PDA

View Full Version : Public Forum posting

Sarah Doepner
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
A while back I suggested others write things that could be posted for public forums, but didn't offer to do it myself. What a jerk I was. Yesterday was the Pride Parade in Salt Lake City and there is a long article with lots of photos in today's Salt Lake Tribune ( SLTrib.com ) along with an area for comments. All the comments were Gay Rights related and nothing there related to the "T" part of the GLBT community. So, I did what I suggested others do and added my comments. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, tried to cram a lot into the limited space they provide, and I probably missed a lot of opportunities, but maybe I've done something to start a more public dialog. I may be looking for help in building responses later, so here is my post.

------
And now for the minority of the minority to raise a voice. Yes, the "T" in GLBT is for Transgender, not Transexual as the article is written. Transgender refers to the issue of Gender Identity and is expressed as Crossdressing. It's not the Drag Queen type of crossdressing that is referred to here. It's a need to represent oneself as a member of the other sex and probably has the same root cause as homosexuality, somewhere hardwired in the brain. Crossdressers are mostly heterosexual, but some are gay. Crossdressers are mostly male, but some are female. And contrary to what is seen in movies, Crossdressers are not serial killers, pedophiles or prostitutes. They are not all looking to have sex reassignment surgery or go on hormones. And like the rest of the GLBT community they have always been around. In some cultures they were, and still are, respected for what is seen as a gift of "two spirits".
The Gay Rights movement took off at the Stonewall riot in New York, and it was the Crossdressers who took the lead on that.
Most of the Crossdressers are still in the closet, it seems that it is much more acceptable to be gay than wear clothes that are gender inappropriate. There are few protections for the CD community and not a lot of support and very little respect. There is a sizeable percentage of men who have worn women's clothing in private and found a it's not wrong and not only a fetish activity. Women wear men's clothing without regard regularly but the fear is so great about crossdressing that a boy wearing a Kilt for a school project was sent home from school.
Crossdressers are found in every age group, occupation, race, religion and income level. They are disregarded and disrespected by just about everyone.
I expect very little support here and even more flame from the conservatives, but just like the rest of GLBT community, we won't go away. It would be nice to be able to come out of the closet a little though.

Karren H
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Awesome post!!

jasmine57
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Sarah- Your coments are not just relevant but right on the money. Good job and thanks.

Lorileah
06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Glad to have you on my side. I posted the same type of thing last month, but maybe directed it more at why Gays don't really accept us (they tolerate us). We have hidden in the shadows too long and we complain that the public does not accept us but what do we (the majority of us) do. We hide in the corners. It was TG's who were the crux of Stonewall here in the US. The Gays and Lesbians took up the cause, we faded into the shadows.

Here's a link to my thread. I hope you get more support

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107875&highlight=are+we+owed

Jamie001
06-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Exactly! The problem is that 99 percent of crossdressers hide in the closet and that is why crossdressers don't make progress as a whole. In my case, I believe in pushing the envelope and exposing society to my feminized male behavior. For example, I always wear a fem hair style with highlights, women's sandals, and red nail polish on my toes. Everyone can see that I am not the typical male and it is apparent that I have a very strong feminine side. I am doing my part to advance the cause of free gender expression. What are you doing to advance the cause?

Glad to have you on my side. I posted the same type of thing last month, but maybe directed it more at why Gays don't really accept us (they tolerate us). We have hidden in the shadows too long and we complain that the public does not accept us but what do we (the majority of us) do. We hide in the corners. It was TG's who were the crux of Stonewall here in the US. The Gays and Lesbians took up the cause, we faded into the shadows.

Here's a link to my thread. I hope you get more support

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107875&highlight=are+we+owed

Miranda-E
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Glad to have you on my side. I posted the same type of thing last month, but maybe directed it more at why Gays don't really accept us (they tolerate us).

While the gays fight the fight, most crossdressers hide. Its not that the gay movement doesn't accept them, its that crossdressers constantly try to separate themselves from the GLBT community while complaining that the GLBT community didn't win every fight for them when any progress is made. The GLBT can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A failed bill is harder to resurect from scratch than it is to fight again to get something added. As gay crossdresser, the marriage equality fight gets most of my effort now. As a crossdresser, don't sit in the shadow saying your not accepted, fight to be accepted. Most give up the fight for acceptance in their own home, never mind trying for something more out in the world.

Melanie R
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Sarah,

Your post to the paper is on target. Perhaps in Salt Lake the TG community including any crossdressers who are out need to get involved in the future with the organizers of the Pride Parade. Have a float for the area TG community in the parade. In Houston our local TG community has been involved with the Pride Parade organization for over 17 years with two of our community leaders in the past elected to the position of Grand Marshall for the parade. The parade is held the fourth Saturday in June and is the largest GLBT Pride Parade in the world held at night. They know what the T means in Houston but that has involved a lot of work by many people over the last 17 years.

PretzelGirl
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Way to go Sarah! Educate those Utahans!

sterling12
06-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Well said Dear!

I'll have to check on what is printed about our event here in Tampa/St. Pete. Although not marching this year, my Group is "personing" a booth. For those who can stop by...we will see you there.

Peace and Love, Joanie

TSchapes
06-09-2009, 06:12 AM
What are you doing to advance the cause?

is become an active member of our LGBT Enterprise Resource Network Group at work. I'm out to a number of people at work, and when ever the subject comes up, I try and explain what we are all about. I'm very fortunate to be in a position at work (AVP) where people understand I'm responsible and considered a "normal guy", or as Eddie Izzard says, "Executive Cross-dresser". LOL

I "manned" a both at the Motor City Pride Festival here in Detroit, and took my son to the event.

-Tracy

Sarah Doepner
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
The majority of the posts on the forum page were "debate" between the gay haters and the defenders, and much of it little more than name calling or disputes over who knows the science better.

There were a few who responded to my note in a positive way, but it was largely ignored. Who woulda thunk it? Ignoring the CD, how could they? I guess the next step will be to find another way to post the information where it will stand alone and see what happens there.

trannie T
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Good work Sarah! It is Pride season and there should be a Pride event coming to a city near you. Participate!