PDA

View Full Version : The successor to the metrosexual has finally arrived-->> The Mirl!

Val Tan
07-08-2005, 07:32 PM
my local papers had this article today... a bit of google and i found an online version...

Enter the mirl

The successor to the metrosexual has finally arrived. He's a more advanced version in love with the colour pink and pedicures. Delhi Times introduces the male girl -- the mirl

Metrosexuality's passe, it's been replaced by -- no, not the return of machismo -- but by an advanced form of metrosexuality. Now, it's all about the ultra-feminine look or male girls, better known as 'hermaphrodudes' or 'mirls'. The mirl -- a hybrid man -- is not afraid of embracing his feminine side; he has a fetish for pedicures, shopping, bags, jewellery and even the colour pink.

Delhi Times on the DNA of the mirl...

Looking good = Feeling great

Most men aren't too happy being pigeon-holed with terms like 'mirl' or 'metrosexual' but adman Suhel Seth isn't. "I'm a huge shopper, I love going for facials, pedicures and manicures," he says. "I love going to the spa and pampering myself. If that makes me a mirl, I am and always have been that. I'm careful about the way I look and I'm very proud of that." Model Upen Patel likes to take care of himself. "I go in for the whole grooming routine: body-waxing, facials, pedicures. I'm only trying to look good."

As straight as it gets

Make no mistake, the mirl isn't necessarily drawn to other men sexually. According to Mark Simpson, who coined the term 'metrosexual', "He (the metrosexual/mirl) might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but that is immaterial because he has taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." Elaborates VJ Gaurav Kapoor: "Metro yet hetero is my mantra. I'm in sync with my feminine side, I grow my hair and have a cool collection of headbands. This doesn't alter the way I am." Designer Ashish Soni is a mirl and he loves it. "I love the colour pink and I love shopping as a stress-buster. But that doesn't make me fond of men. I'm a straight man who takes care to look good; why should that privilege only rest with women?"

Gender bender

With gender stereotypes breaking down, society is a lot more accepting of role reversals. 'Says actor Parvin Dabas. "If women can be in charge at the workplace, men can go to salons. You don't have to be overtly macho to prove you're a man."

Woman's kinda man

Do women find mirls hotter than macho men? Apparently, the answer is yes. "I like my men to be in touch with their feminine side. Here's to more power for more sensitive men," says Ramona, VJ.

The 'mirl phenomenon' has doomsayers predicting the end of the male species, and there's tom-tomming about 'mantropy', a unique 21st century disease that will make 'real' men extinct. So, will the mirl inherit the earth?

crispy
07-08-2005, 10:49 PM
hey, if we go on like this there won't be any thrill left. Everybody will be doing it. :(

Then I'll have to go and find a new game of dare to play. ;)

Chrissycd
07-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Thank you for posting it! I went out en femme last night w/ two gg friends, and I was barely out of the car and I was already receiving my first insult from a drunk w/ her boyfriend in tow, so this was refreshing, and made me laugh.
Crispy, honey sharky, don't run from it, embrace it. You have such a huge headstart on these silly "mirls" that you have to be a true shark, and open a consulting biz for wannabe "mirls"!!! They'd pay loads of dough for advice and pointers.
Eat 'em up!!!
:)
Chrissy

emmicd
07-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Interesting article! I wouldn't categorize myself this way though. I prefer married heterosexual crossdresser!

I enjoy expressing my femme side and dressing up and I am a good husband and father!

Emmi

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-09-2005, 01:46 AM
WHY. I have just started doing this and it gets popularized.

This irritates me.

And I refuse to be referred to as "mirl".

Realize, though, we can thank extreme popularization of anime for this.

Keep it on. The. Down. Low.

crispy
07-09-2005, 02:27 AM
WHY. I have just started doing this and it gets popularized.

This irritates me.

And I refuse to be referred to as "mirl".

Realize, though, we can thank extreme popularization of anime for this.

Keep it on. The. Down. Low.
of course this raises the inevitable question - is Ibuki a real human being who crossdresses or is she just an anime figment of somebody's imagination ? :rolleyes:

Imogen_Mann
07-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Strikes me that "Mirl" is just another label. Everyone seems so hung up on labelling themselves. Why not have a tatoo on your forearm and a cloth badge pinned to your coat.

No labels here, I describe myself as "jayme" and thats me.

XX

Jayme

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-09-2005, 04:37 AM
of course this raises the inevitable question - is Ibuki a real human being who crossdresses or is she just an anime figment of somebody's imagination ? :rolleyes:
I'll tell you one thing. I'm not a she. *beatsdrum*

crispy
07-09-2005, 04:39 AM
I'll tell you one thing. I'm not a she. *beatsdrum*
we are all who we are.

as long as you are sure ................................. ;)

Tristen Cox
07-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Hmmmm....

Mistress Frillee
07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
The successor to the metrosexual has finally arrived. He's a more advanced version in love with the colour pink and pedicures. -- the mirl :eek:

Metrosexuality's passe, it's been replaced by -- no, not the return of machismo -- but by an advanced form of metrosexuality. Now, it's all about the ultra-feminine look or male girls, better known as 'hermaphrodudes' or 'mirls'. The mirl -- a hybrid man -- is not afraid of embracing his feminine side; he has a fetish for pedicures, shopping, bags, jewellery and even the colour pink.

Looking good = Feeling great

Most men aren't too happy being pigeon-holed with terms like 'mirl' or 'metrosexual' but adman Suhel Seth isn't. "I'm a huge shopper, I love going for facials, pedicures and manicures," he says. "I love going to the spa and pampering myself. If that makes me a mirl, I am and always have been that. I'm careful about the way I look and I'm very proud of that." Model Upen Patel likes to take care of himself. "I go in for the whole grooming routine: body-waxing, facials, pedicures. I'm only trying to look good."

As straight as it gets

Make no mistake, the mirl isn't necessarily drawn to other men sexually. According to Mark Simpson, who coined the term 'metrosexual', "He (the metrosexual/mirl) might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but that is immaterial because he has taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." Elaborates VJ Gaurav Kapoor: "Metro yet hetero is my mantra. I'm in sync with my feminine side, I grow my hair and have a cool collection of headbands. This doesn't alter the way I am." Designer Ashish Soni is a mirl and he loves it. "I love the colour pink and I love shopping as a stress-buster. But that doesn't make me fond of men. I'm a straight man who takes care to look good; why should that privilege only rest with women?"

Gender bender

With gender stereotypes breaking down, society is a lot more accepting of role reversals. 'Says actor Parvin Dabas. "If women can be in charge at the workplace, men can go to salons. You don't have to be overtly macho to prove you're a man."

Woman's kinda man

Do women find mirls hotter than macho men? Apparently, the answer is yes. "I like my men to be in touch with their feminine side. Here's to more power for more sensitive men," says Ramona, VJ.

The 'mirl phenomenon' has doomsayers predicting the end of the male species, and there's tom-tomming about 'mantropy', a unique 21st century disease that will make 'real' men extinct. So, will the mirl inherit the earth?

Natalie x
07-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe I'm missing summat here, but I can't see any mention of wearing women's clothes in the article. Am I just being my usual blonde self?

:confused:

Tristen Cox
07-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Maybe I'm missing summat here, but I can't see any mention of wearing women's clothes in the article. Am I just being my usual blonde self?

:confused:

It's about male embracement of the female side:

Now, it's all about the ultra-feminine look or male girls, better known as 'hermaphrodudes' or 'mirls'. The mirl -- a hybrid man -- is not afraid of embracing his feminine side; he has a fetish for pedicures, shopping, bags, jewellery and even the colour pink.

Julie
07-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Meet the mirls — Metrosexuals gone ultra-feminine

First, there was the sensitive new age guy who would notice your new earrings, share cooking tips with you and lend you his shoulder to cry on. Then came along the metrosexual who would have you notice his new earrings, share skincare tips with you and lend you his Giorgio Armani hanky to cry into.

Now, according to a recent Australian news report, the metrosexual has a new breed of well-dressed, fashion-savvy, sensitive and "ultra-feminine" men to contend with. Sounds like a male friend of yours? Then learn these terms — hybrid men, mirls and hermaphrodudes — because they could become common terms in mainstream vocabulary.

Of the three terms, "mirl" appeals to me most because hybrids remind me of orchids and hermaphrodudes sound like the dual-sex characters in Hong Kong director Tsui Hark's sword fighting movies. So, who makes a mirl?

Mirls have no qualms about working in a lingerie boutique (and not for the seedy reasons you are thinking of) and spending the bulk of their salaries on jewelry, skincare and clothes.

The major difference between the metrosexual and the mirl is the latter's ultra-femininity — it makes you ponder "is he or is he not straight?"

Why, mirls won't even baulk at wearing pink shawls but that's about as pink as they will get. Don't mistake them for contributing to the pink-dollar economy because mirls like and woo the opposite sex.

After the metrosexual, this further-modified male variant should come as even better news to the fashion and beauty industry that has been courting the male dollar aggressively of late.

While the metrosexual may splurge on an understated platinum ring, the mirl prefers things a little more RuPaul-esque and would go for a diamond solitaire pinkie ring instead.

The metrosexual may pamper himself with expensive designer fragrances but the mirl takes things a little further — if a woman's fragrance appeals to him, he'll get it.

Metrosexuals buy men's skincare products faithfully but mirls may also snap up men's make-up. This means retailers and marketers have a whole new world to tap into should they want to target this group of fashion-savvy spenders.

The emergence of the mirl may also be good news for women.

He understands that the color fuchsia does wonders for your complexion (and his, too, so be prepared to share that new fuchsia fitted shirt), thinks that diamonds are a girl and a mirl's best friends, trades tips on the best nude-colored lip gloss and reminds you of your best gay friend with his catty jokes and his flamboyant moves on the dance floor. .

And the best thing is … the mirl wants to date you, too.

That last statement tells me the article was written for women. And the comment "reminds you of your best gay friend" looks to me as if to say, "You'll no longer have to say that you wished he wasn't gay because there are now mirls in the world". Maybe this mirl image will become the best of both worlds for men and women alike.

And don't worry about the articles not mentioning mirls wearing woman's clothes (although this one did mention a pink shawl), if this takes off, in time that will change. Maybe something like womenswear for men.

I wonder if this will mean we'd see less crossdressing in men because dressing feminine would no longer be taboo. :think:

Julie
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
HamptonRoads.com had this article (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87974&ran=196409) and links to others about the mirl and it looks like sides are already being taken up. They don't like mirls!

Clare
07-10-2005, 03:28 AM
These two articles offer hope for me. This is exactly where the 'man' in me has been heading for the last few years.

Oh how i wish the 'Mirl' phenominum would become mainstream in society - like right now!

There is hope yet and society's fabric around 'effeminate' men is slowly but surely being torn apart. I can't stand waiting for the future to arrive!

Christine

obsessedwithpantyhose
07-10-2005, 11:10 AM
even the words "male" and "female" r labels........

arnt we all HUMANBEANINGS?????????????????????????????

Mistress Frillee
07-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Are you a mirl?

Men have come a long way, baby.

First, there was the cavemen, which wasn't so bad except you didn't have beer, professional wrestling or recliners.

Then there was modern man, a golden era of manly man domination that peaked with the invention of the TV remote.

In the Eighties, man's place in the world started to slip a bit with the emergence of sensitive guy and things looked downright disturbing when metrosexuals - straight guys who actually liked shopping for clothes - arrived on the scene a few years ago.

But that was nothing compared to the latest evolution of manliness, the mirl, also known as male girl, hybrid or hermaphrodude.

This new bred or straight male carries a manbag, wears feminine jewelry, spends lots of money on fashionable clothes and is willing to work in women's fashion and lingerie shops, according to fashion industry insiders.

Lest you jump to the wrong conclusion, these guys are also committed to pursuing the opposite sex, just like caveman.

But where metrosexuals drew the line at pink, silk t-shirts and liberal amounts of mousse and moisturizer, hermaphrodudes take it a bunch of steps too far, wearing pink scarves, wood and bead necklaces, bracelets, leather chokers and wrist straps.

Female fashion chain Sportsgirl recently released a line of "boy jewelry" specifically for mirls and young men are actually buying the stuff.

"Girls would buy them for their boyfriends or a guy might come in with his girlfriend and see them and take an interest," Sportsgirl spokeswoman Prue Murphy said. "Guys are definitely taking much more care in the way they look and it's not considered bad to be wearing bracelets."

Val Tan
07-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Last edited by Tristen Cox : 07-09-2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Link removed due to spyware attachments
what the.... to think the website of a newspaper would contain spyware?? weird... but i didn't encounter any... maybe cos i have opera...