PDA

View Full Version : Dresses for men?

Sarah Doepner
07-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Women can wear pants and we can't wear dresses is one of the mantras we see from crossdressers on a regular basis. Let's say that a new fashion trend gained popularity and men actually could wear dresses and skirts as normal daily or evening wear. Designers would come up with styles that matched men's bodies with our flat chests and differently shaped hips and bottom.

Would you wear these fashions and get rid of your bras and breastforms? Would you toss your panties, hip pads and corsets or cinchers and fill your closet with guy skirts or would you continue wearing the more feminine styles associated with womens wear?

I'd probably try to do a little of both, hoping that the new styles would make what I'm already doing more acceptable.

Lorileah
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Since my wardrobe (for Lori) is Black, Red, Grey, or White I would think that if they made a men's line of skirts and dresses i would wear them almost all the time. But knowing that the style would be rather boring, I am sure that soon the feminine cut will be back on my list.

Denise01
07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
If skirts and dresses for men had come out years ago, i probably would have been one of the first to wear them.

I feel so comfortable out wearing a skirt or dress that is is just too bad that society is not accepting for men to wear skirts, etc, but that is just another example of the double standards for ladies, VS Men.

That is very soon to be all behind me, as less than 2 weeks from Now, Denise will be going full time and i will be purging what little bit of guy clothes that i have left

Denise

vivianann
07-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Since I identify as a female more than male, I would not throw away my breastforms and bras. I like the feminine clothes much more, so I would stick with the feminine side of dressing.

TGMarla
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Probably not.....one of the things I like most about crossdressing is the feminine aspect of it. I like "being" a woman. So wearing a dress as a man has little appeal to me.

Emma England
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I wear skirts as a guy.

I also like breast forms and bras (although that depends on where I am going).

dennisGTS
07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
If men in dresses and skirts were a new fashion trend in the future, I'd only assume that designers would design more masculine dress and skirt styles for men to wear taking away from the wonderful, beautiful and femenine styles we CD's love to wear. I wouldn't buy them; I'll stick to the many pretty and cute styles that are already out there for women.

Melissa Rose
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I like the whole package of looking and feeling feminine. It is more than just the clothing. Dresses and skirts for men would probably lack some of the features that distinguish women's clothing such as bows, lace, fabrics and colors. The men's styles would be more functional and masculine instead of pretty, soft and flowing.

MissConstrued
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I already wear man-skirts. Most of the time from spring to fall, matter of fact. I like the breeze.

Highly recommended. :)

Christina Horton
07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
If men in dresses and skirts were a new fashion trend in the future, I'd only assume that designers would design more masculine dress and skirt styles for men to wear taking away from the wonderful, beautiful and femenine styles we CD's love to wear. I wouldn't buy them; I'll stick to the many pretty and cute styles that are already out there for women.

Just think about it for a min. If this became the norm there would be all kinds of ways to go. I don't dress at work. But if men could wear dresses and skirts I would wear them all the time on the road. When I got home I would go out as Christina. I would not all ways wear the men's dresses But my fem dresses, If some one said "hay your wearing a girls dress " I would say "yes and I am and I don't care if your jealous to".

Sometimes when I am not all dolled up and just want to head out to the store real fast I would love to just put a dress on and go, instead I have to do so much prep that a quick junt out would take 1 hour and a half. So it would be very cool.

Hay and just think of all the men out there whom would be asking there girl friends "does this dress make me look FAT"

NYCxdresser
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Good question. I would probably do both, I love wearing my silk panties and bras and have no intention of giving up my corsets and stockings. But as the other people have said, being able to slip into a dress and run to the corner store without having to put on makeup and such, does appeal to me as well. I would also love to be able to go to the beach wearing a two-piece bikini or one of my one-piece swimsuits swimsuits, so until then I guess I'll have to wear them in private and hope for the day where we can wear want we want, whenever and wherever! :)

Gerard
07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, I think that if most types and styles and fabrics of feminine clothing would become accepted, then I'd go for that.

For me it's not just about the skirt/dress/heels, it's about the colours and fabrics. I don't care so much for the frills and flower prints and such.

Something like this would work for me, if it was in a different colour, like light orange or dark blue with gold stripes.
http://blogs.fashionweekdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/thom-browne-skirt.bmp

Carly D.
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Probably not.....one of the things I like most about crossdressing is the feminine aspect of it. I like "being" a woman. So wearing a dress as a man has little appeal to me.

Same here.. I think the same way about the "mantyhose" that they are trying to market.. I don't want a pair of mens pantyhose.. I told this girl I was talking to on line about my cross dressing and she said why couldn't I wear mens socks that are more nylon than cotton and I said because they are mens socks,, 'nuff said..

Jilmac
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm with you Sara, But I think I would still prefer wearing panties as underwear no matter if the dress was a man's style or women's.

Michaella
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I have worn skirts while fully male, and really enjoyed it. I look for opportunities to do so outside, and of course often wear skirts and dresses in private, while not in any other way feminine. And I've done a certain amount of gender-bending with jewellery, make-up, lingerie, heels etc., again still not trying to pass as female, but presenting as a male wearing all that frilly sort of stuff. If there were more opportunities to do I certainly would take advantage of them, though my spouse does not approve, so there won't be many chances.

All the same, I don't think that would stop me wanting to be very feminine at times. I only came to really presenting myself as female relatively recently, but it was a revelation how much I enjoyed it, and I don't think being a man in a skirt is going to satisfy fully.

I tend to think of masculine/feminine and male/female as being aspects of me that are at right angles to one another. That is, one has to do with gender or maybe just style, while the other has to do with physicality. And they exist quite independently. I also think sexuality is another aspect that is again at right angles. One can be attracted to women or men, or both, and that has nothing to do with gender or physicality. Society tries to link them, so that the standard is male/masculine/attracted to women, but really any combination -- male/feminine/attracted to women (that's me), female/masculine/attracted to men, female/feminine/attracted to women, etc etc -- is every bit as reasonable as any other. So, I think it's a matter of how feminine I could be and still be accepted. I've worn skirts in public while still looking relatively masculine, but I'd rather wear something more feminine, while still being male. Presenting as female allows me to be feminine without causing too much hassle, but I'd rather not have to deal with the artifice of fake breasts -- which just feel silly sometimes -- and having to worry about my voice and so forth in order to pass.

One thing that would seem feasible is dressing in a very feminine manner while in private, but not alone, as for example at a party. It would be really nice to be able to wear a satin or taffeta party dress, or nice heels and something short, while not having to worry about looking female, just feminine.

I realize the language is inadequate here since "feminine" clearly links to "female," but again that's just a social construct; that's what language is, after all. And, as Orwell and others have pointed out, language makes us think in certain ways. Better to think and speak like those sub-atomic particle physicists do: the particles can have different "flavours" or "colours" or "spins" and so forth. Each quality is different from the others, so any combination can apply.

Sorry, long response, but I'm thinking out loud here. I do think it's worth taking this issue seriously.

Michaella

Michaella

MissConstrued
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Something like this would work for me, if it was in a different colour, like light orange or dark blue with gold stripes.
http://blogs.fashionweekdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/thom-browne-skirt.bmp

Light orange satin... orange shoes... white tie... orange fedora... oh yeeeeeaaahhh... mad pimpin'!

But if you're not a pimp, or heading to some outrageous fancy dress party, or looking for a way to give your overbearing mother-in-law a stroke, I'd have to say "hell no!!!" to that outfit in any color combination!

If men are ever going to re-adopt the skirt, they need practicality. The hem must accomodate a man's long stride; it needs pockets; and must allow full freedom of motion. Good on these designers for trying, but they're barking up the wrong tree. Utilikilts already has it figured out.

julia ann
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't beleive I could ever where a dress made for a man, I enjoy the whole female persona when dressed and would miss that part dearly.

nancyish
07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I have wonderful nylon men's underware,soft,shiny and comfortable.I wear panties 24\7and would rather wear cotton grannies than men's no matter how nice they are.If you can answer this riddle you have the answer to all of my nonconformities!

Sarah-RT
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
To be honest, I would say no.

I spend about 95% of my time as a guy, and a military careered minded one at that.

I like to keep the divide between guy and girl huge.
I find wearing anything of light red, verging on pink against the norm as a guy, for myself anyway.

Dekka
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd do it. Without a second thought.

AlannahNorth
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd certainly look at them, and if I liked the look I'd try it. There are modern remakes of the kilt around - UtilitiKilts for one - and I would like to buy one in the very near future. I have worn a sarong on some occasions where I know the atmosphere is receptive, and it's been great (but not often enough).

However, I have no intention of giving up feminine clothing. I like it because it NOT men's clothing. I like silk and satin, and a skirt that flows, and feeling feminine when I do. Kilts and even skirts may possibly (hopefully...) someday become acceptable (or better) for men, but I'll still be a crossdresser. It's in my make up (pun actually not intended).

AllieSummers
07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
If they made men's dresses they would mostly likely be like men's jeans. They don't build them to make you look "fem".

If they made hot pink, micro-mini men's dresses then I might give it a try. :)

Kisses,

Allie

sissystephanie
07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
If they made men's dresses to fit, feel, and look like those made especially for women, then maybe I would wear them! The only reason I crossdress is because I like the fit, feel, and look of feminine clothing. So if they weren't exactly like that, why would I wear a dress made for a man?? And BTW, I do wear a bra under my dress, or blouse, because I have natural 40 B's!:D

Noxvictum
07-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Women can wear pants and we can't wear dresses is one of the mantras we see from crossdressers on a regular basis. Let's say that a new fashion trend gained popularity and men actually could wear dresses and skirts as normal daily or evening wear. Designers would come up with styles that matched men's bodies with our flat chests and differently shaped hips and bottom.

Would you wear these fashions and get rid of your bras and breastforms? Would you toss your panties, hip pads and corsets or cinchers and fill your closet with guy skirts or would you continue wearing the more feminine styles associated with womens wear?

I'd probably try to do a little of both, hoping that the new styles would make what I'm already doing more acceptable.

Pfft, made it this long doing my own thing, why stop now? :heehee:

VeronikaDonahue
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
There are actually dresses and other clothing that is made for men. Me personally, I would intigrate both into my lifestyle. It just so happens that those particular types of clothing do cost more than womens clothing. They do look good, and are not just boring colors as one person stated.

Rachel Morley
07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Only if they looked liked women's dresses ... i.e. feminine. I can't think of anything worse than "man-ing up" a beautiful feminine garment like a dress and expecting me to wear it.

I'm a crossdresser, and so when I wear women's clothes I want to feel pretty and that's not what guys' clothes do for me at all .... not even a "guy version" dress!

Evelyn
07-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I would never wear items of clothing that are female, but designed to fit a man's frame. No no no.

I like to wear women's clothes and be as femme as I can be.

Have you ever seen the womens panties designed for men to wear, they are just hideously ugly and revolting.

I fear the same would apply to outer germents.

For me its a big BIG no-no

Sarah Doepner
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
This is a small sample of folks so far, but it's starting to look like the "Women wear pants, why can't men wear skirts?" argument has some problems. Although it can be part of the discussion, I hate to see it as a central focus.

I agree the main reason I wear women's clothing is to somehow get closer to my image of what I would be like if born a woman. The only real benefit I would see in the popularization of "dresses for men" would be a more open society that would give crossdressers a little more room.

LeslieSD
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Dress for men would ruin all the fun of crossdressing. Dressing is like another dimension of world to advanture in. Having dress for men is taking all that advanture away. Not only I don't like to wear dress for men (if it were there), I would feel sad to see those.

I guess people are all different. So that is just for me. If there is a way to make my body complete femine permanently (SRS), I would not take it becasue that to me is taking much the fun out of dressing.

I guess that puts me (roughly) in the category of crossdressers. :-)

Jayne
07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I would not try the new fashions.
I like womens clothes because of the feel and not the non conformity of fashion.
Sexy soft undies, bra skirt wig make up, painted toe nails and heels.
My idea of a de stressing, relaxing evening alone while my wife is out.
The excitement of doing something I shouldn't and the fact I could get caught add to the special feelings.

No I would not wear a dress or skirt if mans fashion made it the norm.

cdterri
07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
There was actually a study done on just this subject. They came to the conclusion that most crossdressers would still prefer to wear womens fashions.

Joanie_Shakti
07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
For me, a lot of the fun of crossdressing are the fabrics and feminine styles. I don't care for kilts, especially the cargo ones. If they designed dresses or skirts for men, I wouldn't wear them. Just as I don't like women in men's suits, I wouldn't like dresses and skirts in men's styles.

Kind of like the "men's bras" in another thread. They are kind of girly looking, but are just flat chested bras to me. If I'm wearing a bra, I want it filled with boobs, even if they're fake, and wouldn't wear something like that that's marketed towards men.

MissConstrued
07-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Okay, let me get this straight.

Most of you wear men's clothing most of the time, and women's clothing some of the time. Right?

Kilts & such like are men's clothing.

Yet you would refuse to wear them at such times as you would otherwise ordinarily be wearing men's clothing. And nothing would indicate that you could not still wear women's clothing whenever you pleased.

Sensors indicate a giant Logic Fail Wormhole has just opened off our starboard, Captain. What shall we do?

Charona
07-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Perhaps I don't understand. It looks as if the crossdressing idea involves wearing "women's clothes" rather than a particular variety of garment. That is, a kilt or a man-skirt is a garment marketed for men, and thus wearing it is not cross-dressing. Wearing jeans or slacks purchased from the women's rack is crossdressing, even if the garment is visually indistinguishable from the same garment off the men's rack. Note that I am discussing clothing only, not the attempt to pass as a member of the opposite gender.

Jocelyn Quivers
07-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I consider dresses for men in the same area as pantyhose, silk underware, silk long johns, make up etc. made for men. Not interested.

kristinacd55
07-18-2009, 07:57 AM

If I tossed all my girl stuff, I'd not be a crossdresser anymore! :eek: So unless the fashions were feminine like what I wear now, I wouldn't be interested

TxKimberly
07-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Not a chance! I like to wear these things in large part BECAUSE they are for women. A garment made for manly men would hold no appeal what so ever for me

Danielle Gee
07-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I like the whole package of looking and feeling feminine. It is more than just the clothing. Dresses and skirts for men would probably lack some of the features that distinguish women's clothing such as bows, lace, fabrics and colors. The men's styles would be more functional and masculine instead of pretty, soft and flowing.

It's the "Femininity" I crave also:daydreaming:

karynspanties
07-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I would be all over it like flies on poop!!!