PDA

View Full Version : Symbol Poll

Rachel Ann
07-09-2005, 11:04 PM
OK Ladies, here we go!

I didn't realize that I was limited to 10 choices, so Marji (Little Finger Wave), Ibuki (Mercury), Lady Jayne (Chromosomes) and ashleybear1032 (Greek Letters) will have to check "Something else" and post their idea in this thread.

Note that you can make as many choices as you like, selecting all those that you will be happy with. It's a private poll (nobody can see how you voted).

If you check one of the "I don't care" choices and anything else, it won't make sense but it will be so counted anyway.

See "symbols" http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162303#post162303 for illustrations.

This poll will stay open for 10 days. After that we can talk about how the symbol might be worn.

Love

Rachel

Sweet Jeanette
07-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I am so happy that our poll has started! :D ---I hope EVERYBODY votes on it! I have. I await the results!! :)

Paula Rae
07-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey Ladies,

This is really exiting, they are all great symbols, and let the best Ladybug win.

The thread was outstanding and I enjoyed all of your posts, it's kind of a shame to see it end.

Ricki B

liz lesbow
07-10-2005, 01:35 AM
yin yang with a twist is so cool . I will start it right now. life is just that.

do it just do it. I will follow right away. it just so right

liz

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Hey Ladies,

This is really exiting, they are all great symbols, and let the best Ladybug win.

The thread was outstanding and I enjoyed all of your posts, it's kind of a shame to see it end.

Ricki B
It's far from over! People can still add new ideas under the "something else" option.

Come on, Ladybug! :D

Rachel

Melissa A.
07-10-2005, 02:31 AM
I chose the triangle with modified M/F symbols because it is closest to the best known transgender symbol, which I like. (male and female symbols coming off of a shared circle, with a third symbol, an arrow with a horizontal line through it), but I think the ladybug is cute, too.

I have been trying to find a small metal transgender symbol that I can hang on a necklace, but all they seem to sell online are magnets, stickers and keychains. Anyone know how to make jewelry?

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
I chose the triangle with modified M/F symbols because it is closest to the best known transgender symbol, which I like. (male and female symbols coming off of a shared circle, with a third symbol, an arrow with a horizontal line through it), but I think the ladybug is cute, too.
I like the ladybug because it isn't well known. I'm just not in a position to wear something that's too recognizable in everyday life right now. But, we all have our own preferences and personal situations. Hence, this poll.

Anyone know how to make jewelry?
That's the next poll!

huggles

Rachel

Sweet Jeanette
07-10-2005, 02:47 AM

I have been trying to find a small metal transgender symbol that I can hang on a necklace, but all they seem to sell online are magnets, stickers and keychains. Anyone know how to make jewelry?

Hugs,

I used to do silversmithing work when I lived in New Mexico 28 years ago, and became quite good at it, but I have lost the steadyness of the hands, and my vision has gotten bad since then. ---Maybe there is a CD who does silver smith work for a living, or a hobby, and belongs to this board!---If they might speak up,----They might be of help! :)

Melissa A.
07-10-2005, 02:50 AM
LOL Rachel! Hope we can find someone to make something like that. You do make a good point. The little handcuffs I have on my necklace (for another post!!) are a good conversation starter but really require no explanation. I could probably better explain a ladybug than the transgender symbol, if asked what it meant!

Hugs,

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 03:01 AM
The little handcuffs I have on my necklace (for another post!!) are a good conversation starter but really require no explanation.
Are you a cop or a dominatrix? :p

The original thread http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162304#post162304 included much discussion of how to wear the symbol (ring, pin, etc.), so I thought that we could begin by settling on a symbol and then have another poll about the details.

Hugs

Rachel :)

Melissa A.
07-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Neither, guess again. :p

Cool, will await results.

Hugs,

Maddie Knight
07-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Butterfly, they change from drab caterpillar's into beautiful butterfly's, a bit like us. :)

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 05:08 AM

Julie York
07-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Just found this thread.

I put "something else".

How about this. It is not obvious and can be explained with any conotation of "Universe" etc if someone asks.

The Ying Yang Symbol with a circle round it. In One segment have the arrow. In the other segment have the cross +. The circle, cross and arrow are all the elements of the TG symbols. The Ying Yang bit joins female and male into one whole.

It would make a good belt, badge, earrings etc etc.

Wendy me
07-10-2005, 06:31 AM
i went with the seahorse i like the water............a ring??? neckless.....

Clare
07-10-2005, 06:44 AM
In the previous thread where Jayne posted some design options, i quite like the bottom right design, the one with two XX's and a Y joining at the bottom, and a small circle on top. Very compact and simple design which relects our chromosome mix.

Otherwise, the seahorse got my vote.

Christine.

Priscilla1018
07-10-2005, 10:12 AM
I went for the butterfly.I already have one,it's a birth mark on my right thigh.

Tiffy
07-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Being I have 17 fish tanks at home I almost picked the Seahorse. But, I picked the butterfly as it starts out as a catapillar and transforms in to something beautiful.

Kisses, April

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 03:24 PM
My, we have a real horse race here! :)

Not sure I could wear a butterfly in boy mode, it's a very feminine thing.

Oh, forgot to 'fess up before - I voted for seahorse and ladybug.

rachellegsep
07-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Here is the logo done for TGSAfrica by Zana International attached

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-10-2005, 06:04 PM
How about we just wear detachable garters for bracelets? :D?

I did that yesterday >.>

Natalie x
07-10-2005, 06:21 PM
If we go for the butterfly, we could always wear a catterpilla when in drab.

caterpilla - caterpila - catapiller - catapiler - oh, you know!

:D

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Butterflies are very popular as far as tattoos(amongst other things) on GGs here. I would rather something more original, and perhaps not as noticable if you know what I mean.
ummmm Tristen, how is your triangle not noticeable?

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Natalie x
07-10-2005, 06:40 PM
If we go for the butterfly, we could always wear a catterpiller when in drab.

caterpilla - caterpila - catapiller - catapiler - oh, you know!

:D

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Umm anyone going to do anything with this poll besides talk about it?
Please see http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=162366&postcount=10. No matter what wins, there will be some who won't wear it. One thing at a time - and there are 9 days left. :)

I think that 64 voters in 20 hours is a pretty good turnout. :D

Anyone manufacturing the item when the final decission is made?
We'll blow up that bridge when we come to it.

HOW ARE ANY OF THESE SYMBOLS UNNOTICEABLE IF YOU WEAR THEM?

I would rather something more original, and perhaps not as noticeable if you know what I mean.
"not as noticeable" was your phrase, hon. But I agree with with the concept. All I need is a credible alternate explanation for people who don't know about Rachel.

Wendy me
07-10-2005, 06:48 PM
rachel i like a seahorse on a gold chain ...simple cute...and just a touch dif......

Priscilla1018
07-10-2005, 07:19 PM
It would have to be gold,and we could create The Order Of The Golden Seahorse,and tell everyone who asks that it is a very old fraternal order. :idea:

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 07:20 PM

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 07:22 PM
rachel i like a seahorse on a gold chain ...simple cute...and just a touch dif......
I like the seahorse, too. It's running a distant fourth at the moment, so you will have to go out and drum up some support for it if you want it to do better.

There seem to be some seahorse legends that offer alternate explanations, but they are a little hard to find.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/H/Hi/Hippocampus.htm
http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Murals.html
http://www.dentzeldesigns.com/Sculpture/hippo.html
http://www.catshaman.com/09handman/0cadmus.htm
http://groups.msn.com/DruidsPath/yourwebpage10.msnw

Good luck

StephanieCD
07-10-2005, 07:26 PM
This is actually the basis for the website I want to build... the symbol thing. I just haven't had the time.

This is my idea.

A perfect circle mobius strip. A mobius strip is a one-sided strip - like, if you take a strip of paper, put a half twist in it, and then join the two ends together forming a loop. Kinda like this: http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/mobius.gif

A mobius strip symbolizes two sides becoming one - if you trace a line from any point on the strip you will eventually come back to where you started - having been to the other side and back.

A three twist mobius is the symbol for recycling:
http://www2.fht-esslingen.de/hochschule/umweltschutz/abfallfibel/symbole/recycling.gif

My site was going to promote the use of a perfect circle (universal symbol of strength) with one half twist in it as the symbol for crossdressers. There could be color variations as well, to further identify ourselves if we wanted. A silver mobius circle being the general symbol - and a white one being a symbol of acceptance.

The great thing about the mobius circle idea is that mobius strips are mathematical anomolies and make an easy conversation piece - easier to blow off than, say, a butterfly necklace or something! You can get mobius tie tacks, cufflinks, paperweights - all kinds of "plain sight" objects that would be a great way to secretly say "I know". ALSO - you can easily get mobius rings and jewelry, too! The mobius wedding band in platinum is beautiful! But if anyone asked about the cool paperweight it's easy to say "yea, it's a mobius strip. Kinda cool, huh?"

Google Mobius Sculpture and you get all kinds of beautiful objects:
http://history.fnal.gov/pictures/Mobius_Strip_b.jpg

I sincerely believe that this symbol is the way to go. It's beautiful, androgynous, easy to hide, easy to recognize, and is simple - not flashy... subtle.
http://www.ostlingbrooks.com/media/mobius/moebius-basic.jpg
http://www.ostlingbrooks.com/media/mobius/moebius-earring-2.jpg
http://www.ostlingbrooks.com/media/mobius/moebius-bracelet.jpg

I have already begun building a website to promote this symbol though I haven't bought the name yet. I've been searching around and there are a few mobius jewelry makers I've considered commissioning. Not to mention stickers and website buttons, all that jazz. But it's not about the money... remember when it was "news" that, oooooh, gay people wear an earring in their right ear!? It all starts somewhere... I think this is it.

Anyone agree?

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Now that I like Stephanie :thumbsup: Good thinking :)

StephanieCD
07-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Really? you like it? I almost PMed you to make sure you saw it - I wanted your opinion. I really believe in this idea and I want to get everyone's input.. I don't want to go against anybody else's idea - I just really believe in this one... everyone's take on it would really help.

I wanted to have a site ready to show you all before I 'unveiled' the idea - but somebody dug up my old thread about it - now there's all this talk about it!

Tamara Croft
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I like it too Stephanie..... it's pretty kewl :D

StephanieCD
07-10-2005, 07:45 PM
You could have the holy white mobius strip ;)

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I do like it:) Can I get the elvin script on mine like in Lord of the Rings? No?

StephanieCD
07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Anyway you want it! It's all about personal expression ;)

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Questions:

Who's going to market this symbol?

How is anyone but the few here voting going to know without asking what this symbol represents?

How long do you think it will take to get the word out?

I don't mind the idea but for this to benefit everyone we need some realism. How is anyone who just happens to CD going to know what that thing you're wearing is? If everyone has to ask then I don't see how the original purpose of being able to tell who's who from a distance might work. Not everyone who CDs comes to this forum. Even if it was marketed and up on a website it would literally take years to catch on. I'm just being realistic. I could wear a red button every time I go out and get the same response because people have no idea what it means, not even 'us'.
You're probably right; Joanna said as much. I just think that this is fun, and I am treating it as an opinion-gathering exercise.

I suppose that marketing rights belong to whoever has the gumption to go out and trademark and make something.

carson
07-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm all for the Ladybug for five specific reasons:

1) I like it's symbolism of metamorphosis.
2) It's subtle because it is not well known.
3) It's asthetically pleasing.
4) Ironically, my daughter's secondary nickname is Ladybug.
5) Because of #4, I could display/wear it all the time.

StephanieCD
07-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Can't really trademark it if it's for the greater good, though - ya know? It's not like the gay mafia gets royalties for every rainbow you see :)

But, yea - it's all about gumption! And thank you for reintroducing that word into my vocabulary :bunny:

Jen_TGCD
07-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Just to add more confusion... this is a simple design pendant. If someone asks about it... you have a lot of options to explain it... depending on who you are talking to.

Cool Dude
Compact Di_k
Confused and Dazed
Chronically Dysfunctional
Certified Diamond
-or-
I'm actually a CrossDresser ! ! ! :thumbsup:

carson
07-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Ah, Tristen?

I certainly do not want to question your integrity or imply any ballot stuffing, but I noticed the "Triangle" seems to be making a full court press and you've posted SIX threads already. You haven't maybe voted more than once, have you? ;)

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Tiffy
07-11-2005, 03:16 PM

I think I could work with that. :)

Kisses, April

Sarah Roberts
07-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I think we most resemble the butterfly.

We metamorphis our selves from our everyday male selves into the beautiful ffemale creatures that we want to be. The changing of our male personality to our female personality and demeanour is very similar to that of the catipillar to a butterfly!!!

This is how I feel every time I dawn on the make up and clothes.

Zaria

liz lesbow
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Someone posted a ying yang logo with a twist. It had a third yang (whatever) to it so it looked like three yang’s (whatever) and I thought to myself this is great. Maybe this is a symbol that has been used. If not well I think that person has chosen the perfect symbol whether knowingly or not. I will start searching for who that was. It seamed very appropriate and east to duplicate.

Sweet Jeanette
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't mind me.---I just thought I would tell all of you that I am still alive. ---I am just being quiet, and watching the poll. :)

AmyCarter
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
i went with the seahorse i like the water............a ring??? neckless.....
I think the seahorse is best since it's the male seahorse who does the actual childbearing, i think it's the only animal in nature who would crossdress if animals other than people wore clothes (wear a bra and maternity clothes atleast). Of course, there are animals that change sex during their life (fish mostly) but we're not exactly going for a transgender symbol here are we? Plus I've always dreamt and wished that I could be a mermaid; seahorse it is.

StephanieCD
07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I guess I'm partial to my own idea but, personally, I'd have a much harder time explaining something like a seahorse or butterfly (though I do have a butterfly tattoo ;) ) than I would a non-descript symbol, ya know? Can't really get away with having a seahorse on a chain at the office.. or even a ladybug, ya know? And the gender symbols are pretty obvious. I don't know - I'd never get away with it. I would want something more discreet. Less likely to get me made fun of behind my back - I've had enough of that :(

wilma
07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Stephanie I love your Idea but I already voted for the butterfly. I have a butterfly necklace Tone gave me and I love it. The mobius idea is so unique and can be easily worn any time. If it were on the ballot I would vote for it now. LOL Wilma

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Someone posted a ying yang logo with a twist. It had a third yang (whatever) to it so it looked like three yang’s (whatever) and I thought to myself this is great. Maybe this is a symbol that has been used. If not well I think that person has chosen the perfect symbol whether knowingly or not. I will start searching for who that was. It seamed very appropriate and east to duplicate.
It has in fact been used, at least twice, but I think we should lean away from outward symbols, and go for something that can't be duplicated or made popular or obvious outright.
Wearing panties on your head for example. You can be sure nobody will do it, and if they do, they probably cross dress.

liz lesbow
07-12-2005, 11:51 PM
ying yang with a twist (3 part one)

liz lesbow
07-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Just found this thread.

I put "something else".

How about this. It is not obvious and can be explained with any conotation of "Universe" etc if someone asks.

The Ying Yang Symbol with a circle round it. In One segment have the arrow. In the other segment have the cross +. The circle, cross and arrow are all the elements of the TG symbols. The Ying Yang bit joins female and male into one whole.

It would make a good belt, badge, earrings etc etc.
this works for me

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I voted I don't care because I had an epiphany and don't want to be identified by a symbol.

I saw someone's abbreviation and if the urge so consumes me, I'll wear ablack shirt with "XDR" in big white letters.

Vivian Best
07-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Personally I liked Lady Janes XX & Y symbols. Any of the three can be worn overtly or covertly. I like any of the three.

Vivian

Lady Jayne
07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Vivian Thank you,
I'm pleased you like the designes, I was hopeing to achieve something that had relevence to us and easily recognisable to other CD/TG's that could be worn eaither En-femme or in drab I think my I prefere this one However I do like the http://www.ostlingbrooks.com/media/mobius/moebius-basic.jpg One conceren It may be a bit too discrete I don't know how easy it would be to notice unless you were looking. But it is pretty I may look for one anyway!

Clare
07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey Jayne,

That ring is PERFECT! Its got the crossover built into it! But yeah, it is very subtle and you'd have to look closely to detect the style. Still, i would have absolutly no hesitation wearing that ring design - love it!

Christine

Lady Jayne
07-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Christine
The ring was Stephanie's Idea but it is very nice and yes I'd definatly wear one I'm just not sure how easy it would be to notice on someone if we are looking for a symbol to help us recognise each other. But any excuse to buy jewelry works for me Hee hee!

Brianna Kylee
07-13-2005, 10:58 AM
i personally like the idea of a ring on the pinky, the yin-yang would be good but other people would have such a thing because its kind of a popular symbol.

Stephenie
07-13-2005, 11:12 AM
The ring is how I vote. But I get the Ruling Ring.

One ring to find them, and in the darkness bind them.

Rachel Ann
07-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Almost halfway through, butterfly and triangle are way ahead with seahorse, ladybug, yin-yang and “don’t care/won’t wear” fighting for third place. The Möbius ring is emerging as a new contender in the posts. Great turnout girls, 100 have voted. :)

………………………………………… …

A few things to remember:

The Butterfly is already extensively used by gays and Christians, among others. If you don’t want to be perceived as either, you may not want to wear one.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=157474&postcount=52 (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=157474&postcount=52)

http://www.cafepress.com/prideinart.15763753 (http://www.cafepress.com/prideinart.15763753)

The pink triangle is widely used by gays. Tristen’s rendition is very noticeable and is widely used by CDs. It allows for no alternate explanation.

http://tattoo.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=tattoo&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overtherainbowshop.com%2Fsymbo ls.htm (http://tattoo.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=tattoo&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overtherainbowshop.com%2Fsymbo ls.htm)

I think that most of us are probably XY. I wonder how the intersexed would feel about us using XXY?

Stephanie I love your Idea but I already voted for the butterfly
This, I am noticing, is a problem with a poll like this – as people add new ideas, those who have voted can’t go back and change. When the poll closes, I’ll go back and tally up the posts. After all, multiple choices are allowed in this poll.

... I'm just not sure how easy it would be to notice on someone if we are looking for a symbol to help us recognise each other.
Well, the point is for it to be subtle. :)

... the yin-yang would be good but other people would have such a thing because it's kind of a popular symbol.
That's a good thing. We want alternate explanations!

Wendy me
07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
pinky rings work...http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1097/sring7sz.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Stephenie
07-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Yea pinkie ring, the only other people you see with them are in the Mob, and who's going to mess with them.

Julie
07-13-2005, 04:54 PM
The clown fish, because they change genders when needed. Also, they are the only fish that can go into the stinging tentacles of the anemone without being killed and consumed or even hurt. Kind of like living life on the edge, just as we do all the time.

http://www.diversionoz.com/Steve/images/tclown1.jpg

Rachel Ann
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
The clown fish, because they change genders when needed.
Earthworms do too, but who wants to wear that? Good choice, Julie!

Yea pinkie ring, the only other people you see with them are in the Mob, and who's going to mess with them.
Steph, your post reminds me of a European fellow I once encountered wearing a Hells' Angels jacket while disembarking at San Francisco. I guess he tought it was hip or something

1. The jacket was spanking clean, a sin to begin with.
2. It had a San Francisco ("Frisco" - eugh) patch on it.
3. It didn't have a "Prospect" patch on it.
4. Based on his physique, he couldn't have survived initiation anyway.

I mentally gave him 12 hours to live, at the outside.

xx

Rachel

Maude
07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Umm anyone going to do anything with this poll besides talk about it? Anyone manufacturing the item when the final decission is made? HOW ARE ANY OF THESE SYMBOLS UNNOTICABLE IF YOU WEAR THEM?

I think I'll go and answer a heathr thread now..... :rolleyes:

i thought we are all noticeable !

maude

Rachel Ann
07-13-2005, 05:37 PM
I thought we are all noticeable! maude
Many of us, not ft, must be unnoticeable at times. I thought that the idea was to have a way that we could recognize each other in drab without showing our cards to anbody else.

Tiffy
07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
I like the pinky ring. Very nice touch I think.

April

Rachel Ann
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I like the pinky ring. Very nice touch I think.
Now we just have to settle on *which* pinkie ring! :)

Paula Rae
07-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey Ladies,

OK, you've convinced me let's go with a ring, here's my choice.

Ricki B

Sweet Jeanette
07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Wearing panties on your head for example. You can be sure nobody will do it, and if they do, they probably cross dress.

I have tried that.---It dosen't work. :rolleyes:

Rachel Ann
07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
My suggestion du jour: so many great ideas have popped up since this poll started, how about a brief runoff once it closes? We would eliminate "something else", the two "don't care" categories and as many of the lowest ranking in the first round as it takes to put up the new ideas.

What does everybody think about this?

Sweet Jeanette
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
My suggestion du jour: so many great ideas have popped up since this poll started, how about a brief runoff once it closes? We would eliminate "something else", the two "don't care" categories and as many of the lowest ranking in the first round as it takes to put up the new ideas.

What does everybody think about this?Cool!----I vote,---lets DO it! :D

StephanieCD
07-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to comment that the idea about the mobius symbol and the ring (as a way to display the symbol, not necessarily the ring) were, in my opinion, ideal BECAUSE they're so discreet you wouldn't notice them unless you were looking. Someone'd notice a big old ladybug flopping around on my somewhere, ya know? But a simple circle with a half twist is so simple we can incorporate it into anything we want! Jewlery, clothes, tattoos, paintings, random objects - I even want to make a car decal like that *ehem* Jesus fish thing... a simple ring with a half twist at the top. The only one's who'd notice would those who were looking - the whole idea.

My point of view - I guess it's obvious I really believe in this one. I've put thought into it and started a site and everything :)

I'll shut up now. LOL For a minute ;)

wilma
07-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I second the Mobius ring. right hand, no left, ok right, oh I don't know!!! LOL Wilma

StephanieCD
07-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Wherever you want it :) On a shirt, even. A necklace? It's the shape itself that I'm proposing. It's not like only rainbows worn on thighs are "gay" symbols, right?

Bernadina
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I know I suggested the butterfly at some point but I'm having second thoughts as it has been pointed out that it has been overused. I also picked up some small butterfly pins last weekend and they are a bit obvious.

I like the mobius ring/pin/pendent idea.

Maria2004
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
I love symbols, I beleive in their power to inspire. I chose "other" because I feel a need for 2 symbols. One for the "civilians", those who are for their own ligitimate reasons are not ready to go "out", and need to display their preferences on the Lo Lo and the "soldiers" those who are out in the public, on the front lines. There were many CDers who came "out" long before me, in a more hostile environment. Their efforts, I beleive have contributed to my much more "tolerent" experience. Now it's my turn. I have a symbol I already wear that I wish to submit for your consideration, (see link below). I will continue to wear my symbol and would proudly wear any symbol you all my choose.

To those who my choice of symbol may "offend" I apologize (huggles, kisses, blah blah) please feel free to torch me :p Those who "get it", PM me we need to talk :cool:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/maria04/booya2.jpg

Bernadina
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
snip..

I have a symbol I already wear that I wish to submit for your consideration, (see link below). I will continue to wear my symbol and would proudly wear any symbol you all my choose.

snip..

Girls with attitude! Great!

StephanieCD
07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Maria!!! OMG!

What a transformation! You're a pro! The picture/s at the link above - I'm inpsired. Wow.

Maria2004
07-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Maria!!! OMG!

What a transformation! You're a pro! The picture/s at the link above - I'm inpsired. Wow.

Thanks Stephanie. It's a lot of work, 2 to 4 days of prep time for one outing or photo session that lasts only a few hours. I have hand plucked out my entire mustache and beard around my mouth and just below my chin, I have to work on it daily (till I get my laser treatments :) ) but the hairs are getting finer and less painfull. I use clear waterproof bandage tape to give myself a facelift, and pull my neck back. I use "Eucerin" pore purifying fash wash, followed by their Deep Action Toner, followed by their Daily Control & Care moisterizer. Months of practice, trying differnt make ups. My wife told me I didn't need a "foundation" but she has gorgeous skin, I alas "need" a foundation, followed by concealer, then more foundation, then top coat and blush, all cream to powder type. Cucumber slices and tea bags really do work at supressing the bags under my eyes temporarily, I was amazed. All this being said, I'm not trying to "pass" I don't spoof my voice or will deny being a man, I love my clothes and just try and look as good as I possibly can, and it has worked out rather well.

Joan Leggs
07-15-2005, 04:50 AM
I vote for the Mobius Pinky Ring It Is discret and I can wear it when in drab
which is most of the time now adays but that's another Thread.
and no one will be the wiser except for us girls.

Tiffy
07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
I do not know what to call it but I like the one with the Crossover in it. Very nice touch and can easily be worn all the time and in drab.

Love, April

paulaN
07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I like the mobias strip. suttel yet very fitting.

StephanieCD
07-15-2005, 10:50 PM
It symbolizes transformation (from one side to the other) and unity (of the two sides) while it also happens to be a beautiful mathematical anomoly - an extraordinary circumstance. Simple and beautiful at the same time.

(have I sold this idea yet!?)

http://www.visionsingold.com/LARGE%20SAPPHIRE%20MOBIUS.jpg
http://www.visionsingold.com/LARGE%20RUBY%20MOBIUS.jpg
http://www.ka-gold-jewelry.com/images/products/mobius-ring/mobius-ring_silver.jpg
http://www.ka-gold-jewelry.com/images/products/mobius-ring/mobius-ring-gold.jpg

Sweet Jeanette
07-15-2005, 11:38 PM
It symbolizes transformation (from one side to the other) and unity (of the two sides) while it also happens to be a beautiful mathematical anomoly - an extraordinary circumstance. Simple and beautiful at the same time.

http://www.visionsingold.com/LARGE%20SAPPHIRE%20MOBIUS.jpg
http://www.visionsingold.com/LARGE%20RUBY%20MOBIUS.jpg
http://www.ka-gold-jewelry.com/images/products/mobius-ring/mobius-ring_silver.jpg
http://www.ka-gold-jewelry.com/images/products/mobius-ring/mobius-ring-gold.jpg

The design, and the idea behind it sounds cool. I think I would vote for it, if I hadn't voted already!

Rachel Ann
07-16-2005, 12:18 AM
It's certainly got lots of support, which is why we're going to have a runoff!

We could also kick it up one dimension to a Klein Bottle and make it a charm for a bracelet or pendant. (This is a bottle that has no inside or outside):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/NoodlesRomanoff/KleinBottle1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/NoodlesRomanoff/KleinBottle2.jpg

(Just kidding, this is one of those things that you can draw a picture of, but can't exist in 3 dimensions. Sort of like an M. C. Escher drawing.)

p.s. How many know that the Möbius strip has an actual industrial application, and what it is? Answer will be given at end of poll on 7/19

Sweet Jeanette
07-16-2005, 12:36 AM
It's certainly got lots of support, which is why we're going to have a runoff!

We could also kick it up one dimension to a Klein Bottle and make it a charm for a bracelet or pendant. (This is a bottle that has no inside or outside):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/NoodlesRomanoff/KleinBottle1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/NoodlesRomanoff/KleinBottle2.jpg

(Just kidding, this is one of those things that you can draw a picture of, but can't exist in 3 dimensions. Sort of like an M. C. Escher drawing.)

p.s. How many know that the Möbius strip has an actual industrial application, and what it is? Answer will be given at end of poll on 7/19

Im sure by now, that all of you know that I am a rather free and easy-going person, and that I choose to sort of ignore the rather, "constants" of the everyday world!---I sort of, ---like to interpret things as I want to see them!!! :D Well, I have a idea about this "Klein bottle" thing. ---To me, it looks like a stomach with an esophogus, where the esophogus is piped back into the stomach!!! -----It looks like it might "feed" on itself!!!-----Horrors!--But, that is only my "out there" type of thought. Don't mind me. :rolleyes:

StephanieCD
07-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Someday when I have a few bucks to throw away I'm going to order the Klein beer mug - for giggles. Always thought they were cool.

industrial application of a mobius strip? Old belt drives? Also read that they were used in some conveyor belts to extend the life of them because both "sides" get wear.

Beyond that I can imagine quite a few - saw a really good idea on a site suggesting a belt sander use a double sided mobius strip of sandpaper to double the lifespan of the belt!

Rachel Ann
07-16-2005, 10:11 PM
... they were used in some conveyor belts to extend the life of them because both "sides" get wear.
Give the lady a cigar! :D

Someday when I have a few bucks to throw away I'm going to order the Klein beer mug - for giggles. Always thought they were cool.
Yeah, but since they have to compromise the definition to make them "work", I'm not sure I could settle for that.

Eons ago, when I was a newly married twenty-something, my wife asked me what I wanted for Xmas, and I said "a Klein Bottle". I let her drive herself nuts for a couple of weeks before I 'fessed up. She was pissed! :o

But, that is only my "out there" type of thought. Don't mind me. :rolleyes:
Since we're talking about an imaginary object, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

StephanieCD
07-16-2005, 10:17 PM
That's exactly why I didn't blow the money - it's an impossible object.... but still a cool thingy to have someday.

Elysia
07-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I vote for the Möbius ring. Simple but meaningful. Great suggestion Stephanie.

Sweet Jeanette
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
It is 7-19-05, and it is now 6:25Pm my time. When the poll closes, at 8:08PM, it will be 10:08PM my time, I think.---I am SO eagerly looking forward to what we all pick! ---Ill be Sooo happy to finally have a symbol, (whatever we pick) to be able to wear with pride in Public!!!!---AND, I WILL wear our symbol EVERYWHERE, whereever I go, or do.---I feel very good inside!!! :p ---I relish the idea of others like us to :) know of me!!!---This is a perfect idea!!!---You can not believe how happy I am right now!!! :)

StephanieCD
07-19-2005, 06:44 PM
So what's the count, anyway? Weren't we going to do a revised one or something? *nudge nudge* :bunny:

Sweet Jeanette
07-19-2005, 07:02 PM
So what's the count, anyway? Weren't we going to do a revised one or something? *nudge nudge* :bunny:

Rachel Anne said we were going to do a "runoff", and cut out some of the other stuff.---The count is above this post,and it looks like the butterfly is leading.

Rachel Ann
07-19-2005, 09:35 PM
When the poll closes, at 8:08PM, it will be 10:08PM my time, I think
If I'm not mistaken, we all see it in local time. So I'm taking it to mean 9:08 pm PDT.

I will get to tallying the write-ins as soon as I possibly can. The runoff will be shorter (4 days enough? Anybody need more?), won't have write-ins or "don't care" options, and will allow only one choice per voter.

Rachel x

p.s. Sorry, there is NO WAY I'm wearing a butterfly or a pink triangle en drab. And en femme, we don't really need a symbol, do we?

Sweet Jeanette
07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we all see it in local time. So I'm taking it to mean 9:08 pm PDT.

I will get to tallying the write-ins as soon as I possibly can. The runoff will be shorter (4 days enough? Anybody need more?), won't have write-ins or "don't care" options, and will allow only one choice per voter.

Rachel x

My time, (Central), will be 11:08PM.------I eagerly await!------4 days is plenty for me!--- :nerves:

Rachel Ann
07-20-2005, 01:43 AM
OK, here are the results.It's too much of a production to get spreadsheet margins in one of these posts, so everything is shown as:

Symbol, Submitter, Poll Votes, Write-ins, Total Votes

butterfly, Bernadina, 31, 0, 31
triangle with modified m/f signs, Tristen, 30, 0, 30
yin-yang, RainyHaze, 14, 4, 18
ladybug, Rikki be Good, 17, 1, 18
seahorse, Celeste, 13, 2, 15
Möbius Strip, Stephanie CD, 0, 12, 12
rotating 3D m/f symbol, Jo Ann, 9, 0, 9
rainbow, Donna Louise, 4, 0, 4
chromosome pattern, Lady Jayne, 0, 3, 3
clown fish, Julie M, 0, 2, 2
“CD” pendant, Jen TGCD, 0, 1, 1
caterpillar, Natalie Sweet, 0, 1, 1
flipping the bird, Maria2004, 0, 1, 1
panties on head, Ibuki Warbetal, 0, 1, 1
detachable garter bracelets, Ibuki Warbetal, 0, 1, 1

Sometimes deciding what was a write-in (and of what) took a little interpretation. But, I don’t think this changed who was in the top 7 and who was not.

So, with an honorable mention to those who had great ideas that just didn’t get traction, I’m going to set up a runoff among the top 7. Vote for one only. Write-ins will not be counted. This will be a 5 day poll ending Sunday night. Let’s play fair and everybody refrain from ballot box stuffing, ok? Campaigning is fair, but not bribery or fiddling with the voting machine.

This poll will ONLY be about what the symbol is, not how it be will rendered (ring, pendant, pin, whatever) or what colors will be used. I think that when it is time to decide that, whoever is going to do the work will get more votes than everybody else. :p

Please see “Symbol Poll: Sudden Death” to vote.

Rachel xxx