PDA

View Full Version : The long walk home...

Cristi
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Or long walk back to the car, anyway.
Something happened to me for the first time today. I was out shopping, dressed in a nice short, light Summer dress (the one in my avatar, without the white sweater), sandals with a 3" heel and pantyhose (it isn't Summer yet and a bit cool here, so yes, I am still wearing hose). All was going well until I broke a heel! :(
This has never happened to me before and I'd never really thought about the consequences. I was at the far end of the mall/plaza when it broke and I had a LONG wobbly walk back to the car. I guess I could have taken both shoes off and walked in just my hose, but the sidewalk had gravel and bits of glass on it, so I was hesitant to do that.
I was never so glad to get back to the car, plus I had a pair of flats in the car (stashed away for when my feet got tired of the heels) so was able to change shoes and go out again.
Has this ever happened to any of you? How did you deal with it?

Miranda-E
06-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I keep a pair sneakers in the car (boots in winter) But I've never broken a heel, ever. I've had a ankle strap come loose once. I just super glued it as a quick temp fix.

Christina Horton
06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Not yet but once when I thought my vette was stolen I got a huge blister on the ball of my foot for walking around for 2 hours looking for it. I think you were lucky to have the flats I never carried a second pair of shoes with me . I think I will start from now on thank you for that story. I got some good advice!

Bootsiegalore
06-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Not yet but once when I thought my vette was stolen I got a huge blister on the ball of my foot for walking around for 2 hours looking for it. I think you were lucky to have the flats I never carried a second pair of shoes with me . I think I will start from now on thank you for that story. I got some good advice!

Ooooh! You got a Vette too! I love mine! Its Torch Red. Only thing that sucks is getting out of it.

Never broke a heel out. Broke one in the house.

Tara

Nicki B
06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Lost a 4" heel off a court shoe (you call 'em pumps) in London, one evening, years ago..

It's like laddering your tights? You just have to deal with it, just like any other woman. Which means walking in an ungainly manner, on your toe, until you can get back to your car (or a shoe shop)..

Jenny Brown
06-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Lost a 4" heel off a court shoe (you call 'em pumps) in London, one evening, years ago..

It's like laddering your tights? You just have to deal with it, just like any other woman. Which means walking in an ungainly manner, on your toe, until you can get back to your car (or a shoe shop)..
You Brits sure talk funny. :doh:
What is "laddering your tights" ?

Sarah Doepner
06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Before we get a response on "laddering your tights" I'd like to guess. It sounds like getting a run in your nylons. They tend to create a ladder like pattern. Do I win?

And no, I've not broken a heel, but I've almost wished I had when the walk that was supposed to be short became much too long. I would have broken both heels off just to never have to wear those shoes again while saving my soles.

Anna the Dub
06-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Before we get a response on "laddering your tights" I'd like to guess. It sounds like getting a run in your nylons. They tend to create a ladder like pattern. Do I win?

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

Cristi
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Before we get a response on "laddering your tights" I'd like to guess.

Gee, I would have guessed it had something to do with the obscure practice of taking tights from several women, knotting them together and making them into an emergency 'rope' ladder to escape from a burning building.

It brings to mind one of those horrid disaster movies of the '70s (Either 'Earthquake' or 'Towering Inferno'). The kind of movie that kept Ernest Borgnine employed. I remember them doing this in one scene.

Back to the topic on hand: I guess there are several 'wardrobe malfunctions' that can happen while out. Heels breaking, laddering pantyhose, broken bra straps... I HAVE gotten home after outings to find long runs in my pantyhose going from my shoe all the way up.

One of the most potentially embarasing episodes was when I was out in a dress and panties with elastic that wasn't in very good shape. As I walked along I kept feeling them slipping down and had to quickly make my way to the ladies room several times to pull them back up before they ended up around my ankles! :(

Persephone
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Totally right, you just have to deal with it, just like any other woman.

A couple of Halloweens ago we were heading to a party and stopped at a restaurant for some dinner first. I was wearing 5" superspikes, the kind that have a heel 1/4 the size of a stiletto.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/Shoe.jpg
Something felt funny as I was about 1/2 way across the gravel paved parking lot from the car. I looked down and realized that the sole had come off one of my shoes and that I was basically walking on just an inner sole. It felt like being barefoot and on tiptoes on gravel.

Since my friends were all in the restaurant already, I continued in that direction. After dinner and tiptoeing back to the car I changed into another pair of 5" superspikes that I'd brought along.

Interestingly enough, the sole fell off of one of those the next day!

Laura C
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
hi i broke a hel walking into a Younker store 50 miles from home. I just went in the shoe dept and bought some new ones Only thing bad about it was that they were my fav boots

Kate Lynn
06-05-2009, 05:23 PM
What is "laddering your tights" ?

getting a run

JackieInPA
06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I dunno i would prolly just break the other one...if they were not a pair i was gonna get fixed.

Nicki B
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM

You mean, you Yanks don't?? :rofl:

After dinner and tiptoeing back to the car I changed into another pair of 5" superspikes that I'd brought along.

As you do... :rofl: :rofl:

carhill2mn
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I was on my way to attend a small wine/hors de vours party in support of a vocal group when one of my heels broke just as we were ready to go in. I "parked" my heels and spent the evening in only my hose. Fortunately, I did have a pair of flats in my car which was parked several blocks away. I walked in my stocking feet to my car to get my flats and then drove to a nearby bar for the rest of the evening.

Anna the Dub
06-05-2009, 06:48 PM

You should hear us Irish talk, you probably would have a lot of difficulty understanding us.

Jenny Brown
06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
You mean, you Yanks don't?? :rofl:
As you do... :rofl: :rofl:
No, we are easy to understand. :battingeyelashes: At least we don't have a food called "spotted dick". :eek::eek:

Christinedreamer
06-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I would love to visit England, Ireland and Scotland, but after googling "spotted dick" and a few other British et al menu items, I can only come for a short time as I will have to bring along an Outback Steakhouse contingent with me or a trunk of KFC along with my wardrobe.

Bobbi Em
06-06-2009, 05:11 AM
I dunno i would prolly just break the other one...if they were not a pair i was gonna get fixed.

Yeap. That's the quick & practical thing to do. And how much more would it cost to fix 2 heels as opposed to one?

I'm tempted to carry a backpack with me just so I'll have everything I could possibly need when a disaster strikes, but they make backpacks, or luggage even, that would cover everything.

Bobbi

Nicki B
06-06-2009, 06:08 AM
No, we are easy to understand.

Actually, many of you in the US make the assumption that you are understood. And, foreign policy-wise, it gets you into big trouble, regularly. :sad:

We can all use language that unintentionally excludes others - but it's important to try not to, or to rectify it if we do, not blame them.

That comes back to the whole 'accepting difference' thing..

Jenny Brown
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Actually, many of you in the US make the assumption that you are understood. And, foreign policy-wise, it gets you into big trouble, regularly. :sad:

And US foreign policy has what to do with this forum? :doh: