PDA

View Full Version : Military Physical Exam Disaster - Part 2

Kathi Lake
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
First, if you haven't already, you may want to read part 1 of this story, found here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109373). Go ahead. I'll wait.

Hmmmm hmmmm hmmm.

. . .

. . .

OK, are you back? Good. Now you know the beginning. Buckle up for what I hope is the end.

I had my Reserve weekend this weekend. Just like last month, I was briefing my troops on their appointments for the day. I saw my name on the list under physical exam. My mind immediately thought the worst, "Oh crap! The Doc turned me in! Well, at least I won't be going to the sandbox again. Oh crap! I just did my toes again Thursday." (OPI Argenteeny Pinkini - very cute!).

I made sure my people got the jets ready for the first flight and off to the hospital I went. I collected my medical record at the reception area and the sheet telling me which stations to go to. I needed to go to the lab for bloodwork (AIDS screening?!) and see the Doc. I trudged to the lab first. Now, in the military, we do get yearly AIDS screenings. Maybe because we deploy to places that aren't exactly, . . . savory - Thailand, Denmark and other places which have hot and cold running prostitutes - and they want to be sure. Still, I had had mine done during my normal physical in February. I was obviously feeling busted. The lab tech took my blood sample and I was off to wait on the Doc. I remembered him telling me that he was retiring soon, and had kind of hoped that he was already gone. Many many thoughts were rushing through my head - was this the end of my military career? Would they let the people in my unit know? My wife? So many thoughts were going through that I didn't hear them call my name.

I was walked down the hall by a very cute med tech ("Dead man walking" was on my mind, for some reason :)) and ushered into an exam room. I was told to leave my uniform on and that the Doc would see me soon. Was she smiling strangely as she said that? Does she know too? I waited for about three minutes, with my heart hammering away and after a knock on the door, in walks the old Colonel - the original doctor. I started to get up, but he waved me down. "I suppose you're wondering why I called you back" he said. I squeaked out a grunt that sounded something like "yeah." He paused for about 20 seconds and said, "Tell you what. while we are in this room, I am your doctor and you are my patient. I am not a colonel. In fact, we're really not in the military, OK?" "OK" I cautiously said. "Since we're not in the military," he continued, "let's do away with the whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" nonsense." He saw that I was starting to get upset and told me that it was OK. I wanted to blurt out that I wasn't gay, but he said "Let me show you something" and pulled his wallet out of his pocket. He fished out a picture and said "This is Melody, my daughter." I said that she was beautiful, which was an understatement. The happiness I saw coming out of the picture was almost physical. "She's gorgeous" I said. "Yes" he said, "She was. She passed away almost 10 years ago." I said I was sorry. He said "Last month, when we did your physical, I think you'll agree that what we saw was a bit outside the norm for a male. I'm not just talking about your toenails, but your eyebrows, the lack of hair and your general feminine appearance. It kind of troubled me." By this time, I was pretty much in tears (as I am now writing this). He told me to let him finish and again told me to calm down. He said, "I really don't concern myself much with that. That really doesn't phase me. I'm concerned, because you remind me so much of my daughter, Melody. What you've done to your body to fit in to where you think you belong is just what she did in the early years." I was looking a bit confused at this point. He said, "Let me explain. Melody, my daughter, started out as Michael, my son. She went through the same things you did at the beginning. She eventually started her transition, but not before AIDS took her away from her mother and I. That's why I'm so concerned for you. Forgive me for asking this, but are you using protection for each encounter?"

To say I was stunned was a bit of an understatement, obviously. Finally, it all became clear. He thought I was either gay or a transsexual. That's why the repeat visit and the AIDS test. My relief was immense. I eventually convinced him that I only dressed for fun, had never had a sexual encounter with anyone other than my wife, and was pretty darn straight. I think that he felt relief as well, after I finally convinced him. I was able to show him some pics on my iPhone of me dressed. He said I was beautiful - not as beautiful as his daughter (true dat!), but a beautiful woman just the same. He assured me that what was discussed in that room was in confidence - not only as Doctor-Patient, but as friends.

So, it looks like I dodged a serious bullet. It looks like I get to stay in and serve. I am feeling very, very relieved. Isn't this roller coaster ride called life as a crossdresser one of incredible ups and downs? Life is funny that way, isn't it?

Kathi

TheNewDanielle
07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Sweetheart I've been in the military for 12 years and I would never EVER expect to have something like that happen to me. Though it give's me a little faith that maybe there are some actual understanding Doc's in the military. I'm soooo happy for you though that everything worked out :).

Bernadina
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry, only read part II. Kind of got what happened in part I.

Wow was that ever a neat ending.

CD Susan
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Kathi, i am very happy that this all turned out so well for you. What do you think the odds are of having a military doctor who had a son that was also a transsexual. I am sure you are very relieved to know this doctor will out you and possibly ruin your military career.

Niya W
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Jaw dropping, head spinning. I guess it is a small world . I'd still be a bit freaked .

deja true
07-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Gee, Kath!

That story wasn't only a relief for you but a terrific uplift for all of us.

You met a military man who was a real mensch and a TG supporter, too.

His experience could have left him bitter, but, thanks be, he became empathetic.

I hope he passed along some of his humanity to his underlings before he retired.

I think you should stay in touch with him!

Congratulations! ... to you and to him!

SherriePall
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Kathi -- I was holding my breath as I read part II, waiting for the other shoe to fall. And as I read on, realizing what was transpiring, I could feel the tears welling up -- for the doctor's losing his daughter and for his compassion toward you. I guess this is one case where there is happiness that you weren't outed, yet some sadness because of the reason why the doctor understood.

RobertaM
07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow , this story has got to go into the top 10 list. Fantastic. Wow I felt your stress sitting there.

May I post this this story (names all removed) onto my local CD support group site?

Mistybtm
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
WOW all i can say is WOW

sandra-leigh
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
:love:

briannad
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Kathi, I was holding my breath reading it and just about passed out!!. Glad it worked out so well for you.

Marissa Mae
07-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Simply amazing... my jaw dropped reading this, my heart was going pretty quick as I read the story, and BAM! total plot twist! You were on the precipice of the rest of your life, and lady luck smiled!

Lorileah
07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
It's nice to know that the military medical corps still is like when I was in. I spent 2.5 years at Fitzsimons Medical Center as an enlisted 91T (they still have those I think). My first day there I saluted a Major, got scolded for saluting a doctor who didn't consider himself and officer and the next 2 plus years I enjoyed the "country club" atmosphere of the medical corps. (only saluted the General after that). I am sure that there are doctors (and nurses) who play the whole hierarchy game but most just want to take care of the troops. The higher in rank the more human they become.

I am glad this worked out like it did. The Colonel seems like a truly caring man. He will be missed after retirement. I am sorry about his daughter, that disease should never have been allowed the foothold it has now (won't go into politics), we have lost too many good friends.

OK one political rant, it is time for Don't ask don't tell to go away. Our military deserve that much

Shelby
07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
What was the Doctors reaction to what you told him and how did you tell him?

FionaO
07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Kathy,
I read your original story and was a little concerned about your career. What an amazing turn of events. Of all the docs you got this one. I think in some ways your encounter was good for him as well. Great story.
Fiona O

Joni Marie Cruz
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh, Kathi, I'm crying my eyes out. OMG. I have no idea what to say, usually I am never at a loss for some smartass remark but I am speechless. Tears are running down my cheeks. I so feel for your doc and for you as well, my dear. Crap, I can't stop crying.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Katie Moore
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
is what it is. I thought the same as everybody else. Thank you for serving.

:love:

Katie

Carola
07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Sometimes Murphy's Law worked on your side; not for me tough.

I'm really happy that all ended well.

Sharon
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow, Kathi, it's a very cool and unexpected story. :)

LisaM
07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Kathi,

Two thoughts ran through my head as I read your post. First, maybe there is really hope for us and the world is changing little by little. Second, my were you really lucky.

That was a terrific story.

Persephone
07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
:cheer: OMG Kathi! Through tears, I gotta say, you ride the big roller coasters, girl! Once you do retire, you so seriously need to write your memoirs. Should be good for at least 5 seasons on television!

Marcia Blue
07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Kathy,
My heart was in my throat while I read your Part II story. I was exhausted and elated when I got to the end. Thank God that you ran into a true soul caring, Doctor. My best and prayers to you and your unit.

Sam-antha
07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Now that doc was a for real man. I do feel for him and admire his honesty and feelings for you

Di
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Omg I was holding my breath reading your post and at the end a HUGE sigh of relief.
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::h ugs::hugs:

savvy_fudge
07-13-2009, 07:08 PM
All I can say is wow, not the reaction I'd expect from a colonel. Of course most of the ones I know are infantry or one of the other combat arms. :hugs:

Holly
07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Kathi, an amazing story. And you made a new friend! I hope the two of you stay in touch after his retirement.

steftoday
07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
wow Kathi. what a story... I hope that Colonel has a long, happy and healthy retirement.

good for you too!

TxKimberly
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Holy smokes! I wouldn't have seen THAT coming at all! What a trip . . .

Babette
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Kathi,

I read your first post a few weeks ago and have wondered ever since how it would develop. Thank you for putting our shared feelings of anxiety to rest.

I was utterly amazed after reading the update. First of all, I am happy for you. Secondly, your doctor's reaction has just raised my sentiments for medical professionals even higher.

Grant it, you were scared how this would end. Put yourself into his shoes and imagine how he felt bringing you back. Don't you suppose he had some internal struggles with this. It's obvious he valued you enough to express his concerns for you. He is the kind of person and doctor I want caring for me.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story of humanity.

Babette

Bobbi Lynn
07-13-2009, 08:00 PM
All I can say is...WOW! Like Kimberly, I did not see that coming. Good Luck if you go back to the "Sand Box" but, hope you don't have to.

julia ann
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Aw Kathi now you made me cry. What a great ending to possible disaster.

BeckiB
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
After almost 30 years in the military I thought I had heard it all but that caught me by surprise. Thank goodness the Doctors seem to keep themselves a little less indoctrinated than the rest of the military.

Samantha43
07-13-2009, 09:03 PM
WOW!!!

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Michelle I
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow, I was not expecting that ending, glad it turned out that great.

AlannahNorth
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
THAT is an amazing story, and I'm happy to hear it had a good ending.

PretzelGirl
07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Kathi, I am so relieved for you. And like the others, the emotions are flowing. It is interesting that you had this and your admin in such a short time and all is well. Sometimes the good people are blessed in their lives!

Tasha McIntyre
07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow , this story has got to go into the top 10 list. Fantastic. Wow I felt your stress sitting there.

Ditto. Great reading.

Kathi Lake
07-13-2009, 10:47 PM

May I post this this story (names all removed) onto my local CD support group site?Roberta, you may certainly post this (with any identifying identification removed, of course - just because I just dodged one bullet. It doesn't mean that I want another aimed at me quite so soon :))).

Oh, Kathi, I'm crying my eyes out. OMG. I have no idea what to say, usually I am never at a loss for some smartass remark but I am speechless. Tears are running down my cheeks. I so feel for your doc and for you as well, my dear. Crap, I can't stop crying.

Hugs...Joni MariJoni, I wanted to post this Saturday night after it happened, but I have been too much of a drippy mess and an emotional basket case until recently. Even now, the feelings I have for this guy are beyond belief. Were one of my children to go down the same path, I pray that I would handle it with the dignity and love that I felt from him. Though only about 15 years separate us, the fatherly concern I felt from him - the tenderness - was and is overwhelming. It kind of rekindles my faith in humanity.

:cheer: OMG Kathi! Through tears, I gotta say, you ride the big roller coasters, girl! Once you do retire, you so seriously need to write your memoirs. Should be good for at least 5 seasons on television!Ya know,I don't think my life has really been all that special. Yes, I do some strange things, and have been to some cool (and not so cool) places, but I feel that I'm kind a Joe (or Jane) six-pack. Of course, in my case, the six-pack is Coke, but, you know. :)

Thanks for all the well-wishes sent my way for my service. I have never felt really patriotic - I hate the flags flown from people's cars and other behavior I see as jingoistic, but I believe in our country - not no matter what or right or wrong, but overall. I kind of dial it down to this: I serve those who I love. My wife, my family, my friends - and those friends I haven't met yet. :)

Kathi

Teri Jean
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Kathi,
Now you have me in tears. Girl that is the most amazing follow up from a military Doc. I almost want to hug him, he really put himself out on the line by confiding his daughters transition. There are not many like him. I have a feeling you are still walking on three foot stilettos in a pink fog so dense it is hard to breath.
I think I can breath also, being past military I know your life must have been a cesspool of nerves. Congratulations and huggs.

Teri (Navy)

Aubrey Green
07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow, that is a truly terrific story. Sadly, he is retiring and the next Doc. you see might not be as understanding. Hopefully, he will know the difference, between your lifestyle fun and the don't ask, don't tell policy. I feel so bad for the Doc. and his loss.

bimini1
07-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Unfriggin' believable!!!! If I didn't know better I'd swear it was fiction but it just goes to show sometimes when we expect the worst, an angel can appear.
That is truly an amazing anecdote. I said it before and will say it again, "like" energies will find one another in the strangest ways.

TJ Tresa
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Well let me say this, it is good yo dodged the bullet; and very good that yo no longer have to worry, congradulations. Now with that said I would like to say thank you for serving and deffending our great country.

Zenith
07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
That is a very cool story...and wow...what a human being...(both of you)...weird...as I have been telling people...several have had one as a friend, known one, and one has one in their family...but they only share this when you admit you are...wish we could all be more open...:sad:

Sarah Doepner
07-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Kathi,
I wish you a continuation of this kind of life, encountering people who can be caring and genuine and able to sort the crap from the real stuff. This doctor is a credit to the medical profession, the military and most of all to his family. You are very fortunate to have met him. Be careful because I can't imagine many more of him.

ginafaye
07-14-2009, 12:24 AM
ex army i would be proud to serve with you......old vietnam era helo m.o.s.

Nicole Erin
07-14-2009, 12:54 AM
I think we as TG worry that people are against us more than what they realy are.
Kathi, this is cool that he was alright with things. I guess seeing how he had a TG family member, he understands this well.

YOu know though, one thing he doesn't completely understand - Being how he is a colonel [full bird I assume?], most soldiers would find it nerve racking that he called us in. :heehee:

The military folks are people too. Some are phobic about things, some are indifferent, and some are supportive.

I think you will be alright. :)

Sally2005
07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
I've got to say, that's unbelievable!

queenie
07-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Wow, what a great outcome! I'd never be that lucky. Then again, I'm out of the service so I don't have to worry about that any more.

noeleena
07-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Hi. .Kathi . .What comes out to me is your doc is human & even through a hardship . its not just a job. really. to care for others . even though he & his s o . have lost one of thier own . just shows what. really this neat man is made of . how neat . i know what its like to lose like this ... thank you for sharing . glad it went well for you as well .
...noeleena...

bethw
07-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi Jathi;
I'm sorry you had to put through all of that anxiety but what a great, tearful, happy ending. I'm so happy for you.
Hugs
Beth

PetiteDuality
07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Kathy,

It is such an amazing and touching story.

Please don't take wrong what I'm about to tell. We are here all sisters and my intention is just to express an authentic concern. I just want you to take care.

When I read "What you've done to your body to fit in to where you think you belong is just what she did in the early years", I really thought that he was going to tell a story about her daughter dying of anorexia or bulimia, and that he was concerned for your weight.

I know you are aware you're skinny. I know it helps a lot with the feminine look. Please, just be sure to check this too with a Dr o dietitian and be healthy. Specially if you are soon to be deployed.

Hugs,

PetiteDuality

Sara Jessica
07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Wow...simply wow!!! Nearly speechless but of course I'm so glad this turned out the way it did. What an amazing set of stories (especially the uplifting second one), thank you for finding the strength to share.

Angie G
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
That's great news Kathi. I'm very glad you get to stay in. And thank you for your service hun. And I'm proud to know you.:hugs:
Angie

robyn1114
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
That's awesome, just got to ask was that an active duty doctor or was he a reservist too.

KatieC
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
WOW all i can say is WOW

:iagree: Took the words right out of my mouth. Wow.

Kathi Lake
07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I know you are aware you're skinny. I know it helps a lot with the feminine look. Please, just be sure to check this too with a Dr or dietitian and be healthy. Specially if you are soon to be deployed.Thank you for your concern! This is an issue that has been dogging me for my entire life. Believe me, my wife watches me like a hawk - she is an APRN with a PhD in nursing - so healthwise I'm covered. Believe me, I don't diet or work out to be this way. My normal braksfast is a package of mini pound cakes and a Big Gulp. I have fast food for lunch, a big dinner and snacks and more Coke later that night. Even with all this, my cholesterol is lower than my wife's (low 130s). I don't run marathons or go to the gym. I'm a computer geek, so the most exercise I get is clicking my mouse button (Believe me, I have an index finger of steel baby!). I just have a freakish metabolism.

Wow...simply wow!!! Nearly speechless but of course I'm so glad this turned out the way it did. What an amazing set of stories (especially the uplifting second one), thank you for finding the strength to share.Thanks Sara. Believe me, I still get the shivers thinking about it (like right now). Something like this, I just had to share. Everyone deserves to know that there is good in the world and that we do have good experiences.

Something funny just came to mind I realized after I left that he didn't get to see my toes this time. This color is really cute! :)

That's awesome, just got to ask was that an active duty doctor or was he a reservist too.He's a Reservist and has a private practice in Idaho, I believe.

Kathi

Trycia
07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Dayum! I'm not sure how I would have dealt with that if it were me. I would have thought the worst just as you did too.

Hopefully on the next physical everything will go smoothly & you wont have any reason to panic.

Hugs Kathi

Kathi Lake
07-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Dayum! I'm not sure how I would have dealt with that if it were me. I would have thought the worst just as you did too.

Hopefully on the next physical everything will go smoothly & you wont have any reason to panic.

Hugs KathiKnowing that my next physical will be in February, I plan to stop epilating around late November, just in case. Also, no matter how good a pedi feels, I will keep my toes nice and boring and guy-ish for the entire month of February! The eyebrows? Nah, I plan to keep them girly for life. Everyone is used to them this way now. :)

Kathi

CharlotteW
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Phew! Feeling happy for you. Great read, thanks.

PetiteDuality
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Thank you for your concern! This is an issue that has been dogging me for my entire life. Believe me, my wife watches me like a hawk - she is an APRN with a PhD in nursing - so healthwise I'm covered. Believe me, I don't diet or work out to be this way. My normal braksfast is a package of mini pound cakes and a Big Gulp. I have fast food for lunch, a big dinner and snacks and more Coke later that night. Even with all this, my cholesterol is lower than my wife's (low 130s). I don't run marathons or go to the gym. I'm a computer geek, so the most exercise I get is clicking my mouse button (Believe me, I have an index finger of steel baby!). I just have a freakish metabolism.

In this case... I'm just jealous :o

I wish I had your figure.

Kathi Lake
07-14-2009, 02:58 PM
In this case... I'm just jealous :o

I wish I had your figure.No need, hon. I'm sure you're beautiful! Besides, it's no picnic finding guy's clothes that fit (or at least don't fall down). My daughter asked once why daddy always wore a belt. My wife, gritting her teeth (and probably feeling fat) said that, "Daddy needs a belt or his pants will fall down over his skinny butt!" :)

Kathi

PetiteDuality
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
No need, hon. I'm sure you're beautiful! Besides, it's no picnic finding guy's clothes that fit (or at least don't fall down). My daughter asked once why daddy always wore a belt. My wife, gritting her teeth (and probably feeling fat) said that, "Daddy needs a belt or his pants will fall down over his skinny butt!" :)

Kathi

Yes, I guess there are tradeoffs to make.

But still, I'm jealous :)

Ediosa
07-14-2009, 10:45 PM
As a veteran of 12.5 years prior to getting out, I remember the stresses of going to yearly physicals. Especially, if I shave my legs or anything girly was done to me. Having the experience you wrote, I was nervous and sweating it out, just like you. I felt like I was you, living the experience. Girl, talk about having a heart attack right there, plus all the thoughts going through your mind. Then trying to fight the "don't ask, don't tell" stuff and then everyone knowing. Wow, was my heart racing. Loved the ending though.

What's left to say is :love::hugs::battingeyelashes:

Take care of yourself Kathy, especially in the sandbox.

sarahNZ
07-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Now there's a twist I didn't see coming. I'm glad that didn't happen to me when I did my stint :D

Gisele
07-15-2009, 06:55 AM
OMG! That is just freaking great news!:hugs:

Kathi Lake
07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Now there's a twist I didn't see coming. I'm glad that didn't happen to me when I did my stint :DYes, life is funny that way, isn't it? In my strange topsy-turvy world I find that, given time, everything will be all right. Even when it isn't, it will be all right. I am sorry for his loss, but am happy (selfishly, I guess) that I wasn't outed in a very painful way. Would it have been all right if I was? Sure. Eventually. Sometimes I feel like Forrest Gump - just floating along with life's events. :)

Kathi

Christina Horton
07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
but I feel that I'm kind a Joe (or Jane) six-pack. Of course, in my case, the six-pack is Coke, but, you know. :)

COKE......COKE......!!!!!!!! Now what's with this coke thing. any thing wrong with PEPSI? after all it's a choice for a new generation EH.

But seriously hun I was a little concerned after reading the first story weeks ago , But I am a optimist and I figured it would all work out . I never figured it would end like that. I feel for his lose , and for you to. I am super thrilled on your new friendship.

I was so trying not to cry cuz I did not want my makeup to run. I was going to back out , but alas the tears did flow and messed up my makeup and then thought naaa I will just have a long bubble bath. Sigh what's a girl to do.

Knowing that my next physical will be in February, I plan to stop epilating around late November, just in case. Also, no matter how good a pedi feels, I will keep my toes nice and boring and guy-ish for the entire month of February! The eyebrows? Nah, I plan to keep them girly for life. Everyone is used to them this way now. :)

Kathi

Where can I get a Epilalady . I have been looking for one for a long time. I don't think they make them any more, so where did you get it.

Thank you for your service and thank you for the update. I have meet Navy seals and marines and have told then I am cd and they all were fine with it. There are a lot of sisters in uniform , like the X files says,(" there out there") and there more of them then we think. I wish you luck and if you deployed I have some advice for you, DUCK...RIGHT...FIRE...SIT DOWN AND EAT...E.T.C
lol.

good luck and we are all pulling for you hun extreme HUGGS form Canada, :canada: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :love:

dennisGTS
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
In all my 13 year in the military, I'd never expect a military doctor to be so understanding of crossdressing. I feel you were very fortunate that your doctor wasn't the normal testosterone type soldier that would've been offended by your secret. Even with the doctor/patitent confidentiality, word could get around and then, there goes your career. ...at least, that's what I would fear about another soldier finding out my secret. I'm glad that you weren't "outed" by your doctor.

queenie
07-15-2009, 04:11 PM
It's funny how you can find kindness and acceptance in places that you least expect it.

I've found that most times, doctors are the least military out of the service men and women.

Kathi Lake
07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
COKE......COKE......!!!!!!!! Now what's with this coke thing. any thing wrong with PEPSI? after all it's a choice for a new generation EH.Pepsi? Eh. Never liked it. It may be the choice of a new generation, but then again, I'm not really in that generation. :)

It's funny how you can find kindness and acceptance in places that you least expect it.

I've found that most times, doctors are the least military out of the service men and women.So true! I certainly wasn't looking for compassion - or understanding - from a military member, but I found it in this Doc. I would assume/hope that a medical professional would have this level of compassion. I do wonder, however, how he would have reacted if his son had not become his daughter.

Kathi

Deidra Cowen
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Holy freaking cow...wildest story and coolest post on here in days. Gald it all worked out...goes to show us however those Docs and medical people catch on to us more than we might admit.

I have to do a physical once a year and of course am all shaved and stuff. But the Doc never says anything to me.

Thanks for sharing with us sweetie.

vivian10
07-21-2009, 03:51 AM
There are alot of us who have been in the green machine or who still are.
I served for 21 years in the infantry including ops, got out as a CSM.
The old story spent 21 years denying who i am, pretending to be more manly than most men. Volunteering for stupid missions, bar fights drinking, just all so much crap.
What a waste.
Yes someone must have had doubts with me too, i remember at my 15 year mark being intimately examined by a doctor for signs of intercourse.
I wasted 21 years of my life.

Pink Person
07-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi Kathi,

The way that this doctor reached out to you is extremely touching. I really admire his sympathetic gesture and am grateful to know that there are people like him in this world. I would want to deeply thank him for his concern and implied support. That sort of sympathy, concern, and support is very rare. Thanks for sharing your story.

P.S. I respect, admire, and want to thank you for your service to our country and your active participation on this site.

Pink

Kathi Lake
07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Holy freaking cow...wildest story and coolest post on here in days. Glad it all worked out...goes to show us however those Docs and medical people catch on to us more than we might admit.Isn't it amazing that our perceptions of how we may be treated and the reality are sometimes so far apart? True, this was a longshot of a meeting, but I for one am glad that it turned out the way it did (except for Melody, of course).

Hi Kathi,

The way that this doctor reached out to you is extremely touching. I really admire his sympathetic gesture and am grateful to know that there are people like him in this world. I would want to deeply thank him for his concern and implied support. That sort of sympathy, concern, and support is very rare. Thanks for sharing your story.I can't possibly imagine what they went through - first losing a son (but gaining a daughter), and then losing their daughter. Life is a roller coaster, isn't it?

Kathi

Mandyflcd
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Wow, what a story! I am so glad it turned out in such a positive way for you even though I am sure your blood pressure was on a roller coaster through all of it!

I served in the Marines from 97-02 and was involved in the opening stages of OEF. My unit was the first in (besides the CIA of course).

Thanks for serving and be safe!

maxi_in_az
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Actually not that uncommon from mil docs. There are some that gung-ho but others who see themselves only as doctors with select clientel (military members and thier respective families)

MichelleP
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
OMG Kathi,

As I was reading your story I was preparing for the absolute worst. And it turned out so wonderful! It is simply amazing. Having had physicals before in the Air Force, I think I would have just melted if I was called back by the same guy.

Michelle

Penelope Marie
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Very nice story, as someone stated what are the odds you would get a doc who had been through this before hand, seems someone was looking out for you.

docrobbysherry
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
for happy endings! Sniff!:cry:

sherri52
08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Kathi that was some story. I was in the Army during active service and the Air force for guards and never came close to that happening. However in the guards another airman (before the don't ask don't tell era) was caught with polish on his toenails. Nothing happened to him on the books but he was ridiculed for months to come. You were very lucky.

Kathi Lake
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Having had physicals before in the Air Force, I think I would have just melted if I was called back by the same guy.

MichelleI had almost forgotten this thread, but someone posted today and it brought all of the memories back. As I read through it, my heart started hammering away again when I talked about the "Don't ask - Don't tell" part, and the thoughts that I was severely busted. A few weeks ago, we had his retirement ceremony. After the presentations and speeches and the like, I came up to him. No one was around. He looked at me, looked around, winked and said "How's my girl?" Oh my God! If I wasn't around so many guys, I would've broken down in tears, hugged him and bawled into his chest. I told him that I wish I could have known Melody. He agreed, saying that we were a lot alike and I'm sure we would have been friends. Sigh. :sad:

Kathi that was some story. I was in the Army during active service and the Air force for guards and never came close to that happening. However in the guards another airman (before the don't ask don't tell era) was caught with polish on his toenails. Nothing happened to him on the books but he was ridiculed for months to come. You were very lucky.I prefer the term "blessed." My life has been so wierd, and yet so charmed, that I know something higher than mere luck is watching out for me. :)

Kathi