PDA

View Full Version : TG Acceptance in Barcelona, Spain?

Melanie R
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
In November of this year we are having our annual crossdressing cruise from Barcelona to Galveston/Houston. Several of the CD's who are on the cruise and will be in Barcelona several days before the cruise are asking if there are salons in Barcelona that welcome CD's and provide hair and manicure services. Any ideas from any of you from Spain?

Sophie_C
07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I've been to Barcelona a number of times, but while I do think there is a relatively large TG community there, TGs are not CDs! In Spain, they'll give you all the treatments by their socialized healthcare (including the surgery), so you're not going to find many people like yourself, who just dress differently but do not transition. I am quite sure they'll welcome the business, since it's slightly poorer there, but like most large cities in the world, most places won't be terribly CD-specific friendly.

How long is that cruise, anyway? That's got to be at least two weeks to get from Texas to Barcelona at top speed for even the fastest ships crossing the Atlantic, no?

battybattybats
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I've been to Barcelona a number of times, but while I do think there is a relatively large TG community there, TGs are not CDs! In Spain, they'll give you all the treatments by their socialized healthcare (including the surgery), so you're not going to find many people like yourself, who just dress differently but do not transition. I am quite sure they'll welcome the business, since it's slightly poorer there, but like most large cities in the world, most places won't be terribly CD-specific friendly.

How long is that cruise, anyway? That's got to be at least two weeks to get from Texas to Barcelona at top speed for even the fastest ships crossing the Atlantic, no?

Crossdressers are definately Transgender!
But from what I've heard Spain is rather effected by the work of H.B.S. CD-hating bigots trying to make the CD and TS community very seperate, in fact I think the founder is from Barcelona iirc. I hope though that they haven't been too successfu therel.

HBS, or harry benjamin syndrome is a movement to treat TS as a purely medical problem.. that would all be well and good but they have very narrow views of what counts as TS and they pour hate on many TSs, on the term Transgender and especially on CDs. They are small but very vocal on blogs and forums around the net and they campain actively against including CDs in many countries TG laws! For example they actively tried to get CDs removed from the Australian Human Rights Commission's Sex and Gender diversity Consultation and to have their 'classic Transsexual' and 'True Transsexual' terminology recognised, but thankfully they were stopped by CDs and others standing up for themselves.

Melanie R
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM

The cruise leaves Barcelona on Nov. 29 arriving in Galveston on Dec.13 - 2 weeks.