PDA

View Full Version : Stigmaticization

Magickman
07-04-2009, 11:23 AM
It can be lots of things that make people feel stigmatized.

Too tall, too short, never married, career challenges, and, yes, crossdressing, among other things.

But we cannot be victims without our consent. If you are satisfied and proud of what you do, then no one can hurt you for who you are.

But if you skulk in the shadows of life, and hide from view, then people will think you are hiding something shameful.

Myself, I have a penchant for dressing up. Skirts, tights, heels, earrings, manicures, etc. But I do this in the light of day, and in public, with confidence. No one finds me ducking into a corner, to avoid view.

No one can expose me, because I am out in the open. At social events, I dress in cute outfits, for everyone to see. No hiding for me.

The deep shame and fear of secretive life does not afflict me. I deny the power of shame. I do as I like, and when I want to.

Here is my question.

Why can't we be open and fearless? What are we really afraid of?

kellycan27
07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Search some of the "acceptance" threads, and you'll see everything you always wanted to know on this subject and some things you didn't want to know...LOL There must be a couple hundred of em...
Society is always one of the main reasons. family,job,friends.. The CD death squads roaming the highways and byways. :heehee:

Kate Simmons
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
One of the biggest barriers in my estimation is self acceptance and it seems you have a handle on that. As for what we are afraid of, I can't speak for anyone else but in my case it was that I may like it too much.:)

Joni Marie Cruz
07-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Well, I don't know if what I have to say relates to anyone else's situation or not. Each of us has our own reasons and justifications for how we choose to live our lives and whether we come out to anyone or not.

Speaking for myself, for almost all my life, at least in regard to being TG, I lived how others thought I should live, or even worse, how I thought they thought I should live. Which made it completely in my own head. Sad, huh? Now I live my life the way I want, and surprise, no one else really seems to care. The most important people in my life, my wife and son, know about Joni and are okay with it. All of my best friends know and have no problems. Everyone else can take it or leave it.

Hugs...Joni Mari

MissConstrued
07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm almost disappointed sometimes that I can't seem to provoke a negative reaction from people. :daydreaming: I might enjoy a good brawl now and then, but it's always, "oh cool! A dude dressed like a chick! Rock on!"

I lived in the closet once. Looking back now, I don't think I ever had a good reason for it. I don't even think there was fear involved, really, because I can usually put a name to things that scare me. No, it was more that I used to care what other people thought.

I think the turning point was simply this: one day, my GiveAShit broke.

Joni Marie Cruz
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm almost disappointed sometimes that I can't seem to provoke a negative reaction from people. :daydreaming: I might enjoy a good brawl now and then, but it's always, "oh cool! A dude dressed like a chick! Rock on!"

I lived in the closet once. Looking back now, I don't think I ever had a good reason for it. I don't even think there was fear involved, really, because I can usually put a name to things that scare me. No, it was more that I used to care what other people thought.

I think the turning point was simply this: one day, my GiveAShit broke.

Ummm, well, so true. I mean, you do rock, Dudette. It is so effin hard to find parts for a broken GiveAShit anymore, too. The last time I even saw an FU valve was at a flea market about 8 years ago. I should've bought it. Now they're just made in Taiwan out of salvaged Don'tGiveADamn units.

Hugs...Joni Mari

trannie T
07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Those who only know my male side think I'm a little unconventional. Those who know that I dress know I'm a little unconventional. Most of my reticence about creeping out of the closet is purely by force of habit, there are few other reasons to hide.

Angie G
07-04-2009, 08:04 PM
One has to do what one has to do to get by in this world.That is something different for all off us what works for one maynot work for the other. If yous works in Neverland it may not work in Mayberry.:hugs:
Angie