PDA

View Full Version : Nice Endorsement!

sissystephanie
07-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I went to my Podiatrist today for a checkup of some foot problems I had been having. As usual I was dressed kind of enfemme, ladies shorts, top, and open toe sandals.

When I last went to him, I had two stress fractures in my left foot. He asked me how the foot felt, and I told him it felt fine now. He looked at my sandals, which I had taken off, and said, "well, at least you have the good sense to wear heels! They are much better for your feet then the flat shoes that most men wear." Then he said, "And I wish more men would get pedicures like you do (my toes are a very bright pink!)! Your toes and feet are in great shape!" I told him the lady who does my toes also massages my feet and legs!

BTW, I noticed he was was wearing shoes with some heel height! Wonder if he is a CD?

Ralph
07-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Wait, I thought heels were a Bad Thing because they put undue stress on the achilles tendon or something like that? Now flats are bad for you?

Lorileah
07-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Wait, I thought heels were a Bad Thing because they put undue stress on the achilles tendon or something like that? Now flats are bad for you?

It is the height of the heel, too much of a good thing :) Many orthotics actually raise your heel in your shoe so you are more on your toes. They claim it gives you better balance and helps your spine.

Shelly Preston
07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
A lot of this depends on your particular feet

I was also told a bit of a heel would help

I am not sure if she meant 4 inch heels :daydreaming:

Sophie Lynne
07-02-2009, 11:35 AM
4" heels are bad? Damn! *gets out the 5" heels*

cindym5_04
07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I put most of my weight on my heels in general... I now wonder if I should be wearing heeled pumps more often and claim that it's a "medical issue".

Jennifer in CO
07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
when I was a small child (early 60's), I had feet problems(flat arches). A Dr friend of the family recommended to my mother that I wear girls shoes since they had higher/supported arches in them. So from the time I was around 5 till I was 10 or so I wore girls shoes of various kinds. Thinking back, I don't remember any heels but then again, I can make believe right?

Jenn

sissystephanie
07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
It is the height of the heel, too much of a good thing :) Many orthotics actually raise your heel in your shoe so you are more on your toes. They claim it gives you better balance and helps your spine.

Lorileah is right, it is the height of the heel. High Heels, 3 inches or more, are bad for your achilles tendon and your back. But anything below that and over 1 inch are actually good for you, according to both my Podiatrist and my Internist!! Especially if you tend to have flat, or almost flat feet. And the low heels, and/or orthotics do help if you get heel spurs! Look nicer on your feet, too!!:)

MissConstrued
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I hadn't heard that, but the reasoning is logical. Barefoot is really the healthiest. Our bodies are designed for locomotion mainly on the balls of the feet... run barefoot sometime, and you'll notice that your heels never touch the ground. That's the muscles in your feet, toes, and calves acting like shock absorbers. Running in shoes, however, you land on your heels, and that sends a shock all the way up your bones.

There's now a whole growing segment of runners who are pitching their running shoes, so as to do less damage to their joints. And I'm with them... when I run now, it's either barefoot, or in a pair of FiveFingers. My knees don't bother me any more.

Seems like moderate heels would simulate that muscular position when you're just standing around or walking.

So... hooray heels! :love:

Rachel Morley
07-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Really? ... that's good news for me then as most of my "casual en femme time" (trying to blend in etc) is sprent wearing 2" heels.

Jaclyn NM
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I've always known that real high heels are not good for your feet, but that hasn't stopped me from wearing them. Now don't get me wrong, I don't go out for long walks on hard surfaces with them, but I love to lounge around the house in my 5", and 6" stilettoes. I just love the look and feel of wearing them. So I will keep on wearing them, but using good sense and moderation.

sissystephanie
07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I hadn't heard that, but the reasoning is logical. Barefoot is really the healthiest. Our bodies are designed for locomotion mainly on the balls of the feet... run barefoot sometime, and you'll notice that your heels never touch the ground. That's the muscles in your feet, toes, and calves acting like shock absorbers. Running in shoes, however, you land on your heels, and that sends a shock all the way up your bones.

There's now a whole growing segment of runners who are pitching their running shoes, so as to do less damage to their joints. And I'm with them... when I run now, it's either barefoot, or in a pair of FiveFingers. My knees don't bother me any more.

Seems like moderate heels would simulate that muscular position when you're just standing around or walking.

So... hooray heels! :love:

If you land on your heels running with shoes on, you are definitely not running properly! You should always land on the ball of your foot, with or without shoes! 6 years of track and crosscountry running taught me that much. However, if you are a diabetic (as I am) or have any kind of foot problems, you should never run barefooted! "Proper running style, along with proper running shoes, will do less damage to your knees or hips than running barefoot." That is a direct quote from two diffferent Podiatrists! The proper shoe helps to absorb the shock, whereas running barefoot you transmit the shock directly to your knees and hips. You may not feel it right now, but in later years it can come back to haunt you.

BEsides, wearing heels is more fun!:heehee: