PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair: Shave or Join a Circus

Joanie_Shakti
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I have been crossdressing since an early teen and will turn 50 in a couple of months. Last month, I shaved or trimmed short all of my body hair. As a lot of it was turning grey, I think I look younger. I had a full beard until a few years ago, and now look younger because that's gone too. But I still have a moustache and until this morning, a Zappa beard (soul patch). I "Photoshopped" them out of my avatar for this site (actually, I used Paintshop Pro). As I have been really getting into the dressing this year and am enjoying my mostly hairless body immensely, I have been contemplating losing the moustache and Zappa patch these last couple of weeks.

Losing the jazz beard was fairly easy, I shaved it off before work this morning and immediately thought I looked better. Big change from the thinking when I removed it along with the beard a few years ago. I immediately started to grow it back then. But I haven't seen my upper lip since my late teens or early twenties. I remember that it was fairly traumatic when I shaved my moustache. Before I could grow one, I envied guys that had big ones.

But it's turning grey too, and I know that besides looking younger, as Joanie, I would look more complete. I'm trying to get up the nerve to remove it this weekend, hopefully tomorrow, so I have the weekend to enjoy Joanie's clean face. I gues the reason I'm starting this thread is to find out if there are any other "bearded women" on this forum, how they deal with it, and to get encouragement to go for it. I know I can always grow it back but it will be another drastic change after making several in the past few months.

RWillow
07-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi Joanie,

I had a full beard for many years, the last 12 years it was pure white, I decided after taking some pictures while wearing a very nice dress I just bought that the beard had to go. My wife hit the roof because I didn't do it in steps, I shaved it all at once. It was the best decision I ever made, I have never regretted it for an instant. I guess I will never get to play Santa now:D

Take a long look at your avitar if you like what you see then go for it, as you said you can always gorw it back.

Renyta

Olivia
07-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Joanie, I too had a beard for many years. I shaved it off about 4 years ago. I had made a friend, right here on this forum, and we had arranged a meeting in person. I felt like it was time to let that part of me go. It felt so great to be smooth faced. I don't see how I could I ever go back as Olivia has become such a big part of what I am. I admit to getting kinda 'antsy' now if I don't get my regular shave in on time, lol. Just as in shaving my legs and body, I've become a slave to the blade.:)
O

sometimes_miss
07-17-2009, 07:47 AM
I shaved my beard off after it started coming in salt and pepper, and one of the cute women I knew told me I reminded her of her grandfather. Then another said it made me look old. that did it, no more facial hair for me. Now, I have a few grey hairs at the temples, but that's it. When the pubic hairs start coming in gray, they go too. No rampant gray hair for me. Why look old when you don't have to?

Christina Horton
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I had a beard from age 18 to 38. Last year I shaved it fir (LOL) Christina. I don't care about grey hair , in fact I look foreword to the grey hair look. For mike anyway. I do miss my beard , I will never have it again cuz I have had 7 laser hair removel treatments so it should be gone for good soon. My mom hates the fact I got rid and am removing it for good , but it's my face and I can do as I please.

So if you want to shave it do it. Just make sure you wife knows before hand so she is ready. Good luck and just remember you don't have to look at your face all the time but she does. LOL.

Joanie_Shakti
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, I did it! Was pretty sure last night that I was going to do it today. And this morning I told myself the moustache was gone before I left the bathroom. I thought my reaction was going to be "what have I done?" But I laughed as I trimmed the hair short before shaving.

I think I look ten years younger! More attractive as a male, and definitely as a woman. Friendlier too. That may be because I laugh every time I look in the mirror, but I think the droop of the moustache around the corners of the mouth gave me kind of a scowling effect and when I would trim them up, I looked like a mousy old man.

Only thing I don't like is that I look more like my brother now.

As soon as I got done with my weekly Philosophy Microdelivery In Home Peel, I had to put on my wig and new paisley "hippie" dress that has quickly become my favorite. Still more man in a dress than the beauty I feel inside, but I think I'll like this new look. :battingeyelashes:

I wish I could afford a trip to San Diego to show off to my (platonic :() GG friend. She had begged me to shave off my beard and after I did that, tried to get me to lose the moustache too. I want to send her a picture of the new me, but want to experience her reaction in person. So I'll have to keep it a secret until September, when I intend to visit to see Spamalot and celebrate my 50th birthday.

It was kind of anticlimatic when I revealed my beardless face to her. She had an even bigger surprise for me. She showed up with brand new breast implants. She didn't really need them and that was quite a shock and a little bit of disappointment for me. Especially when I spent one night taking her to the emergency room due to a torn suture or something that happened when her dog yanked on her arm. But after getting used to them, I think she looks good and I like watching other guy's reactions when we go out together. I hope that didn't set a precedent and because I intend to surprise her with the hairless face, she doesn't show up with any more extreme body modifications.

Now I need to do new cam pics and update my avatar. :o

DinaMature
07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm one that has also had a mustache since late teens. I've shaved it off occassionally over the years and immediately grown it back.

I've been with my SO for a few years and she's seen me both ways. She's definite about preferring me to keep it.

Having said that, I did shave it off last November and kept my face clean until Christmas season. It was during that month that I was coming to full acceptance of my crossdressing disposition and spent a lot of time in drag, including makeup.

Now I am at a place where she and I know that the 'stache is going away for a while, going away very soon. I'm looking forward to it; I've been over that for a long time.
In defferance to her, I've promised to grow it back for infrequent periods. But as time goes on, I'm wondering how much of a return engagement it will really get.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with you, Joanie. I'm in about the same state of mind. I just turned 50 in June and am ready for a change.

Gabrielle Hermosa
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Well, I did it!

Good for you, Joanie! :)

Only thing I don't like is that I look more like my brother now.

Put on your favorite dress and some makeup. Problem solved, right? :heehee:

I once had facial hair, too. I grew it to look older and more manly. I lost it to look younger, but more importantly, to allow Gabrielle to look feminine! I'm not a fan of the bearded lady look at all. It's fine if others like to do it that way - to each her own, but it is definitely not for me.

Jeanna
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
The thing that I notice just that by feminizing your looks you can look a lot younger,,works for me !
Jeanna

CD Susan
07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I am glad to hear you finally took the plunge Joanie. To me nothing looks more out of place than facial hair on a cd. I was there once and was the fabled "bearded lady" for many years. Obviously I did not go out in public dressed as a woman and sporting a full beard. I think I kept a beard to show the world that I was "a macho guy" and also to convince myself of this even if I was wearing a dress.

When I accepted employment at a food manufacturing plant 22 years ago I was told I could keep the beard but would have to wear a hair net on my face as well as one on my head. This did not appeal to me so all the facial hair came off that day. I have never regretted it and now would never even consider having facial hair again. Now I am able to go out in public dressed without looking like a circus side show and this makes it all worth while.

TSchapes
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Use a mask!

I did at one time when I had a beard:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/TracySchapes/004.jpg

I know, I know, too creepy..

Christina Horton
07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
way to go Hun. Good for you. Now you'll need to tan your face to look all one color. LOL.

Joanie_Shakti
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your support.

Gabrielle, it's funny, because my hairy face always bothered me when I took pictures, but I could live with it. Looking back today, now my old pictures really look wrong, just as the ones I did before I shaved my legs bother me now too. And my collages that I mentioned in another thread all have to be redone now. :witsend: :)

Jeanna, I think I look ten years younger in male mode now too.

TSchapes, I've looked at those masks online as a possibility. Could only find a UK vendor and that's not something I want to come through customs to me. Besides, I bet they're hot. I live in the desert and it's projected to be 116 F tomorrow! I did have a mask several years ago even creepier though. It was latex and laced up the back. The creep factor was that the mouth and nose area was shaped like a vagina! I actually looked for one of those too but couldn't find any online. I'd post a picture but I don't think it would pass the acceptable use rules here.

Christina, at least my face doesn't look like pie dough like it did after shaving off my beard. It took about a month for things to even out. My lip is a little pale but nowhere as bad as when I removed the beard. That's one reason I decided to do it now instead of closer to my birthday. I will be going to see Spamalot in San Diego and will be surprising a friend with the new look then and wanted to give ample time to even the face color.

Update:

It's been a day and a half since removing the moustache. It's funny, as Joanie, everything finally looks right, face-wise. But when in male mode, it's still a shock to see my face in the mirror. And I have no problem with the hairless face in public, but want to hide it and stand in the shadows when around family. Weird.

renneeists
07-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Shaving is a problem for me. If I shave daily my skin gets irritated and raw. I also have an area on my neck that has stiff stuble no matter which direction I slide the razor or how hard I press.
Except for the problem area. once a week leaves a really soth face. 2 or more leaves the shadow.
Grrrrr
Even the guy in me likes a better shave!

dawnmarrie1961
07-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Personally, I'd join the circus! The people there are better understanding about the strange and unusual having made a business around it!

As for the grey hairs just dye it.

kasha
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I love having a freshly shaved and smooth face when I'm all dressed up. However, in guy mode I like to sport a few days growth. Just the dichotomy between my two sides.

Jessica Who
07-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I used to never, ever shave my beard and mustache even when I dressed. It wasn't until 2004 when I finally decided to do it...what a great decision that turned out to be. When in male mode I shave my mustache and trim my beard really well so it's just a hint of hair.

Joanne Curl
07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Since I'm unemployed and don't have the opportunity to dress I've been playing around with all kinds of different looks- your typical goatee, a Col.Sanders mustache and chin whiskers and now a Fu-man Chu. I still keep my pretty blue nails and my eyebrows incredibly short and trimmed. If and when I do get the chance to dress all the face whiskers are gone!

Joanie_Shakti
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
:D
Personally, I'd join the circus! The people there are better understanding about the strange and unusual having made a business around it!

"One of us! One of us! One of us!" :devil:

Since I'm unemployed and don't have the opportunity to dress I've been playing around with all kinds of different looks- your typical goatee, a Col.Sanders mustache and chin whiskers and now a Fu-man Chu.

I was thinking of trying a "David Niven" but forgot until after I already took a chunk out with the beard trimmer. :straightface:

It's funny, as Joanie, I love the look, but as my male self, I still look odd and want the moustache back. I'm going to hold out until my trip to see Spamalot in September (bought tickets last night) to see my friend's reaction. then I'll decide whether to grow it back. I'm hoping I'll be used to the new look by then or that my friend will convince me that the look is worth it. I was also thinking of treating myself to a straight edge razor shave and facial at a high end salon in San Diego that weekend for my birthday and wanted the full effect of the shave then. I do intend though, to go a day or two without shaving if I do get the $50 shave to get my money's worth out of it. :D