PDA

View Full Version : Why women try on so many outfits when shopping.

carson
07-10-2005, 09:34 PM
I get so bored and impatient any time my wife takes me clothes shopping with her because she tries on so many outfits and takes so darn long in the dressing rooms. And obviously, I can't be perusing the racks for myself while she's doing all this, which would almost make it fun. :- But I'm gaining new found respect for what she must go through to find a size that fits. Here's why.

I decided to order this really cute skirt I found online from a major chain retailor. After using a cloth tape to check my waist and hip measurements against their sizing chart, I determined that with a 36" waist, I was smack dab between their 18 and 20. So I ordered the 20 and it was WAY too big. I called cust. service before returning the skirt for an exchange and the gal told me I should have gone down to the 18. So I order the 18 and IT was to big. As was the 16 on the next go 'round. Well, today I was in the mall and decided to stop in this major retailor just to poke around. They had my skirt, but just one left and it was a size 8. I held it up and eyeballed it. It really didn't look that small. So since it was on final sale for peanuts, I thought, "What the hell, can't hurt to try?" Would you believe the damn thing fit! Ok, just a little snug, but honestly not uncomfortable. The point of this story is that the retailors size chart had me between a 18 and a 20 and I end up wearing an 8! No wonder my wife spends so much time having to try on clothes when she goes shopping. There doesn't seem to be any benchmark for womens' clothing sizes. What a pain!

I would like to add one thing if I may. Hey Tristen! Did ya hear that? 6'3" / 195lbs. and I'm wearing a size 8! :p

At least one demi-god of retail loves me... :dance:

Jesse69
07-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah, some stores have items where the sizes are just too large. I was just at Walmart and the size 16 skirt looked too gigantic! And the size 4 skirt looked like a size 8. Lately I got size 8 skirt from ebay that seemed a bit too big - 30" waist. I think for size 8 it should be a 27.5" to 28" waist. And I can fit some size 2 to 4 outfits that are large for their size. I accidently bought a size 0 dress and no couldn't zip that one up!

Robertacd
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Reminds me of a comedy routine I heard once.

They should open a store called "Size 2". Everything in it would be labled size 2 no matter what size it was. Woman would not know any difference as womans clothes sizes vary so wildly they are used to trying on many items to find one that fits. So they will just keep trying on clothes until they find the "size 2" that fits them.

Then they will all go away happy knowing they can fit in a size 2! :D

carson
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Reminds me of a comedy routine I heard once.

They should open a store called "Size 2". Everything in it would be labled size 2 no matter what size it was. Woman would not know any difference as womans clothes sizes vary so wildly they are used to trying on many items to find one that fits. So they will just keep trying on clothes until they find the "size 2" that fits them.

Then they will all go away happy knowing they can fit in a size 2! :D

OMG! I love it! A great idea Robertacd. I guess since I'm a guy I'm not so sensitive about my size, but my wife would love a store like that. You are a marketing genius! :clap:

Tristen Cox
07-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Well now you are learning all the trails women go through. Just imagine how I felt opening my size ten panties that I went off the stupid chart to buy and I actually take a 5/6. :eek: I used that to determine the dress size from there and added some slack up to size 8.

(btw 6' foot 150lbs:p)

Julie
07-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Why do women try on so many outfits when shopping?

Because they CAN!

Julie
07-11-2005, 12:04 AM
That reminds me of a female high school wrestler (a rarity) who, after she was done wrestling at a tournament, was putting on lipstick in the stands. One of the wrestlers asked her why she's wearing lipstick and she replied, "Because I can!"

Lady Jayne
07-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Just a little tip when it comes to sizing your skirts/trousers.....Many skirts and especially modern jeans are designed to be worn lower down on the hip so for example a uk size 16 with a (30/32 inch waist in the chart) will have a hip measurment of 38/40. As we don't have the gg's natural shape you need to check the cut and style if it's worn low buy according to your hip measurments.

It's not foolproof but I Hope this helps.

carson
07-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Just a little tip when it comes to sizing your skirts/trousers.....Many skirts and especially modern jeans are designed to be worn lower down on the hip so for example a uk size 16 with a (30/32 inch waist in the chart) will have a hip measurment of 38/40. As we don't have the gg's natural shape you need to check the cut and style if it's worn low buy according to your hip measurments.

It's not foolproof but I Hope this helps.

Thanks for the sizing tip Lady Jayne. In spite of the fact that I do like some flirty minis which I've admitted aren't really age appropriate for me, I wear them at the waist in the style they would have been worn 20-30 yrs. ago (ouch :eek: ) when I would have been a younger girl. I do not understand this current style for girls to wear their skirts and jeans riding half an inch above their :censor: ! :confused:

Wendy me
07-11-2005, 05:55 AM
why because it is fun to do.....

Sophia Rearen
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=carsoncd] And obviously, I can't be perusing the racks for myself while she's doing all this, which would almost make it fun. :-

Carson,
Why can't you? If not for yourself, at least for helping out your wife. :confused:

ebony
07-11-2005, 03:59 PM
there are so many cute things but everything dont fit just right.
so grab all the cute stuff so don't nobody else gets it and try them
all on and pick your top 10.

JoAnnDallas
07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm always looking at the racks while wife is trying on something. I even pick things out and take them back to her. She sometime just gives that stare, but once in a while she takes the item and trys it on.

DragonLotus
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Just imagine how I felt opening my size ten panties that I went off the stupid chart to buy and I actually take a 5/6. :eek:

Tristen, you just hit on a point that drives me absolutely batsh!t.

Why-oh-why are panties sized in a totally different format than the standard dress size!!!!

If I wear a size 10 dress I sure as hell don't wear a size 10 panty. The 10 panties would fit someone who wears like a 20-22 dress size. Sometimes I just want to strangle the garment industry. :Punch:

Tristen Cox
07-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Tristen, you just hit on a point that drives me absolutely batsh!t.

Why-oh-why are panties sized in a totally different format than the standard dress size!!!!

If I wear a size 10 dress I sure as hell don't wear a size 10 panty. The 10 panties would fit someone who wears like a 20-22 dress size. Sometimes I just want to strangle the garment industry. :Punch:
No kidding. I was wondering how many of me they could fit in there :eek:

Clare
07-12-2005, 12:50 AM
My wife lived for Target clothes last summer!

We went clothes shopping for her on every Saturday and she was always trying on stuff (with my encouragement)!

I just wish i was able to try on all the same styles too!

Yes, i did enjoy waiting whilst she tried everything on - she always came out of the change rooms looking great.

As i used to say to her: 'Honey, can i have one of those in size 16 as well? No you're a man!'

Oh well, i tried!

Christine