PDA

View Full Version : My Investigations of dressing at work

sandra-leigh
07-23-2009, 12:58 AM
There were some recent events in my life in which there was a possibility that knowledge of my dressing might become known at work, through the rumour mill.

I'm not ashamed of my dressing, and I've been stealth-dressing at work more and more for more than 2 years (pretty much all the time now) -- but I didn't want my workplace to be ambushed by the rumours and suddenly have to deal with them with no clue about the truth and no workplace plan as to what they would say; and I didn't want to be entering into that situation without any idea as to what was or was not officially acceptable at work.

I started by asking about the workplace dress code. It turns out that there is none, except that the clothes must be appropriate for the job at hand, and that some of the specialized equipment must stay in certain areas for safety reasons.

So, with that information in hand, I spoke (with assurances of confidentiality) to our Human Resources department. I was, I admit, in an emotional state and babbled more than I planned -- in particular I started that ideally I would like to sometimes be able to openly wear "female" clothes at work -- but that before doing that, I was planning to see a gender-therapist first.

I did speak about traditional difficulties such as "which washroom?", especially in transgender gender-fluidity cases such as mine where one day I might appear more male and another day I might appear more female.

I did say that I was open to compromises, but that at the very least I would like to be able to walk in the door in the clothing of my choice, possibly change to more neutral clothing upon starting work, and then change back to the clothes of my choice before leaving -- otherwise either have to skip the dressing or go on a hunt for a safe place to change. As our building has only one exit (other than the parking garage), the implication would be that possibly twice each day, I would might be walking in obviously femme clothes through the front lobby in plain sight.

The Human Resources person did not put down or ridicule anything I said, and particularly agreed that the walking in/out should definitely be accomedated. They asked for a few days to check with Labour Relations about whether there had been similar situations in our over-arching organization and to find out how they had been handled there.

In the time in between, the possibility of the gossip I had originally fear was lessened... though since I do go out in public and I'm pretty recognizable even when I'm fully dressed, it's really only time until someone from work sees me out somewhere. (I know for sure it's already happened once, about 4 years ago, but it was someone friendly to me and they just teased me very mildly about it a single time and never mentioned it again.)

Today the Human Resource official had some questions and some answers. The first answer was that there had already been a case of a cross-dresser in another branch of our workplace, but that was someone who came dressed from the first day, and apparently the co-workers accepted with no serious difficulties. The gender fluidity of my situation makes it harder, but if it would make things run smoother, I wouldn't especially object to wearing more obviously female clothes.

The questions.... one was about my desired use of makeup (which is usually pretty light for me, minor foundation as beard-cover, perhaps some mascara, possibly some eye shadow. Another was about whether, when the time came, I would object to them speaking to my (eventual) gender therapists about transition strategies.

Somehow I got to babbling again and talked about breast forms. Which are non-trivial for me: when I put them on, it feels like completing something that was missing -- they are part of my unconscious body image. I even got into discussion about there being potential difficulties about cup size -- in that I have been professionally sized and for my body shape, the recommendation is a 40F to 40G Which of course sounds huge, and it's not exactly something that is subtle. But I don't wear the 40G often, partly because they are heavy (on the other hand, I know I could buy a "light" version of the same model.) But I've worn a DD under a bulkier shirts sometimes and no-one has seemed to notice in passing, and I've worn my C under a blouse through a multi-hour meeting (my boss came into the office and wanted me immediately, no time to take them off), and no-one seemed to notice. I also talked about not caring about being viewed as "a guy with a bust", and that if I were to somehow grow breasts (but HRT has nasty side effects) that I would just say something like, "Oh, it's a medical condition; it happens to some people; my doctor says not to worry about it." With the alternative hypothetically (some day) being implants, but then it would be very sudden, that I'd go away for a while and would come back with a notable bust. (In reality if I were considering implants, they'd probably want me on HRT first in order to make room for the implants.) The HR person said something about how obviously during that hypothetical break time would be the time for education of the employees so that it wouldn't be a shock to everyone when I got back.

Interestingly, the HR person said that me starting to wear breasts forms would probably be easier on people than starting on skirts.

The HR person couldn't speak with absolute certainty on behalf of management, but did say the they felt certain that management would fully support my need to be who I am.

But all of this was put on hold for the moment, as I want to have discussions with the gender therapist first, and I need to have serious discussions with my wife about her tolerances (and her tolerances for what she -sees- might be different than her tolerances for what she knows abstractly is happening but doesn't have to see herself.) Her tolerances might also change with the knowledge that work is prepared to accept greater more obvious dressing from me. Right at the moment, my wife's tolerances are mixed, and it is not a good point at which to push the boundaries. Talk about the boundaries is fair game, though: I can express what I would like and what the probable consequences would be in the outside world; she will likely have counter-offers.

The "change when I get to work" possibility should not, in theory, require any kind of letter from a therapist, but before putting management in the position of having to be publicly supportive of skirts or dresses or obviously female clothes, I would feel more comfortable with an official letter saying "Yes, this is a real condition in this person, and it is harmless to others, and we recommend that obvious dressing be permitted."

I happened, by the way, to find some old postings of mine today, that from their contents and dates show that I've been wearing stealth clothes at very degrees at work since at least late august 2006, and that I've been regularly wearing panties nearly exclusively) since at least some time in 2005.

Gizmo, Debbie
07-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Even with your company seemingly cool with crossdressers it's still gonna be a heck of a nerve wracking to bring out the girl in you to start with.

I wish you well for the journey ahead.:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Kimmy55
07-23-2009, 07:42 AM
For what its worth your posting has prompted me to contact the HR Department at my place of employment to find out their stance on this same subject.Thank You

Paula Siemen
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Ladies,

Having been laid off from work now for four months, I absolutely would NOT PUSH THE ENVELOPE in these current economic times. It seems to me that anyone who does not understand the fragility of their employment condition in these times is not thinking clearly and that alone could be reason enough to find yourself out on the street. Let me tell you from experience that being RIFed is no picnic and certainly a lay-off is not a vacation. My income has dropped by 75-80% but yet my financial responsibilities is virtually un-deminished. This again is NO FUN and causes considerable loss of sleep and full time anxiety. DO NOT give any employer ANY EXCUSSES to lay you off. This is the PERFECT OPPERTUNITY for employers to clean house and cut anyone they have differences with, under the cover of "reduction in force". There are entirely too many angles for an employer to state that you "were not paying attention to your responbsibilities, not a team player, did not have their best interest in mind, were disruptive to the office environment....just whatever they can think off.

My advice to going to the office in-femme is JUST DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandra-leigh
07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Let me tell you from experience that being RIFed is no picnic and certainly a lay-off is not a vacation.

I cannot be RIF'd in my employment situation -- but it is true that if the project I work on were to be eliminated (which would put several people out of work, not just me), then I would be vulnerable. I can't be picked out individually to be laid off.

The most likely time to eliminate my project would be when my boss retires eventually (he's old enough to have gone years ago but doesn't want to leave until his health fails or he stops having ideas... and he still has lots of ideas.) This is an issue that has been hanging over me for years, no matter how I dress. If there was another appropriately qualified person associated with the project who was contributing ideas, then they would naturally take over the project and I and my co-workers would be safer. My boss doesn't like to think about such things because it's like thinking of his own death.... I am one of the few people who has been with him long enough that I can raise the topic with him.

Shelly Preston
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Tess

Its good to hear your HR department is supportive at least so far

There may be a few more hurdles along the way but I am sure between you a solution will be found :hugs:

Lorileah
07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Yay Tess!!!!

I am not sure but Canada may have a law (rule) that protects TG's. Here in the US we need and want that and it is going through congress (ENDA). All that said, if your HR is comfortable with it and your boss has no intention of leaving (why should he as long as he keep making money for the company?) I hope that you feel more relaxed dressing and they see an increase in profits and production. So go for it!

linnea
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Employers in many areas would be remiss to take action against an employee simply because that person crossdresses. However, your idea of going slowly--forms before skirts--is a good one.

Good luck.

Joni Marie Cruz
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Tess-leigh,

Good for you, hon. I do agree with Paula for others who are thinking of coming out but are not exactly in the fortunate position you are. I congratulate you and wish you the best. Sometime's a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Hugs...Joni Mari

dawnmarrie1961
07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Tess,
I was already on the road to though transition when I decided to re-enter work in the private sector rather than being self-employed, which had its advantages. I knew that the initial job interview process was going to be the make or break area. I found that simply being honest and straight forward in my answers to potential employer questions about myself worked quite well.
I told them my "condition" would not be a problem because I would not allow it to become one. That pretty much put their minds at ease. I made no extraordinary demands of my employer and they in turn required none of me. No special bath rooms. I told them I had no problem using the men's room. Just keep it clean in there. They asked me what I preferred to be called "Dawn" or "Donnie"? Mrs or Mister? I told them I don't care. Validation is not important to me. Just don't call me "late for work." They would laugh. Which helped them realize they were talking to a real person.

How people see you is a combination of not only how you appear to them but also how much self confidence you exhume. Some one who is unsure of them selves is going to set off alarms in a potential employer. They are going to think "This person is going to be a liability if I hire them. Maybe I shouldn't."

Since you are already an employee you are at an advantage in that they already know your abilities in regards to doing the job you were hired for. So unless your cross dressing is going to cause a decline in your performance or you asking extraordinary demands of the employer to accommodate your life style I don't see why you should have any problems there. I'm glad to see you are doing your homework on the subject anyway. It never hurts to be knowledgeable.

How you proceed depends on your confidence level. Are you ready for this?

If so. Go for it!
Be safe. Be smart.

kellycan27
07-24-2009, 12:11 AM
You must work for a pretty cool company if I understand you right. You want to come to work presenting as female at times and as a male other times, and you want to use the woman's washroom when emfemme and I presume the men's when in drab? So however you happen to feel like presenting that particular day... they will accomadate you, until you speak to your yet to be found gender therapist.

Paula Siemen
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Well, I too felt that I was comfortable in my employment situation. I had been rif'ed once before by this firm and when I returned set about proving that they rifed the wrong person. I had positive aknowlegement from by boss. I had earned the company a VERY substantial bonus and put in countless hours of overtime. I delighted in my work and showed it. My fellow employees seemed to like me. I was dependable and accountable. My employer never recieved negative comment from clients...on the contrary he recieved appreciative comments from the clients. To my knowledge, no one knew of my cross dressing and I had presented oppertunities for jokular comments to test some of my fellow employees with never any gay or transvestite responses returned.

So there you have it. Just how comfortable do you feel in your job security?????

Its your life and your financial future.......I just hope that it does not impact on anyone else like a wife, children or parnets.