PDA

View Full Version : Out to my mother

sandra-leigh
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
A few days ago, I reported that I came out to my sister (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110108) on the telephone.

I'm currently visiting her and my mother is here. On the day of the local Pride march, it was raining, which would have ruined my planned march in my linen dress. So I had m own Pride march of sorts: I went to a local park with my mother, and we walked around a long way (partly in the rain) and I told her a bunch about my personal history (long time social outcast or ignored), and I told her I'd found out something about my self, and I talked about how science doesn't know numbers or causes but it was probably biological (and everyone might have it to some degree.) And only after all of that (which took rather some time), I labeled what it was I was talking about: crossdressing and transgender. And we talked about that that for a while, and she told me about some of her life experiences, and understood about needing to internally balance masculine and feminine. And I talked a bunch about th acceptance i've found from so many people in my crossdressing even from people that clearly knew I was male. She said she still had lots of questions and that we still had lots to talk about, but we ran out of time (3 1/2 hours of talking). There was a little-bit of body-language ambiguity as to how she took it all, but it definitely was not rejection, and she at least joked about how perhaps we should go out together sometime.

It was a good talk and she didn't freak out at all. But we haven't had time to process questions such as whether she really would be willing to go out with me, or about how she would feel if I dressed in her presence... but based on the talk, I know she definitely won't "disown" me or anything even remotely close... and now she knows, and we're both comfortable enough with it that we will be able to talk about it in the future.

And Yes, I did explicitly mention skirts and dresses and bras and breast-forms, but I don't think I happened to mention panties or pantyhose.

She did not, by the way, ask the famous first questions about gay and transitioning, but at the end, when we were driving back I answered them for her in case she'd been wondering.

So now all of my living immediate family knows and accepts (not just tolerates) to at least some degree.

Joni Marie Cruz
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Tess-leigh,

Good for you, hon. You have a very special mom.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Miranda09
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Way to go Tess. You handled that situation admirably. You have a great and open minded mom. :)

Noxvictum
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Sounds awesome. Wonder if her first thought "He's gonna need shoes"

Teri Jean
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Good for you Tess, that took a lot of courage and I'm glad you had time to talk it through. That was probably the smart thing in having the time to answer questions and then to offer the remaining questions without the questions being asked probably helped. Do us a favor and keep us posted as to how well she processed everything. And if you both have a day or evening out together I hope it goes well.

Huggs Keli

Angie G
06-30-2009, 12:15 AM
That's great Tess. You've got a cool mom and sis.:hugs:
Angie

battybattybats
06-30-2009, 12:49 AM
:hugs:

Thats awesome!
Give her time and be prepared for her acceptance to come and go a bit as she gets used to it. She may have some unconcious transphobia to overcome to some extent that may take time or could build up and hit unexpectedly.

But thats a great experience for you and bodes really well for the future :hugs:

sandra-leigh
06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Talking around the subject was relatively easy but time-consuming. The scary part was in first using the labels, and thus first saying what I was really talking about -- admitting to the behaviour that many would find off-putting or worse.

And she's gone through a lot of personal development herself over the years, so she understood that it took time for me to find this out about myself and to figure out what it meant, and to finally realize in myself that TG (not just CD, and not TS) was what "I just knew" was what was how it was for me.

And she understands that I'm still working through it all myself, and I don't know where it will all end up. I told her about what my major question to the therapist is (i.e., how do I feel accepted and have friends and feel comfortable and connected to people and the community all (or at least most) of the time, rather than beating myself up or my asking "how do I become more female" or something like that... and that my feelings myself about it will likely change over time.

She did at one point suggest that at some point I might not need the crossdressing anymore, but I said that though I might find that I don't need it as much, that I I felt that likely some amount of cross-dressing was likely to be with me for the rest of my life.

vivianann
06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Congrats tess, glad it all went well with your mother. keep us posted.