PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell

Phyliss Hdson
07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
For the second time in three months I have accompanied my friend Donna to be a human guinea pig, so to speak. Donna is the local Tri-Ess leader and an awesome individual. She spends a lot of time helping to educate people about CDs and the Transgender community.
Several times a year, at the instructors invitation, she attends classes on human sexuality as part of a panel for Q&A with the students, most of which are psychology majors. The panel consist of individuals representing all aspects of the Transgender community.
After a brief presentation by the instructor basically designed to show that there are no real differences between everyone ie, we have families, goals, jobs, etc.. just that some of us are put together a little different. After introducing ourselves and giving a brief account of who we are and how we got there, then the students are allowed to ask questions. If we feel a question is too personal we simply say so and don’t have to answer.
At the beginning of the class we get a couple of odd looks and one or two of those smirky kinda smiles. Most of them prior to this time have had very little if any contact with transgendered individuals. By the time the class is over you can see the change in their attitude. They all come up and thank us for coming and sharing our stories.
And besides being educational for all that attend it is a chance to get out, meet people, and be in a safe surrounding.

Hugs Phyliss

Kathi Lake
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Sounds nice. Wish there was a chapter close to me.

Kathi

LisaM
07-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it was wonderful that you participated!

VeronikaDonahue
07-23-2009, 03:22 PM
If High Schools and Colleges across the nation all offered the same type of program, even if for nothing more than education, we could put to rest alot of stereotypes and prejudices. It would be nice for the first timer to be able to go to a mall or other public place, and not have an entourage of snickering individuals behind them. I know that we all just want to be accepted. I like it when people come to me and ask my why I do it, or how did I get started, etc. I am encouraging, no challenging you to talk to your friend, and try to set up something like that nation wide. It would really be an eye opener, not only for the X-Dressing community, but also for the general public. Would it get rid of all the stereotypes and prejudices, absoultely not, but all we need is just one at a time. That is after all how a waterfall starts, one drop of water at a time, until eventually a puddle forms, and so on and so on. It is nice to know, that you and your friend(s) made a difference in someones lives. Great post to read, thank you for posting it.

tricia_uktv
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
That is brilliant Phyliss and well done. But until there is a greater mass of us out there the education Phyliss was giving will affect only a very few lives. If we can we all need to get out there and be ourselves. If we do that we can force an issue.

Melanie R
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Phyllis,

Are you talking about the Houston Tri-Ess chapter? Who is Donna? I was curious about who is doing that many presentations to groups. As the original founder of the local Tri-Ess chapter and being very active in the Houston TG scene, I like to stay up to date on what is going on in Houston.

JoanAz
07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
I had the honor to Video a good friend's PHD Challange on Transvestisim. It was at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.
Naturally I was in Fem. business suit, knee lengty skirt, comfortable matching Heels.
After the Challange I asked Gordine, was one of the Professors a CD/TS ?
She said no just an unatractive manly Woman..
We had a good laugh.

:daydreaming:

Mya Summers
07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
That sounds like a good thing to do, educating others about who and what we are and why we do it. If we as a CD community can do this everywhere maybe just maybe we can make a change on how people look at us.. thats just my thoughts