PDA

View Full Version : How many of us wear pink? (FtM only. Duh.)

Ze
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Just curious, 'cause I know I don't. I'm always worried that wearing pink will automatically make people wise to me; that they'll just "know." Yeah, it's stupid, you can say it.

So I was wondering how many of us here are man enough to wear pink. You know, pink polo shirts, dress shirts, ties, etc made especially for men.

And since we're on the subject, I just wanted to give some useless information:

Pink for girls and blue for boys used to be the reverse. Pink was for boys because it was a diluted red, which stood for blood, war, Mars, etc. Blue represented the Virgin Mary.

The switch happened when it was later believed that the color blue warded off evil spirits that specifically preyed on babies. So, naturally (*shakes head*), parents began to swaddle baby boys in blue, while the girls got the rejected pink.

So...yeah.

Thornton
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I never knew that last bit....kinda sucky, that girls would always get the short end of the stick, but...I guess it makes me feel better about this pink room my mom painted when i was little...

No, I am not man enough to wear pink, unfortunately. I used to consciously reject pink, because I wanted to stay as far away from anything perceived feminine as possible. Now, that I am confident in my gender and passing abilities, it's not that I mind pink, it just never finds its way into my wardrobe, which pretty much consists of jeans and rock t-shirts. Show me a death-metal band selling pink t-shirts, and I might consider buying one.

4serrus
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a pair of novelty socks with pink skulls on it. I'm ironically punk like that.

I'm not really a fan of the whole reds spectrum in general.

Punkster
07-31-2009, 07:24 AM
I have a massive problem with pink and tend to avoid it like the plague. Not so much that I don't feel man enough to wear it but because my parents shoved it down my throat when I was a kid so it kinda makes me angry. However, I am being incredibly camp lately so pink may even make it into my wardrobe after all....or er perhaps not lol. Maybe when I get over the whole anger thing I might just relax about it.

SirTrey
07-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Pink would definitely not be My color.....and it's one of My least favorite, as well....I also don't like yellow, orange, etc. I am not a fan of bright colors at all..My wardrobe tends to consist of dark, earthy colors (including My dress clothes)....I do have one salmon-colored tie, though.....I bought it because it looks good with a black dress shirt I have....but I have a lot of ties, so it doesn't get a lot of wear...there are ones that I like better and wear more often.

brylram
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
I like to wear light pink stuff... the darker and/or brighter stuff bugs my eyes.

It also doesn't hurt that my girlfriend likes exactly the same shades of pink on me as I do. :P

EDIT: For some reason I feel like adding, that I like it most on my underwear and t-shirts. That is all.

metalguy639
08-01-2009, 02:19 AM
EDIT: For some reason I feel like adding, that I like it most on my underwear and t-shirts. That is all.

LOL have some laundry problems recently? That is usually the only time I ended up with pink underwear myself. :)

I'm not a huge fan of pink, its not that I think I'll be made I just plain do not like the color. I've always liked darker colors personally.

DanielMacBride
08-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Not a fan of pink here either, don't own a single pink item in my wardrobe and not likely to at any point. I used to have a LOT of pink items when I was in girl mode (the wonders of denial LOL) and pink just makes me shudder when I see it now. I do like colours though - I tend to have mostly black or darker colours for my basic wardrobe, but with brighter coloured accents (think t-shirts, ties, that sort of thing). Being a fibre artist though I tend to like just about every other colour BUT pink (even pink on girls tends to make me cringe, usually because the girls I see wearing it are either REALLY girly, or little babydykes trying to be ubercool).

Meh, cynic, much? ;)

Felix
08-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Hmmmmm why do people automatically relate pink to bein CAMP or indeed GAY!!!! Once again a little box that society has created and so people automatically think of pink as camp or gay. I personally am man enough to wear pink why the hell not my son even professed to like pink as a fav colour not so long ago and there is nothing camp about him!!!!! I did have all the girlie colours shoved down my throat as a child but only wore the ones I felt comfortable in pink did occasionally raise its head. When I was pregnant with both my sons I wore pink and enjoyed wearing it too :) I like to see other men in pink especially when they are tanned its very becoming:) There is far too much over emphasis on what denoted masculine and feminine in todays society, no wonder peeps worry so much about what they should wear instead of what they feel comfortable in, as opposed to what other peeps think of what they are wearing and how it reflects not only on their masculinity or femininity but also there sexuality.

Recently I have gone away from my all black wardrobe and I do not think this means I am less manly. In fact I have not had any problems with peeps referring to me as anything other than 'MATE'. I am also now wearin vests a lot for the gym and out door wear even though I have not had chest surgery yet and again no problems as such :) xx Felix

brylram
08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
LOL have some laundry problems recently? That is usually the only time I ended up with pink underwear myself.

Aha, nah... I actually TRIED once to make a white wife-beater pink by putting it with a load of red stuff, but there was only cold wash detergent, so no luck. :P

I like lighter colours because my hair and eyes are so dark, and my skin colour has darkened since I went on T, so I'm not so pale as I once was. I really like dark colours when I'm going for a more severe or aggressive look, but even then I go with very dark blues or browns rather than actual black. Really dark, almost-black shades have a neat pop to them, whereas straight black is often boring, and always looks either snooty, teenage, or like the person thinks they're fat... unless it's a suit or a fancy dress anyway.

DanielMacBride
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Hmmmmm why do people automatically relate pink to bein CAMP or indeed GAY!!!! Once again a little box that society has created and so people automatically think of pink as camp or gay. I personally am man enough to wear pink why the hell not my son even professed to like pink as a fav colour not so long ago and there is nothing camp about him!!!!! I did have all the girlie colours shoved down my throat as a child but only wore the ones I felt comfortable in pink did occasionally raise its head. When I was pregnant with both my sons I wore pink and enjoyed wearing it too :) I like to see other men in pink especially when they are tanned its very becoming:) There is far too much over emphasis on what denoted masculine and feminine in todays society, no wonder peeps worry so much about what they should wear instead of what they feel comfortable in, as opposed to what other peeps think of what they are wearing and how it reflects not only on their masculinity or femininity but also there sexuality.

Recently I have gone away from my all black wardrobe and I do not think this means I am less manly. In fact I have not had any problems with peeps referring to me as anything other than 'MATE'. I am also now wearin vests a lot for the gym and out door wear even though I have not had chest surgery yet and again no problems as such :) xx Felix

I agree, Felix - people are often quick to label a man who wears pink, with no solid reason. It is a sad reflection on society as a whole when people tend to automatically think pink = feminine/gay/girly/less than a man, or whatever else they want to label it as. And I agree with your point that on some guys (particularly tanned ones) pink can look very good.

But some of us who choose not to wear pink don't do that because of fear of being seen as less "manly" (whatever THAT means lol) - I personally just don't like the colour itself. I like red hues and just about any other colour, but just can't stand pink. Ethan has a favourite lolly pink dress and rain boots that he likes to wear a lot (and he is about as "typical" boy as you could get, NOTHING camp about him lol), and he often chooses pink things when I buy him stuff, and I have no issue with this because that's his choice and he LIKES pink - but I personally just don't particularly like the colour and it doesn't do me any favours. I have a lot of black in my wardrobe (largely for practical reasons, but I also have darker earthy tones like brown, charcoal and navy) but I like to set it off with the brighter colours like red, blue, green or whatever else I feel like at the time :)

metalguy639
08-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Aha, nah... I actually TRIED once to make a white wife-beater pink by putting it with a load of red stuff, but there was only cold wash detergent, so no luck. :P

I like lighter colours because my hair and eyes are so dark, and my skin colour has darkened since I went on T, so I'm not so pale as I once was. I really like dark colours when I'm going for a more severe or aggressive look, but even then I go with very dark blues or browns rather than actual black. Really dark, almost-black shades have a neat pop to them, whereas straight black is often boring, and always looks either snooty, teenage, or like the person thinks they're fat... unless it's a suit or a fancy dress anyway.

LOL that's true the lighter colors most likely do look better on you. My sister/roomate is dark haired like you ad she looks better in lighter colors i think. I'm lighter so the dark ones do ok for me.

I agree, Felix - people are often quick to label a man who wears pink, with no solid reason. It is a sad reflection on society as a whole when people tend to automatically think pink = feminine/gay/girly/less than a man, or whatever else they want to label it as. And I agree with your point that on some guys (particularly tanned ones) pink can look very good.

But some of us who choose not to wear pink don't do that because of fear of being seen as less "manly" (whatever THAT means lol) - I personally just don't like the colour itself. I like red hues and just about any other colour, but just can't stand pink. Ethan has a favourite lolly pink dress and rain boots that he likes to wear a lot (and he is about as "typical" boy as you could get, NOTHING camp about him lol), and he often chooses pink things when I buy him stuff, and I have no issue with this because that's his choice and he LIKES pink - but I personally just don't particularly like the colour and it doesn't do me any favours. I have a lot of black in my wardrobe (largely for practical reasons, but I also have darker earthy tones like brown, charcoal and navy) but I like to set it off with the brighter colours like red, blue, green or whatever else I feel like at the time :)

same here I agree with both of you. It does not mean you are less manly IMO, but personally I just hate the color.

crazy4cheezeits
10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I love pink, in all shades. I tend to wear light pink and not dark pink, just because I'm rather boring with how I dress and light pink makes less of a statement.

Angel21
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
the only things i do wear is pink socks i dont mind wearing them cos no body really sees them

Angel

Ze
10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna derail my own thread a moment and say hi to both Angel and crazy. :wave: So hi. :)

crazy4cheezeits
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Why hello, Ze! :)

I also love the song White & Nerdy!

Angel21
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Ze

Leo Lane
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I hated pink when I was little -- it was the symbol of everything girly that I rejected. Now, though, I have a couple of pink T-shirts and a pink sweatshirt, and I wear them occasionally. Real men wear pink!