PDA

View Full Version : Ooops! She Said It, Now I'm Gonna Pay

Persephone
06-04-2009, 11:08 PM
My spouse and I (en femme) went to a new local restaurant for dinner. Very nice and the food was pretty good. The waitress was reasonably attentive and perfectly appropriate in her use of the word "Ladies."

We both had leftovers and we boxed them up. Since my spouse uses them as lunches at work, I was starting to put both boxes in one bag when the waitress came over and offered to do that for us.

Attempting to make putting both boxes in the same bag seem appropriate, I turned to my spouse and said something like "You're going to take them both, right?"

Well, the waitress, not hearing whatever I really did say, turned to me and said, "She's your Mom?"

We both looked up startled and my spouse said, "No, we're sisters."

The waitress, looking at me, immediately said, "Oh! I thought you said she was your Mom! She certainly doesn't look old enough to be your Mom!"

Yipes! Any advice on how to make this one all better?

ReineD
06-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know that you need to make anything better. :) If I was your wife, I would have understood that the waitress had misheard you, thinking you had addressed your wife as "mom" or something. The waitress was merely expressing her disbelief that your wife could be your mother. It is obvious the waitress did not feel there was such a disparity in your ages.

Just curious though, why would you not tell the waitress to put both boxes in the same bag?
:hugs:

Jessica Who
06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear about your tough situation. You should probably take her somewhere that she really has been wanting to go to.

Maybe a movie, park, broadway show, or a museum? Spontaneous vacation?

Good luck

Persephone
06-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Just curious though, why would you not tell the waitress to put both boxes in the same bag?
:hugs:

The waitress had brought two bags, assuming we would each want our own leftovers.

Maybe a movie, park, broadway show, or a museum? Spontaneous vacation?

Good luck

Thanks, Jessica, good idea!

5150 Girl
06-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Tell her you're lovers, or life partners, or somting like that.

Sally2005
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I think you're off the hook for the 'Mom' issue, but imagine if you had said, "she's taking both, I'm on a diet!"...

Barbara918
06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Y'know, maybe it's just me, but I would've replied "No, I'm not her daughter -- I'm her husband."

Carola
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, waiters should keep their moutch shuts sometimes. On mother's day, my entire family (uncles, cousins, etc) went to a restaurant and when we left, i stayed behind chatting with an aunt who is more than 20 years older than me. A waiter started to make some comments in our conversation and suddenly he asked: Is she your wife? Maybe I don't look too young but certainly i don't look that older.
At this point, my aunt should feel really happy because someone though that she could be married to someone that looks younger than her, but when i said "No" the waiter added this time refering to my aunt: Oh, I though you were pregnant! The smile run away from her face as she was told FAT between lines.
We both later agreed that we have come back to the table and take the tip back...

Christina Horton
06-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Y'know, maybe it's just me, but I would've replied "No, I'm not her daughter -- I'm her husband."

I would have said she's my wife. But that's me.

Does your wife think it to be an insalt? and then if she does then you buy her diamonds and stuff.

Give your wife a big kiss form all of us whom like me don't have a girl friend , or have a SO whom does not approve. YOU are very lucky girl friend.

DonnaT
06-05-2009, 02:55 PM
It's California, so just act married. If your wife is OK with that.