PDA

View Full Version : Ever fear for your safety while out?

Steff26
07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
We all know that this a violent world, and getting even worse I am afraid. I want to know what everyone does to try and keep themselves safe. I do most of my traveling alone most of the time. And given the nature of who we are, I would say that there is a high percentage that do the same. So what do you do to keep safe, are you proactive or reactive. I will go first. Either as Steve or Steff, I always carry a firearm(legally, I have a CWL from Florida) Now, I hope to never use it so I am always doing things like riding with the truck doors locked. Leaving at least one and a half car lengths if I am at a stoplight. (The normal rule is 1 car length but I have a big Chevy 4x4). I am always scanning everyone around me. If I carry a purse it is underneath my shoulder with my hand on the strap, and my weapon is never inside it. What does everyone else do?

dawnmarrie1961
07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Safety first, Honey. I always carry my blades with me. Strapped to my thigh if I'm wearing a dress or skirt. Just in case. Because you never know what you are going to run in to.
If I have to pull them out... I find that using a defensive/offensive crouched posture works well. This throws of the attacker off balance because from this position they have to lean forward and down to strike me. Most men prefer to fight erect which puts them at a disadvantage. In the animal kingdom size and strength doesn't always mean superior. Most of the time it is the small fast and vicious that prevail in a fight.

I usually have one of my dogs with me, on a short leash, which discourages would be morons. The dogs may look formidable but they would probably lick the attacker to death. I don't raise mean dogs.

As a rule I avoid negative sources,people,places and things.(That may make my lifestyle a little boring at times but I'm still here unscathed and very much alive.) I always try to plan ahead a consider every situation from all possible angles. Always leave yourself an "out" just in case you need it.

Be safe. Be smart.

MJ
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Being full time i have never been faced with any type of violence in my 5 years and i go every where. so i do feel safe

kasha
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I tend to stay away from situations that might cause trouble. Going to friendly places, taking cabs instead of walking, and going with people.

However, trouble often finds you no matter what you do. So when it does I can rely on my years of kickboxing and jujitsu.

Kasha

Lorileah
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
The main thing is to avoid situations that put you at risk no matter how you present. There are areas of Denver even the people who live there don't want to be out in after dark.

It concerns me that some feel the need to carry a weapon. Time it takes to remove the weapon, take off the safety, aim (because you never shoot randomly) and fire is way longer than you have in most instances. The law enforcement people don't know you are the white hat when they arrive and you are just as good a target as the "perp".

This question comes up frequently and we become two camps, the aware and the defensive. I think aware, no matter how you are dressed in far better than relying on reflexes and hoping you don't shoot some poor by-stander. When I drive my eyes are constantly moving and I make mental notes of escape routes. I can usually tell you what color and style of vehicle I have been near the last 2 minutes and if possible who is in the car when the windows are not over darkened. In public I am a people watcher not because I fear them but because I am interested in how they present, so I pay attention more than most. On the other side of that coin I can't remember names for nothing. Long term memory isn't my best asset when it comes to people.

Fear breeds more fear. Just be aware and think about where you go.

Stephanie Heplby
07-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Amen. Well said.

DenverMichelle
07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I can honestly say I have thought about it on many occassions. When I am able to go out dressed I make every attempt to stay in safe areas, well lite, crowded public areas.

dawnmarrie1961
07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
The main thing is to avoid situations that put you at risk no matter how you present. There are areas of Denver even the people who live there don't want to be out in after dark.

It concerns me that some feel the need to carry a weapon. Time it takes to remove the weapon, take off the safety, aim (because you never shoot randomly) and fire is way longer than you have in most instances. The law enforcement people don't know you are the white hat when they arrive and you are just as good a target as the "perp".

This question comes up frequently and we become two camps, the aware and the defensive. I think aware, no matter how you are dressed in far better than relying on reflexes and hoping you don't shoot some poor by-stander. When I drive my eyes are constantly moving and I make mental notes of escape routes. I can usually tell you what color and style of vehicle I have been near the last 2 minutes and if possible who is in the car when the windows are not over darkened. In public I am a people watcher not because I fear them but because I am interested in how they present, so I pay attention more than most. On the other side of that coin I can't remember names for nothing. Long term memory isn't my best asset when it comes to people.

I can agree with your sediment about fear breeding more fear. But just because I carry a knife doesn't mean I'm afraid of "men" it just means I know their nature. South Texas, near the border can be a very dangerous place. People disappear off the streets all the time down here. They are found weeks and months later in a ditch or a shallow grave their corpse decayed beyond all recognition. No body ever finds out who they were or who murdered them. Most people don't even seem to care. They are just grateful it wasn't them. The authorities down here are either to overwhelmed ,corrupt or just don't give a hoot.

Why do I live here if it's so bad? I chose to.

I don't mean to sound like the grim reaper but this is the world we live in. I'd like to believe the "fantasy" that the world out there is nice and that people treat each other decent. But that's not the "reality" of it.

I have to be prepared for the "reality".
The "fantasy" can get you killed.

I hope that someday it gets better down here and I will do every thing I can to make it that way. But today I live in the "now".

That's the world I have to deal with.

(I'm gonna log off now because this is all beginning to get a little intense for what started out as a good day.)

Kristy 56
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Steff,you're going to have me fearing my life the next time I step into the International Plaza Mall or Citrus Park. All kidding aside,some good tips,and you can never be too careful wherever you are.

JoAnne Wheeler
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
YES - while completely dressed and driving back from North Carolina, a man followed my vehicle for 200-300 miles - speeding up when I speeded up and slowing down when I slowed down - it was un-nerving - it made me respect the fears that GGs go through under similar circumstances - I eventually got away from him, but kept looking in my rearview mirror.

I guess that I truly feared for my safety.

JoAnne Wheeler

Olivia
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
In either male or female mode, I usually carry a pistol. I encourage my wife and daughter to do the same. To quote Johnny Winter:, "ya know that I'm not evil, I'm just havin' fun. There's so much sh*t in Texas, you're bound to step in some." :)
O

Prissy Linda
07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Go ahead...make my day.

Granny Gray
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Many areas in a Megopolis as big as Houston are unsafe after dark, especially for a woman alone. Good sense requires if you have to go there, be VERY careful. Once some years ago, I'd been to a TriEss meeting at the home of a very involved leader of the association: Jane Ellen Fairfax. Going and returning from her home I had to drive through one of the "less than desirable" areas. I had stopped for a red light just prior to entering a freeway To my left in the esplanade stood a thick row of Oleander bushes. On my passenger seat lay my .357 Magnum within easy reach. As I sat there, out of the Oleanders stepped a young black male with a snub-nosed revolver in his hand. He came up to my car. When he saw the gaping barrel of that .357 with the hammer cocked and the hollow points in the cylinder facing him. His intentions changed rather abruptly! He made for the Oleanders like an Olympic sprinter going for the gold. I had the "fist canon" with me because I knew the area and there had been a rash of car-jackings in Houston in recent weeks. But, that was years ago. I no longer go into the city very much and no longer am a member of TriEss. They long ago became a couples club with heavy interest on serving the needs of Married crossdressers and their wives. Being single, I was just a misfit. So, I left the group.

veryinn
07-21-2009, 02:55 PM
1. No guns
I discourage owning firearm. I know this opinion might annoy some people. However, I'm a believer of "you'll hurt people you love more likely than a stranger or offender."

2. Alternatives
Pepper spray and Taser(stun) are pretty good alternatives. If I have a daughter, I would buy them for her.

3. Common sense
Travel or attend party in groups; don't take short-cuts, stay on major roads...etc etc. You get the idea.

gender_blender
07-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I find that accessorizing with a black belt in Shotokan karate helps confidence tremendously.

Lorileah
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
On my passenger seat lay my .357 Magnum within easy reach. As I sat there, out of the Oleanders stepped a young black male with a snub-nosed revolver in his hand. He came up to my car. When he saw the gaping barrel of that .357 with the hammer cocked and the hollow points in the cylinder facing him. His intentions changed rather abruptly! He made for the Oleanders like an Olympic sprinter going for the gold.

You had a cocked and loaded gun on the seat? Breaks so many rules I can't even start thinking.

He saw the hollow points? That man had great eye sight. I am scared and I am not even armed here.

dawnmarrie1961
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
"It's a wonderful world !" Nat King Cole was singing on the radio when I woke up this afternoon after a brief nap.Every time I start to feel down I catch a tune playing on the radio that brightens my day and fills me with hope and turns me toward being more optimistic. Music soothes the savage "breast" (another boob joke.:heehee:)

( Then you hear the awful boom-boom music emanating from a jacked up 57 Chevy as it screeches its tires going around the corner. Watch in horror as its occupant gang bangers open fire with automatic weapons in park filled with kids just to cap one guy they didn't like or just happened to wander onto the wrong playground.)

Sometimes you might watch a movie like Armageddon and think to yourself . "My god I think they finally got it! If everybody in the world would, for just one moment, be concentrating on the same thing, saving the world, then maybe it would bring them all close enough together to realize that all the things that they thought were important, all the petty differences, don't really amount to a hill of beans."

(Of course then I noticed how much Ben Afflack reminded me of the guy that my oldest daughter married and that kind of burst my optimistic bubble.)

Sometimes it's a book. Yes ,even the bible. That makes you think. And you think to yourself "If someone can write words like this that express so much truth then maybe there is hope for mankind after all."

(Then you pick up the newspaper and read about some tragedy or u.s. military action in some far off country, where we really don't need to be, and there goes the optimistic bubble again.)

Sometimes you hear or see someone on the street that goes out of their way to help somebody in need. And you think to yourself " What a nice person to put themselves out like that and actually help another human being. If everybody would just do that. What a wonder world this would be!

(Then you see some guy beating the hell out of his girl friend and you turn around and walk the other way. Don't want to get involved. And there goes the optimistic bubble again.)

It seems like for every positive you see in this world there always has to be a negative lurking around the corner. For every Yin a Yang.

The whole point I'm trying to make here ( I know I'm probably not doing a god job of it.) is that we should all learn to be more optimistic about the world in which we live and not dwell so much on the negative (Be ready for it anyway.) and try in our own small way to improve our conditions and the conditions off all those around us with a little bit of kindness. Don't turn away with a blind eye from injustice even if it means putting yourself out there in the open.

Together we can all make the world into a ....wonderful place.

Nuff said.

kellycan27
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I use common sense, I go where and do what I please. I really don't worry about my safety..but I try and stay aware of my surroundings. I don't carry any weapons, but if you do... it's your choice.

Olivia
07-21-2009, 04:21 PM
You had a cocked and loaded gun on the seat? Breaks so many rules I can't even start thinking.

He saw the hollow points? That man had great eye sight. I am scared and I am not even armed here.

I would guess that she cocked the gun when she saw the trouble approaching. Maybe? Very prudent I'd say. As for a loaded gun on the seat? An unloaded gun simply doesn't have the same effect I'm afraid.:straightface: Uh, the main "rule" is survival. Yeah, those hollow points do show up well. They must've really gotten that young man's attention. I'm glad they weren't needed.:) O

Shelly Preston
07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
For those of you who may be concerned I think you should to read this

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86109

tricia_uktv
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a danger song I sing to myself whenever I see anything that may cause problems. I also have a wink and a smile. I suspect its not as bad in the UK and certainly not as bad wherte I go dressed.

Fab Karen
07-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Like many who go out, I've never run into violence, and a big part of that is knowing where you're going, avoiding places where trouble might be. And a gun will not stop bullets from another gun. Be aware & cautious, but EXPECTING violence is not the answer.

Nicki B
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
If you live your life in fear, then I'm sad for you. What a miserable, limited existence.. :sad:

Tamara Croft
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Either as Steve or Steff, I always carry a firearm(legally, I have a CWL from Florida)Wow and wow to all the rest that carry firearms, you'd never manage in the UK, you aren't allowed to carry them :rolleyes:

Olivia
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow and wow to all the rest that carry firearms, you'd never manage in the UK, you aren't allowed to carry them :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. What a sad and depressing place! Please be careful over there.

btw, ever check the stats on violent assaults both before and after the gun bans in the UK? But, it is a different culture than the US. Different history too. Different is good.:) O

trannie T
07-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I started a thread a year ago asking if anyone had had any real trouble while out and dressed. There were many replies and the worst experience was one person getting heckled. Some of us worry too much.

Elly E
07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Well umm. To be honest, I haven't been out much dressed, but even in guy mode I always carry. I am aware of peoples' negative opinions towards guns, but hey, thats your opinion, right? ^^

So yeah, at any given time I'm carrying a gun, plus my Krav Maga experience and at least one knife. I'm paranoid, I know, but I HAVE been mugged twice. I'd rather not risk it whether I'm Elly or the male me.

Plus a gun is like a purse, once you start carrying one you feel the need to have it on you all the time. Otherwise you're naked. O_O

Angelofsomekind
07-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I always stay with people. I had one incident once that could have gone too far, but he was an admirere who didn't want to take No for an answer. He eventually got the hint, but if it comes down to it, I'm a second degree black belt, I have some tricks I can use. If it's an admirer it's easier to, they will let you in close.

Elly E
07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
If it's an admirer it's easier to, they will let you in close.

Crossdressers. The ultimate in assassin. :devil:

Rogina B
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I use common sense as others do.I think peppergas is a good thing to have handy[on my purse strap] and in boy mode on my keyring.I have used it before in boy mode and seen it's effects.However,watch the wind direction!

Tamara Croft
07-21-2009, 09:21 PM

btw, ever check the stats on violent assaults both before and after the gun bans in the UK? But, it is a different culture than the US. Different history too. Different is good.:) OThere never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing. I never felt the need to ever carry a gun when I was in the states for a month, I felt perfectly safe and at home in Philadelphia.

TxKimberly
07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Like others have said, I've never had an issue. Don't go places your common sense tells you that you shouldn't, and you will be fine.

Miranda09
07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Like others have said, I've never had an issue. Don't go places your common sense tells you that you shouldn't, and you will be fine.

I pretty much agree with Kimberly here. It may sound secure to carry a firearm or any other kind of weapon, but in reality, don't bet on it. Firing a weapon is one thing...firing one to cause harm to another is completely different.

As for an issue of someone following you, just find a police station, pull in to it and see how far you are followed after that. That's what they're there for.

Kate Lynn
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes and no,I really hate confrontational situations,but if confronted with no avenue of escape,what happens is their fault.

Olivia
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
There never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing. I never felt the need to ever carry a gun when I was in the states for a month, I felt perfectly safe and at home in Philadelphia.

For your consideration hun:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Gun+ban+in+United+Kingdom&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=Gun+ban+in+United+Kingdom&aqi=&fp=KxYPMM6r3XA

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/10/10/another-uk-gun-control-failure-james-oyebola-murdered-despite-the-gun-ban/

http://www.newsmax.com/inside_cover/guns_england/2007/08/26/27556.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1950860/the_uk_gun_ban.html

:) O

Kate Lynn
07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
When I lived in Florida I had a carry permit,when I moved out west,it helped me get a permit in the state I moved too,I have never had to use my handgun for self defense,I hope I never have to use it.

Usually my demeaner is enough to convince some bonehead it's in their best interest to try this with someone else,I'm really no one they want to mess with,even without the handgun.

Fortunately we Americans have the right to own firearms,but that right is constantly under attack,I once read in a history book what happened when some guy named King George ordered all,musketts,ball,and powder confiscated from the colonists.

I certainly do hope no one ever tries that again.

Scotty
07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Fear is a state of being - it will happen to all of us in a situation.

What you do with that fear is how you will decide if you are a victim or not.

To quote Rambo "I always thought the mind was the best weapon"..

Since there are so many poeple up here that fear guns and want to force their belief system on me I won't go into any other details about weapons, except to say I do carry a pistol at times as well - and as a former cop and CURRENT firearms trainer I will say if you carry one TRAIN with it. It's not doing you or innocent bystanders any good to have it otherwise...

I practice Martial arts 3-4 nights a week not just for my slender girly figure but for the confidence it gives me, the knowledge it gives me......If you see my hips and want to know why they look femme - it's because of the E! But it's also because you use your hips a LOT in Martial arts - a LOT.....:) Work those hips out!! I had female hips in HS because I boxed, now they are back because of this....there's a plus!!!

If you fear weapons try Martial Arts - it's a healthy thing to do. it's fun too and can add to your girly figure and cause extremely quick weight loss, in a healthy way......gives you energy, there are 1000 reasons why to do Martial Arts....

The other day someone knocked a coffee cup off a desk at work and I was right there - snatched it up before it hit the ground - improved reflexes - every black belt will tell you this!!!!

MissConstrued
07-22-2009, 02:14 AM
The best weapon really is the mind, and the best way is to maintain awareness, and avoid bad areas or situations. Anything else, like choice of weapons, or not, is secondary.

I can honestly say that I've never been concerned while out in girl mode, but I'm particular about where I go and what I do. There have been other times, however, when my personal safety was jeopardized... largely due to the line of work I was in at the time. Different story.

1. No guns
I discourage owning firearm. I know this opinion might annoy some people. However, I'm a believer of "you'll hurt people you love more likely than a stranger or offender."

You really need to check your facts. That's tired old propaganda, and it's utter bullshit.

We have this little thing called "training." I shoot competitively, and I can tell you that even the rankest of amateurs are not likely to hit the wrong human-sized target even under pressure.

Cops are a different story, however. They never seem to get the same quality of training civilians do, and when you hear about stray bullets taking out innocents, 9 times out of 10, they came from a cop's gun. Hey, here's a thought: maybe we should disarm the cops?

Believe whatever you like. Just know that you're wrong, and know that you have the freedom to believe whatever you like because of men with guns.

Deb The Brunette
07-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Isn't paranoia a wonderful thing :brolleyes:

NoraTV
07-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Steff, I am a Florida girl like you (a little further south of you).

Unfortunately I always feel the need to bring some "protection" with me (like you, perfectly legal). I have never ever been in anything even remotely close to a situation in which I felt in danger. But given the violence in American culture and in our home state (which I love passionately), a girl has to be careful.

This might be a West Coast - East Coast thing. I used to live in Miami and did not feel as vulnerable as I do on the West Coast of Florida.

One bit of good news, though. I was pulled over by the deputy sheriffs about six months ago for a broken tail light. (It really was broken.) I was dressed up and coming back from a party (stone cold sober, I might add). My appearance did not match the mug shot on my license. The officers did not miss a beat. They were calm and acted as if my situation was perfectly normal.

I said. "Officers, you might notice that the picture on my license does not look a lot like me."

They said, "Don't worry. They never do."

One of the officers asked if I preferred to be addressed as ma'am or sir. She was not being a wise-ass about it, either. They merely pointed out "Ma'am, you might not be aware of this, but your tail light is cracked and is really bright and could make it difficult for other drivers to see the road."

So, protect yourself as you feel necessary, Steff. But, at least in my part of the Sunshine State, just a hundred miles or so south of you, you need not fear the cops.

Fab Karen
07-22-2009, 04:51 AM
You have the freedom to believe what you like by being born.

Nicki B
07-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Wow and wow to all the rest that carry firearms, you'd never manage in the UK, you aren't allowed to carry them :rolleyes:

Don't want to worry you, but in the past I've done open topped vehicle patrols around Worksop behind a GP machine gun... No live ammunition, though. ;)

btw, ever check the stats on violent assaults both before and after the gun bans in the UK? But, it is a different culture than the US. Different history too. Different is good.:) O

There is a VERY big difference - simply because (despite my above comment) the UK is not awash with guns.

There was a huge fuss in the region where I live about ten years ago at how the murder rate had peaked at a (for us) simply enormous number - four. (Three died in one family due to a boyfriend going berserk with a machete.)

I just don't think you can compare that to the USA, particularly with our much higher population densities (there is 20% of the US population in a group of islands that would comfortably fit inside a corner of nearly any one of your states)?

It's a different mindset. We don't need them to defend ourselves, because very few other people have them..

But guns isn't what this thread was about, is it - and it's sooo predictable how threads here about guns go, people get so fiercely protective.

The key point is defeating the fear in your mind. And if the threat is really real (so often we seem to overblow things) - well, why don't you move? :D

Tamara Croft
07-22-2009, 05:07 AM
For your consideration hun:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Gun+ban+in+United+Kingdom&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=Gun+ban+in+United+Kingdom&aqi=&fp=KxYPMM6r3XA

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/10/10/another-uk-gun-control-failure-james-oyebola-murdered-despite-the-gun-ban/

http://www.newsmax.com/inside_cover/guns_england/2007/08/26/27556.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1950860/the_uk_gun_ban.html

:) OYour first link doesn't work, the second link is not applicable, the third link took me to a nasty virus download, so I dread to think what is on your pc now and the fourth link is not about what I said either. Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets. The gun laws here are regarding keeping them in your home, which is also against the law unless you have a damn good reason and a license. But that's besides the point, if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

If you want to protect yourself, learn self defence, take up a martial art, weapons is not the answer, could you live with yourself if you shot a kid cus he tried to snatch your bag?

Fab Karen
07-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Newsmax, as reputable as the Enquirer.

Angelofsomekind
07-22-2009, 07:02 AM
What I always hear about weapons is that most people who have them, don't know how to use then, and end up getting them taken away and used against them.

Starr
07-22-2009, 07:46 AM
i watch out around me at all times and many times i care my weapon. i don't expect my house to burn but i insure it, like i don't expect to need my weapon, but i have it. Sometimes areas that seem very safe go wrong, i once had a girl pull a weapn and fire 3 shots at her boyfriend across the trunk of my car as he drove away. This was a very "safe" parking lot. Be aware of what is going on, and the area you are in, do that and if you are carrying a weapon, you won't need to use it.

Frédérique
07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Do I fear for my safety while I’m out? Well, I feel vulnerable at times, but this comes and goes. I actually like that feeling – it’s exciting, and keeps me aware of my surroundings. I wouldn’t go dressed into any place where I’m not wanted. Where I live the genders are very separated, right from birth. I haven’t talked to anyone about it, but I can tell that people here are practically “at war” with alternative life-styles. You don’t see them, but the guns are there, I assume for defense. I know I have to be careful, but what else is new?

There never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing.

OK – two questions:
If you’ve never been allowed to carry arms in the UK, how come Lara Croft always has two pistols strapped to her thighs? At Croft Manor, no less? Is she exempt because she’s rich, curvy and fictitious? Just wondering – I’m a Tomb Raider fan…
Also, and this may be the most important question, how do you get blood stains out of pantyhose?

mklinden2010
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Actually, it's not a dangerous world - at least not here in the USA where the crime statistics consistently show less and less crime, or, no great increase in crime, decade after decade.

Relax.

What's probably needed more than a knife or a gun is practice with verbal judo - and the willingness to "go off" on someone if you have to...

If people are going to rob you, they're going to get the drop on you and rob you as efficiently as possible. "No much, no fuss." If they put a gun on you, give them the money, the car keys, whatever... Odds are, they just want the loot and have little concern about you so long as you don't make a fuss. If they want something else... Well, it's a gun they're holding. Good luck doing much about it so long as the barrel is pointing right at you.

If they're going to beat you up, they're usually going to confront you, and/or gang up on you first. Pay attention to that sort of thing and be prepared to talk your way out, "Yep, I am a guy in a dress - you got me there. But, I try to keep the wife happy and this is what she likes..."

In any event, long story short, mind your own business, be pleasant, and use common sense to avoid trouble. If, however, you're set upon, raise hell and get in some licks as quick as you can. I've done martial arts and boxed, and spent time on the gun range. Believe me, anyone's elbows, feet, nails, etc. hurt like hell when they hit anyone else's flesh. Same for a rock upside the head, or, a phone, chair, ash tray, beer mug, etc... Just do it and do it like hell until you can't do it anymore or everyone agrees that that's enough. Point is, don't make it a "free lunch" for them either.

It's not a dangerous world unless you are totally unaware of your surroundings and your defenses.

Which, if you just read this, you no longer are.

Guns, by the way, are fine if you have one in your hand before you need it. Knives are great too, but slippery - hard to keep them from getting the damn things away from you and then back on you... And, both, unfortunately, tend to give "false security" to the bearer AND create major problems in terms of later defenses against charges of assault and/or murder.

"Premeditation" is a bitch to argue around when you habitually carry - not to mention many places you go forbid-by-law such weapons and being caught in the wrong place with such weapons is an automatic felony conviction.

Which gets back to common sense: If it's that much trouble, don't do it.

DianneW
07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
A few years ago, I was fully dressed so my wife & I went for a walk in Lincoln Park around midnight, it was fun, warm summer night, slight breeze blowing thru my hair & around my legs, what a great feeling. WE walked for about 15min. when I noticed a strange looking man coming toward us. In the dim park light, I could see his eyes were fixed on us as he kept approaching, that scared me . Not wanting to get into any kind of hassle, especially dressed the way I was, I made an obvious move with my hand . Under one of the park lights, so he could see, I unzipped my purse & moved my hand inside it as if I were going for something, of course all I had inside was my wallet, perfume & lipstick but he didn't know that. He made an abrupt left turn & headed out across the grass. We stopped & watched him disappear into the shadows for a moment & then we did an about-face & headed back to the car. Our hearts were pounding as we locked the doors & went home. I don't know what might have happened if he didn't turn around, but now I am very careful & aware of my surroundings. I won't make that mistake twice

Rachel Morley
07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I go out all the time and I've never had a problem, never even felt vulnerable, just lucky I guess. My safety measures are that I lock the doors of my car when I'm driving, I keep my phone fully charged, and I have a small pepper spray in my purse. That's all I do other than I used to be a 3rd Kyu Brown Belt in karate about 10 years ago.

Olivia
07-22-2009, 09:50 AM
if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

If you want to protect yourself, learn self defence, take up a martial art, weapons is not the answer, could you live with yourself if you shot a kid cus he tried to snatch your bag?

Self-defense or not huh? What a country! Sheesh...where's my passport?:heehee:

Yes, I sure could. He shouldn't snatch anyone's bag. Mine, the least of all. Btw, where I live, it is legal to use deadly force to protect one's life OR property.

MissConstrued said it best though: "Believe whatever you like. Just know that you're wrong, and know that you have the freedom to believe whatever you like because of men with guns."

And some of you thought I didn't understand?!? :doh:

This thread isn't really about guns though. Heck, I don't always carry...sometimes I just poke my tongue at the bad guys, or sing a lil' song, maybe throw in a judo-chop! I rarely ever feel threatened and have never had any trouble TG-related.

:) :kiss: O

Lorileah
07-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Sometimes areas that seem very safe go wrong, i once had a girl pull a weapn and fire 3 shots at her boyfriend across the trunk of my car as he drove away. This was a very "safe" parking lot.

naught for nothing but why was she carrying a gun and why was she shooting at her boyfriend in a public parking area across the trunk of your car? You just reinforced Tamara's point. If guns were illegal she would have had to throw a shoe and you would not have powder residue on your paint. Just sayin...

Now exactly where did those rounds lodge? Did you cover and draw down on her because she was blindly shooting?

MissConstrued
07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
You have the freedom to believe what you like by being born.

Try being born in China. North Korea. The West Bank. Shall I go on?

What I always hear about weapons is that most people who have them, don't know how to use then, and end up getting them taken away and used against them.

So, you can either continue to fear weapons and be a victim...

...or you could learn to use your weapon. But you didn't think of that, did you?

If guns were illegal she would have had to throw a shoe

Guns are illegal in Washington, District of Corruption, and Chicago now too. Ah, no more gunfire! :brolleyes:

Come on, Lorileah... you're smarter than that. Does anyone stop speeding or dumping used motor oil in their backyards because it's illegal?

Lorileah
07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Come on, Lorileah... you're smarter than that. Does anyone stop speeding or dumping used motor oil in their backyards because it's illegal?

I am not that naive, sister ;) I am totally aware in this country (even in lieu of the constitution) there are so many illegal hand guns that they will never go away until something better comes along. You are trained (and several others here claim to be) in the proper use of a firearm (except carrying a cocked and loaded magnum on your passenger seat with hollow point ammo) but there are just as many, and probably more who are nothing more than shoot-em up cowboys (think of the lead slinging in North Denver where nothing is hit or some poor teenage girl who was walking home from getting ice cream). We know that most of the cheap poorly made and inaccurate firearms are in the hands of cheap, poorly made wannabes. Which brings up why you feel the need to carry. :) I hope you never get in that situation. Somehow I think you reserve that as a last resort.

NaughtyMichelle
07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Your first link doesn't work, the second link is not applicable, the third link took me to a nasty virus download, so I dread to think what is on your pc now and the fourth link is not about what I said either. Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets. The gun laws here are regarding keeping them in your home, which is also against the law unless you have a damn good reason and a license. But that's besides the point, if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

Self-defense, like many issues, is a very personal matter. But you are wrong in saying that in the UK you were NEVER allowed to "carry a gun in the streets." Between 1870 and 1920, there were no national prohibitions against carry. That changed with the Firearms Act of 1920. As you know, there have been many more restrictions (bans) placed on ownership since. Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but your statement that "weapons is not the answer" does not reflect the reality of a 5'4", 120 pound women facing a couple of 6'1", 220 pound thugs bent on rape. Despite the popularized image of stunning Kung Fu kicks, once things get to grappling distance, the woman is at a serious--if not fatal--disadvantage. I don't believe anyone here advocates shooting a "kid because he tried to snatch your bag." Owning and carrying a gun is a huge responsibility. but please don't denigrate those who make the choice to take responsibility for their own safety, and that of their loved ones. I hope and pray that none of us ever have to face such decisions. Peace and love to you all.

Bernice
07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't improve on NaughtyMichelle's response about personal defense.

Back on topic however, I always fear for my safety when going out. That is the number one reason I haven't been outside the house in almost two years.

Agreed, most people are non-violent. Still, it's not hard to see 300 people just walking down a downtown city sidewalk (crossdressed) for a few minutes. If only 1% of only men are violent, odds are still better than even that you will be confronted, and perhaps, worse.

Going to a concert? Forget it. Not for me anyway, not in Kansas.

vivianann
07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
I go out enfemme everywhere, big cities, small towns, and while traveling. I do not have fear when out enfemme. However I am always aware of my surroundings, and I do not go places where it is dangerous, I am big enough and strong enough to do some serious damage to someone should they try to cause me any harm. I have used physical self defence while dressed enfemme, and yes I inflicted some very serious damage to the man who attacked me, he was not able to hurt anyone after I was done with him. As far as I am concerned we have nothing to fear but fear itself. I now enjoy the freedom I experience enfemme since I have broken the shackles of fear.

BTW I have a c.c. permit.

Granny Gray
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
A gun without ammo is deadly. When a perp can see the weapon, particularly a wheel gun in which the loads are clearly visible when it's staring you in the face, the reality effect is startling. In the incident I related I was directly under a bright street light in the wee hours of the morning. The perp came within inches of the driver side window where the business end of my Magnum was less than 2 feet from his nose. He didn't need superman's vision to see robbing me was a losing proposition for him. The .357 wasn't cocked on the seat, but It was loaded, of course. People unfamiliar with revolvers can and will assume all manner of unrealistic things, of course. I've been robbed at gun point in places I didn't think I was vulnerable and was unarmed. I knew, in this instance, I was vulnerable and took precautions. Rest assured the .357 was no purse pistol and I no longer own it anyway. In fact, since I never venture into those parts of the city, I don't even own a hand gun any more. I have no need to venture into the seamy rotten gut of the city, so I don't feel the need for any sort of "equalizer". The situation in the UK was mentioned. The venerable "mother land" has a very different culture, is a much smaller place, is probably a more homogenious society with less of the things that "breed" crime.
I'm a girl of 'early to bed, early to rise. That makes me healthy, not weathy, but wise."
Jaye

Tamara Croft
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Between 1870 and 1920, there were no national prohibitions against carry. :brolleyes: I hardly think that is relevant to this century...

Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but your statement that "weapons is not the answer" does not reflect the reality of a 5'4", 120 pound women facing a couple of 6'1", 220 pound thugs bent on rape.Well you tell that to our police force in this country. I happen to be 5'4" tall and a woman and I do karate, which includes self defense. One of our trainers is probably about 6 foot and pretty well built. I have no problems kicking his butt in our self defense classes. Please don't put us smaller women in the 'oh I'm going to be raped cus I'm so small and defenseless' crap category. Violence, doesn't beget violence, you're more likely to have the gun taken off you and be shot with it, than protecting yourself with it.

Olivia
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Relevant to this perhaps?

"Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets"

Never is a long, long time. :D

It's ok though; we won't hold that against you...:) O

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

Nicki B
07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Also, and this may be the most important question, how do you get blood stains out of pantyhose?

Hi, stranger... :wave:

..both, unfortunately, tend to give "false security" to the bearer

That would be my experience. When you don't have the security blanket, you're more aware, much more wary, much less confrontational..

Guns are illegal in Washington, District of Corruption, and Chicago now too. Ah, no more gunfire! :brolleyes:

And just how many illegal guns do you have floating around, because you make and sell so many over there?

That guy was me. I was innocently strolling through the park and I saw this really scary couple of women - in fact at least one of them looked like a man dressed up. Right there in full view she dived into her bag for a gun! They were obviously muggers.

Boy, I headed out of there in a flash and phoned the police, but the couple had disappeared by the time they arrived.

Just goes to show, we law-abiding folk have to keep our wits about us. Whaddya mean, paranoid?

Katie, you beat me to it.. :D

Sally24
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
As others have said, I have really never had a dangerous experience while out dressed. I do try to pay attention to my surroundings and do not put myself in harms way.

I have felt like a vulnerable female just once. Last year I went to testify in Boston. We got into the State House at 9am but didn't finish up until around 9:30pm. I walked out and into the streets and then realized it was now after dark, most of the businesses were closed, and I had to walk across the public common. There had been reports of the increased crime rate in the common at night. At this point I knew how women feel all the time when out by themselves. It was not a good feeling but it helped me appreciate their lives in just one more way. Needless to say that I paid particular attention as I walked to the parking garage and had plans to kick off my sling-backs and run if need be.

I find the UK versus the US gun law fight particularly boring. Argue about proper behavior with guns and situations but comparing the UK and US will always be apples and oranges. The US has a much more diverse population both by ethnic origin and culturally, a huge size difference in area, 500% the population, and other than English being the unofficial national language, very different places. Lets find something more interesting to talk about!

Deborah Jane
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't feel even slightly scared or feel the need to carry arms or know self defence when i go out dressed

I have my own personal minder.........SHEILA :D

sherri
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't post much on the forum any more, but back when I posted a lot, I was a stalwart proponent/encourager for going out, assuring the "fraidy cats" that most of the danger is imagined. And it is true that for years I've been going out without a single unpleasant, let alone dangerous, incident. But as serendipity would have it, in the last month I've had three separate encounters that prompt me to add a word of caution and advice to this thread.

Fortunately, each of the incidences amounted to not much more than verbal harassment, but any one of them had the potential to escalate into a physically threatening situation had I reacted unwisely. One of the situations could have gotten nasty had I not been able to simply get in my car and drive away, and the thought did occur to me at the time that having a weapon in the car would have been a comforting thing. But in the most alarming incident, I am satisfied that it was the cell phone in my hand, plainly visible to the cretin involved, that made him walk away -- that and the fact that while I was careful not to antagonize him, I showed no fear either.

Now, I'm a Texan, and I have no problem with law-abiding citizens owning hand guns. I own one myself, and would be willing to use if there was no other way out. But for us gurls out and about, discretion really is the better part of valor, given the choice, and don't underestimate the power of a cell phone as a defensive weapon.

Now if I could just find a phone with a built-in taser ...

Scotty
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
If you do your research violent crime is *NOT* down in the UK - it's UP - and it was hidden from the UN.
The UK got popped for reporting like 80 homicides when in reality it was closer to 16,000.

In an effort to make it "appear" that a gun ban is reducing violent crime.
Knives scare me far worse than guns....

Here is such an example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034472/SIX-stabbed-death-just-24-hours-Blade-Britains-knife-epidemic-spirals-control.html

MsJanessa
07-22-2009, 07:38 PM
nope never have felt physically threatened---use to carry some pepper spray in my purse but never used it----never felt like I had to---speaking of the District of Corruption I just moved here where there is currently a big debate going on about gun control---the U.S Supreme court having over turned the Districts law outlawing the ownership of firearms last year---I'm amazed as I walked down the street at the number of armed security guards in this city---almost every building including mine has a private police force all armed with pistols--just at a glance I would say that there are more armed private cops here than any place Ive ever been and it doesn't make me feel any safer to see a bunch of rent a cops with little or no training packing heat.

AmandaM
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Fab Karen
07-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Try being born in China. North Korea. The West Bank. Shall I go on?
They have the freedom to believe what they want, even if it's not legal to display that belief, simply by being born.

LilSissyStevie
07-22-2009, 11:54 PM
A girl should always use protection!

:love:

vivianann
07-23-2009, 02:03 AM
I like your pic Lilsissystevie. you are ready to do battle with small army:D

Kristy 56
07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
:D Got to LOVE the humor. What a picture .

DianneW
07-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I gotta say this---- "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" BTW thanks Katie, I'm may be ugly, but my wife is cute.:)

Lorileah
07-23-2009, 10:48 AM
As I said I avoid places that are dangerous so I feel safer. I have learned that I should avoid Texas and Florida from this thread ;) Oh and to go out with MissConstrued if I need protection :)

Kate Lynn
07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Gun Control;The theory that a woman found dead in an alley,raped and strangled with her own pantyhose,is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound!

Am I supposed to believe it's better to be a victim and a stastic,thats the reallity of it.

Nicki B
07-23-2009, 02:52 PM
If you do your research violent crime is *NOT* down in the UK - it's UP - and it was hidden from the UN.
The UK got popped for reporting like 80 homicides when in reality it was closer to 16,000.

In an effort to make it "appear" that a gun ban is reducing violent crime.
Knives scare me far worse than guns....

Here is such an example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034472/SIX-stabbed-death-just-24-hours-Blade-Britains-knife-epidemic-spirals-control.html

LOL - if your only evidence is the Daily Mail, you're in trouble.. Look at the standard of the comments? :D And 6 deaths in 60 million for the whole country is huge by comparison to the US, isn't it? :rolleyes:

A girl should always use protection

But how do you use it? You can only carry it over your shoulder - it's not balanced for one hand - you can't aim the thing, it'll be useless at any sort of range... The only thing it looks good for is taking off door hinges? :heehee:

Am I supposed to believe it's better to be a victim and a stastic,thats the reallity of it.

And people who quote things like that are just implanting a climate of fear. How often do things like that really happen? :doh:

Olivia
07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
LOL - if your only evidence is the Daily Mail, you're in trouble.. Look at the standard of the comments? :D And 6 deaths in 60 million for the whole country is huge by comparison to the US, isn't it? :rolleyes:

But how do you use it? You can only carry it over your shoulder - it's not balanced for one hand - you can't aim the thing, it'll be useless at any sort of range... The only thing it looks good for is taking off door hinges? :heehee:

And people who quote things like that are just implanting a climate of fear. How often do things like that really happen? :doh:

How often do they have to happen?

btw, I would love to hear more about your time behind that MG in the open turret? That sounds interesting. O

mklinden2010
07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
>>>And given the nature of who we are, I would say that there is a high percentage that do the same. So what do you do to keep safe, are you proactive or reactive.

Both proactive and reactive.

But first, what's this "nature of who we are" stuff? "We" as men in dresses, "we" as people in the wrong body? "We" as people always in the wrong because, "That's just wrong!"? "We" as people sometimes in a tight spot and alone?

Pfffftttt.

It's the same deal, no matter who "we" turns out to be.

Be proactive.

Think about things that could go wrong - and think about what could be wrong with your responses.

The entire "knife and gun" debate really centers on where the things are when you need them. If you have a HAND gun, or, a PALM knife at the ready when you need it - great! Odds are, however, most the time you'll have to "draw" and that takes time and the other person is not just going to be standing there counting to five...

Be reactive. Consider where you're going and arm/disarm accordingly. Same as when you're in a situation and you realize things could be about to change. Again, a drink glass, a shoe, a sharp poke in the eye might be more useful than any gun or knife in the same situation. And, consider NOT escalating a situation. When confronted, do NOT whip out your knife, they, and/or their pals, may then think it a good idea to whip out theirs. Can o' worms that you opened...

Long story short, be aware, get some practice at both attack and defense, and don't be a punching bag. Or, if you're going to be one, be a tougher one and one that will punch back.

It's not a dangerous world, not really. But, you don't want to walk around blindly or stupidly. No one solution fits all situations and the more you know, the less advantage "they" will ever have.

Good question. Too bad it's all about knives and guns in most the responses.

Bricks, pens, hands, pins, knees, rocks, elbows, teeth... All those things are handy too and most the time you don't have to make any special effort to have them with you. Some of them are always around...

Oh, and no, I am no more concerned about my safety, one way or the other, depending on how I am dressed. If I have a problem, I'll figure out something to do about it and it will be about the same response because I always walk about with the same brain, head, hands, feet, etc.

Only the accessories change...

Lorileah
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM

The most recent numbers I can find on firearm related homicides per 100,000 people

U.S 3.72 (2004/1993)

Britain .15 (1994) that is 5% of the US. By extrapolation using the logic that guns decrease homicides then if England allowed guns, there would be even less. Does not hold up does it? By contrast having a gun ban decreases homicide deaths 95% (at least in Britain)

# (Krug 1998) EG Krug, KE Powell and LL Dahlberg. "Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middle-income countries.", International Journal of Epidemiology 1998. [2] Statistics among 36 countries between 1990 and 1995.

These trends also coincide with suicides (7.5 and .2) and unintentional deaths by firearm. (.59 and .3 respectively, there is a closer relation here because they still allow hunting in Britain).

All of the statistics of the Brits being more violent (more crime) may be true but assaults with firearms are lower and the numbers indicate that if we did arm the Brits the statistics could be worse.

Here is another interesting tidbit
"Suicides accounted for 55 percent of the nation's nearly 31,000 firearm deaths in 2005, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More than 90 percent of suicide attempts using guns are successful, while the success rate for jumping from high places was 34 percent. The success rate for drug overdose was 2 percent, the brief said, citing studies."

The right to bear arms is listed in the constitution (second amendment) and won't be going away. Interpretations will change. Carry a gun if you will. The OP was how do you protect yourself. I will take some credit for the off topic arguments but lets get back on topic here

Tommie T.
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
With or without carrying a firearm being aware of whats around you and avoiding places and situations that maybe unsafe is most important.You must practice and train yourself to do this whether in The United Kingdom or the US.It's too late to close the barn door in the US as to guns-they are out there and the outlaws will not give them up.Most and statistics prove this, of the people killed or injured are indeed the bad guys,some of us good guys get in the way or go nuts occasionally.Avoid,run,change direction,scream,shout fire and fight like hell but never submit!You odds of being injured are dramatically greater if you give in to any demands.But again awarness and avoidance is the best defense.As a former Marine and Viet Nam vet I do have some other options,and in Michigan you can carry a concealed weapon and yes some of us civilians are as well or better trained than the average police officer.That is my statement on the use of firearms.

AmandaM
07-23-2009, 08:24 PM
To answer the original question. I am not scared of bozos, only the cops. I don't want my hobby to be public knowledge. For the bozos, I figure I can take most of them. And who wants to be beat up by a transvestite! LOL

Fab Karen
07-24-2009, 06:36 AM
The right to bear arms is listed in the constitution (second amendment) and won't be going away.
"A well-regulated militia being necessary..."

Lorileah
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
c'mon Katie, didn't you read all those posts about how dangerous Britain is? Now France, nice quiet little country, don't want no fight ;) Oh and Italy...always wanted to be pinched.

And yes Karen, that is how it was supposed to be interpreted but congress and the supreme court have read it differently.

Damn off topic again

Olivia
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
And yes Karen, that is how it was supposed to be interpreted but congress and the supreme court have read it differently.

So, who says it's otherwise? "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."...seems pretty clear to many of us. :straightface:

Please note that the Second Amendment doesn't give us the right to keep and arm bears though.

Come on now, please let's stay "on topic".:) O

Nicki B
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
But guns isn't what this thread was about, is it - and it's sooo predictable how threads here about guns go, people get so fiercely protective.

It's always the same. People have entrenched positions and posts on an internet message board aren't going to change the way they feel...

Can I refer you to post #24?

Odds are, however, most the time you'll have to "draw" and that takes time

Most of the time - by a very long way, nothing's going to happen. :rolleyes:

It's not a dangerous world, not really. But, you don't want to walk around blindly or stupidly. No one solution fits all situations and the more you know, the less advantage "they" will ever have.

Indeed...

To answer the original question. I am not scared of bozos, only the cops.

Why? I feel safer when the boys in blue are around - trouble is much less likely to start. :strugglin

c'mon Katie, didn't you read all those posts about how dangerous Britain is?

Ah... Friday night, down the pub in the town centre? :D Lord Wellington said of the Brits 'I don't know what they do to the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me...'

Olivia
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Can I refer you to post #24?

Why? Please feel free to believe what you want. It really is OK. I don't live in fear. I do take precautions. I am a responsible gun-owner who takes the responsibilities of that ownership quite seriously, much as I take the Second Amendment. If that bothers you, or any others here, then , well, I'm sorry.:) You have the right to believe as you want in the UK (at least for now) just as we do here in the United States.

On topic: Although I sometimes carry a pistol, I don't always and I have never had to fear for my safety while out. I am out so seldom en femme that perhaps I just haven't had the exposure to that type of behaviour. I did enter a support group meeting at an Austin restaurant with two other crossdressers and heard a bit of laughter from a male diner. Heck, he may have just heard a funny joke or maybe he thought we were amusing. I didn't feel threatened though. Hehe, well, at least two of us did have pistols in our purses.
:roflmao: O

:) Olivia

Scotty
07-25-2009, 12:20 AM
"A well-regulated militia being necessary..."

Well Regulated - by definition means - equal to "Regular army" - read the constitution about males 17-45 being in the militia and required to have their own rifle of same make/caliber. It's spelled out pretty clear.

But we're not here to argue that, for *OR* against.

To protect yourself, use Martial Arts - period - you can't stop bullets with it but you can protect yourself.

Mace (CS) or Pepper Spray (There is a difference) - you can get lax with it and forget it, lose it, get your purse stolen.
Cans go flat or lose their pressurization - too much reliance on an object..

I am for firearms, HOWEVER - you cannot carry firearms into places that serve alcohol.......so those are out..

I cannot get my hands stolen, Karate literally means "empty hand" - learn it or take some self defense classes but practice practice practice.

Or take up boxing and buff out, but at least with Martial Arts you'll work up some hip muscles and get a feminine shape !! (There is some validity to that but the excercise rocks).

jazmine
07-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I've actually thought I was going to die twice in my life, due to crappy carbon based life forms.........& I wasn't even dressed at the time. The thing is, listen to your gut instinct, don't be naive, and be prepared for anything. Don't let worrisome "what-ifs", rule your life, but then again don't walk around with blinders on.

tonya2
07-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Be aware of your surroundings and who is in your area. I always carry a auto blade or a piece when I can. But I find that using common sense and not doing stupid things in the wrong place works for the most part. I have not been out in public dressed yet so I can't say what might happen when I finally do that. Again, I think common sense will prevail. Had one situation in PV, Mex where being in the moment and aware of what was going on saved the day/night. My gg at the time and I were being stalked by a couple of would be muggers, once I picked up on what was about to come down was able to redirect and avoid the situation. Common sense and gut feelings will never let you down.

Tonya :2c:

AmandaM
07-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Get with the times. There's only one interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. You want to talk reasonable gun control, fine, but it's a right as much as the other 9 first amendments. You cannot refute English grammar, the debates behind the BOR, all early court cases, etc. The only inclination that it is not an individual right is from 20th Century leftist courts. In other words, the enemies of freedom.

Nicki B
07-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Why does this discussion have to be hijacked to talk about the freedom to carry guns... :rolleyes:

Why? Please feel free to believe what you want. It really is OK. I don't live in fear. I do take precautions. I am a responsible gun-owner who takes the responsibilities of that ownership quite seriously, much as I take the Second Amendment. If that bothers you, or any others here, then , well, I'm sorry.:) You have the right to believe as you want in the UK (at least for now) just as we do here in the United States.

And yet, so many of you do appparently live in fear - that's why you cling to your security blankets - a fear incomprehensible to so many of us who don't live in a society where they are so very readily accessible.

I'm not afraid of guns - to me they are tools - but in the hands of people who don't really know what they are doing, they can turn an unpleasant incident into a really bad one. (And I'd count many of the police firearms officers I've met in that category).

But my major problem is the false sense of security (and power) they engender. I used the word 'security blanket' in a previous post, but no one picked up on it - it's so very true..

On topic: Although I sometimes carry a pistol, I don't always and I have never had to fear for my safety while out. I am out so seldom en femme that perhaps I just haven't had the exposure to that type of behaviour. I did enter a support group meeting at an Austin restaurant with two other crossdressers and heard a bit of laughter from a male diner. Heck, he may have just heard a funny joke or maybe he thought we were amusing. I didn't feel threatened though. Hehe, well, at least two of us did have pistols in our purses.

But if you had felt threatened, you could have killed someone? :wall: That sort of thinking is where there there is such a huge cultural difference..

Olivia
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
But if you had felt threatened, you could have killed someone? :wall: That sort of thinking is where there there is such a huge cultural difference..

Please, what part of "responsible" do you not understand?:brolleyes:

Listen, carefully, if I felt like my life was being threatened, or the safety of my family was in jeopardy, yes, I could kill someone. Do you mean to imply that you would(or could) not? Well, that is your decision to make and live with. I am quite comfortable with mine. Would I want to kill another person? Of course not. I'm quite aware of the moral, legal and social ramifications. If you are comfortable in your culture, with your attitudes and mores, then good for you. Live your life that way. If you don't understand our culture, then get over it. All the Pollyannas in this world will not change the reality.

Our "culture" (and I use that word loosely, lol) seems to, in turns, fascinate, repel, confuse, amuse and just confound the devil out of many of you from overseas. There are myriad reasons why we are so different from our cousins in the mother country. One of them is that the original colonists from England were the people who weren't afraid of the New World. They risked their lives just making the voyage, and when they arrived, they were faced with a howling wilderness, where death was a daily possibility in so many ways. They were the people who sought a new life free from so many religious, social and political restraints found at home. They were the type of people who, in short, took care of themselves.

Today's American culture owes a lot to those colonists and settlers. Americans are a different breed. Brash, assertive, bold,(yes, and here one may add all sorts of adjectives both fair and foul) they are the progeny of that original impulse to brave the Atlantic Ocean and tame a continent full of danger, beauty and potential. Thank you for those first English-Americans. I believe they were a far-cry from so many now clinging to an ever-increasing "Nanny State", looked to hopefully provide everything for it's citizens from the cradle to the grave.

Nikki, no doubt you mean well. You just don't get it. But that's ok. I don't get your rationale either. But, ya know what? I'm just alright with that! You should be too! :) O

Nicki B
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Please, what part of "responsible" do you not understand?:brolleyes:

Well... The bit I quoted?

If you don't understand our culture, then get over it. All the Pollyannas in this world will not change the reality.

But often what people here see as 'reality' is not always how others see 'reality'. Reality is always only relative. Unfortunately some americans seem to assume that theirs is the only reality and that they must be right. Just look back up the thread to see that there are other possibilities?

Nikki, no doubt you mean well. You just don't get it. But that's ok. I don't get your rationale either. But, ya know what? I'm just alright with that! You should be too! :) O

Precisely. That implies both sides need to listen and try to understand - not immediately assume the other is wrong? Very rarely in this world is there only ever ONE WAY? :)

AmandaM
07-26-2009, 03:25 PM
<<And yet, so many of you do appparently live in fear - that's why you cling to your security blankets - a fear incomprehensible to so many of us who don't live in a society where they are so very readily accessible.>>

I think it stems from Lexington and Concord, where the British Army was ordered to march on the armory and confiscate all civilian arms. Civilians were ordered to store their arms in the armory previously. The colonists got wind of that, and the rest is history. I do not fear men. I figure I can take most of them anyway. But, I am suspicious of anyone who says I cannot be armed. Based on history, this is a logical suspicion. You say paranoid fear, I say those who won't willingly arm themselves to possibly defend themselves are ignorant of human nature.

Shelly Preston
07-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Since you wont get away from gun talk

This thread is closed