PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got! :D

kerrianna
07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Ahem!............

See what's circled there? :GD:

The picture on it is horrible, of course - it being a driver's license - but it's still wayyyyy better than the last one! :D

The day I had it done turned out to be a very emotional day for me, because when I first went, armed with a letter from my gender therapist, they turned me away because she had neglected a key sentence. I broke down in tears in the parking lot, then the wind blew all my papers over the parking lot and then I realized I had locked my keys in the car.
It was like a dam bursting.
All the pent up emotion of transitioning, of officially changing my name, going fulltime officially and informing everyone I know, all the love and acceptance, all the joy, all the confusions, all the mistakes, all the successes.... it just washed over me all at once in that moment of distress.

And then I had to go to work.
Fortunately I use waterproof mascara, because as one of my friends told me, "there will be tears."
At work I saw a fax from my gender therapist who was responding to a very teary message I left her. She had amended her letter. I had just enough time to change back into my nice clothes and race down to the motor vehicle branch before they closed for the weekend.

This time it went smoothly and before I knew it they were telling me to stand in front of the camera.
In the picture you can see the residue of sadness in my face, which is unfortunate because that's so not me these days.

I have never felt happier or more alive than I do now. :)

The DL arrived on a day when I was devastated because my hairpiece had gotten badly tangled when I washed it too carelessly and lost some of the beautiful flirty bangs. Watching hair that you know won't grow back fall out is a sickening feeling.

But I'm still passing okay with my more ratty hair, lol, so that's the most important thing. I knew long ago that I would never be as glamorous and pretty as some of the girls here.
Just being myself, truly myself, is enough. More than enough.

TJ Tresa
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I assume that congradulations are in order so here it is CONGRDULATIONS you go girl.

Miranda09
07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey...congrats Kerrianna. :)

Carole Cross
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Congrats Kerrianna. :hugs:

pamela_a
07-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Congratulations girl.. I'm happy for you

-Pam-

Zenith
07-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Yays for you!

:hugs:

GypsyKaren
07-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Ah yes, you just can't beat getting that little old "F", now can you? I know how happy you feel because I sure cried when I got mine.:hugs:

Karen :wheelchair:

Lisa Golightly
07-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Awwwwwwwww :) x

Sharon
07-10-2009, 04:03 AM
I am sooooo happy for you, Kerrianna! :hugs:

Sigh..., no agency even remotely related to my state and federal governments will grant me my "F" without proof of surgery. I'm happy yours is more understanding. :)

Sheila
07-10-2009, 04:10 AM
:w00t: Congratulations

Veronica_Jean
07-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Congratulations!!
:cheer::cheer:

Isn't it strange how when everything is falling apart, you still manage to get the job done.

Veronica

Rifkinn
07-10-2009, 06:44 AM
a big congrats!:thumbsup:

MJ
07-10-2009, 07:38 AM
congrats Kerrianna :hugs:

Leanne2
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Way to go Kerrianna! I used to hate getting Fs in school but now they are great. My first one was free. A few years ago I had to enclose my picture when I renewed my FOID ( gun ) card. On a whim I sent in a picture of me dressed and made up. Not only did they use the picture but they changed the M to an F. I was thrilled. Isn't it great! Leanne

Kaitlyn Michele
07-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Good for you and that's a great story!! It's funny how sometimes it can seem like everybody and everything is against you, but then it works out in the end...

Frances
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Congratulations
Quebec will unfortunately not allow the sexual designation to change without SRS. Does your passport show the same thing?

kerrianna
07-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks everyone! I am chuffed still! :GD:

Frances, I heard that about Quebec. :sad:
No, I can't change my passport or my birth certificate without proof of surgery - I read recently that it doesn't have to be SRS itself, there are other surgeries that will suffice, like an orchi I guess? (I hate that you have to risk your physical well being to 'prove' you are female. Surgeries are electives for us. We shouldn't feel pushed into having them just to satisfy the legal bean counters - end of rant).
I did try to pull a fast one when I applied for a new Birth Certificate with my new name. I put down Female as the gender on the original birth certificate, in the hopes some overworked beauracrat would just keep that on the new one.
Of course I got a letter a week later saying I had never been born.
So I had to correct my little 'mistake'.
I was just trying to correct Someone Else's mistake in the first place.

Thanks, Michele. :) Yeah, sometimes it's worth more because you had to fight for it.
Leanne, that's great you got that F on your gun card, hehehe. Yeah, I was thinking how "I got an "F" " has a totally different meaning now!
Thanks MJ! Glad to see you doing so well for yourself too.
Thank you Riffkin, and Veronica. Yes, it couldn't be easy, could it?
Thanks Shiela!
Sharon, I truly hope your own country makes leaps and bounds in trans rights and transitioning laws. Some places are downright archaic from what I've heard.
Hi Lisa! I was just skimming your journal. You look lovely as ever! :hugs:
Hi Karen, miss you. I remember some of your firsts, and back then I would think "aww, I'll never be able to do that!" But, it just happens when you decide to live in truth and love yourself properly. :)
Zenith, Pam, Carole, Miranda, TJ... thank you all so much! :hugs::love:

Diane24
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
That is the one time that getting an "F" doesn't mean a Failure!

I remember when I got my new license with an F instead of an M. Fortunately, my day at the DMV was no where near the catastrophe you had to put up with! My only problem was the seemingly endless wait to get called up to the window!

All the milestones of your transition will remain with you. Honestly... someday you will look back on the horrible time you spent that day before you finally got your "F" and have a good laugh!!!

Love,
Diane

Sheila
07-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Just being myself, truly myself, is enough. More than enough.

jusr re-read your originalpoat and dang why did I miss "seeing" those words, they are, simply put, beautiful :)

Rifkinn
07-12-2009, 07:58 AM
This month I found out I'm lucky 2 different ways in Indiana. I can get my drivers license changed from m to F with just a letter from my doctor. So, a name change and that letter and I can at least have my drivers license looking right :^)

Also, I was looking at my copy of my birth certificate and it doesn't have my gender on it, it was issued before the changes made in 2006 that required it on there.

Suzy Harrison
07-12-2009, 09:58 AM
My hearfelt congratulations Kerrianna :love:

Isn't it wonderful when all of your identity documents indicate you're female, with your wonderful female name proudly on display !

I know it's a long road with many upsets on the way, but you are getting there and living the dream.

:hugs: Suzy

PS: Here in Western Australia the gender isn't specified on the driving licences, so all I have on mine is a female face and my female name. But SRS is required for the F in a passport.

TxKimberly
07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Awe, congrats!

Patricia1
07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
All right, pull over & show me your license. Wow, that's terrific stuff!

Paula Thomas
07-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Kerrianna - Congratulations :bighug:

FYI - If your driver's license picture actually looks like you, the police will believe it is fake.

SirTrey
07-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Congrats, Kerianna.....So happy to hear that....I have to wait until I get My chest surgery to get Mine changed in Ohio.....but am patiently trying to wait...I know how much that means to you and I am really happy for you.....:hugs:

Holly
07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm very happy for you, Kerrianna. You perseverance in being true to yourself is paying off.

LisaM
07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Congrats, Kerrianna!!!:)

StevieTV
07-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Congratulations!!! Don't worry about the picture. The only persons who will see it are you and cop the pulls you over. I'm pretty sure you won't be smiling at that point.
I am sooo jealous of your "F".

kerrianna
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Diane, it is definitely an "F" for Fantabulous! not failure.:D
Yes, the milestones are definitely creating huge ripples of memory that will carry well into my future. My hassles have actually been few and fairly minor, for which I feel blessed, and am extremely grateful.

Thank you Sheila. :)
Some days I have to remind myself of those words.

Yay Rifkinn! That's so cool Indiana will let you do that. I know many states force surgery requirements on people. Good luck with the new birth certificate, getting the gender marker correct. :thumbsup:

Thank you Suzy! Yes, it's so wonderful, in some ways almost surreal. It does make all the struggles and bad days worthwhile. :hugs:

Thanks Kimberly! Nice to see ya! :hugs:

Haha Patricia, I'm already trying to find reasons to show it to people. :p Thanks. :)

:heehee: Paula, that makes me feel better. Thank you!

Thank you Trey, that's sweet. :)
I hope you can sail your way smoothly (and soonly) to your very own "M".
You're looking smokin' too by the way, mister. :battingeyelashes:

Aww, thanks Holly. I miss you. :hugs:

Thank you Lisa!

Thanks Stevie, I hope you get an "F" one day, and not on a term paper or anything. Yeah, well when I get pulled over is exactly when I WILL be smiling, and batting my eyelashes, and crying, and doing whatever else it takes to talk him out of it. I know, pretty bad, eh? And I call myself a feminist. :p

akaCathy
07-13-2009, 08:21 PM
HUZZAH! Well done, ma'am.

Hugs,

Cate

gerdani8
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I recently found this item of interest. Altho my kids and grandkids, all live in MASS, I'm not sure if I would want to move back there. At age 62, I don't handle the cold weather as well as I used to. But still...

MA RMV changes policy on changing gender markers
January 26th, 2009 The Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) is pleased to announce that the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles has amended its policy regarding changing gender markers on state issued identification such as driver’s licenses or Massachusetts ID.
The new policy requires a person who wishes to change the gender marker on their state issued identification to submit an updated application together with a Gender Designation Change Form, signed by him or her and a medical provider attesting to the gender that the individual considers himself or herself to be. The policy no longer requires a person to submit medical proof of sex reassignment surgery or an amended birth certificate. The next edition of the Registry of Motor Vehicles Driver’s Manual will reflect the agency’s policy amendments.
In the coming weeks, MTPC will provide a comprehensive “how to” guide for changing gender marker that reflects this new policy as well as the requirements of other State and Federal agencies.
MTPC has been working collaboratively with Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), MassEquality and Representative Carl Sciortino advocating for this policy change with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Siobhan Marie
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Congratulations kerri, you go girl :love: :hugs::hugs::hugs: