PDA

View Full Version : But is it true? Surely not!!!!

Julie York
07-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Do any Uk girls remember this?

Throughout the 70s, there used to be an annual event in Sheffield (UK) called The Pajama Jump. It was around the time of the Rag Parade (a student thingy for raising money for charity. They do daft stunts, dress up, drink too much etc.)

The Pajama Jump was a HUUUGE party, taking up every night club in Sheffield and spread over about 20 venues. Originally, the idea was for everyone (i.e. mainly students at University) to dress up in night clothes, pajamas, dressing gowns etc. But as the years wore on , the girls mainly wore pajamas and the guys wore lingerie and baby dolls, stockings etc.
The idea was for everyone to dress up, start in a pub or two or three or four and then end up at the "Pajama Jump" a big bash in a nightclub. But it got so big it was then two night clubs to hold everyone. Then 3 then 4 etc.

By the mid eighties , during Pajama Jump night, there were around 10,000 people on the streets of Sheffield, usually very drunk and all dressed in nighties, baby dolls, stockings, basques, and pajamas etc. (That's 5000 cross dressed guys in benders and stockings and baby dolls!)

It was estimated at one point to be the biggest street party in Europe.

But it got so big and people were getting so drunk (in November!) that it was feared eventually someone would die of hyperthermia, or fall under a bus.

So it was eventually cancelled and has never happened since.

Bust that troll baby! :D

Wendy me
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
sounds like you should start a come back party.............Julie York presents the return of the Pajama Jump....

heathr1
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
loads of entries/pages.

Julie York
07-09-2005, 12:49 PM
I thought this would raise more interest. Anyway, if you were wondering it is all true.

There's surprisingly little on the internet about it though.

Wendy me
07-09-2005, 12:50 PM
well restart it up .....

StephanieCD
07-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a perfect name for a GLBT club!

The Pajama Jump - it'd be called PJ's!!! Damn, I'm a genius ;)

Tristen Cox
07-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a perfect name for a GLBT club!

The Pajama Jump - it'd be called PJ's!!! Damn, I'm a genius ;)
Hey that's actually pretty good. :idea:

StephanieCD
07-09-2005, 01:13 PM
You know it! I really like it. Wish I had money. Any would be good.

HEY! My next post is 1k! I better think of something monumental to say... hmmm... think think think.

But, yea, a rainbow club names The Pajama Jump would do nicely - probably work better in the UK because people over there have heard of it - BUT... it could work in a metro environment over here because of the trendy obscurity of it.

Tamara Croft
07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Info about Pyjama Jumps :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2005/03/10/rag_week_feature.shtml

http://www.answers.com/topic/university-of-sheffield

As part of the rag week, University of Sheffield students used to take part in the Pyjama Jump pub crawl, dressed only in their nightwear, in mid-winter. This event was banned in 1997 following the hospitalisation of several students.