PDA

View Full Version : Am I schizophrenic because I can change my voice? HELP!

mortiis32
07-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone...

This is something that i have been able to do since i was five or six years of age. I'm 32 (almost 33), and have always been able to produce an EXTREMELY female voice which is extraordinarily convincing and has fooled many people in the past.
I have even fooled family members by answering the phone in the female voice.
(Who was that sexy sounding woman who answered your phone! etc).

My mother and brother are the only two who have ever actually seen me transition my voice on the spot, and they both seem to think that it's a complete other person slipping out of my body.
I sometimes have to agree, my manerisms and demeaner changes along with my (naturally very deep) voice. I don't know where the feminine voice comes from, I don't know how I am able to do it so well, but I can.

I'm afraid though - Is this normal to be able to do this? I mean I have been doing it for over twentyfive years now, and it's only gotten better and more convincing with age, to tell you the honest truth.

If I had a mic I would record some of it, but I would not know how to post files such as wav. or mp3. on this fourm.

My mother and brother both agree that it's either a split personality, or a woman who I possibly was in a 'previous life' kind of deal ...

I'm scared - HELP!

Violetgray
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
If this is legit, then it's a talent, not a mental disorder.

mortiis32
07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
It is legit indeed, I've always had no trouble doing it, have never really 'practiced' it so to speak, it's always just come naturally. I have the ability to close off the male half of my voice and just speak naturally as a woman with no fuss what so ever.
I guess it will come in handy when I crossdress finally and go out in public!
X

Mirani
07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
If you do it - then its "normal" for you. That's all that matters. Enjoy your gift.

and as they say, practice makes perfect and you have been going this nearly all your life.

Not sure what there is to be frightened of. We don't have to own other peoples views.

Your mother and brother are only expressing opinions .. based on what?

It needs a psychiatrist to diagnose schizophrenia. Are either of them qualified?

And what if you are someone with a previous life (I don't hold to that belief personally)? If it was your previous life it was YOU! No need to be afraid of yourself. Otherwise we end up afraid of our own shadows.

Embrace the gift and use it wisely. Then you will enjoy a facet of femininity denied to the majority. See it as a blessing, not a curse.

mortiis32
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
If you do it - then its "normal" for you. That's all that matters. Enjoy your gift.

and as they say, practice makes perfect and you have been going this nearly all your life.

Not sure what there is to be frightened of. We don't have to own other peoples views.

Your mother and brother are only expressing opinions .. based on what?

It needs a psychiatrist to diagnose schizophrenia. Are either of them qualified?

And what if you are someone with a previous life (I don't hold to that belief personally)? If it was your previous life it was YOU! No need to be afraid of yourself. Otherwise we end up afraid of our own shadows.

Embrace the gift and use it wisely. Then you will enjoy a facet of femininity denied to the majority. See it as a blessing, not a curse.

Mirani,
thank you so much, those are some true words of wisdom, if ever I saw some!

The thing is - I have been seen by a psychologist, diagnosed as Post traumatic Stress disorder and depression, but not schizophrenia.
The PTSD stems from 5 years of child sexual abuse at the hands of my father, and that also has made me exstensively afraid of males.

You are right - if it is in me, it is in me. That is all I need to be concerned about. I don't really believe that it is past life, but if it was then it is still me.
xxx

TGMarla
07-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Is this normal to be able to do this?
No. You're just gifted in this way. Stop letting it play with your head and just enjoy it. Stop reading deep and dark otherworldly things into it.

There's a ball player who can make his voice sound like a train whistle. It's very odd, it does sound like a train, and people shouldn't be able to make that sound. But he does.

You're just gifted, that's all.

mortiis32
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
No. You're just gifted in this way. Stop letting it play with your head and just enjoy it. Stop reading deep and dark otherworldly things into it.

There's a ball player who can make his voice sound like a train whistle. It's very odd, it does sound like a train, and people shouldn't be able to make that sound. But he does.

You're just gifted, that's all.

Marla,
thank you! I guess that I am always on the darker otherworldly frame of thought, so that was my first concern. Doig some deeper, more cognitive thinking though, has bought me to the place where I need to be emotionally where I just have to enjoy what I have, you know?

X

joann426
07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
i just wish i could do the same as you it is very normal to do that be proud of what you can do and let it all out and have fun while you can

mortiis32
07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
i just wish i could do the same as you it is very normal to do that be proud of what you can do and let it all out and have fun while you can

Joann, I would be happy to perhaps guide you through some of the things that I have done in the past, if you'd be interested in learning how to do this also? It really was easy for me, and if I can do it - anyone can!

trannie T
07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Because you are able to change your voice does not mean you are crazy. If you hear voices in your head or have hallucinations you may be crazy. If you spend a week only speaking in your Donald Duck voice you are crazy. If you speak in your Donald Duck voice while wearing a Donald Trump wig you belong in the Home for Strange People.

Xenia
07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
No need to invoke any fancy psychological, metaphysical, or supernatural explanations; you've just got an unusually flexible set of vocal cords. Sounds like a gift a lot of us here would love to have!

(Also, the anal retentivist in me feels compelled to point out that schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are two entirely different things.....neither one of which you seem likely to have.)

Jodi
07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Rich Little, the impressionist, can change his voice at will to match any vocal qualitythat he wants, man or woman. He isn't crazy. he is talented.

Jodi

paulaN
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Your avatar is pretty and you say you can do a sexy girl voice too. Wow!!!!! I'd say you are a very lucky girl. Talent and good looks. Go girl Go

dilane
07-07-2009, 08:02 PM
No, but it's understandably a bit unsettling.

I remember when I once switched into femme voice mode at work to imitate a co-worker, the two people in my office just sat there staring at me with their jaws dropped :)

It's a coordinated thing, the voice, facial expressions, gestures, etc, all switch over at once for me. For me, I think the femme-mode was kind of built-in and just needed to be unlocked.

When you start going out and about, if you can just get close visually, the voice can push you over the top in terms of passability.

Jessica Who
07-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't think so at all, there are several actors that do voice overs in cartoons and many of them have a lot of different voices.

The sons in Oblongs, Simpsons and King of the Hill are all voiced by women :D

AlannahNorth
07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think there is any reason to be afraid of this, as a number of responders have already pointed out. There are some people who can do amazing things with their voices, and it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. I would love to be able to do this myself.

Another thing you mentioned was a change in mannerism and demeanor. Have you ever run across the term 'personna'? It's like another person's characteristics in you, and it can be switched on or off at will. I've worked with teaching adults, and I know that when I'm in my "instructor mode" that I behave and make decisions differently than I do normally. My voice changes, but only in that it is much more projected and clearer. Personnas can also be created at will with a bit of practice, and perhaps (for you) the voice change is so 'different', that you unknowingly put on a personna while using your female voice.

Nothing to be worried about - enjoy it!

Aubrey Green
07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Consider it a gift. I would love to be able to change my voice, preferrable more feminine, but alas my voice belies my height. I'm 5'8", but I have a Sam Elliott voice without the southern accent. Much too deep for my own good!
:daydreaming:

michellebesweet
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I think that is wonderful, what you can do. It is a gift. We all wish we had your gift to have a wonderful voice, or two wonderful voices. Be Blessed.

Rachel Morley
07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
If you really can do this at will, then it's a rare and special gift, especially in the TG community. Do you know how many girls on this site would love to be able to do what you say you can do?

Don't worry about a thing, enjoy being lucky :)

kellycan27
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
People used to say I was crazy, but I finally figured out that they were just jealous because the little voices spoke to me instead of them.:roflmao:

Nicole Erin
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
people have talents, and for you, having a femme voice on demand is yours.

Some of us really have to work at it, but it is OK...

Nothing to worry about though, I was kind of nervous the first time I figured out I was able to sneeze and fart at the same time but I guess that is normal too.

Carrie R
07-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Consider yourself lucky. I can do Marvin the Martian, and that's about it.
Ooh, that makes me angry. Very angry indeed.

Lisa Golightly
07-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Peter Sellers used to do it all the time with a character voice... Cynthia was it? Used to appear quite often in the Goons and in his own material and was very convincing...

I find who I'm with has a tremendous influence on how I talk :angel:

PaulaJaneThomas
07-08-2009, 02:15 AM
The gift to do a convincingly female voice is one which most of us envy. When I try, it sounds like a malfunctioning foghorn.

mortiis32
07-08-2009, 02:22 AM
ALL of you are very supportive, helpful and full of ideas. Sorry if my spelling is a bit off tonight (I've had a few glasses!).

Anyhow, I am very suprized at how convincing I can be, it sometimes shocks and astounds me.

Again, if anyone needs some help finding their voice (I believe that we all have one inside somewhere, just a case of finding it), I would love to help in any way trhat I can!

Hope
07-08-2009, 02:41 AM
The way the human voice works involves 2 separate sets of muscles, one controls the high end, one controls the low end. During puberty, the male mechanism changes to favor the use of the muscles coordinating the lower frequencies. This does not happen in women, so women retain their higher pitched voices. The key is to realize that men still have those muscles that coordinate the higher pitches - it is just that those muscles are no longer dominant.

You have found a way to have more direct control over your vocal apparatus than most people. That does not make you a freak, and it certainly does not mean that you suffer from any type of mental illness, it simply means that you are gifted. Various people can do all sorts of strange and unusual things with their bodies. This is yours. Congratulations. Stop gloating.

For the record - even if you were mentally ill, the disorder you describe is known as Dissociative Identity Disorder, and generally involves extended periods of blackouts where you (as the dominant personality) would not remember what you had done while one of the other personalities had been in control of your body. Also, generally the switching of personalities is done without conscious control. The fact that you both control when you use this voice and remember using it indicates that you are not suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder. Also, DID is so extraordinarily rare that many professionals debate whether or not it is a real condition.

Schizophrenia, in contrast is marked most significantly by hallucinations, both auditory and/or visual (most often unfriendly hallucinations) and the inability to distinguish one's own inner dialogue from external dialogue. Typically this is defined as "hearing voices," or people will be described as "talking to people who aren't there." Another characteristic that distinguishes schizophrenia from DID is that schizophrenia is the single most common mental illness. Boo.

carolinewalker_2000
07-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Don't woory about it; just be grateful you can produce a female voice without having to try. Many of us would love to have your talent!!

Gerard
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Lot's of people are able to change their voice in various ways, like stand up comedians and actors. Some have a talent for it, just like others do for tennis or swimming.

I'd say it's maybe a bit unusual, but not more than someone who can put their feet behind their head or perform some other body manoeuvre that is slightly outside the norm.

With training there seem to be plenty TS/TG women who can also do it plenty of evidence on the net, and maybe even on this forum.

Enjoy it for the occasional prank, or make a career out of it as stand up comedian.

DemonicDaughter
07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Were this true then just call me Sybil. Though I'm a GG, changing my voice has been something I've loved doing since a child. Name an accent, I can mimic it on the spot. So much so that I can fool/shock someone with the same accent! All my friends and family have remarked on it.

And it goes beyond just accents. Its tone, mannerisms, etc. I've done it from an extremely young age. I have a three octave range and can easily sound like a completely different person.

I would say you are no stranger than I am for it, but that's not going to be very comforting. :heehee:

Sally2005
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
You got the voice...but can you dress the part (do you desire it)? You are not ill. You just learned it sometime when you were young and you keep practicing it until you are better. If you watch any impersonator they also do the body movements as well as the voice. You must move your body in a certain way to make certain sounds and voice is only one part of communication so the appropriate movements will improve the quality of your message to the person who is listening.

gennee
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I have known people who can change their voice and it's natural to them.

Gennee
:)

DonnaT
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
One of the best natural voice changes is by Grae Phillips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnFj7h1cTXA)

Joni Marie Cruz
07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Donna-

What Hope and several of the other girls have said. You have a talent and a very useful one for a tgirl. Oh, and if that's you in your avatar AND you can do a perfect girl voice, then I hate you. Oh just kidding. I wish I had your ablity.

Hugs...Joni Mari

TJ Tresa
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't think it is a medical disorder. I can't do a female voice but I can do donald duck which the kids love.

suchacutie
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Is that we are all so jealous of that ability you have!!!!

I've been working on subdueing my bass resonance for about a year now and it's been quite a struggle. I have a hunch that it is easier to learn to do this before puberty and since you've had a long history with it you simply developed two voices.

A beautiful voice with that lovely avatar and it seems you could be anyone you'd desire to be!

The rest of us will just have to keep working at it!!!

:)

tina

Teri Jean
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Donna, it is like the person who is double jointed. Bad analogy. But the fact that you can do this is something many would like to do and that is not something to be ashamed of. I want you to google Grae Wilson and listen to him speak and sing. Although his male voice is not that deep you will hear a wonderful singing voice.

Huggs girl, you also look great. Keli

jo_ann
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
A. Very jealous
B. Your avatar is very cute, perhaps god gave you all the goods to flip back and forth
C. Seriously... I MUST hear this voice...it's really not that hard:

Download audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Record your voice (perhaps as both to compare the difference), save as (wav is fine), then upload here:
http://drop.io

It's probably not unlike this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-CS2v8wcc

There's no need to register, just make up a url (http://drop.io/iliketocrossdress), whatever. Make sure you don't password protect it, then post a link here to it

LaSirenaBella
07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
If this is legit, then it's a talent, not a mental disorder.

Schizophrenia is a completely different animal!

This just sounds like an interesting skill.

Trust me. I work in the mental health field. :)

Jeanna
07-10-2009, 05:01 AM
You are fortunate to have that skill.It is a skill and that's all it is. I would certainly like to know how you do it!
Jeanna:love:

Claire Cook
07-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Donna, Indeed you have a rare gift. Many of us worry that our male voices will give us away, and I'm sure would be grrateful for any advice.

You certainly needn't worry about going out and about! Love your avatar pic.

Marcy_in_hose
07-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I've always had a rather high voice. When I call places for random things the people on the other end usually say "How can we help you, mam?"

I used to be annoyed by it when I was younger because I was teased for it, but now that I am finding my femme side I embrace it!

gailgirl9
07-12-2009, 01:08 AM
you are sooo lucky!

Samantha Kelsey
07-12-2009, 01:32 AM
If this is schitzofrenic then I wish I was too!