PDA

View Full Version : It just ain't fair

suzanne
07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I saw this in the local paper today and I thought it would be a good thread starter. The article, in the fashion section was titled "The Boyfriend's Back" and begins like this:

"Ask any red-blooded man if there's anything sexier than a woman wearing his clothes and the answer will almost always be no.

The boyfriend look first surfaced when Diane Keaton introduced oversized blazers, baggy trousers, ties and vests to women's wardrobes as the title character in the 1977 Woody Allen flick Annie Hall."

It goes on to say how this is one of the hottest trends. Yada yada yada. GRRRRRR

I know, it's nothing new. We all know the world accepts crossdressing in one direction only. It's just that much more galling when it's spelled out so plainly in black and white.

Persephone
07-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Have you checked yourself out wearing only bra and panties and an oversized men's shirt? Heck, I think it even looks sexy on me!

sometimes_miss
07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
O.k, here it is. Most men want to own their pretty girlfriend; in fact, for much the world over, men DO own their women, at least that's the way many societies see the relationship, the woman is the property of the man to do with as he pleases. In sharp contrast, most women like to feel 'owned' by the guy they're in love with; taken care of, protected (but if we display any feminine, submissive characteristics, they feel uneasy, because they fear we won't be able to protect them which is one reason they're uncomfortable with us any female role or attire). Hence why the guys like the girls in our shirts, making us breakfast after taking them to our home the previous night; they are 'ours', at least for that moment (and I've found that I don't really want to 'own' a woman; their upkeep and maintenance costs are absurdly high!). Besides, we know there's nothing on under that shirt she's wearing, and makes us want to 'go again'. Mmmmmm.

PhillyGuy2Girl
07-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Suzanne,
I know exactly how you feel.My wife can go out in dungarees and a T shirt and no one would blink an eye, but I dare to go out dressed up in my spaghetti strap top and short shorts with wig and make up,everyone would be staring and making comments. We just have to grin and bear it unfortunely.

Felicity

Diane Smith
07-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Actually, I challenge the premise of the columnist quoted originally.

Personally, I find the "Annie Hall"/menswear look a total turnoff, and I would probably never be attracted on first sight to a woman dressed that way. I kind of reluctantly concede that it can be a neat, clean, even businesslike look in certain settings, but it just doesn't set off any kind of sensual/sexual reaction in me.

Now I might find it cute if a girlfriend wanted to borrow one of my boy shirts for a leisurely morning at home or something, in the sense that I would appreciate she was claiming something of mine as a demonstration of affection. But the actual appearance of it wouldn't do anything at all for me, and I would be highly unlikely to want to jump her bones as a consequence of seeing it. I'd be just as pleased, and much more turned on, if she borrowed my nail polish or garter belt!

- Diane

Cheshire Gummi
07-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I can't begin to understand what's happened to fashion and the popular opinion of beauty. Women with no curves strutting around in clothes that look like the time-space continuum threw up on them, with a bunch of flamboyant men in plaid suits almost arbitrarily saying catty things about this while praising the bejesus out of something equally hideous.

Then you hear crap like this. Some downright ridiculous generalization some bloggers ripped from the pages of Esquire and BAM, suddenly it's law that every man must be attracted and all women must attain. The neon-yellow spandex and chiffon headdresses are out and now it's all leopard print and a flippin' gladiators breastplate! Long live fashion!

Forgive me if any of you girls actually dig on modern fashion, but I am afraid I cannot. It scares me. Oh well... what can ya do?

Personally, I'm just going to sit here and brood to some Depeche Mode while I wait for hip huggers to come back.[/rant]

MissConstrued
07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
"Ask any red-blooded man if there's anything sexier than a woman wearing his clothes

Especially my dresses... :D

Barbara918
07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
...but I dare to go out dressed up in my spaghetti strap top and short shorts with wig and make up,everyone would be staring and making comments.

Imagine if you tried that without the wig and makeup.

Angelofsomekind
07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
I would think it was sexy to see my wife in my clothes. Of course that would mean she's wearing 4" heels, a corset, and a little tight skirt.

Stitch
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I tried on my boyfriends clothes the other day as he was dressing. The shirt and trousers he discarded on while he slipped into a frock went right over my clothes. I think I look positivity adorable in his clothes. :heehee: But then they are all several sizes to big for me and it makes me look tiny. Not something to go wondering around outside in, but fun none the less.

When I get cold I happily raid his wardrobe for a big stripy jumper. The sleeves come down to my knees.

I can see where the appeal comes from for men. Like I mentioned, when I wear my boyfriend's clothes, it makes me appear smaller.. which in a way makes him feel more protective towards me. That being said, my personality and fashion sense leans towards cute rather than Man eater.

Incidently, for people who want others to accept what they wear I can't help but feel that many of you sound fairly judgemental on what women wear. :straightface:

kellycan27
07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
93611 What is not sexy about this pic...? A woman can look sexy in a potato sack..get over it!

TxKimberly
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Actually, I challenge the premise of the columnist quoted originally.

Personally, I find the "Annie Hall"/menswear look a total turnoff, and I would probably never be attracted on first sight to a woman dressed that way. . . .

I'm with Diane - it does nothing for me

ReineD
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Now I might find it cute if a girlfriend wanted to borrow one of my boy shirts for a leisurely morning at home or something, in the sense that I would appreciate she was claiming something of mine as a demonstration of affection.

That's the whole idea! And the secret hope is to leave her 'scent' on the item of clothing so that you will remember her the next time you wear it. ;)

The Annie Hall look took it way over the top in an effort to create the "sexy-young-waif-in-her-boyfriend's-shirt-with-nothing-else-on-underneath" meets the "new-independent-woman-who-feels-confident-enough-in-herself-to-wear-anything-and-assert-her-independence" look.

The style didn't do much for me either. It was more iconic and as I recall, there weren't many women I knew who dressed like this. In the late seventies, I wore very feminine skirts, dresses and heels to work every day.

dawnmarrie1961
07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Suzanne, no offense intended , but your use of a Woody Allen film as an example of Women Style of Clothing is mildly disturbing. His characterization of the everyday female have more of an Andy Warhol anorexic model flair to them and are hardly representative of the robust Modern Women that normally see on the street everyday. Diane Keaton , although quite lovely in her own way , is more of a butch babe Jody Foster, also equally attractive type. But both lack the physical substance to be sexy in terms of Female form. Of course that film was made in 1977 when skin and bones were norm for the fashion industry. That was then, this is now. Today's Woman has evolved beyond the need to conform to the narrow standards of yesteryear in favor of a more natural and healthy look.

That's just my opinion.

vivianann
07-23-2009, 01:50 AM
I would love to see a sexy woman in my pretty dresses also.

rebecca_morris_75
07-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Suzanne, no offense intended , but your use of a Woody Allen film as an example of Women Style of Clothing is mildly disturbing. His characterization of the everyday female have more of an Andy Warhol anorexic model flair to them and are hardly representative of the robust Modern Women that normally see on the street everyday. Diane Keaton , although quite lovely in her own way , is more of a butch babe Jody Foster, also equally attractive type. But both lack the physical substance to be sexy in terms of Female form. Of course that film was made in 1977 when skin and bones were norm for the fashion industry. That was then, this is now. Today's Woman has evolved beyond the need to conform to the narrow standards of yesteryear in favor of a more natural and healthy look.

That's just my opinion.

Suzanne didn't use "Annie Hall" as an example, the article she read did.

BLUE ORCHID
07-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Have you checked yourself out wearing only bra and panties and an oversized men's shirt? Heck, I think it even looks sexy on me!

Yes I have been there and done that with a long flowing wig and 4" pumps.
.................................................. .............thanks.........ORCHID

gretchen2
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I live fairly close to a college town and when summer comes around and the girls break out the really cool sun dresses and cast off the baggy winter clothes, well I guess that is all I really have to say.

Rachel Morley
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
It goes on to say how this is one of the hottest trends. Yada yada yada. GRRRRRR!!
I get where you're coming from as I too (in the past) used to get "wound up" when hearing this sort of stuff .... BUT ... I wanna tell you that the more I dressed and embraced CDing in my life the less I felt annoyed about these sorts of stories. I think it's likely that you're feeling this way because you can't dress as much as you want to right now and so it feels unfair. Once you get to a point in your life where you can dress pretty much whenever you want to, I think you won't feel this way any more .... at least, that's how it was for me :2c:

Melinda G
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Life isn't fair. never has been.:sad: