PDA

View Full Version : Sooo My friend posed an odd question

Emo
07-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Ok first things first wow its been a while since ive been here >.>

but yeah my Friend who happens to be gay and an ex go go dancer I do believe posed an odd question the other day and it was if I might want to start working drag shows and I'm a little unsure first off I've been REALLY mild about my crossdressing even to the point I've never picked a name never had a need.
So I'm a little afraid about A: doing it in the first place and B: whether I'm passable or not correction if I can be made passable here are some crappy pics (all i have right now is my phone) of me with out make up and in need of a shave....

Please give me some advice on both things whether it seems feesable and whether I should do it. Thanks

Cheshire Gummi
07-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Well, honey, drag queens and CDs are different. Drag queens aren't really trying to look like women. They're trying to look like drag queens. It's a performance art thing, from what I understand of it and not really a lifestyle.

If you're comfortable with the idea, then you're passable. Look at Divine. Not really a terribly attractive "woman," but a really great drag queen.

In other words, if you want to do it, then do it. It doesn't matter how beautiful anyone else thinks you are, drag is about how beautiful you feel and how well you show it! If you're doubting yourself or you have some body issues, it wouldn't be a good idea to chase that as a career.

Lisa Golightly
07-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Is this drag show comedy routine? Or is this another trans-atlantic re-definition? I only ask because being English, and ancient, drag acts conjure up images of heavy make up, lewd jokes, and miming to songs...

If it is that kind of skit then it is a matter of confidence over looks... If it is a different kind of show and more professional femme impersonation then yeah you have the bone structure and features... You'd make a great girl... but only do it if you want it.

Lisa x

Emo
07-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Reason I throw that in is that I know cd and drag is different but I personally like cd and drag is just something on the side i spose It was like 2 questions in one but a note is the particular place he was talking about all the performers look passable actually I take that back there was one... and most are crossdressers on their own time

Julogden
07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
With the right hair, makeup, clothes and attitude, you'll look great.

Carol

Violetgray
07-16-2009, 12:47 PM
A drag queen is, in essence, an entertainer. Does entertaining people as a woman sound like fun? Then go for it! Keep in mind that drag is a talent that has to be developed like any other. No one starts out fabulous! At least give it a go, and try not to be discouraged.

For the most part, the difference between a CD and a drag queen is like the difference between a barroom brawler and a professional boxer.

Practice makes perfect!

And by the way, you have a GREAT face for drag! With the right person's help, you'll make a gorgeous woman!

Sally2005
07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Why don't you try it? Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. There is a lot of help on youtube about how to do drag makeup. Personally, what I think makes a great drag artist is one who has some talent (who can sing) in addition to the look.

TxKimberly
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
. . . I've never picked a name never had a need. . . .

I work primarily in the semiconductor industry, and on the very vast majority of our large process tools, we have "EMO" buttons (your user name here). It stands for "Emergency Off" and is only to be pushed in the most extreme circumstances - to save a life or serious damage to the machine. We have a sales guy who accidently leaned against one, activating it. By stopping the tool in such a fashion, he cost that customer many 10's of thousands of dollars. Since that day he has been known as . . wait for it . . . yup, "EMO!".

(sorry, but your user name tied to your not picking a name set me off on that tangent so I dragged you along).

Nicole Erin
07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone can do drag, I mean as far as the look. Drag queens are caked with makeup and everything so your male looks are irrelevant when it comes to passing as a drag queen. You would just have to act ultra-gay to do drag for shows.

Now for being CD and convincing, yeah, I think you would do well, you are young enough and still have the smooth skin and good looks to pull it off well. But just keep in mind that CD'ing is no where near as extreme in fashion as being a DQ. With Cd'ing less is more but with being DQ, more is more

By stopping the tool in such a fashion, he cost that customer many 10's of thousands of dollars. Since that day he has been known as . . wait for it . . . yup, "EMO!".

Talk about feeling like a dumb ass, you know we all make mistakes at work but wow, Steve urkel could not do worse hahah

Princess Chantal
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I had a good chuckle at the comment made about differentiating drag queens and cd. "Drag Queens aren't really trying to look like women", it's so odd considering that the majority of crossdressers only do underdressing or "partial dressing" and aren't trying to look like women.
Many Drag Queens do make an effort to look, sound and act like women..... maybe not of your everyday Walmart shopping women, but women of the stage. Yes drag queens do exaggerate their make up, however how many female don't do the same when they are in the spotlight? Brides, tv news reporters, singers, and actresses are just the few women that tend to go heavy on make up for the camera.

I am a crossdresser and have done/still do performances in drag shows. In the Winnipeg drag community there are several people (cd,tg,and gg) from the crossdressing/tg social group that perform on a regular basis. Performing is one of my crossdressing experiences that I so love.
I'd say give it a try, however keep in mind that it does take lots of dedication and creativeness to make a number work. Study performers and not the average Jane when considering mannerisms, voice, speech, and appearance before hitting the stage.

Princess Chantal
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone can do drag, I mean as far as the look. Drag queens are caked with makeup and everything so your male looks are irrelevant when it comes to passing as a drag queen. You would just have to act ultra-gay to do drag for shows.

Now for being CD and convincing, yeah, I think you would do well, you are young enough and still have the smooth skin and good looks to pull it off well. But just keep in mind that CD'ing is no where near as extreme in fashion as being a DQ. With Cd'ing less is more but with being DQ, more is more

Are you like the armchair quarterback of the drag scene in your area? :heehee: