PDA

View Full Version : Surprised how easy it is

pamela_a
07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Last month I finally decided on my new name and I've been surprised at just how easy it has become to use it. A couple weeks ago I started physical therapy, on my first appointment I checked in with "his" name but asked if they had a place for a preferred name. They have treated me as a woman and called me Pam ever since, including the appointment reminders. When I was asked my name while bra shopping last week I surprised myself when without hesitation I said Pam.

Now if only the rest of transitioning was that easy.

-Pam-

Staciej
07-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah I catch My self before I say stacie a lot. I dont use my guy name cant find a female vertion I like :heeheee:

JulieP
07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I used to use the name amanda, mostly to myself and because it was close to my guy name. then out of the blue Julie popped in. it just felt right so that is the name i give when not at work.

Jena11
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
For me it has been pretty easy but the hard part has been getting those close to me to use it all the time. It will take some time. the people that I do not spend as much time with have done much better. I completely understand that it is difficult. It will come. My mom has not all yet but she has not seen me as a woman yet. I am sure I will have to remind her.

Empress Lainie
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
After two years, I can hardly even remember being my old name.
I just changed the very last place that still had it yesterday. But they had been sending receipts to Lainie & XXX XXXXX. Now they should just say Lainie.

I actually think the young guy (say 24) that copied my court order and gave it back didn't even realize I was trans. I just said I want to get my old name off of the account. I know his mother didn't or his brothers when they came into the office.

I get questions about my husband a lot too.

My sister rarely uses my old name and if she does say 99.9% of the time corrects herself unless she is stressed. My former girlfriend now best girlfriend only uses my old name when talking about something we did before to her kids, but then she says THEY correct her that my name is now Lainie. My son just calls me Dad, and I guess my daughter would too, but I sign my emails Dad Lainie.

Diane24
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
My college friends pushed me to pick a girl's name since they didn't think they should call someone in a blouse, skirt and makeup, David! After a noisy discussion, someone suggested that "Diane" was the female version of David. So that's how it happened. I don't think of myself as David anymore, It's been a long time since I quit using the name and had all my documents changed.
I was excited to begin using the name Diane. It was a thrill when my friends called me by my new name. I didn't have any family to deal with, so there never was anything bad to put up with as some of the girls here have.
It's important to have a new name for the new you. It doesn't have to be related to your old 'guy' name. Pick a name you like and want to be for the rest of your life!

Love,
Diane

Teri Jean
07-19-2009, 12:35 PM
For me it had been my given name only the Hawaiian version but over time felt I needed to change it because it was so close to my youngest daughter's. So I went back to my given name as if it would have been female all along. I feel better with it.

Huggs, Teri Jean

Aubrey Green
07-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Congrats, the name is getting out there now. You will just have to remember to turn your head, when someone yells Pam!
My name was chosen when I was 13. So she has been me for 39 years.

:daydreaming:

Carole Cross
07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I chose the name Carole when I first realised I was transgendered at age 12. It does sound like my male name, Darrel, and that was probably the reason I chose it and I see no need to change it. I will be changing my name legally to Carole by the end of this year. :D