PDA

View Full Version : Growing your hair out long?

bland867
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi I am a crossdresser and I love long hair. It just makes you feel soo feminine. I currently have long hair to my shoulders which when I am in guy mode, I wear it in a ponytail. When I am in girl mode I straighten or curl it with girl hair accessories. I want to grow my hair really long to lower back and I am thinking of getting extensions for the time being. What do you think? Has anyone else grown their own hair long?

Lorileah
06-07-2009, 12:58 PM
mine is about 34 inches long. I usually keep it in a braid because it flies around in the wind. :) Unfortunately the hair on top of my head is .05 inches long :(

Shikyo
06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I started growing my hair four five years ago. It has reached a nice length of around two feet, so it reaches rather exactly where the bra goes.

My advice is, if you feel like you want to have a nice long hair, just go for it. There's nothing better than the feeling of your own long hair. Myself, I wouldn't resort to any hair extensions as they are rather expensive and sooner or later they will be cut slowly away assuming they even last that long. It takes long to grow you own hair but let me tell you that it's totally worth it.

Sarah...
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I had very long hair as a young - well, a young thing, whatever I was :)

Then it went short.

Then long.

Then short.

Now it's going long again and after a lifetime of trying the options I think I prefer it long. Mostly. Until I want it short again.

You want extensions? Fair enough :) It's your hair. It may look fantastic and you may love it. And other people may not care. And if you don't like it the long hair can go. That's the amazing thing with hair. You can do what you want. It always does it's own growing thing whatever the weather :)

'cept if you're going bald - then it won't grow much at all. And that's another challenge altogether.

Sarah...

Sarah Doepner
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I haven't had a haircut in a year now, but not for CD purposes, it's much too thin and has receeded too far back to work. I retired last year and after 30 years of a grooming code to follow, this is kind of fun. It isn't going to last much longer, but it's fun for now.

Aubrey Green
06-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I grew up in the 60's when long hair was in. So I still prefer long hair. It very often gets between my shoulder blades. I cut it probably twice a year, but still to the bottom of my collar only, no shorter. Gotta keep up that male mistique :D But would rather have it to my butt, if I had my choice. :daydreaming:

Sharon B.
06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I keep saying or telling myself that I am going to let my hair grow long but every-time it gets past my ears I go and have it cut.
I am getting tired of living this double life that I have been doing for too long now, maybe this year will be the year I allow it to grow out.

SweetCaroline
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Here! Here!

I've been a crossdresser all my life. Out and about in public for two years, and I've never once worn a wig, and hope I never will...

VeronicaMoonlit
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Not long after I came out to my mother and sister, I began growing my hair out, and I've kept it "long". I can't grow it too long, because that makes it look flat. But in all my pictures, that's my own hair.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

CharleneT
06-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Mine is down to the middle of my back and has been for 12 years or so. Right now I am considering a shorter style, so that I can get one that is more feminine and 'changeable'. The problem with long hair - minus bangs - is that it actually is very andro and not nearly as feminine as you might think. The other choice (for me) would be bangs. We'll see....

Lisa Renee
06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes I have been growing my hair for a few years now. It's about 3 inches past my shoulders. But it doesn't grow very fast. I keep it in a pony tail in guy mode. Never had anyone at work say a thing about my long hair.

O2B Barbara
06-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Been letting it grow for the last year and half. Not quite long enough to get it all into the pony tail but soon. I normaly do the tail at work and just let it go at home. Get a lot of comments but I have told some people that it is for Locks of Love and that ends the discussion. I love the feel on my shoulders and can't wait for the next 4-6 inches to grow.

Nicole Erin
06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Mine is kind of long and thick everywhere except the back. I do not like my hair on my collar, lest someone think it was a stupid mullet.

kellycan27
06-07-2009, 06:53 PM
My hair has grown to about the middle of my back. i used to keep it at a length about between my shoulders and the top of my bra strap, but have since let it grow and grow.

TxKimberly
06-07-2009, 06:57 PM
If my hair would grow, I'd have it down to my butt!

christinek
06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I grew my hair for 6 months and it was horrible. Straighten every day with a flat iron and it looked bad. I hated it and was just frustrated. I know what curly haired girls go thru.

WIG is my only option.

Bethany38
06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
My Wife loves my hair long and so do I. Since I am no longer working at the time I am planning on letting it grow baby, grow. I had loooong hair when my wife and I first met and it's going back that way now. I have not cut it since this time last year, and it's almost pony tail length. I can't wait `til next years length. The only time my wife ever comments about my hair length is when she is proclaiming how jealous she is over it. :tongueout {there hun if you read this, that's for you} Anyhow to all those with long hair grow baby grow.

Bethany

Xenia
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I had my hair long in college, then cut it short for job-related reasons....then grew it back, and cut it again for job interviews. Right now, I've got a nice short guy-cut.

I've got no desire to grow it back. Partly it's that long hair's a pain in the tuchis to care for, and partly it's that I like having separate boy and girl modes. Back when I had the long hair, I'd put on some makeup, look in the mirror, and see.....well, just plain ol' me with makeup. In contrast, back when I had a couple of wigs (before my one and only purge....), I loved the way that wearing one would make me look so dramatically different from my everyday self.

So I guess I'm happily short-haired right now. Now I just gotta replace those wigs.....:)

Cristi
06-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I've had my hair halfway down my back for over decade. That isn't the problem, the problem is the FRONT. My hairline keeps inching back to show more and more forehead, which I have to get quite creative to cover. :(

Jennifer in CO
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
hasn't been cut in 20+ years...

used to touch my belt (when loose) and currently when braided just below my bra-strap

Jenn

kristinacd55
06-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Had mine long back in the 70's in college, beautiful blonde hair & all the older women would say "look at that hair, you should've been a girl!" If only they knew! :heehee:

Angel.Marie76
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I've had Long hair for about 15+ years, everything from a mullet *gasp* to what I have now, all long, layered and highlighted.

I've had hair all the way down to my belt at times, and usually chopped off a foot at a time to compensate for employement changes. Now I wear my hair down almost constantly every day, and only ponytailed when working hard.. otherwise it gets bunned or clipped. :)

Carole Cross
06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
My hair has always been of varying lenghts over the years. I had it cut quite short a year ago but since then I haven't had it cut and it is now down to almost shoulder length. It is too long for my wig and I am getting some tips on styling it on wednesday, so I won't need my wig any more. :D

StephanieC
06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I stopped having regular haircuts last October, except for periodic cuts to prevent split-ends. That was until last month, when I had a bit more trimmed in anticipation of summer. I had a perm a month or so back and the last cut, in addition to helping the layering, helped more of the curls to "pop".

I still do the curler thing from time-to-time. (I'm not really a ponytail person.)

rickie121x
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow, lots of "long hairs" in this group! My hair length is just past my bra strap. However, and that's the key word here, I have a fairly good sized bald spot developing on my crown. The result is that the number of hairs is not quite up to par, and my ponytail is just a bit thin. Arranging the flow of hairs is critical... :heehee:

I seem to have the wash and color rinse processes down to a science now, and I am a gray blonde with a quite shiny luster. ...love that. :daydreaming: The color rinse doesn't color all the hairs with the same intensity, and so I have natural streaks... Love that too.

The only down side seems to be that a lot of hours per week go into keeping my hair looking nice. And I just have not picked up the tricks of using curlers - why should that elude me?

My hair is fine, and I really have to be careful with it, combing, drying, sleeping... all take gentle techniques. Also I am 74, when most guys don't have much hair, so I feel pretty special.http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79069&d=1231025010

kathrynjanos
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Growing mine as we speak - and it's a painfully long process, especially for me. My hair just kinda goes EVERYWHERE - it's thick and voluminous, and has a nice little curl to it that unfortunately means hell for me if it's longer than about 1.5" and shorter than probably below my ear, which I've never had it at anyway, so this is all new and exciting for me.

Only problem is that so far, I am finding it very warm to wear this way, and my gel budget has gone through the roof. Eeek!

bland867
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks girls for the responses. You all look sooo beautiful in your pictures and each and every one of yours hair is gorgeous. My goal is to grow it really long at least mid back and go from there. Id love to talk to all you girls individually to get to know you and to get crossdressing advice! Best wishes :)

samanthascd
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I imagine that I'm in the same position as quite a few of all you lovely ladies, as my hair grows just fine on the sides and back but very much deficient on top. I just don't see me doing anything with the long hair like some ridiculous come over a la "The Donald" lol. So its keep on with a good quality wig. At least with a few wigs one can have a few changes in looks to match ones mood!!
Luv Samantha.

Jessica Who
06-09-2009, 02:52 PM
That's pretty cool, it sounds like it makes you very happy. I grew my hair out long once to get braids, totally not feminine related.

However, just before I cut it, my wife put extensions in my hair, I took pictures but then I erased them later during a virtual purge.

Shelly67
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I was loving the feeling of my hair growing again , was so looking foward to having it long again . That was until i was placed on a redundancy short list , so to keep smart for interviews I,ve had the lot cut off...............:sad:

Bootsiegalore
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
My hair sucks. I keep it short and wear a wig.

I am completely grey. My hair itself is thin but I have a thisk head of hair, it gets too wavy and crazy if I let it grow. I keep a #2 shave and go with the wig.

Tara

Tasha T
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I just tried letting my hair grow for six months and once again I had to end the experiment and cut it. The reason is that my hair is so THICK and WAVY that it gets to a certain point that I can't manage it and it looks horrible no matter what I do. It doesn't really grow long, just thick and heavy like a Chia pet. I wish I could grow my hair out long and straight. I would grow it down my back, color it and highlight it.

Kassina
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I've had long hair for many a year. 5 or 6 in fact and I've had no real problems. Though being young, people probably don't give it too much thought. I do have 2 problems with my hair though.

1, I already have a definite widows peak.
2, I fear my hair has reach its total length and won't grow anymore.

gender_blender
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
The hair in my images is my own. I started growing it out in college and continued maintaining it into my professional career. It's currently to my bra line.

Teri Jean
06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Bland,
Have I introduced myself to you yet? I'm Keli and I already hate you. LOL If I had hair I would but the little I have is hidden under my wigs. Lucky girl. Yep I hate you already.

Huggs Keli

Stitch
06-10-2009, 03:32 AM
I love long hair. My hair is my pride and joy and I'm aming to get it down to my bottom. It's currently past my elbows. It was down to the small of my back last year but in a moment of stupidity I had it cut. I cried afterwards. Never again. :sad: Luckily my hair grows fast.

I'm not one for opening ogling people in public, but long hair (By long hair I mean past the bra strap level and downwards.) on a person regardless of their gender will always make me turn my head. To look at the hair though, not the actual person. I suppose its my version of "wow look at that fabulous outfit." It has to be well kept though. I don't like greasy hair at all.

If your growing it, make sure your watching for split ends. They can damage a perfectly wonderful head of hair and then you'll have to have inches cut off to repair it all.

Be careful with styling with hair driers, curling tongs and straighteners as they can damage hair and on long hair it can be very noticeable. If you consider than hair is dead and cannot repair any damage it receives. Its fine on shorter hair as it takes less time to regrow healthy hair.

Gisele
06-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Im growing mine back out. It use to be down to the small of my waist and chopped it off when I tried out for out state police. That was back in 96 and I have kept it about 1/8 of an inch since.

Last Nov. I told myself I am not cutting it any more! Just keeping the dead ends trimmed. I have had color put into it also. Darn grey! that started in my late teens.

Phyliss
06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Been letting it grow for the last year and half.... I have told some people that it is for Locks of Love and that ends the discussion. I love the feel on my shoulders and can't wait for the next 4-6 inches to grow.

Also my "stock answer" Locks of Love. Actually it's a prwetty good thing and I really will donate it my hair .... some year. Right now it's about 8 inches beyond the band when I wear it in a pony tail. Had to get a new wig in my same normal color to cover the "bright spot" on top of my head.
I figure when it gets down to somewhere near my butt, I'll have it cut back a bit.

The fun part of wearing a pony tail is being able to pull it high on my head in a sort of "girl style" rather than hanging from the bottom in guy style.

missyanytime
06-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Hi. Well let me first say i have always been attracted to and love long hair. Currently mine is almost to my belt line in the back and i love it . So many options to wear it out ponytail braid pig tails (to look cute and innocent). Took me 17 yrs so i hope you can wait a bit :)

Missy

Dana Lane
06-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I used to have long hair (shoulder length) but have been getting it cut very short for the last 9 years. I'm now growing it back and have a long ways to go! I absolutely HATE wearing a wig. It just doesn't feel right. Maybe it is because I'm new to this but I can't wait to get my hair grown back out.