PDA

View Full Version : Midsummer's thoughts

anouk
06-21-2009, 12:30 PM
It's Midsummer so the Shakespeare's Midsummer's Dream came to my mind. According to the story Puck throw the magic stuff here and there making the animals and fairies fall in love with anyone.

There's that kind of stuff in reality, too. Oxytocin makes females to seek permanent relationship, care about their babies and makes them trust their partner. For males the juice is vasopressin. It makes men for instance protect their partner.

When males are made to inhale oxytocin, they tend to look at the eye area interpret the feelings based on the facial expressions more than normally. They tend to trust other people much more than normally.

I just wonder, whether it would be nice to try oxytocin inhalations…:daydreaming:

Sarah...
06-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, who knows if that would be nice. But thanks for reminding me of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I love that play and on Father's Day (at least here in the UK) it is apt to remember that production as it was one of the end of year plays that my son's primary school performed. And performed very well too, I should say.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face :)

Sarah...

sissystephanie
06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Might be fun to try! Sarah, I will be visiting friends in Aberdeen in late August. Hope your weather is good then!

:hugs::hugs:

Kim_Bitzflick
06-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I just saw that play here in Greenville, SC. It was great. The only bad part is that I had to go in male mode because I was with my kids.

Carole
06-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Whoo-hoo darker nights are on their way!!!!!!!!!

linnea
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Perhaps we'll know on "Midsummer's Day": June 24. Or maybe it's just as John Dryden wrote,

"What's this, Midsummer moon?
Is all the world gone a-madding?"

Or possibly the effects of Midsummer ale.

Today, in the Pacific Northwest, we think of it as the beginning rather than the middle of summer, but since the days now begin to shorten it makes sense that this would be thought of as the mid-point. In Finland this shortening is probably more noticeable now than it would be in Washington State.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"