REAL psychiatrist? :heehee:

Sorry yours didn't work out. That's ok. I've hear that morons are sometimes born that way too. Some morons become psychologists. It's unfortunate, but it happens. ;)

LeannL
06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
The scientific knowledge about CD/TG/TS is expanding faster than they can publish the textbook. so if your Dr is relying on the textbook they read in medical school, you probably need a new Dr.

Leann

Alice Torn
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I would suppose, some say it is gayness, others- fetishism, others, that we did not leave or mom.s, or that we desire our fathers' attention. Morons? With so many millions of them, there needs to be 12 step programs, called MORONS ANONYMOUS, and a website called MORONS.COM.

Just one more thing. If a psychologist calls me a moron, or anyone else calls me a moron, I just say "Thanks! Better to be MORE ON, THAN MORE OFF!" nyuk nyuk.

Sarasometimes
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM

That would depend a lot on when the book was written. if it is much more then 10 years old it will likely conciderate as deviant behavior. Newer text has it figured out as being normal variant behvior. Sort of like tom boys in the feminine realm is what I have heard.
I see a therapist to better deal with societal pressure not to get changed. It took me about 6 or more different counselors untill i found a place that understand CD/TG...

Lorileah
06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
10000 crossdressers 10000 reasons. My mind never read the textbook. Right now, today, my reason is I like the look when I dress. 20 years ago, it was fun. 45 years ago I was sure I was really a girl. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar unless you are a psychologist trying to hide your latent gay feelings Sigmund. Nothing more. My mind has way too many other things to work out.

Hope
06-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Crossdressers who started at 5, sure, they are little girls in boy's bodies. But I think there is a REASON that can be put into words that compels guys to dress. I've heard the reasons crossdressers give, and there are good psychologists and not so good psychologists, but what does the TEXTBOOK say? The one every psychologist reads in Med School? Nobody ever take a peek into it? Anyone interested?

THE textbook? Used in med school?

Which textbook? In which university, in which class, with which professor? Also remember that psychologists go to grad school, not med school - Psychiatrists go toe med school... but they are mostly just pill pushers, and not usually the folks we are looking for.

Psychology isn't like engineering where you can have a single authoritative method that can be demonstrated to be superior to all others. Some methods can be demonstrated to be quite effective in many situations, but will fall flat in seemingly identical situations. People aren't like widgets, we have similarities, but we aren't mass produced or interchangeable.

wendy360
06-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Why do we dress. Hell of a question. I've always liked the feel of womans cloths on me.
But lately I've noticed that the more stress I have in my life the more I want to dress. A good frend died 9 months ago and I went on a shopping spree for womans cloths.
I'm currently buying a house and have taken dressing further than I ever have. Walking the streets and even going into a store. Maybe its a stress relief for me
I guess I could go to a shrink and deal with the stress that way but I've always liked to dress so I'll keep doing what I enjoy.
Wendy

LisaElizabeth
06-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Actually there IS a textbook for Psyclologists/ psyciatrists. It is called the 'DSM IV'
I'm in healthcare and I still have my 'DSM III' the last version out. They really didn't make many changes in the bulk of the text, but they decided that 'Headaches' are now a mental disorder!!! SO they added that section and called it the 'DSM IV'.
So-o-o-o from the pages of the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Diorders" (Third Edition) aka: DSM III. Transvestism is listed under the main heading of 'Psycosexual Diorders, Paraphilias. "The essential feature is recurrent and persistent cross-dressing by a heterosexual male that during at least the inital phase of the illness is for the purpose of sexual excitement. Interference with the cross-dressing results in intense frustration. This diagnosis is made in those rare instances in which the disturbance has not evolved into transexualism"
That is the FIRST paragraph from THE TEXTBOOK!
Now you know why it is hard to find a Mental health person that will actually listen to you!!! They are told in the testbook that we are all ill!
I don't have time to type the next 2 pages, but I'm certain someone can find an online source for it and post a link!!
Lisa Elizabeth

DianneRoberts
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Thay are all wrong.
I don't believe for a second that this is not normal.

Every male has wanted to dress at least once in his life or HE would not be "normal"

Isn't it "normal" to be curious ?

What could be more curious than wondering how it would be to look like the other half of the world.

It is only societies "norms" that prevent acceptance and allow us to move forward.

I cannot for a second believe that feeling this great is a "mental disorder".

I feel GREAT right now, fully dressed.
But due to society and that I do care how others react ( my disorder ? ) I'm still back in the closet.

If this isn't "normal" then it must be "superior".

:):)

cindym5_04
06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Oh no!! What the textbook says!?! Does that mean there's going to be a test?

Deb The Brunette
06-02-2009, 09:39 AM

Er.... See my signature lol

catriona36
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
we all do it for different reasons.and even reasons may change for the one person..
i dont do drugs i never drink. so for me, this is my escap(isim)
and it feels nice ;)
I had a foresnsic pysc, winging little prick too...
do they all take a class to get that voice they use? you know, the voice that makes you want to "help" them out of the window:|
:heehee:

Carly D.
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
10000 crossdressers 10000 reasons. My mind never read the textbook. Right now, today, my reason is I like the look when I dress. 20 years ago, it was fun. 45 years ago I was sure I was really a girl. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar unless you are a psychologist trying to hide your latent gay feelings Sigmund. Nothing more. My mind has way too many other things to work out.

I think you are right about what it means to cross dress.. it changes for me all the time as well.. even day to day sometimes.. revisiting the feelings sometimes but lately I have taken on the feeling that I am not dressing to look female but rather to look like a some other guy just wearing womens clothes.. but when I look at my pictures this is how I have been since I got my camera and likely how it was even before I got the camera.. so I'm that odd one with a different attitude towards dressing up.. I don't think of myself as female when dressed this way but rather just as my male self wearing clothes I really like to wear.. maybe I wanted to be a female back when I was younger but now I am more as male wearing womens clothes.. that and I never liked to wear makeup.. that really puts it into a new perspective when passing really isn't important yet trying to look female helps when trying to go out.. just a strange existence..

JulieC
06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
"The essential feature is recurrent and persistent cross-dressing by a heterosexual male ...

So, it doesn't apply if you're not hetereosexual?

Geez what gobblegook. And PhDs wrote this? *sob*

Nicki B
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Actually there IS a textbook for Psyclologists/ psyciatrists. It is called the 'DSM IV'

So, it doesn't apply if you're not hetereosexual?

Geez what gobblegook. And PhDs wrote this? *sob*

Sadly people who call themselves psychiatrists wrote it - but all they're doing is peddling their own prejudices and crackpot theories. :(

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107965

shayleetv
06-03-2009, 01:49 AM
my first shrink told me my dressing was because I was gay. I don't want to disparage gays, but I'm not gay, I am very much a hetrosexual. Can you have trust in someone who gets an important fact about you wrong. Later that year I found out why he said I was gay when I saw a news report about him on local TV news program. He claimed to be able to "cure" gays with aversion therapy. He needed as many people as he could get to give him a basis for his claims and I would have been one of his success stories. Of course, he was gay but not anymore. Glad I ran and not stayed. Reason tells you the truth if you just listen to your own inspiration. Yes, I'm a spiritualist.

LisaElizabeth
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Well, this did stir things up a bit!!! Actually that is good!! I have to agree that the reference is mostly a 'crock' but it IS what these so-called 'mental health professionals' are being taught with.
I didn't write the book, I just needed it for a psycology class that was required to get out of Chiropractic College and become a Doctor.
Just the fact that if you take a 'tylenol' for a headache means you actually have a mental disorder, just plain bothers me!! I mean, I adjust people's necks and get rid of headaches!! So-o-o does that mean I'm treating a mental disorder?? Not likely!! But according to the new version I guess I am a 'mental health professional!!!
See, it gets even funnier if you actually get a chance to look through the book!!!
Have a great week!!
Lisa Elizabeth

Desiree2bababe
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
He never said. Wanted me to figure that out. He did say it was normal for men to be attracted to feminine wear, ie. nightgowns, sexy stuff.......

CharleneT
06-03-2009, 09:19 AM
My Psychologist has never mentioned a "textbook" reason. I assume - nay, *hope*, that she is well past needing the textbook to treat me. Textbooks and the like are ways of learning a subject, getting to be an expert requires real life experience and practice. Sometimes things must go "just like in the textbook" but I suspect that is rare.

sometimes_miss
06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
DianneRoberts wrote:

They are all wrong. I don't believe for a second that this is not normal.
Every male has wanted to dress at least once in his life or HE would not be "normal" <snip>

See, it's this that gets us into trouble. After a while, we start to think, and believe, that we're normal. And in order to do that, we project what we believe to be normal onto everyone else. After all, we're normal, so all normal people must be like us. And I think a lot of it comes from spending lots of time on these websites where we get exposed to it so much, that it 'feels' normal to us. But it isn't to the rest of the world.

Nope. Not all guys want to dress up and act like a girl.

Isn't it "normal" to be curious?
Perhaps they wonder how women feel, but that doesn't mean they want to feel that same thing themselves.

I cannot for a second believe that feeling this great is a "mental disorder". <snip>

and

Based on what, exactly? Wishful thinking? Sure, we all want to believe that everything about us is just dandy, but that doesn't mean that the general population believes it. In fact, there's no evidence that they do at all. Sure, I've gained what I hope to believe is valuable insight into how women feel, but that hasn't been transferable into being more attractive to them; there isn't a large population of women out there craving us knowledgable, thoughtful, sensitive crossdressers.

Sigrid Cutie
06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Thay are all wrong.
I don't believe for a second that this is not normal.

Every male has wanted to dress at least once in his life or HE would not be "normal"

Isn't it "normal" to be curious ?

What could be more curious than wondering how it would be to look like the other half of the world.

It is only societies "norms" that prevent acceptance and allow us to move forward.

I cannot for a second believe that feeling this great is a "mental disorder".

I feel GREAT right now, fully dressed.
But due to society and that I do care how others react ( my disorder ? ) I'm still back in the closet.

:):)

I agree with Dianne, besides is like my phsichologist one said to me about what's normal, "normal is what society consides a norm or something is common", but we the ppl that have some level of Geneder issues, we are a society within the siciety so what we do is normal ;)

Nicki B
06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm sure there must be a text, a book, a "Bible" on the main causes of crossdressing, that was written by Authorities in the field, and has been debated back and forth, criticised by psychologists in the field. Medical Papers are Wonders at being CORRECT in a manner much like Legal Documents and Court Papers, logical and bulletproof. I really doubt your doctor is going to tell you what THE WISE MEN have determined to be the cause of your crossdressing, I'm imagining it's not always good.
I think it would be pretty fascinating to read what really smart people have to say on the subject this forum is based on. Believe it or not.

From another forum, posted by a girl based in Sweden (posted with permission):

the question what DSM really means to trans people around the world. No doubt most everyone of us has a sketchy understanding at best, me included. I can't say I am sure on what I'm about to suggest, but perhaps someone here can set me straight if I'm wrong.

The ownership of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disord ers) (DSM) lies with APA, the American Psychiatric Association, and first published in 1952. This is the organisation responsible for the revisions, where now number V is under way.

What is the impact and significance of it? In the US it is no doubt "The Book", the authority, and as such it is used extensively by doctors and health care givers, but just as much by insurance companies who to a large extent finance the health care system while trying to make a buck or two. Another sometimes overlooked aspect is the impact the DSM has on law makers, and there are some recent examples of how the DSM has been tried used to stop protective legislation for trans people. "You can protect minorities subject of prejudice and unfair treatment, but not if the persons are mentally ill, then it is a question for the doctors and not the lawyers."

So is the DSM and what it says limited to the US? Unfortunately not. References to the DSM is popping up here and there all over the world, and further, there is a strong wish to make the language and diagnoses accordant with another very similar document owned by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en), commonly abbreviated to ICD and now in its 10th version (ICD-10). The ICD-10 is by the way also used by insurance companies in the US as in many other countries.

Those countries that have a national healthcare system as the NHS in the UK are of course in a situation where they can really make their own national rules for everything, including a legal framework. I can't say I see a real push to make either the DSM or the ICD the foundation of our European systems. Some of the definitions and language might be copied or borrowed, but I personally think the the UK Gender Recognition Act of 2004 is a more progressive document, avoiding to make trans people mentally ill per definition. The very recent decision in France prompting this thread is clearly another example where lawmakers can't have used the DSM or the ICD very much, but instead started from a position of equality and justice rather than medicine. I find that promising.

But what about the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care? This document originally written by the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association is now owned by its successor WPATH, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (http://www.wpath.org/). As the Standards of Care (SOC) is probably the only one found in the bookshelves of doctors and healthcare providers in Europe and the world, it is most likely the one affecting trans people directly. Luckily I would say, WPATH seems to have a much more progressive outlook than the APA, a suggestion I can make based on reading this recent document (http://www.wpath.org/documents/Med%20Nec%20on%202008%20Letterhead.pdf) from the WPATH home page. The document refers to both the DSM and the ICD, but it seems done mostly to gain credibility. WPATH also have several prominent trans advocates on the board, Stephen Whittle, Jamison Green and Marsha Botzer among others.

So where does all this go? In my mind the revision of the DSM is a focus point for trans activism, and since the world looks to the US it is also an important issue for us on this side of the ocean. For our American brothers and sisters it is of course of an even greater importance, directly affecting healthcare under their system. When that is said it is a misconception that SRS and other procedures are currently covered, and that depathologizing transsexualism will automatically remove that possibility. The truth is that the picture is much more facetted, and a lot of procedures are not covered, and never was. There are also differences in what policies covers, there is no uniform system or interpretation.

In conclusion I will warn for an attitude where what is going on in the US is of no interest to us. Our futures are linked closely together, and changes on both the medical and the legal field are watched closely across the world.

'Smart' people don't always get it right - and can cause a lot of hurt..

Alice Torn
06-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Sometimes miss is right. We get used to the acceptance of our cd normality, in spite of our indinidual differerences, and tend to transfer that feeling, to thr general public. Surprise! We are considered, yet, by the masses, to be bizaar, perverts, gay, warped, etc, for the most part, and very abnormal. GGs aren't beating paths to our doors! They still look for tattooed tough macho guys, bikers, or straight guys like Bill Gates. Psychologists, can tell us we are normal among cds, but should tell us we are not normal in society, yet, and may never be. Of course, some religions, sects, nudidts, others, will not be accepted as normal, either.

Crysten
06-03-2009, 10:52 PM
One side of his mouth got swolen a bit. Went to a doctors office, sat for three hours, the doc came in, muttered a 16-syllable latin word, walked out, and gave him pills that didn't work. Cost $300.

Five days later, his neighbor (a veterinarian) told him to gargle with salt water. Cleared it up in two days.

Some doctors are idiots. Regardless of what their degree says.

Crysten.

PS. I had to look up how to spell "veterinarian" lol

kimberly ann487
06-03-2009, 11:56 PM
It was George Carlin who said, "tomorrow morning someone has an appointment with the worst doctor on earth".

frangirly
06-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Hmm...That is a new one on me, if that were the case my wife would be searching the want ads for me NOW.

Lorileah
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Five days later, his neighbor (a veterinarian) told him to gargle with salt water. Cleared it up in two days.

Some doctors are idiots. Regardless of what their degree says.

Crysten.

PS. I had to look up how to spell "veterinarian" lol

Yay for my team!!!!! See we vets is smarter than real doctors. We just smell funnier ;)

BTW the first thing in the first lecture freshman year in vet school was how to spell veterinarian...not vetnary :)

Satrana
06-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Well if I am to be considered mentally ill because I enjoy being girly then think of all the GGs who enjoy being girly but are unaware of their illness. Society is in grave danger.....too many ill people running amok enjoying girliness.....we need more straight-jackets!

Kate Lynn
06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
psychologists and psychaitrists are frauds,when I was 9 years old a psychaitrist convinced my dad and step mom I was perverted,my dad caught me wearing my moms high heels and decided I needed help.

They committed me to a state mental institution for 90 days,and once a week for 90 days I was given elctro shock therapy,imagine giving a 9 year old shock treatments.

You cannot believe anything psychologists and psychaitrists say.
When the shock treatments faild,the other psychaitrist my parents took me to suggested a frontal lobotomy,on a 9 year old.

DianneRoberts
06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Do you know what they call the person the graduated LAST in their class at MED SCHOOL ?

v
v
v
v
v
v
v

v

v

v

Doctor.

NathalieX66
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Do any of those Psychiatrists/psychologists/counselors ever bother to read the Merck manual?

This page describes paraphilas, scroll down to find what it sats about transvestic fetishism:
Transvestic fetishism is considered a mental health disorder only if it causes distress, interferes with functioning, or involves daredevil behavior likely to lead to injury, loss of a job, or imprisonment. Transvestites also cross-dress for reasons other than sexual stimulation—for example, to reduce anxiety, to relax, or, in the case of male transvestites, to experiment with the feminine side of their otherwise male personalities. Some men who appear to be transvestites only in their teens and twenties develop gender identity disorder later in life and may seek to change their body through hormones and genital surgery.

link:http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec07/ch104/ch104c.html

Kate Lynn
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Do you know what they call the person the graduated LAST in their class at MED SCHOOL ?

v
v
v
v
v
v
v

v

v

v

Doctor.

Thats right and they go work in VA hospitals.

Miranda-E
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Yay for my team!!!!! See we vets is smarter than real doctors. We just smell funnier ;)

BTW the first thing in the first lecture freshman year in vet school was how to spell veterinarian...not vetnary :)

Of course vets are smarter (or at least better trained) they have to have a working medical knowledge of more than one species.:devil:

Nicki B
06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
So.... Is the moral of this thread 'Go visit a pet psychologist'?? :whistling:

Miranda-E
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM

At this time I don't have a valid textbook reason to give my clients.