PDA

View Full Version : Psych Eval

Super Amanda
07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
So today I had my psychological evaluation to begin HRT.

This was my third trip to the behavioral health services center...and the shortest!

My first visit was on the first of this month for an "intake interview", which lasted and hour and a half.

Second visit was on the eighth to meet my case worker, Heidi, and we had a one hour long chat. She set me up with an appointment for today to see a therapist via video chat.

The therapist was very nice. My case worker sat in on the session and I was asked some simple questions about growing up and adult life. Then we got to my gender issues. After telling her my story, she asked if I was aware of the side effects of HRT in males, and I told her that I had learned much from this site, and other sources, and was well aware of the risks and side effects.

Forty minutes later, she said I seemed like a fine candidate to begin HRT. She said that it seemed that I had a good grasp on my situation, and that was it.

My case worker congratulated me and expressed her excitement for me. She is going to fax my doctor the therapist's evaluation, and tomorrow, I'll call my doctor myself to let her know that we need to set up an appointment to begin the next step, blood tests I presume.

In all I have been in the "system" now for only a month. I have been taking things one step at a time, but I must say they are advancing very quickly-which pleases me.

Tomorrow I have two consultations at different laser hair removal clinics for the 'ol beard.

Big thanks to everyone here...I certainly have gained much knowledge, and courage from reading your stories. A year ago, I would never have believed someone if they would have told me I would be about to begin hormones, or even be out to everyone. I hope my story can be as inspiring to someone as everyone's here have been for me!!

pamela_a
07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Congratulations Amanda. That's really great news.

-Pam-

kerrianna
07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Congratulations Amanda! :hugs:

She said that it seemed that I had a good grasp on my situation, and that was it.

I think this is a big thing with a lot of therapists. How 'together' do we seem about things, how much do we seem to know about ourselves?
My therapist and endo were both very happy to accomodate me because they could tell I had a pretty good handle on things overall (they said as much).

I know what you mean about never thinking you would never be able to do HRT or be out to everyone, and then, well, surprising yourself. :D

Good luck!
btw, you look gorgeous!

Teri Jean
07-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Congratulations Amanda, I'm so happy for you and hopefully I will be following you soon as I will be starting with my therapy sessions. Huggs

Teri

LisaM
07-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Congrats, Amanda! I wish I was as young as you when I finally got the courage to visit a therapist.

Suzy Harrison
07-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Congratulations - Starting hormones was the biggest thing in my life - you have so much to look forward to - you're on your way

:hugs: Suzy

MJ
07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Congratulations sis,
the hormones is a big step i am so very happy for you. :hugs:

Carole Cross
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Congrats Amanda, the procedure is a little slower here in the UK if you go through the official channels. I will have to wait at least six months before I am considered for hormones. :sad:

Philipa Jane
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Congratulations on your HRT.
I would be very pleased to hear how the laser treatment on the facial hair goes.
Philipa Jane

Super Amanda
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone, for the replies....It's all of you who already had the courage to do this that inspired me to do what I know I must do! Seriously, I would not be where I am without this site in particular...

I may disappear for a week or two at a time,because I need to stay focused on my many tasks at hand right now. Next month I have surgery on my ACL in my left knee, appointments with my doctor for the HRT, laser therapy on my beard will start, my son starts kindergarten...and many more!!!

But I promise to keep everyone informed, and to lend support to others if I can.

Thanks again!! :)

morgan51
07-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Good for you Amanda this is such a life changing step for us You will be amazed as your body starts to move toward your mind s eye view of it. What a joy. Morgan

Empress Lainie
07-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Good for you Amanda. The best part of life has just begun!

Lisa Golightly
07-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Awwwwww congratulations angel :) x