PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought

Intertwined
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I am going to mess with your head in this post.:brolleyes:

The last company picnic I went to, I wore a skirt and high heels.

The next day at work, one of my coworkers said to me “You’re not in costume” I quickly corrected them, saying “Yes I am, what you saw me wearing yesterday was the real me, what I am wearing now IS my costume” I could see it in their face, it was like a light bulb came on.

There is a movie quote from Kill Bill that got me thinking about this, here is the quote;

Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kent’s found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

So which are you? Are you Bruce Wayne dressing up as a bat? (no offence Batty) Or, are you Superman dressing up as the regular guy?

Lisa Golightly
06-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Bit of a easy one for me... ;) Always been a Lisa. :)

Shikyo
06-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Bit of a easy one for me... ;) Always been a Lisa. :)

Can only agree to this one. I've always been Kitty too, nyaa. Before it was just a lie to myself, now I know the truth.

Daintre
06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Jenni is the real one here, the "him" alter ego is the role others wanted me to be. He was an act, needed at the time, but not so much anymore.

Kate Simmons
06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Actually I'm an Egon dressing up as a human avatar.:)

StaceyJane
06-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Actually I think you have it a bit backwards. Bruce Wayne is the disguise. Baman is who he has really become. I also think that at times Superman wishes he could be Clark Kent all the time and live a normal life.

TJ Tresa
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I realy don't know how to answer, unless it be both ways. Somedays I feel more feminine than others, some days more like a man. So I would have to say that it would depend on the day and how I feel for that day, either way I am who I am regardless of my clothes.
I do understand the question and it is a good one, however I don't know the answer because I feel like me.

TGMarla
06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, Marla is still the disguise, even though sometimes she's so active inside of me, she's just screaming to get out. There is such a feeling of regret sometimes when I'm putting her away. :straightface:

Really, it's a bit of both.....my male guise is a bit of a disguise, too.

Kiera
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Wonder Woman/ Princess Diana/ Diana Prince! :daydreaming: except perhaps...with a less accomplished costume and makeup department...

TxKimberly
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh great! I haven't slept more than two hours in a row for the last three days and you wanna mess with my mind??!!

Honestly, I haven't figured the answer to that question out my self just yet.

Miranda-E
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
So which are you? Are you Bruce Wayne dressing up as a bat? (no offence Batty) Or, are you Superman dressing up as the regular guy?

As a child i was forced to dress as the regular guy and hide my powers.:devil:

marie354
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I am now and always have been just plain old me.

I guess I'd say that I used to wear a costume to 'fit the mold' of a man.
Now Sandy's out, and much happier. The real me.

Aubrey Green
06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I would like to suggest another option. I did not know about Aubrey until puberty and she has been trying to kick in the door ever since. Much the way Michael J. Fox's character in "Teen Wolf" didn't show himself until he hit puberty. Then it became a driving force in his life. :daydreaming:

Intertwined
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
OK, now that makes me think of another one, David Banner "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" aka the Hulk.

Both are the real him, its just, David usualy does not want to become the Hulk, most people are afraid of the Hulk because of how he looks, and the Hulk has self control issuses.

OK starting to sound like I am talking about myself.

Rachel Morley
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Ha ha ... very clever ... awesome analogy! :) Well, I can't honestly say I'm Bruce as my feminine side is a deep part of the real me, but I'm not fully Clark either as I don't believe that I'm completely female. I think I'm closer to Clark than Bruce, but then again I identify with Lois the most! :D

Marcia Blue
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Is Marcia the costumed role or my male self. Really depends on the day. I do think Marcia is more often than not the costumed role. I do enjoy having a male and female side.

flic
06-23-2009, 04:19 AM
this is a really interesting thread. A lot of the time i feel like day to day me is a fabrication, something i've had to construct to get by. Flic feels like the real me for the most part, so i guess i would have to say that i live most of my life in construct at the moment. Having said that we all need different aspects to our personalities to make us multi dimensional. I guess if people's personalities can be said to be varying percentages of male and female, and kind and unkind, and loving and cruel and so on, then this is what we need to become human, and multi faceted ones at that. Maybe i need all these parts of me to collaborate to create a whole, instead of the dichotomy that seems to plague me for the most part. Maybe if these parts keep colliding then it will eventually reach a resolution. Maybe i need this conflict, and it is who i am, and the conflict is a part of my personality.
All i know, is that without all the parts that make me, i would be in danger of becoming nothing more than an illustration of me, a drawing in a comic book strip.
flicxxx

robyn1114
06-23-2009, 04:25 AM
I most definitely wake up as Robyn and put on my male disguise.

Raychel
06-23-2009, 05:50 AM
I am most comfortable when I am Raychel, So I guess that is the true me.

Tasha McIntyre
06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately, Marla is still the disguise, even though sometimes she's so active inside of me, she's just screaming to get out. There is such a feeling of regret sometimes when I'm putting her away. :straightface:

Really, it's a bit of both.....my male guise is a bit of a disguise, too.

Well said Marla, exactly how I feel about Tash!

Charlotte Sometimes
06-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Charlotte is my costume side just like Batman she is what I can be and sometimes what I need to be, but I do still enjoy and accept my male side. I am delighted to have a masculine and feminine side and there's no need for them to fight I love them both.

MAJESTYK
06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Lately, it's the male side that is the disguise. I feel less like myself when I have to be that. I enjoy being able to be my more macho side but, it doesnt feel like the real me anymore.

vivianann
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
The real me comes out when I am Vivian

Brina Halloween
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I would say "Brina" is the disguise for me. Sometimes literally, since I notice a tendency to want to dress more when I'm unhappy with life. Though things are much better this year than last, I still enjoy the disguise and get these crazy urges to go out...we will see, I think a movie as Brina might be in the near future.

Carole Cross
06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I have always been Carole and have lived most of my life so far in costume, acting like a guy.

DianneRoberts
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I am 100% Dianne :)

Until........
Once in drab I am not,
BUT as soon as I put just one artical of feminine clothing on 100% Diane.

The guy is NEVER 100% guy.
Whenever he watches Television, and a good looking woman is on the TIVO is paused and an eval is made as how she made that look.

So I'd have to say 100% Dianne and 30% guy, and I know that doesn't add up.

Someday it will be better.
There was a knock at the door and I couldn't open it.
I'm wearing my thigh high 5" heel boots, mini denim, see thru top new wig etc.
Couldn't open the door. ( come to find out it was only the mailman with an oversized letter ). Maybe if I had known, MAYBE I should have opened the door.
I guess that means I'm the guy.:sad:

For now..............:battingeyelashes:

Stephanie-L
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Verrryyy Interesting.
As others have posted, sometimes for me it's one way, sometimes another. It seems related to the stress levels in my life. If things are going well for my male side, I seem to be comfortable with him. If things aren't, or there is a time when I can exhibit my female side with ease, I tend to be more comfortable with her. This is not to say I only have urges to dress when under stress, but it is a stress relief mechanism at times. Of course at other times it brings it's own stress. A very interesting and complex question you have posed...........Stephanie

Carly D.
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
BRILLIANT::: Well good question and beyond that.. in a quick witty answer I must say yes.. and the question that the answer is yes to is....

ok I realize this can't go both ways but... I think the question is as I understand it is am I a cross dresser or a guy who dresses fem.. or rather am I Carly when I'm in male mode as well as dressed up... well that's as well as black and white.. but for me it is rather grey.. I hate to think like this.. makes me head hurt.. I have to say that I wear the minimal amount of make up and can't figure out how to say "flush the world, I cross dress".. but.. that's it I guess.. the wheels fell off the thought process...

jessiejess112
06-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Wow, that is a good question and complex too: because (as it has been mentioned before ) the need to crossdress varies during a lifetime.
To be honest I feel more comfortable as a male, walking any way I want, and dressing in loose-fitting clothes.
To me the image I like to portray of a female, is of always wearing sexy clothes, girly constumes and high heels.
But I don't think that is the true representation of who I am all the time.
But then again this might be the case with a GG who only wears sexy clothing on special occasions. And who is to say I wouldn't dress in sexy clothing everyday if given the chance.... so yeah, it's a complex question.... at least for me

battybattybats
06-24-2009, 07:10 AM
I am going to mess with your head in this post.:brolleyes:

Excellent! New lines of thinking and new ideas are always great no matter how disturbing or uncomfortable as they often lead to wisdom :)

There is a movie quote from Kill Bill that got me thinking about this,

Indeed.. as it seems David Carradine was a closet crossdresser, one of our own, I wonder how he felt about that part of the script.

None taken. :hugs:
My connection to bats goes back to early childhood as I used to mimic their noises to call them to my bedroom window. And when 12 we raised an orphaned bat to health and released it back to the wild. And thats just a small part of the connection.

As for the analogy and my gender identity.. well the more I've improved my self-acceptance the more it's become part of my daily life. I feel myself to be bi-gender and genderqueer.. so my daily expression mixes male and female aspects depending on my mood. Though I'm not as often full-femme as I'd like because all the shaving and makeup required to look decent is often difficult with my disability so on bad-symptom days I just take it as far as I can without exacerbating my illness.

So I guess these days I'd be one of the comicbook characters without a secret identity like the Fantastic Four.

Bethany38
06-24-2009, 08:31 AM
This is the most interesting thread I have read in a long time. I have to say that this one really has me thinking. Honestly, I really do not know how to answer this one? I can remember being a child and wishing I could wear all the girls clothes, but I can not say if I wanted to be a girl. I also can remember thinking how much I had to struggle to become an assertive male in my testosterone dominated world. I used too feel so uncomfortable playing that role, and still do. What I can say for sure is Bethany has always been a part of me weather I wanted her to be or not. Even when I had buried her very existance for sooo many years, I know she was still there. And now it seems with writing this I have answered the question for myself, the male side of me is the costume, I guess I did not realize that until just now. I have always had too work at being male, being Bethany does require work, but feels much more natural.:brolleyes: Wow is'nt that one a kicker.

Carly D.
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
This is the most interesting thread I have read in a long time. I have to say that this one really has me thinking. Honestly, I really do not know how to answer this one? I can remember being a child and wishing I could wear all the girls clothes, but I can not say if I wanted to be a girl. I also can remember thinking how much I had to struggle to become an assertive male in my testosterone dominated world. I used too feel so uncomfortable playing that role, and still do. What I can say for sure is Bethany has always been a part of me weather I wanted her to be or not. Even when I had buried her very existance for sooo many years, I know she was still there. And now it seems with writing this I have answered the question for myself, the male side of me is the costume, I guess I did not realize that until just now. I have always had too work at being male, being Bethany does require work, but feels much more natural.:brolleyes: Wow is'nt that one a kicker.

When I was a young boy I thought how old do I have to be to wear the clothes those guys (girls) are wearing.. then later I kept wishing I could wear these clothes.. by the time I got to wear something with nylon in it I was crazed.. actually I never (maybe) wanted to be a girl.. I wanted to try to be a woman when I was in my twenties but didn't pursue it beyond fantasy.. I can only really say I like wearing womens clothes and that I don't think I really care to pass.. I took that "how woman are you" thing in another thread and mine was at 20% and I feel like that is a maybe, I might have clicked an answer because it was close but not entirely what I would answer.. I'm thinking I'm more like five percent girly 95% male but am more or less the opposite when I am in that mood which is less and less everyday..

Evelyn74
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Intertwined,

Great quote. I thought it was great food for thought. I kike when people like your self give people a good reason to do some self introspection. One I like is (do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve.) I look at the quote as do you the superman one. I feel is makes you think about your life and helps put in it to perspective. Hugs
Evelyn

tricia_uktv
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
It depends on the day of the week!

PretzelGirl
06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I thought of touching upon what you started with the Hulk/Bruce Banner addition. But I would like to propose another option. A Batman villian called Two-Face. This person was half of one personality and half of another.

I feel there is a female and a male side with me. When I dress, I don't necessarily feel like I transform as the female side was with me before I dressed. But instead, I am catering to that side and I guess in a way letting it be dominant. The male side doesn't completely disappear. Likewise when I am not dressed. The male side has the show, but the female side still shows through some.

sissystephanie
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I AM ME!! No matter what I am wearing, I am still me! I may look like a guy wearing a drab suit, or I may look like a guy wearing a pretty skirt and blouse. But whichever I am wearing, I am still me!

TXKimberly, look at it that way and then go take a long nap!!

When you are as old as I am, its hard to mess with my mind. Especially since there isn't much there!!:heehee: