PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gone out as a "Guy in a dress?"

KateSpade83
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Have you ever gone out as a "Guy in a dress?" - That is, dressed up all femme wear except you got no wig and makeup but just your regular guy's face? How was the experience and how did people treat you?

I did just exactly this at a Motel 6! I was having a full blown mental / paranoid episode and thought God would make me a "shape changer" and I'd change into a woman. So I dressed up in a skirt suit but no wig or makeup and then went out to the lobby to get ice and talk the the counter lady. Well, several people saw me but it was like no big deal to them! And no one laughed. Even the counter lady didn't treat me funny! And this wasn't Halloween!

Ever happen to you?

Shikyo
06-22-2009, 09:09 PM
With the way you describe, I'm always going out like that. I don't know how to do makeup yet. My hair's natural and the last time I touched a wig was when I was 6 or 7 and that was also a costume wig(or shiny in different colors etc.). As for any the treatment, is exactly the same.

sissystephanie
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Kate, I have been going out like that ever since my wife died in 2005! She always fixed my wig and did my makeup so I did look "girly!" I'm not good at that so just go out without bothering. Went to the doctor today dressed, and the only one who said anything was his nurse who liked my pink fingernails! Doctor did kind of raise an eyebrow when he walked into the room, but did not say anything. As has been said often, they have seen it all!

The waitresses and waiters in one restaurant I go to often for breakfast or lunch have seen me dressed and in drab. When I go by myself I usually am Stephanie, If one of my kids is with me I in drab male!!:thumbsdn:

Oh, BTW, I don't go out in dresses, just skirts and tight tops with my bra underneath to show off my 40 B's!!:love:

:hugs::hugs:

Intertwined
06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Have you ever gone out as a "Guy in a dress?"

Thats the only way I go out.

Read ths thread about my mosr recent outing.

MY Day ! (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108941)

docrobbysherry
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
U should change the heading of your thread to,
" REALLY brave CDs".

Because judging from the posts above, I think u ALL R!:thumbsup:

Intertwined
06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Sorry docrobbysherry, I personnaly believe it takes more bravery to try and PASS than it takes to do what I do.

Here is why I believe this; When you get read when trying to pass, people feel like they have been lied to, and get angry. When I am out and about in what I call my 50/50, it's obvious I am a guy in a skirt and heels, sure, most people find this strange, but they don't feel they have been lied to.

Shikyo
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Sorry docrobbysherry, I personnaly believe it takes more bravery to try and PASS than it takes to do what I do.

Here is why I believe this; When you get read when trying to pass, people feel like they have been lied to, and get angry. When I am out and about in what I call my 50/50, it's obvious I am a guy in a skirt and heels, sure, most people find this strange, but they don't feel they have been lied to.

It also causes a lot less problems. However, I still think it takes more courage to walk around in feminine clothes while looking totally male than trying to pass(assuming one passes). Trying to pass without actually passing, is what takes the most courage of all, I'd say. When one passes, it doesn't really take courage at all as you can just walk around wherever you want without anyone caring or even suspecting you're not the sex you look like.

Emma England
06-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I have worn a skirt several times as a guy.

No one has laughed or mentioned anything at all.

The reaction is the same as if I wear jeans i.e. non-existant.

I have never believed that guys wearing skirts (or dresses) is wrong. Maybe it is with this attitude, that I can cope with going out in public in such a way.

Besides, I know I will never pass so I guess why bother to even try.
Yet, I still want to wear nice clothes.

Oh, just to remind you, look at my signature below - appropriate right?

Joni Marie Cruz
06-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Honestly, I don't have anywhere near the courage it would take to do that. No way. I respect you for it.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Cary
06-23-2009, 08:06 AM
The few times I gone out dressed, I went dressed as a guy wearing women's clothes. I was wearing women's jeans with a nice top and heels. I've never owned a wig and I don't know how to put on makeup. Kate as I said before, You are fearless and strong! I wish a had just a little of what you have. I'd most likely be dressed everyday. :thumbsup:

Kate Simmons
06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Nope. Not my personal style. I have no problem with anyone who wants to do it, however. My friends are my friends regardless.:)

Intertwined
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
When one passes, it doesn't really take courage at all as you can just walk around wherever you want without anyone caring or even suspecting you're not the sex you look like.

Good point.

DonnaT
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I have done. Last time was in April to the beach in Ocean City, MD.

SandieAE
06-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I have worn my high heels with nylons into shoe stores to try on shoes any have had no reaction from the female SA's. They are quite helpful in pointing out what styles look good and what goes well with what I am wearing. I have worn my sandals that have a 3 inch heel and asked for a footee to allow me to try on other shoes in the store and the SA did not blink an eye. I was in just before Fathers Day and she said that they were having a sale for Fathers Day - buy one get the second pair for half price. I bought 2 nice pairs of dress pumps for less than $24.00!

CharleneT
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Sure, i have. It isn't as much different as you might think. In fact, it is very common for TS to do so. My experiences have been fine, truly nothing happened - positive or negative.

Carly D.
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM

I'm sorry I have to quote you again... this is the way I wish I could be.. I have been tempted to dress up with my favorite leg wear and shoes and maybe my new pink shorts and then put on my T shirt and head to the store... (bra too.. can't forget that although why??).. I think when I was out dressed I wasn't anything more than a "man in a dress" because I wasn't wearing makeup.. I was wearing my wig but more than anything else I feel that I was trying to look more like a guy (me, sort of) with long hair opposite mine (thinning badly).. so I try not to look like me but rather to look like me with long hair.. that made absolutely no sense..

Rachel Morley
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I wear fairly obvious girl's clothes in boy mode but not a skirt or a dress .... not yet anyway. While I do think that what Intertwined does is pretty brave, I agree with Shikyo, trying to pass without actually passing, (especially if you know you don't pass) is what takes the most courage of all. :2c:

Intertwined
06-23-2009, 08:21 PM
(bra too.. can't forget that although why??)..

You know what strikes me as odd about that, I don't normaly wear a bra, and I have good reason to wear one, my breast are about a C cup (hope to be fitted soon) on the rare occation I do wear one, its usually for working out, to keep the twins from bouncing.

sissystephanie
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Intertwined,

I couldn't agree more. When my wife was alive and did my makeup and wig, I did go out and try (usually successfully!) to pass. I thought then that I was really being brave. When I go out now as a guy in a skirt, heels, etc. I am just being me! People see me for who I am, a crossdresser! I don't consider that being brave at all!

Shikyo,

IMHO, it takes a real brave man to dress up, put on makeup and a wig and go out in public pretending to be a female. Without my wife to help I can't do that. So I take the easy route like Intertwined and become a guy in a skirt!

Shikyo
06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Shikyo,

IMHO, it takes a real brave man to dress up, put on makeup and a wig and go out in public pretending to be a female. Without my wife to help I can't do that. So I take the easy route like Intertwined and become a guy in a skirt!

I really can't fathom why you address this towards me, so would mind explaining why you address it to me?

Diane Smith
06-24-2009, 01:19 AM
I have worn my high heels with nylons into shoe stores to try on shoes any have had no reaction from the female SA's. I was in just before Fathers Day and she said that they were having a sale for Fathers Day - buy one get the second pair for half price. I bought 2 nice pairs of dress pumps for less than $24.00!

I just couldn't resist a giggle at the idea of buying high heels for Father's Day. :)

- Diane

Nicole Erin
06-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I was having a full blown mental / paranoid episode and thought God would make me a "shape changer" and I'd change into a woman.
Ever happen to you?

OH yeah it happens to me each day.

grace@4
06-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Thats the only way I go out.

Read ths thread about my mosr recent outing.

MY Day ! (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108941)

l wear pink nail polish every day ....

notquitegirl
06-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Have you ever gone out as a "Guy in a dress?" - That is, dressed up all femme wear except you got no wig and makeup but just your regular guy's face? How was the experience and how did people treat you?
Ever happen to you?

This is the only way I go out, and I have not had anything resembling a bad incident in over fifteen years.

Jazzmine
06-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Kate last weekend I went out in totally femme clothes apart from my shoes which were fairly unisex anyway - underdressed with pantyhose, jeans, cami under nice plain top - I went out with family and no-one even commented about my clothes.
Admittedly I had chosen carefully so not to raise eyebrows.
I had a small amount of natural coloured lipstick on and a low key soft smelling scent. Not even my wife mentioned it.

But a dress or skirt is quite different I agree! I would love to do this as well but have not got the courage to do so.

Every now and then I think ..."stuff it, just put the damn dress on and go about your business". One day I'll do it ... and you girls will be the first to know!!!

Hugs Jazzmine

Emma England
06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
A dress or skirt made out of cotton is the same material as cotton pants.

Today is hot, so I have put on a knee-length denim skirt (made out of the same material as a pair of jeans).

So, there is nothing to be afraid of is there?

I shall still wear my skirt to my job this afternoon.
I have done this several times now, with no reaction at all.

The only fear is inside your own head.

sissystephanie
06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I really can't fathom why you address this towards me, so would mind explaining why you address it to me?

Shikyo, I did not mean to offend you in any way! I was referring to your post #7 on this thread. I believe a man, such as you and I, going out in public wearing women's clothing, but no wig and no makeup is just being himself, a Crossdresser! I don't see that as being brave! Dressing up and wearing makeup and a wig so you can pass as a woman is, to me at least, being very brave!

ChloeB
06-24-2009, 06:04 PM
No, but it's an interesting idea. It will be good to hear of other girls' experiences.

Gabrielle Hermosa
06-24-2009, 06:45 PM
No. I'm not a fan of the guy-in-a-dress look... at least not on me. No problem with anyone else doing so because we all have our own individual styles and interests in crossdressing. :)

I would never step out in public unless fully made up. Sometimes I'll dress around the house without makeup on (only because of time constraints), but no one can see me in my own home except my wife. I never look at my face when I pass by a mirror like that either. I don't want to see my man-face on me when I'm dressed. That is why some of my "headless" photos I've posted here are headless. I will not show my face when dressed unless I've got my face properly painted up. :)

Glad your experience doing so went well for you, Kate. :)

Shikyo
06-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Shikyo, I did not mean to offend you in any way! I was referring to your post #7 on this thread. I believe a man, such as you and I, going out in public wearing women's clothing, but no wig and no makeup is just being himself, a Crossdresser! I don't see that as being brave! Dressing up and wearing makeup and a wig so you can pass as a woman is, to me at least, being very brave!

Don't worry, I wasn't offended in anyway. I just wondered why you directed it towards me.

Seems like there is a small misunderstanding going that is why it seemed to strange to me. I'm not a crossdresser, but a transsexual, so for me being just myself would mean to be a girl. I don't have the need for a wig(never had as I have the natural hair) or any makeup(as I still don't know how to do makeup) to be a girl. Each time I go out(or stay inside, it doesn't matter as it's always the same), I do present as a female. Thus going out as a girl isn't being brave for me, but being just me.

TSchapes
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
but that doesn't mean I won't try it in the future!

Jaclyn NM
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
When I get dressed, I want to look nice and "normal" (whatever that means), so if I am in female attire, I want to look female, at least as best as I can. If society would accept men in female clothing, then that would change everything, except, I would still like to look nice.

KimberlyS
06-25-2009, 11:32 PM
..... this is the way I wish I could be.....

Carly, yes it makes sense. My preference is to just be out as a guy wearing the clothes of my choice. Always presenting my male self and wearing no wig and little to no makeup,

When I am away from home and those I know I do get out when I can as a guy wearing a mix of male and femme clothes. Yes I have had some surprised looks. But heck if I was them I would look surprised also. But once past the surprised look I have not had any issues.

Per my wife when I go out around home and those I know I present a feminine image that is in line with society views. And my feminine image conceals my male identity. I blend decently but I do not pass.

kim
joe in a skirt

Emma England
06-26-2009, 07:56 AM
When I get dressed, I want to look nice and "normal" (whatever that means), so if I am in female attire, I want to look female, at least as best as I can. If society would accept men in female clothing, then that would change everything, except, I would still like to look nice.

Society DOES accept men in female clothing. Try it and see the lack of interest amongst the people who see you.

Intertwined
06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Society DOES accept men in female clothing. Try it and see the lack of interest amongst the people who see you.

The worse ive gotten so far is nasty looks or an occasional " Oh My God "

sissystephanie
06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
The worse ive gotten so far is nasty looks or an occasional " Oh My God "

The only thing I've ever heard or seen is a "Wow, did you see that man!", or else I get a big smile!!:)

Kimmy55
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I guess I have.When I go shopping on the weekends I usually wear bra,36C forms,panties with bun pads,skinny girl jeans and tight tops.No make up,no wig.Doesnt seem to offend anyone that I'm aware of and every once in a while a real woman will smile.Not sure if she approves or is stiffling laughter.Oh well.:battingeyelashes:

vivianann
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
No I have never done that, never will. I love the feminine look, so therefore I do go out wearing a wig and makeup. I dont want to be just a guy in a dress.

freeindress
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Guy in a dress most of the time (when in womens clothing at all), trying to keep a nice androgynous look. Almost never feeling feminine enough to try to pass.

noname
06-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Why shouldn't guys wear a skirt or dress? Women go out as women wearing pants. Equal rights all the way baby! ( Though I don't think that's what women have in mind when they complain about "rights" )

Emma England
06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Why shouldn't guys wear a skirt or dress? Women go out as women wearing pants. Equal rights all the way baby! ( Though I don't think that's what women have in mind when they complain about "rights" )

If you have this attitude, then you will have no problem with being a guy who happens to wear a skirt or dress.

On Friday, I wore a tulip skirt to one of my jobs.
Must have been seen by at least a couple of dozen people.
No reaction at all.

shay lynn
06-27-2009, 04:02 PM
not out in public only around the house.

Glenda
06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I haven't done that since........this afternoon! I often wear cotton skirts and tank tops around the house. I'm planning on going out tonight but I'm not ready for a bath and full make-up yet. I needed a couple of items from the corner store so I grabbed my keys and headed down there to get what i needed. In the store and out in a couple of minutes. I used to always put on make-up and a wig to go to the store when dressed enfemme, but find the more time goes by the less I feel the need to always dress to the nines.

sissystephanie
06-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Kimmy, did you borrow my shorts? I have so many I can't keep track!

wetlook crossdresser
06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes, I do this all the time. I have skin problems and intense hair growth and I have not found a way to overcome these problems. I even have a short but full beard and mustache all the time. The clothes I wear out in public have usually been "plain Jane" stuff. I've had to take a few jibes from some local redneck types over wearing knee socks with my shorts of all things but it was no big deal to me as I have really been enjoying wearing women's clothing. Skirts, dresses, and formal wear are my favourites but I have only been wearing these garments outside when I'm off to go swimming in them at an area water course, or at this special public swimming pool that is open minded enough to let me in during public swims. A few times I have worn a skirt out on the street but these are baby steps and I'm getting braver.
Do confidently what you need to do what satisfies you with comfort. Cheers! :) Chris

Fiona Lindum
06-29-2009, 02:43 AM
I normally go out as a guy in a dress. I have had a few people look and either have that disgusted look or you can almost see their brains working trying to work it out. I have also got into conversations with people who have been supportive of a man dressing and some have even given me advice on what I should wear.

cdbethany
06-29-2009, 07:07 AM
up untill 2 days ago i didnt have a syrup and most makeup(even sensitive skin products) screws with my ultra sensitive skin so ive been out many times just wearing girly clothes(love being a schoolgirl)last wed i went ou for a walk in my l.b.d with stockings and heels i got 2 wolf whistles,3 chourus' of "get your tits out for the lads" and then the police stopped me for being dressed,wanted to know why i was in "ladies"clothes and wouldnt take why not as a answer.fortunatly my records check came back clean andthey let me carry on walking although i did make one officer apoligise cause he called me sir(he said very sorry madame while his partner killed himself laughing.
bethany xxxxx

Annie D
06-29-2009, 07:47 AM
I have gone out dressed in feminine clothing wearing a scarf or feminine type cap for head covering and light make up and had no problems or difficulties with the general public. For about the last 6 months or so, I have gone out trying to completely pass with an age appropriate wig but I have often-times thought of not wearing the wig because of the extremely hot temperatures in north Texas plus when I look in the mirror after putting on my makeup, before donning the wig, I think that I could almost pass as an older woman with a "guy's" haircut. I have hesitated to do so because I vainly think that I look younger wearing a wig and it seems to cover the flaws of my face. Perhaps I should wear a mask or a bag over my head and I would never be recognized.

Jessica Who
06-29-2009, 09:26 AM
It's something that I have considered, but it's really all or nothing for me. I don't even underdress, at least not often. When I dress I prefer it to be 100% of my best effort and that includes wig and makeup, but that's just me. :D

Lisa Golightly
06-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh near the end of my 'CD' days I got quite... mad I suppose... lol. In a way I became a Mansonesque characature daring people to challenge me... Well I was an alcoholic by that point and carrying far too many self-harm wounds to bother covering them. No-one ever said anything to my face... Maybe I looked far too insane to provoke... Probably :) x

PaulaJaneThomas
06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Wear what want you want to wear. I wear jeans almost all the time when presenting as female.

Lainie
06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Couple of weeks ago while visiting The Hague I walked down the Denneweg on a sunny late afternoon in my new little black dress, black pantyhose, stunnining black hematite & crystal necklace, moustache & no make up. Wandered into a local bar, met a member of the first gay couple married in the Netherlands, & was propositioned by a very sweet handsome elderly gay gentleman. No, I'm happily married, but thanks! Later I heard the bar described not as gay, but as a place where older people hang out, and I guess that in facit it was an over-50 crowd. I LOVE NL!

sissystephanie
06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I am going to my Cardiologist today dressed enfemme! Not in a skirt, but wearing a pair of capri pants and a rather tight tank top that shows off my 40 B's and some cleavage. Of course, satin panties underneath!!:)

Tasha McIntyre
06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Thousands of times around the house, but never out into the world. When I go out I have to present myself as best I can, even though I know I am not fooling anyone who throws a second glance my way.

IMHO, those that do the guy in a dress thing are much braver than me. I hide behind the anonymity of make up and a wig.

Tash :)

michelle_j2005
07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I went out in a cute top, skirt, and heels. No makeup or wig. For some reason I stopped by walgreens and the gothic girl behind the counter with blue hair told me she thought heels were uncomfortable. I replied they comfortable and only then did she think I was crazy.

Dekka
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm more "the guy in a skirt" than "the 6'8 girl". I'm always wearing either hose, skirt, shorts, heels or a mix of that. I don't change when someone knock the door. It's fun to see the face of a, let's say, carrier of the word of God or a postman when they see me. Incidentally, when that happen, I'm always wearing a skirt...=)

BTW, I don't go out dressed. I'm to antisocial to go out even in guy mode, and Dekka is worse...=)

Ralph
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
If you're not comfortable answering the door in your girl clothes when there are unwanted visitors (read: Selling aluminum siding or religion), try answering the door totally naked except for a towel in your hand loosely held at a strategic location.

Dekka
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
If you're not comfortable answering the door in your girl clothes when there are unwanted visitors (read: Selling aluminum siding or religion), try answering the door totally naked except for a towel in your hand loosely held at a strategic location.

Je je je je je... don't give me ideas...>=)

Alas, it could be traumatic for the poor soul who see me like that. I could be sentenced to pay psychiatric treatment for that person the rest of my life...=)

KimberlyS
07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
... I have had a few people look and ..... or you can almost see their brains working trying to work it out.

I love that look. I just smile and go about my business. I just hope they do not hurt their brains thinking about it.

I figure if we want acceptance they need to see what we look like. As people in general relate new things, to things they already know about. Since most have nothing to relate us to but drag queens, I figure I am creating something new in many peoples minds.

michelle1980
07-07-2009, 03:45 PM
This thread is my dream.

You can classify me as a guy who likes to wear a nice shirt/sweater, a skirt, and tights/pantyhose and a smart shoe to balance.

My ex and I had a great relationship in this department (nightmare otherwise) and I would dress a lot in her apartment. Once we went to pick up chinese and I didn't change, I waited in the car though. I wanted to get out and go inside so bad. :heehee:

Aside from one fun halloween, I haven't been able to live out my dream since. :sad:

skirt_guy
07-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I love this thread as well. Please keep it going as this is my life. I was in the local corner store last night getting some cigarettes and a coke last night. Short (mid thigh) denim skirt and polo shirt. No comments or second looks. Getting better at it for sure.... Keep the stories coming ladies.

kiniguy
07-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I dress more conservative... shorts and tank and sandals. Occasionally I have gone out in dress. The problem is I do not wear a wig or makeup. The painted toes always get the most look and I get complements on them. Almost like the rest of my outfit was normal. If I do the dress thing, it will usually be in the evening and at a restaurant. I have not had any bad incidents. Just an occasional laugh, usually from teenagers. I will say the dress feels real nice... with the air and free space it provides!

Charona
07-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I made my "debut" last month. I had occasion to make a two-day drive and took a skirt along. Changed into it at a convenient (out of state) rest area. No make-up, no wig, just a "guy in a skirt." First fuel stop, got out of the pickup and no one appeared to notice. Struck up a conversation with another couple of guys fuelling a Harley and another pickup, and the only topic was fuel mileage. Same sort of thing all day, including check-in at the motel that night. At that motel were several guys with bass boats preparing for a fishing contest the next day, and again no comments.

I did the same thing on the return trip. Only comment I got was that evening in the motel, when a couple of (perhaps 8 - 9 years old) boys wandered by. One asked "Is that a man-skirt?" I said yes. "Is that a skirt?" I said yes. "Do you always wear skirts?" I said sometimes. "Why do you wear a skirt?" I told them it was because skirts are comfortable. They wandered off and that was that. All in all, the whole experience was somewhat anti-climactic.

Emma England
07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Most guys do not know how comfortable a skirt really is.

BreenaDion
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
29 yrs ago . half in the wrapper an fealing NO pain I walked around the block about 2 am in a dress man shoes an coat.. no wig ... LOL sicko i was.

have fun with that !

Love Bree:love:

Alie66
07-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I've managed, in the early hours, to go along a local footpath wearing a skirt and heels. I do take a pair of trousers and male shoes in case I need to change back quickly (I'm a chicken I know). I've now plucked up the courage to wear court shoes whilst looking for new shoes (in the out of town shops)and it feels good. Maybe I'll have the courage to try the skirt next time.

Luv Alie

RikkiHauser
07-12-2009, 03:23 AM
I usually never go out in public while dressed (I don't wear makeup at all), although I usually either have stockings and/or panties on under my guy clothes.

The one time I did go outside was at a party in Hollywood. A friend of a friend invited us to her house but said that all guys must wear dresses or skirts. I didn't own any dresses so she let me borrow one of hers. She actually smiled when she saw I was wearing stockings under my pants. I was a little nervous doing that since I went there with my best friend and he had no idea that I CD. I laughed later because he was jealous I was wearing them and he wanted to wear some also. That was the first time I ever dressed up in front of anyone, let alone a large group of people. And I did it as a "guy in a dress." :)

vspowers
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I never owned a wig or makeup until someone at the support group in Cleveland approached me and told me that the owner of the gay bar where the group met didn't like the "halfway" look.

Fred
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I think there is a different attitude there in UK, Emma, or in parts at least. People are more open, no matter they are wearing. But here in United States, there are a lot of communities and places that if someone was to dress in a skirt or a dress, they would be looked at, and maybe possible worse consequences. Also a good chance of being arrested!

Fred
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi CharleneT, Not to change the subject here, but I just came across your name and picture on this topic. I was curious what part of Iowa you live in, as I had lived there also. (Hope I don't get into trouble posting this!)

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks like this is an older thread that was revived, but yeah, I go out as the "guy in a skirt" look much more than I do the full femme look. Even when I go more femme, I usually don't stuff a bra or anything like that, I wear a wig sometimes for the aesthetics of how longer hair works with some outfits, and a touch of makeup but not trying to conceal my true sex.

I think both groups have valid points towards which is braver, personally I think it's just brave period to go out and dress the way you want. I prefer to dress as a male and wear women's clothes while doing it because I don't really feel that I need to present as a female in order to wear feminine clothes. I know some CDs on here wear women's clothes because they want to present themselves as female, so our motivations are very different.

But since there is a significant portion of CDs who only dress as women for the anonymity or safety net of it, I wish more of those folks would be willing to go out as "men in dresses" so that the public could see it in a positive way on a more regular basis.

JulieC
09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I think there is a different attitude there in UK, Emma, or in parts at least. People are more open, no matter they are wearing. But here in United States,... Also a good chance of being arrested!

I don't think this is accurate anymore. It certainly used to be the case, but I doubt there's any place left in the U.S. where a guy can be arrested for wearing a skirt, or etc.

Bernadina
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
My wife is insistent that if I want to go out in a dress that I have to be fully made up with hair and nails etc. Wearing ladies jeans, shirts or sandals in male mode is OK.

JulieC
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I've just read through this thread and a big question comes to my mind.

On the one hand, there are 74 replies here most of which support the man-in-a-frock idea. On the other hand there are just as many replies on other threads deploring the "hairy men in dresses" on the Jerry Springer Show.

Can somebody explain? (PS: I've never seen the JSS.)

Everybody has a different view.

There are people who find women who do not shave their legs to be repulsive. Others find them attractive. Each to their own.

Because of social programming, most people are going to find a hairy man in a dress to be repulsive. So long as they don't act against a person dressed this way, so be it.

Me personally; I'd LOVE to have the freedom to dress in whatever way I want, whenever I want. In my own tastes, I don't find hair attractive with femme clothing. I think it looks terrible underneath pantyhose for example. To me, being femme is in part about being smooth. So, if I were to routinely wear dresses or skirts, I'd never have hair on my legs.

suchacutie
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
But...I got to work one day and was typing away when I realized that the only definite male piece of clothing I had on were my socks!!!! I had on a woman's turtleneck shirt, pullover sweater from VS, low-rise jeans from VS, undies from VS, and loafers! The socks were clearly male.

I went into the bathroom and looked at myself, smiled, and went back to work.

tina

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
On the one hand, there are 74 replies here most of which support the man-in-a-frock idea. On the other hand there are just as many replies on other threads deploring the "hairy men in dresses" on the Jerry Springer Show.

Can somebody explain? (PS: I've never seen the JSS.)

Well for one thing, as others have said, it's all personal preference, however, the JSS is designed specifically to be a parade of "freaks and weirdos" so when there's an episode that features "hairy men in dresses" it's most likely that this is someone who has been dressed by the show's producers to present the funniest, oddest look, as opposed to someone who takes the time to present a positive, well put together image of a man wearing traditionally female clothes.

I for example often struggle with even something as seemingly small as shoes, as in what shoes go best with a male skirted outfit. I just joked about this last night in my act about how I recently realized that if I'm a guy wearing a skirt and someone looks at me and says "wow, he shouldn't have gone with those shoes," then I win.

For what it's worth on the "hairy" part, I shave my legs regardless of if I'm dressing not, I think hairy legs even under men's shorts looks dirty and lazy. I slack on it during the winter sometimes and if I do have some growth and want to wear a skirt I wear opaque tights.

Jeanna
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Well, all of you are very brave indeed. The closest I've ever done is come out of the change room with a dress on, no make up or wig so that the SA good give me advice.

BTW she was very helpful despite we freaked out another gg customer.

Jeanna

ashcrimson
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Like some here, I am just like that everyday. I dont wear makeup at all, I dont know how to for one. And I never wore a wig before, now my hair is somewhat long and I have no plans of cutting it til it reaches my butt.

As for the feeling, I feel more worried about my boss telling me I cant wear what Im wearing than what the people who see me actually think.

This is actually very odd but for years that Ive dressed as a guy no one has ever said anything nice about my clothes but ever since I switched to womens, women actually give me compliments, more like they like what Im wearing though not that it looks ok on me I guess.

RobynP
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
There seems to be three or maybe four distinct groups here:

Men who like wearing a dress or a skirt but make no attempt at passing because no makeup or wig is used. They are clearly men not wearing men's clothes.
Men who try to look and act as much like a woman as possible (i.e. pass) depending on their ability and effort.
There are men who blend their clothing and appearance to be androgynous or very close to it.
There are probably some men who vary their appearance based on where they are and what they are doing. Wig and makeup may be forsaken while around the house but the appearance is totally en femme outside of the house.

I think these distinctions are important as they link to our motivations. My wife (now ex) once asked me why I HAD to wear breast forms, wig, and makeup. How come I could not be satisfied as a "man in a dress"? For me personally, I need to present myself totally as a woman. Of course, other people may see me as a "man in a dress"... but I do not see myself like that.

Robyn P.

(Katie, you are missing a real treat if you have never watched JSS! :D)

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
There seems to be three or maybe four distinct groups here:

Men who like wearing a dress or a skirt but make no attempt at passing because no makeup or wig is used. They are clearly men not wearing men's clothes.

I guess this almost applies to me though sometimes I do wear a wig and a bit of makeup. I don't really care about looking like a woman or looking androgynous though, just looking as best as I can in Women's clothes. (Or any clothes, for that matter.)

I believe that looking good as a man in women's clothes isn't always the same as looking like a woman, at least not in my case. I've been doing the full femme look a bit lately because I'm working on an article about it for a magazine, but my own personal style is a bit more mixed.

Lainie
09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm not passable at all, and only a part-time girl. I wear a prominent mustache in drab, and can't take it off just for a day. Nonetheless I've often gone out shopping and dining en femme. I try to be ladylike, not flouncy. People almost always take no notice or are nice. :)

Lately I've been looking at TGs on Flickr, and there are some really impressive girls out there--just beautiful! There are also some broad-shouldered men in dresses & wigs, and I just don't care for that at all. And yet I force my own man-at-a-glance appearance on casual passersby who haven't done anything to deserve gender confusion. :doh:

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Lately I've been looking at TGs on Flickr, and there are some really impressive girls out there--just beautiful! There are also some broad-shouldered men in dresses & wigs, and I just don't care for that at all. And yet I force my own man-at-a-glance appearance on casual passersby who haven't done anything to deserve gender confusion. :doh:

This sentiment here is why I actually sometimes hate the concept of passing. I hate this idea that the only people who should crossdress are the people who naturally have the body type to look like beautiful women.

It's why I stopped trying to pass personally, I figure people are never going to look at me and not know that I'm a crossdressing man, so why do the stuff I don't like in order to try to fool them, when I can just wear the stuff I like and try to look my best regardless?

BecomingMichelle
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Done it several times. It's risky but a big thrill. I have had my nails done and gone shopping. It really is the way it should be. We should be able to wear what we want.

Michelle-Leigh
09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I am limited at this time by this moustache I am wearing; my wife prefers it to clean shaven. I will be removing it next month, and plan to occasionally be without it so I can fix myself up to the max. On my first time out in daylight in a dress sans wig or makeup, I stepped out of the car at a busy gas station and topped off its tank - a thrill rivaling that of a wild rollercoaster ! Not a single person even gave me a strange look, as though I were just wearing my male clothes. Since acquiring my first wig, I just drive around in it and dresses witout makeup. Last week, I became very thirsty while dressed and en route from a skating rink, and got a very diabolical thought - why not prank the employees at the next fast-food place ? A Taco Bell turned up, and I went through its drive-thru to get a Pepsi. When the staff looked out the window and saw me, they began smiling, so I said in a distinctly male voice "What's the matter - haven't you ever seen a woman with a moustache before ?". We all had a really good laugh, and I was on my way again. I can't wait to doll up completely and go shopping, though, as I do feel rather silly and comical sporting a moustache while wearing my wig and girl clothes. BTW, I have taken to skating in all girl clothes (shirt and pants) that look almost like male clothes on many sessions, and nobody notices in the least !

Michelle-Leigh

lauraabdl
09-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I have recently been experimenting and going out to thrift stores with my girl shorts and 2" or 3" wedges and my high heels to shop and I have not had any problems, looks or comments. So today I am going to my usaul thrift store in a skirt and my new wedge sandles that I got at Payless Shoes,( found one that carries 12W and 13W styles - what a selection and the sales people were wonderful and encourged me to come back with my purchases on and see if any thing else might go with my outfits.) Well I guess I can up date youall when I return this afternoon.
Love
Laura Lee

KateW
09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
All I have to say is that you are all my heroes and an inspiration to me!

sherri52
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I've gone bowling on a bowling league in a dress but it was a lost bet ( I loved every minute)

Fred
09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I have the same thing, with having a moustache, Laini. But then, I have never gone out dressed as a girl in public. So I guess this doesn't matter. But I would like to be accepted as being a girl, which is on the inside of this body, and under that moustache. It is the feelings, not the appearance. But that is only perhaps, me!!

michelle1980
09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Been working from home the last few days and been dressing as much as possible. I've lost a bunch of weight since jun and now I'm back into my old skirts again! WOOHOO!

Only problem now is that all my shirts are big on me, time to go shopping.

JulieC
09-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Been working from home the last few days and been dressing as much as possible. I've lost a bunch of weight since jun and now I'm back into my old skirts again! WOOHOO!

Only problem now is that all my shirts are big on me, time to go shopping.

Oh darn! :D

(congrats on losing the weight!!!)

marie354
09-16-2009, 10:35 AM
First of all, I've always been me. No matter how I'm dressed.
Of course, now I'm living as a woman full time and have done so for 2-years now.
Sometimes, when I go out, I don't use much makeup... Just lipstick and eye-shadow. And sometimes I don't do much with my hair either. Just pin it up in a clip.
I have been accepted, almost everywhere I go. If asked, I do tell people that I'm TG and most accept that, some are awed, some have even asked me out on a date. I don't date.

So, basically, what I'm saying is... Trust in your instincts. If you're comfortable without the wig and makeup, then do it that way. Maybe not every day, but everyone has a 'bad hair' day once in a while, and maybe, because you are so young, you can pull it off well. Just remember to use your 'girl voice' and smile. That's always helped me.
~~S~~

Neith.goddess
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
not really...but as a guy i used to wear skirts over my pants...half dressed kinda...with a bow in my hair...

Katie Anne
09-29-2009, 12:16 PM
About a year ago my wife and were in the Super K-Mart near our home. I was ln drab and by me walked a flawlessly made up and coiffured cross dresser. He was wearing a dress that was a little frilly, but it was right as work let out at the nearby offices. His pumps matched his bag. His well shaved legs looked nice in suntan hose. He wasn't particularly tall even in 3 inch heels. And everybody in the store knew he was a man, immediately! Why? Because women don't wear dresses to shop there. I have been in the place 100 times and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of women, I have seen there in dresses. Skirts are rarely worn by women patrons and almost never with heels and stockings. Female customers almost ubiquitously wear jeans and a t-shirts. Older women wear a bit fancier tops in the Fall and Winter. Had this chap been wearing jeans, flats, a sweat shirt, and bit less makeup he probably would have passed for a woman. Of course, he would have then been dressed in what one would conventionally consider men's clothes.

It occurred to me that most places in Southern New Jersey would be similar. Since, women seldom wear skirts that aren't made of denim or gauze and generally very short or very long, I realized that if I wear a mid calve length skirt, most people will recognize that I have male plumbing. Since I love wearing skirts with hose and high heels, most people will know that I was born male. So, I wear my skirts, tights, and heels, an androgynous top and bit of makeup and my own long hair.

I do wonder when a young girl will ask her mother, "mommy what is that guy wearing?"

Now, I wear skirts most of the time in non-working hours. I have had generally very pleasant encounters, particularly with women. Frequently women tell me I look so nice they may pull one of their own skirts out of moth balls. They are less enthusiastic about stockings, though. I have received some very occasional and isolated flack from older (over 60) and younger (under 16) males. It certainly is not enough to make me want to wear pants. It has reached the point were in my area mainly men wear something other than demin mini-skirts with bare legs. I have seen several men wearing skirts lately. I have come to wonder what it must be like to be a "woman in a skirt".

Some have expressed worries about encounters the police. As long as your skirt covers your bottom, what charges are they going to bring? You aren't attempting to pass as a woman; women wear jeans and flats.

Cheers,

Katie Anne